Helpful ReplyLockedCakewalk Announcement

Page: << < ..5152535455.. > >> Showing page 53 of 59
Author
CakeAlexSHere
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 577
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/06 18:08:58 (permalink)
Turbo1
Please sign the petition against Gibson to save SONAR Cakewalk.
https://www.change.org/p/...ampaign=share_petition

I assume you mean "for" and not "against".
I don't think a petition is going to change the situation, it's a business, it will be dealt under those conditions (money mainly), not what customers think.

"Lifetime updates" obviously meant within the products lifetime. Right now the product does not appear to be alive.

The medium where the installers lie on does not matter, just take backups. What matters is that the software can be activated.
Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
Cakewalk Staff
  • Total Posts : 6475
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/06 18:13:40 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby anydmusic 2018/01/06 20:34:34
Keni
We are (I am) very sad at these events for sure. I for one continue to use Sonar and plan to do so as long as possible. You and the other Bakers created an amazing piece of work and though it all a wonderful community.

I hope the new year was good to you and the team outside of this and hope as you say, something happens to brighten all our futures.

I will continue to maintain positive thoughts for all of us and dream of a newly empowered Sonar to emerge!

You have the right attitude Keni. Although I have no control over the outcome myself I too hope that there will be a future. I think one thing all users of music software in this age should do is take a step back and think about what it means to support the software from the companies you use. Its a very fragile industry and software is being constantly devalued making it harder and harder for companies to survive. Its tempting to think that companies are huge and will make it without the support of every one of us but that isn't the reality.

Noel Borthwick
Senior Manager Audio Core, BandLab
My Blog, Twitter, BandLab Profile
Cakewalk Staff
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/06 18:16:44 (permalink)
CakeAlexSHere
What Shark was describing it seemed to me is corruption is with project files over several versions.

Being a QA tester as well I've seen this happen with a lot of complex software. What happens is after a while the project file format needs to change, however the code does not allow for fuly backwards compatibility and thus corruption with the file structure. The way to get around this is to write cleanup code to make sure the projects files are "cleaned up". Such is the nature of agile methods Devs can argue this is an enhancement request and not a bug, it gets thrown on the back burner and so the story continues. Another reason could be that the project file format design itself was insufficient or flawed (I do hope that gets published one day btw).

Enough speculation for you I hope.

Again incorrect speculation. We always had a backwards and forwards compatible file format from the get go so this was very rarely the cause of problems. And any issues regarding compatibility were always at the topmost of the list and were squashed even before release most of the time.

Noel Borthwick
CakeAlexSHere
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/06 18:17:28 (permalink)
Fair enough. QA testing of forward and backward compatibility is a nightmare however unless you automate it.
sharke
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/06 19:01:36 (permalink)
Sharke I have a lot of respect for you (as you know I hope based on our past communications) but you are reacting emotionally rather than rationally to this. We clearly said that as and when there was more information it would be presented. Transitioning a company can take a fairly LONG time - it doesn't happen overnight. The fact that there was a transition team of a few people (myself included) obviously means Gibson wants to do something to "transition" the company. So why not wait until such event happens and make up your mind based on facts instead of speculation? I've already said publicly that none of what you indicate as the nightmare scenario would happen since we've already planned for such an escrow situation. Whether I am there or not users wouldn't be left hanging like that. Thats the least we could do to take care of people but I'm sure it will never get to that.

To be fair, I don't think I'm reacting emotionally at all, just the opposite in fact. Note that I'm not one of these posting "This is BS/class action lawsuit/they have screwed us once and they'll do it again/they just took our money and ran/I've just read the news and I'm in tears" kind of ranters. But a rational viewpoint to take would be to consider the possibility that a whole bunch of things could happen in a situation like this, regardless of the reassurances of Cakewalk staff (whom I assume have the best of intentions throughout). Sometimes, making up your mind has to include some kind of speculation. I have a smoke detector in my apartment based upon the speculation that a fire might take place in the future. Humans evolved the ability to speculate for a reason. 

Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]If course there is something on the cards - why would there be a transition team if not? But nobody can predict the future including Gibson so there isn't anything to share about timelines or events till it happens.
Crossgrade offers happen all the time and of course companies are going to jump on an event like this. The timing was poor I'll admit but there wasn't anything we could do to change the past.

There you have it - nobody can predict the future. A transition team is a good sign, for sure - but is that any guarantee that the company will fall into the hands of a new owner? Anything could happen. I'm sure that when you're actually there on the scene, and you know people, and you're privy to certain conversations and meetings, then you probably have a much more confident idea of what is or isn't likely to happen. For the rest of us, we're almost completely blind and we have to take into account every possibility, one of which is that the development of Sonar might never continue where it left off. 

Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]>>Regarding bugs, I cannot shake off my hunch that something really weird happens to Sonar projects the older and larger they get.
That hunch is incorrect. Most of your bugs were corruption related and caused by weird interactions with plugins. Although large projects can expose such bugs more since more memory is used by the app but its highly unlikely to be related to the actual size of the project. I personally investigated some of them and could never get them to happen. Unfortunately looking through a million lines of code to speculatively fix problems can be a huge time sink. We definitely did put in a lot of time to find them and indeed found and fixed many issues you personally reported. As you say even you could barely repro them yourself - so now imagine what it takes for a developer to try and fix it with no recipe and just using imagination!

Looking through my bug list, I can see that yes, some of my bugs were plugin related, but on the other hand, many weren't (certainly not "most"). Also, I often came across problems which I posted about on the forum (frequently including a screencast) but which I never got to submit reports for because I didn't even come close to finding a workable recipe. Many of them were related to stuff like automation, looping, moving clips, internal MIDI routing etc and I could never reproduce them in a fresh project. They only ever happened in large and/or aging projects. For instance, I sometimes come across a situation in which drag-copying a clip with "select automation envelopes with clip" enabled would result in the original clip's automation being destroyed. I'd try it in a new project and it would work perfectly. I frequently run up across weird stuff like that which defies all attempts to recreate in a fresh project, and it sure doesn't sound like an issue with plugin corruption. As another example I will sometimes encounter the strangest MIDI related stuff going on, like notes being triggered in one track's synth when hitting mute or solo on a completely unrelated track. Or recently, I have found that in older projects I sometimes encounter a track which has none of its plugin automation parameters exposed in the automation edit filter. Oftentimes the problem goes away on a fresh launch of the project, making it even harder to pin down. 

I don't think I use any plugins which are "shady" or have a reputation as being problematic. It's all pretty respectable stuff from companies like Waves, NI, Soundtoys etc. And a lot of the problems I had weren't crash-related (although I did have my fair share of crashes and hangs) - many consisted of basic functionality of the program acting weirdly. 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
chuckebaby
  • Total Posts : 13146
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/06 19:22:41 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby pentimentosound 2018/01/12 00:12:16

And to the point Chuckie made about being disappointed that updated info was provided since the announcement: I'm really sorry about that but as much as I believe in transparency, we don't own Cakewalk personally so we have to abide by the process Gibson is following.

Noel,
I edit that comment (and removed that part) because the last thing I want to do is bombard you with a slew of questions and drive you away from this forum. Its a good sign seeing you here and I want to keep it that way.

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

CakeAlexSHere
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/06 19:29:54 (permalink)
I can't quote Sharkes last comment without being seen as a spammer.

Noel could easily state it just takes one plugin to do it, and there's no way you could actually tell from an outsider's perspective.

You could state that you don't experience this with other DAWs using the same plugins.

Looking at the way things were handled from a customer perspective I am stating feedback when logging bugs was poor, often zero, rarely two way.
ampfixer
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5508
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/06 19:37:48 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby VanessaJ 2018/01/07 03:29:51
Nice to see Noel finally making an appearance. I'm afraid it's a bit late to stem the flow of users to new software. I'll keep Sonar installed and leave a candle in the window. My unfounded suspicion is that we'll have a re-branded Sonar in the future but any past agreements re. lifetime updates will be gone. That's where it all falls apart for me. We'll see.

