Helpful ReplyLockedCakewalk Announcement

Page: << < ..5152535455.. > >> Showing page 54 of 59
Author
pwalpwal
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3249
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/07 14:38:55 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk] 2018/01/07 19:19:57
off topic? here's a good read that seems relevant https://www.technologyreview.com/s/401594/why-software-is-so-bad/ it's 15 years old but still

“The classic dilemma in software is that people continually want more and more and more stuff,” says Nathan Myhrvold, former chief technology officer of Microsoft. Unfortunately, he notes, the constant demand for novelty means that software is always “in the bleeding-edge phase,” when products are inherently less reliable. In 1983, he says, Microsoft Word had only 27,000 lines of code. “Trouble is, it didn’t do very much”-which customers today wouldn’t accept. If Microsoft had not kept pumping up Word with new features, the product would no longer exist.
“Users are tremendously non-self-aware,” Myhrvold adds. At Microsoft, he says, corporate customers often demanded that the company simultaneously add new features and stop adding new features. “Literally, I’ve heard it in a single breath, a single sentence. We’re not sure why we should upgrade to this new release-it has all this stuff we don’t want-and when are you going to put in these three things?’ And you say, Whaaat?’” Myhrvold’s sardonic summary: “Software sucks because users demand it to.”

(although these days myhrvold's considered a "patent troll")

just a sec

marled
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 251
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/07 14:48:28 (permalink)
Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
Hi John and Marled,

Lifetime updates had nothing to do with this event. In the business plan and how it was presented to users it was never intended not to offer every feature free forever. The intent was to offer frequent updates where all bug fixes and certain CORE features would be free but major new or premium features would still cost money. i.e. it would be similar to an in-app purchase model.

I read in another thread about this and I like this model very much! And I think such components like the "Adaptive Limiter" or the "Drum Replacer" I would be willing to buy all the time as additions, if the prices were reasonable. I believe also in the success of such a model, because you would get a lot of new users and great loyalty to the company.

The SONAR team was very small for most of the time in recent years it was at a max of 4-6 engineers - mostly superstar players. I don't hesitate to say that we had among the best in the world. Dedicated people who really knew their stuff and could deliver amazing stuff in really short time frames. Developers at other companies were always shocked when they learned how small our team was. 

Great! This is exactly the way I am convinced is best for software development (self an IT guy). Now I totally understand how you could develop such an amazing, if not the best DAW (at least for me)!

... Additional manpower is not necessarily a solution to this problem since you can add 10 more people and it could actually make things worse if they introduced more problems. Small focused superstar teams are by far the most effective and we had some amazing dedicated people.

I do 100% agree to that!
Thank you very much for your recent posts and explanations! And of course for this powerful DAW that I like! I will use Sonar Platinum in any case, without regard what will happen in the future.

Marcel
ampfixer
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5508
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/07 17:59:13 (permalink)
Noels comments are interesting but they shed absolutely no light on the current situation. He maintains that the plan was good, there were world class developers and they were doing great things. But why then couldn't they make any money?
The really nice LP plug-ins, the drum replacer and that amazing adaptive limiter should have been paid for add-ons according to the announced business plan, but they weren't. I'm a lifer and I wouldn't have had any problem paying for them. I expected to pay for them based on the Sonar For Life announcement. But they dropped the ball. No follow-through. The Cakewalk CEO has yet to make an appearance or offer an explanation. Was Noel actually the one running the company and making the business decisions? 
We still don't know anything

Regards, John 
 I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
jamesg1213
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 21760
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/07 18:13:24 (permalink)
ampfixer
Noels comments are interesting but they shed absolutely no light on the current situation. He maintains that the plan was good, there were world class developers and they were doing great things. *But why then couldn't they make any money?
The really nice LP plug-ins, the drum replacer and that amazing adaptive limiter should have been paid for add-ons according to the announced business plan, but they weren't. I'm a lifer and I wouldn't have had any problem paying for them. I expected to pay for them based on the Sonar For Life announcement. But they dropped the ball. No follow-through. The Cakewalk CEO has yet to make an appearance or offer an explanation. Was Noel actually the one running the company and making the business decisions? 