Regards, John 
 I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
CoteRotie
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1112
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/06 19:44:26 (permalink)
 I think one thing all users of music software in this age should do is take a step back and think about what it means to support the software from the companies you use. Its a very fragile industry and software is being constantly devalued making it harder and harder for companies to survive. Its tempting to think that companies are huge and will make it without the support of every one of us but that isn't the reality.

Glad to see Noel commenting, and good to hear there's hope for SONAR going forward.  I completely agree that all of the DAWs have bugs, probably about the same number.  Whether they affect you or not depends on your workflow and the features that you use. 

I have experienced several of the issues that Sharke has, and my point with posting the bug lists earlier was that just because you have not seen bugs in your workflow doesn't mean that others who have must be doing something wrong.

Personally, I thought that Noel and company were doing an amazing job of feature updates and bug fixes on a  monthly basis, and I have always supported Cakewalk by buying every single update (up until I bought the lifetime updates of course) as well as some of the other products.

At this point though I have taken advantage of 2 of the cross-grade deals to learn Studio One and Cubase.  If SONAR comes back I may switch back, and I will continue to use it to access old projects.  I still think it's the best DAW for the features I want and the workflow I use.  Studio One could use some MIDI improvements and Cubase lacks ARA.

Bottom line is I prefer to use a DAW that is being actively developed, where bugs have a chance to be fixed, and where new features are coming.  As I said before it's a perfectly valid choice also to image your drive, be judicious with OS updates and keep using SONAR for the next 10 years if you want.

Wait, wait, what key is it in? 

GA-X58A-UD3 motherboard
Intel i7 950 CPU w/12 G RAM
ATI Radeon 4350 graphics
3 cats 1 crazydog
Lynx AES16/Aurora 8
SCA N72 J99 & A12 pres. Adam A7 Monitors
Win 10  
SONAR Platinum 64 bit 
CakeAlexSHere
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/06 20:08:43 (permalink)
And at this point the Sonar forums disappeared from the home page.

Edit.. my bad, appears to be a minimize/maximize button on home page that got pressed?
post edited by CakeAlexSHere - 2018/01/06 20:45:18
jbraner
Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1830
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/06 20:52:41 (permalink)
It's nice to see you here Noel 😉
And good to hear Cakewalk may have a future. I'm not feeling too upbeat about it though, since even if it gets revived, you'll need to bring on a whole new team of devs (again!) so there will be a big learning curve and there must be a myriad of code that -no one- actually recognises any more - buried in there 😉

Anyway, I'm not going anywhere in a hurry, but I've been playing around with Reaper for the last few weeks, and after a little bit of a learning curve - I can get comfortable with this.

I'll just be making a slow transition, and if anything good happens with Cakewalk - I'll just slide right back.
Unless I get Reaper so customised that I can't move from it... ☺️

John Braner
https://www.cdbaby.com/Artist/JohnBraner
http://www.soundclick.com/johnbraner

- Intel i7 3770K 3.5GHz
- Windows 10 Pro - 64 bit
- Cakewalk by BandLab x64
- Reaper x64
- 16GB RAM
- Asus P8z77-V mobo - using the integrated Intel graphic card (HD4000)
- MOTU Ultralite AVB audio interface
I usually use ASIO set at 64 or 128 samples
er - that's it I think...
julianochrisway
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 36
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/06 21:14:19 (permalink)
Bugs all DAWs really have. I myself am having a strange bug in the latest version of FL that prevents my swapping by presets screen on keylab Essential when in other Daws including Sonar this does not occur.

I have an approximate number of more than 2700 installed plug-ins. All detected and 99.9% of them work perfectly on Sonar. New and old plugins, something impossible to perform on protools. Any Daw that uses a few plug-ins, let's say small combinations of plug-ins and samples, manages to perform well. Now combinations using for example FX Chain (which has in sonar) where I built my own Racks for bass guitar and guitars and still use heavy samples, synths, fx. I've never seen any protools in any version running large amounts of assorted plug-ins and heavy combinations without making mistakes. Not only I, as my friend who uses it tirelessly (she's an engineer) she always complains about plug-ins in Protools. Especially now that she's using a larger stream of plug-ins and different combinations, she told me that she always loses about 30 minutes of work with bugs almost every day. The protools is very good for working with pure audio, when it starts to use many different plug-ins in large quantity happens bugs to close the software and sometimes does not open such project. This is on different computers and interfaces. So I can say that for my workflow in which I consider myself enthusiast in plug-ins, protools does not work. Lucky for anyone who achieves this miracle, personally I do not know anyone who only uses protools who have deep knowledge of plug-ins. Usually it is always the best known and loved by the Avid community. Returning to the future of Sonar. Thank you Noel for confirming what I posted. But what worries us is that Gibson will continue with Cakewalk. I sincerely prefer that they sell Cake to some really responsible company that is willing to change the scenario. It is for example I teach music production and Sonar is the Daw that all my students use. Now I need to upgrade and I'm going to add FL Studio as well. I will continue to use Sonar and hope that this problem is fully resolved.
anydmusic
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 251
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/06 21:41:04 (permalink)
sharke
julianochrisway

So that's it, I made this text about my vision of what happened to the company, putting facts on the table, without creating crazy theories.

I recommend that folks take a wait and see approach over the next few months. It takes time to transition a company to a new owner. The product works great today and will continue to do so for many years even if there were no changes. There is no pressing need to immediately stop work on SONAR and jump to a different product despite other companies bids to acquire Cakewalk customers. I'd personally like to see our customers support a company that actually wants to retain the heritage of this great product and build upon it.

Your last paragraph is certainly interesting and is going to get a lot of people talking. Does Noel know something? Is there something on the cards? Are there potential buyers? Are talks taking place as we speak? However without something more definite, people are stuck with the possibility that Sonar might remain unsupported in perpetuity, and while crossgrade offers are still on the cards then people are going to continue to jump ship. 

If there was a realistic possibility that Sonar (Cakewalk) might survive then the wording of the original statements and the subsequent FAQs should have been different. There is definitely some vague stuff in there like "Monthly updates to SONAR from Cakewalk will however cease during this time." but when I read the various announcements there was nothing that suggested to me that Cakewalk would survive. The subsequent silence, for me at least, confirmed that Cakewalk were finished and if I wanted a DAW with a future roadmap Sonar was no longer an option. I appreciate that its difficult to communicate with the restrictions that apply in these situations but as a user I have to base my response on the information that is available.

There remains one pressing reason for users to switch and that is the current set of Sonar specific crossgrade offers which will eventually end. 

In the final analysis Sonar's Unique Selling Point for me was nothing to do with the features it was the familiarity I have built up over a number of years. Sure it was/is a great DAW but the alternatives are also great DAWs, equally capable but different.

I sincerely hope that Cakewalk does survive but having invested in what I need to move Beyond Cakewalk it would take something pretty amazing for me to switch back.

Graham
Windows 10 64 bit - Intel i7-4790, 16GB, 2 x 256GB SSD
Cubase 9.5
Sonar Platinum (Rapture Pro, Z3TA 2, CA2A, plus some other bits)
Delta 24/96, UAD 1, UA25 EX, 2 x MidiSport,
IKMultiMedia - (SampleTank 3, Miroslav 2, Syntronik, TRacks 5, Modo Bass), Band In A Box, Sound Quest, VS Pro, Kinetic, Acid, Sound Forge, Jammer
Waves MaxxVolume, IR 1, Aphex Enhancer, Abbey Plates
Korg Legacy, VStation, Bass Station
sharke
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/06 22:02:19 (permalink)
One thing that's very clear though - if Sonar was to come back through a new owner, there would have to be some pretty drastic changes. It evidently wasn't selling well under Roland and it certainly wasn't selling well under Gibson so the question has to be asked - how does Sonar build up its user base to the point where it's financially healthy? Whatever they were doing over the past couple of years apparently didn't work.