*Presumably because they didn't sell enough copies of Sonar. If overheads and production costs were equal to, or more than turnover, there was no profit.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
marled
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/07 18:16:44 (permalink)
I agree (Again! What's the matter with me?) with you, ampfixer! There is not so much information what will come, but there is information from the past and to me this is also interesting to judge the situation. I think Noel has said that we have to be patient and wait. I understand that he is not allowed to say more, that's business, even if this is cumbersome for us customers. And yes, it is nebulous why they did not sell those plugins, but gave it to us for free! Probably they wanted to get our loyalty like this.
sharke
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/07 18:27:25 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby CakeAlexSHere 2018/01/07 19:21:07
It has to be said that not charging money for the adaptive limiter was baffling. Good quality limiters are primo pieces of kit and people are usually happy to shell out for them. Same with compressors. Now with something like a delay effect, you can see that as a freebie. But a high quality mastering limiter....yikes. 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
anydmusic
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/07 18:52:54 (permalink)
marled
I agree (Again! What's the matter with me?) with you, ampfixer! There is not so much information what will come, but there is information from the past and to me this is also interesting to judge the situation. I think Noel has said that we have to be patient and wait. I understand that he is not allowed to say more, that's business, even if this is cumbersome for us customers. And yes, it is nebulous why they did not sell those plugins, but gave it to us for free! Probably they wanted to get our loyalty like this.

Without any thing tangible to be patient for, waiting is not really a good option. The choices as I see them are sticking with the Sonar version we have or getting another DAW.

Graham
Windows 10 64 bit - Intel i7-4790, 16GB, 2 x 256GB SSD
Cubase 9.5
Sonar Platinum (Rapture Pro, Z3TA 2, CA2A, plus some other bits)
Delta 24/96, UAD 1, UA25 EX, 2 x MidiSport,
IKMultiMedia - (SampleTank 3, Miroslav 2, Syntronik, TRacks 5, Modo Bass), Band In A Box, Sound Quest, VS Pro, Kinetic, Acid, Sound Forge, Jammer
Waves MaxxVolume, IR 1, Aphex Enhancer, Abbey Plates
Korg Legacy, VStation, Bass Station
Kamm Schreiner
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 46
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/07 19:13:50 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby CakeAlexSHere 2018/01/07 19:20:48

“Users are tremendously non-self-aware,” Myhrvold adds. At Microsoft, he says, corporate customers often demanded that the company simultaneously add new features and stop adding new features. “Literally, I’ve heard it in a single breath, a single sentence. We’re not sure why we should upgrade to this new release-it has all this stuff we don’t want-and when are you going to put in these three things?’ And you say, Whaaat?’” Myhrvold’s sardonic summary: “Software sucks because users demand it to.”

As a software publisher myself, I can say that truer words were never spoken.
Ademir
  • Total Posts : 33
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/07 19:14:36 (permalink)
Good afternoon to all members.
I do not think it's really the end of SONAR ... I still hope that it will come back soon ...
If it really was the end, why would they offer free licenses for SONAR HOME STUDIO + Rapture Session & Big Fish Audio Loop Collection?
If it really was the end of the product, there would be no more interest in publicizing and winning more customers.
I just got my free license and I'm already downloading it directly from the official website
For those who are interested, here is the link:
https://thesoftware.shop/...udio-giveaway/#buy-now
SONAR is the best DAW of all time ... I will not move to another, unless I have to do it ... Be patient, do not change software yet ... SONAR will still work for a long time , even if he dies definitely ...
Cakewalk Staff
  • Total Posts : 6475
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/07 19:30:04 (permalink)
ampfixer
Noels comments are interesting but they shed absolutely no light on the current situation. He maintains that the plan was good, there were world class developers and tthey were doing great things. But why then couldn't they make any money?

There is no Cakewalk CEO and hasn't been one for over 5 years. I was co-general manager last year and take accountability for the decisions in that year obviously. Regarding the LP's, had I been in charge of the business side this year all I can say is that they would definitely have been an in-app purchases :) Those are amazing plugins and the guys who developed it were top notch. 

Noel Borthwick
Senior Manager Audio Core, BandLab
My Blog, Twitter, BandLab Profile
jbraner
Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1830
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/07 19:50:09 (permalink)
Lifetime updates had nothing to do with this event. In the business plan and how it was presented to users it was never intended not to offer every feature free forever. The intent was to offer frequent updates where all bug fixes and certain CORE features would be free but major new or premium features would still cost money. i.e. it would be similar to an in-app purchase model. This is the way all software is headed in the future. You can read more about my announcement about this in the archive of the Cakewalk Blog here. Even in retrospect I think this was one of the best things we did and users benefited enormously

This -is- a great model. I loved the idea of just applying small updates to the same program - rather than "upgrading" to a whole new version every year (which was always a PIA as you spent a couple of hours copying all your "settings" and "stuff" from the last version, and got all your configuration right)