Each DAW is in some way trying to corner a particular area of the market. You have your standard recording/mixing DAW's like PT, S1, Logic etc and you have your pattern based DAW's like Ableton, Bitwig and FL. Somewhere along the way Sonar was nosed out from the main lineup and never managed to muscle its way back in. Is that because the corner of the market Sonar is aimed at is already saturated with DAW's? It doesn't exactly fill a gap in the market. Are there any gaps in the market? If so, perhaps any future development of Sonar ought to think about accommodating them.

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
InstrEd
Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1276
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/06 22:14:26 (permalink)
julianochrisway
Returning to the future of Sonar. Thank you Noel for confirming what I posted. But what worries us is that Gibson will continue with Cakewalk. I sincerely prefer that they sell Cake to some really responsible company that is willing to change the scenario. It is for example I teach music production and Sonar is the Daw that all my students use. Now I need to upgrade and I'm going to add FL Studio as well. I will continue to use Sonar and hope that this problem is fully resolved.

You might want to contact Acoustica. They have an Educational program and might cut you a good deal now.
Also they have this:
https://www.acoustica.com/edu/

Instred
Chicagoland, IL 

chuckebaby
  • Total Posts : 13146
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/06 23:26:51 (permalink)
I don't think Sonars failure was profitability I think it was their over head of 25+ employees = salary's = large profit turn around = loss of money.

I think if Sonar was to succeed there would have to be significantly less body's.
Which is too bad really because I think the crew they had worked very well together.

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

wtrawick
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/07 00:07:48 (permalink)
I have been lurking on these forums for years (decades?).  I don't believe I have ever posted; that's just me.  Thank you to all of you who have had so much to say over these years.  I have learned a great deal; I apologize for not reciprocating.  I didn't even know that this had happened but was wondering why I hadn't received a recent (lifetime) update.  Then, I signed in to this forum and, quite belatedly, learned something I did not wish to learn.

I must give my condolences to the people who made this such an awesome tool.  Thank you to the Cakewalk workers. You are responsible for so much music.  There are many other great things which are now available to you- find them.

I went through this very thing with my first computer based sequencer, VISION.  Crude and limited by today's standards but a brilliant piece of software in it's day and it was my springboard into the electronic space.  I loved it, but it died.  I love Sonar and, now...

I have such hatred toward the makers of this decision.  Hatred.  Yes I am an imperfect person and I do indeed indulge in hate.  That overpriced Les Paul hanging on my wall? - well, it may be pretty but it has never contributed to my creativity in the way that Sonar has.  I think I hate it as well.

I'll keep using Sonar for as long as possible.  As for that POS Gibson LP, it's destiny lies with Craigslist. 

Bill Trawick
North End Studio
Anchorage AK

P.S.,  As for the Gibson exec's who thought up this debacle, I'm reminded of what my father would say when he was displeased with a persons performance, intellect, or political affiliation; "I wouldn't p_ss down their throats if their GD guts were on fire".  Well said dad.
sharke
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/07 00:21:30 (permalink)
chuckebaby
I don't think Sonars failure was profitability I think it was their over head of 25+ employees = salary's = large profit turn around = loss of money.

I think if Sonar was to succeed there would have to be significantly less body's.
Which is too bad really because I think the crew they had worked very well together.

If the problem is too many overheads, then the problem is also profitability since the two are directly linked. Overheads eat into profit. 

You have to ask then, did Cakewalk have too many employees? It certainly didn't seem that way in its final year - many said their experience of support was that it was almost non-existent (an exaggeration I'm sure, but it definitely seems like support dropped off), and I certainly never got the impression that they had too many developers. Too few, if anything, considering the pressure they put themselves under with Lifetime Updates, which didn't appear to be rolling out in anything like the quantity people were expecting. I got the impression they were operating under tremendous pressure with too few resources. And to me, the bug situation was also a sign. Not that Sonar had more or less bugs than any other DAW (that one's still up in the air), but more that there are so many legacy bugs with years of history that never got fixed. One of the biggest complaints on the forum was that people perceived Cakewalk to be concentrating too much on shiny new stuff instead of polishing the core of the program and squashing old bugs that have persisted across version after version. I figure the reason why so many of those old bugs remain is because either a) they were tied up in legacy code and to fix some of them would require extensive rewriting so as not to break anything else, b) there just wasn't enough manpower to devote any meaningful effort to cleaning them up, or c) both of the above. 

Although perhaps hiring the guy to press the button to open the front door was overkill 

James
backwoods
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2571
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/07 00:39:28 (permalink)
my first sonar was 7 and that had more bugs and less features than later models. It seemed to me at least that especially with x3 and platinum more people were saying the program felt "snappier" rather than "buggy".  

One bug/oddity that persisted with me from version to version and computer to computer and sound card to soundcard was the scrub tool would drop out if overused. But overall over my user lifetime I can say that Sonar was greatly cleaned up-- audio engine for one thing was a hell of a lot more robust

Miket573
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/07 03:06:11 (permalink)
Been using since the early Cakewalk versions sad to see this.
Best of luck to the Bakers and all the support staff.
Freaking Gibson may have to change its name to Titanic things seem pretty disrupted as of late with that organization.
VanessaJ
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 60
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/07 03:22:23 (permalink)
Damn ...

I hadn't checked in here in a while, but I suspected this was the case when the new year came and there were still no updates since October.

This makes me REALLY angry at Gibson, and very glad that none of my money ever went to any product of theirs other than Cakewalk.

Well ... I guess it's a good thing I bought Cubase 9 a few months ago. And I suppose it's good that Sonar should continue to work as it always has. But Sonar has been my main DAW since 2004, so this is very upsetting.

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart" ~ Confucius

Sonar Platinum;  Windows 10, 16gb RAM;  Mackie Onyx Blackbird FW Interface;  4 Keyboards, 2 Native American flutes, 7 guitars, several pedals, a Roland Jazz Chorus amp, some mics, some B/W posters, a roll-y foot massager, partridge in a pear tree (and lotsa' other cool sh*t  )
VanessaJ
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/07 03:26:46 (permalink)
At the risk of drawing the ire of some ...

Is this what we might call "Making Cakewalk Great Again"?

Sonar Platinum;  Windows 10, 16gb RAM;  Mackie Onyx Blackbird FW Interface;  4 Keyboards, 2 Native American flutes, 7 guitars, several pedals, a Roland Jazz Chorus amp, some mics, some B/W posters, a roll-y foot massager, partridge in a pear tree (and lotsa' other cool sh*t  )
CakeAlexSHere
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/07 03:29:47 (permalink)
sharke
One thing that's very clear though - if Sonar was to come back through a new owner, there would have to be some pretty drastic changes. It evidently wasn't selling well under Roland and it certainly wasn't selling well under Gibson so the question has to be asked - how does Sonar build up its user base to the point where it's financially healthy? Whatever they were doing over the past couple of years apparently didn't work.

Each DAW is in some way trying to corner a particular area of the market. You have your standard recording/mixing DAW's like PT, S1, Logic etc and you have your pattern based DAW's like Ableton, Bitwig and FL. Somewhere along the way Sonar was nosed out from the main lineup and never managed to muscle its way back in. Is that because the corner of the market Sonar is aimed at is already saturated with DAW's? It doesn't exactly fill a gap in the market. Are there any gaps in the market? If so, perhaps any future development of Sonar ought to think about accommodating them.

Cold but true.
Darn I so hate the truth.

You know what I really f**king loved Sonar. I guess I was the ultimate fanboy. It's just so sad that nothing smart happened and the propaganda (you know what I'm talking about without mentioning names) screwed all over it, and many were happy to suck it all in. I'm a lot angrier now that when I started writing this paragraph so shall quit whist I'm ahead (or behind), but really this should have been a GREAT product and not a religion, to me that was really the major problem. That is my final conclusion after scanning all this mess and all the discussions here.
VanessaJ
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/07 03:40:11 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby CakeAlexSHere 2018/01/07 03:45:33
CakeAlexSHere

You know what I really f**king loved Sonar. I guess I was the ultimate fanboy. It's just so sad that nothing smart happened and the propaganda (you know what I'm talking about without mentioning names) screwed all over it, and many were happy to suck it all in. I'm a lot angrier now that when I started writing this paragraph so shall quit whist I'm ahead (or behind), but really this should have been a GREAT product and not a religion, to me that was really the major problem.

Well ... as long as Sonar continues to work at the same level it currently does, I'll continue to use it on my PC. If there are no issues with performance going forward, then the only let-down is that there will be no more updates and less (and less) support.
I bought Cubase 9 a few months ago, but I have yet to really dig into it. At least I have a back-up if Sonar goes all wonky on me.
I wondered about this inevitability when they first offered lifetime updates. I couldn't imagine how they would be able to maintain profitability with that format, and sure enough ...

VanessaJ
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/07 04:38:33 (permalink)
Well, the vultures are circling. Just now found this. Cubase crossgrade for Sonar owners:

https://www.steinberg.net...sonar-owners-4579.html

And also this:

https://www.steinberg.net...e_for_sonar_users.html

Folks, this is the FULL version of Cubase's latest DAW (as of Jan 2018), Cubase 9.5, for $339.00 (that's 220.00 off the regular price). You got about 1 week left to jump on this.
post edited by VanessaJ - 2018/01/07 17:39:39

noynekker
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1235
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/07 04:46:04 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby CakeAlexSHere 2018/01/07 15:07:22
CakeAlexSHere
sharke

Cold but true.
Darn I so hate the truth.

You know what I really f**king loved Sonar. I guess I was the ultimate fanboy. It's just so sad that nothing smart happened and the propaganda (you know what I'm talking about without mentioning names) screwed all over it, and many were happy to suck it all in. I'm a lot angrier now that when I started writing this paragraph so shall quit whist I'm ahead (or behind), but really this should have been a GREAT product and not a religion, to me that was really the major problem. That is my final conclusion after scanning all this mess and all the discussions here.

Nice, thanks Alex.

Cakewalk by Bandlab, Cubase, RME Babyface Pro, Intel i7 3770K @3.5Ghz, Asus P8Z77-VPro/Thunderbolt, 32GB DDR3 RAM, GeForce GTX 660 Ti, 250 GB OS SSD, 2TB HDD samples, Win 10 Pro 64 bit, backed up by Macrium Reflect, Novation Impulse 61 Midi Key Controller, Tannoy Active Near Field Monitors, Guitars by Vantage, Gibson, Yamaki and Ovation.

marled
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 251
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/07 09:55:47 (permalink)
sharke
... because either a) they were tied up in legacy code and to fix some of them would require extensive rewriting so as not to break anything else, b) there just wasn't enough manpower to devote any meaningful effort to cleaning them up, or c) both of the above.

I agree to you both, you and chuckebaby. I think probably c) is the truth.

But from my own experience I have learned that it is the death of a software if managers become aware that there is not enough manpower to achieve a target, because they pump in to many heads too quickly and even the best working team cannot cope with that. And as the existing crew is in pressure anyway, they have no time to introduce the new ones. Therefore the new ones bring in a lot of new ideas and views, they want to replace almost the whole stuff, because they do not understand the current code. Additionally beginning from a certain number of heads, say 10 or more, it requires some coordination, say overhead.

All that's why I am convinced that it is best to have a small team of extraordinary people for the success of a software product. In the end this would be the fastest way to the target!
johne53
  • Total Posts : 7
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/07 10:05:58 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby CakeAlexSHere 2018/01/07 12:49:01

sharke
One thing that's very clear though - if Sonar was to come back through a new owner, there would have to be some pretty drastic changes. It evidently wasn't selling well under Roland and it certainly wasn't selling well under Gibson so the question has to be asked - how does Sonar build up its user base to the point where it's financially healthy?

As someone who's been involved in DAW development for over 30 years, I can maybe offer some insight here...

I was involved in producing the very first commercially successful DAW (AMS Neve's AudioFile back in the 1980's). In those days we were selling a mere 16-track AudioFile for well over $100,000 each!! Things are very, very different nowadays. It's near enough impossible to make a profit from just selling a DAW now (I'll explain why later). The real value of a DAW is in using it to sell associated products (for example, controllers / mixing desks etc). I'm guessing this is where it all fell apart for Gibson? Did they even have those extra products to sell? Maybe they could sell plugins with it - but someone buying a DAW isn't necessarily going to want a new guitar.

So why is it difficult to make a profit from a DAW? DAW's have a very specific problem which other hardware and software products don't have... the problem with a DAW is that you never manage to finish it. There's always some extra feature waiting to get added. It literally never ends. This is totally unlike any other audio product. Nobody decides they suddenly want a 9-string guitar for example. Or if you buy a mixing desk, you aren't forever pestering the manufacturer to add extra features. You just accept what you bought. But that's never the case with a DAW. Users always want more features (which is why it's so dangerous to offer lifetime deals). To me, it sounds like Gibson simply didn't understand any of this.

The only way that Sonar will survive is if the development team clubs together and uses their redundancy money to buy the rights. They'd need to find some other company to market it of course - preferably someone who makes mixing desks or controllers - but there are still such companies around.
Cakewalk Staff
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/07 13:50:56 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Mitch_I 2018/01/07 16:29:27
Hi John and Marled,

Lifetime updates had nothing to do with this event. In the business plan and how it was presented to users it was never intended not to offer every feature free forever. The intent was to offer frequent updates where all bug fixes and certain CORE features would be free but major new or premium features would still cost money. i.e. it would be similar to an in-app purchase model. This is the way all software is headed in the future.  You can read more about my announcement about this in the archive of the Cakewalk Blog here. Even in retrospect I think this was one of the best things we did and users benefited enormously from it.

The SONAR team was very small for most of the time in recent years it was at a max of 4-6 engineers - mostly superstar players. I don't hesitate to say that we had among the best in the world. Dedicated people who really knew their stuff and could deliver amazing stuff in really short time frames. Developers at other companies were always shocked when they learned how small our team was. 

To the point about legacy code - that has been a frequent speculation by users and even some developers about why certain things were not fixed. Its a naive and observation however. A lot of the audio code is relatively new so doesn't fall into the legacy category by modern software standards anyway, unless you consider 10 year old code legacy. We had some code that is barely 3-4 years old that is highly complex for someone new to debug. The core issue is code complexity, manpower and the requirement of understanding a huge amount of dependencies and interactions. The audio engine and data model in a modern DAW like SONAR is very complex and to address some classes of problems requires a lot of context (think plugin API's the audio engine, data model and even plugin behaviors), and advanced debugging skills. Additional manpower is not necessarily a solution to this problem since you can add 10 more people and it could actually make things worse if they introduced more problems. Small focused superstar teams are by far the most effective and we had some amazing dedicated people.

I personally know the leads of many of the major DAW and plug-in companies (developers are generally cool people) and in my discussions with them they all face very similar or worse problems. 

Noel Borthwick
pwalpwal
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3249
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/07 13:54:23 (permalink)
thanks for all your recent input noel

just a sec

Page: << < ..5152535455.. > >> Showing page 53 of 59
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1