John Braner
https://www.cdbaby.com/Artist/JohnBraner
http://www.soundclick.com/johnbraner

- Intel i7 3770K 3.5GHz
- Windows 10 Pro - 64 bit
- Cakewalk by BandLab x64
- Reaper x64
- 16GB RAM
- Asus P8z77-V mobo - using the integrated Intel graphic card (HD4000)
- MOTU Ultralite AVB audio interface
I usually use ASIO set at 64 or 128 samples
er - that's it I think...
sharke
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/07 20:36:56 (permalink)
This is a little OT but after a nice session with the Bitwig demo this afternoon something really stood out to me with regards the idea that Sonar was not doing enough to attract the attention of the current glut of young bedroom producers (surely a huge part of the growing market). And that is the flexibility of Bitwig's FX chains (or device chains as they're called). If you watch any course in the production techniques of modern genres, you're going to see a lot of layering and parallel processing. A lot of stuff is divided into frequency bands and processed separately. Examples would include things like isolating the mids of a bass track and saturating them. Or compressing just the highs of an unruly synth patch. Or splitting something out into mid/side and compressing just the sides.Splitting the signal in an fx chain like this has infinite creative possibilities, and modern producers are exploiting these possibilities in their productions. 

Of course none of this is impossible with Sonar. You can use aux tracks or buses. There are 3rd party plugins which offer separate left/right, mid/side or band processing. However, Bitwig (and I believe Ableton) has this functionality hard baked into their fx chains and it's a piece of cake to set up. Any "device" can have its own fx chain - devices in those fx chains can have their own fx chains and so on. So you can have these recursive chains going on. And at any point, you can split the signal for parallel processing - you just insert the appropriate signal splitting devices. For instance, there is a Multiband FX device - you adjust the crossover frequency, and the lows and highs each have their own fx chain. Same goes for mid/side and L/R. 

If you frequent places like EDM production forums, you quickly see that the kids are now heavily invested in this style of production. DAW's like Bitwig and Ableton make it easy, and this ease is very apparent in the tutorial videos made with these programs. In more traditional DAW setups like Sonar and ProTools, it takes a lot more effort (and 3rd party investment). The ease and convenience of being able to do this kind of processing in one single track without having to set up auxes and sends has been very enlightening for me. I always felt like this was a direction the ProChannel should have taken. 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/07 21:27:40 (permalink)
VanessaJ
Well, the vultures are circling. Just now found this. Cubase crossgrade for Sonar owners:

https://www.steinberg.net...sonar-owners-4579.html

And also this:

https://www.steinberg.net...e_for_sonar_users.html

Folks, this is the FULL version of Cubase's latest DAW (as of Jan 2018), Cubase 9.5, for $339.00 (that's 220.00 off the regular price). You got about 1 week left to jump on this.

Worst cross grade price of the season I tell ya.
bapu
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/07 21:36:22 (permalink)
Noel, Thanks for dropping in and doing what you can dispel many false speculations. Even as a programmer who should be "in the know" I'm prone to them from time to time about software I've not developed. Imagine what a non-programmer can speculate on.

And really how many marketing "experts" are on this forum? By my count everyone here fancies themselves at least an intermediate marketing guru.
bapu
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/07 21:37:08 (permalink)
And for the record, I've yet to uninstall SONAR and have no immediate plans to do so.

backwoods
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2571
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/07 21:41:45 (permalink)
you'll be like the last guy on the  Xbox Halo server bapu- https://www.kotaku.com.au...y-halo-2-on-xbox-live/

sharke
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/07 21:49:33 (permalink)
backwoods
you'll be like the last guy on the  Xbox Halo server bapu- https://www.kotaku.com.au...y-halo-2-on-xbox-live/

I feel like that right now. My apartment building got sold to a big real estate company which is now trying to clear everyone out so that they can gut the place and turn it into pricey condos. Most people here have been rent stabilized (I only pay $900/month and it's Manhattan), and they managed to get them out with the most ridiculously low cash deals (like $10,000). I'm staying put, they'd have to offer me half a million at least. As such, I'm one of I think 3 people left in the building and it's eerily quiet. I'm the only one left on my floor. Having no neighbors has been great for audio production. 

James
e2studio
  • Total Posts : 22
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/07 21:58:30 (permalink)
Thanks Noel Borthwick for your informations 
I won sonar since 4 was released,  then I've had Sonar4, - 8 - 8.5 - X1 - X2 - prochannel(whit all suite)- X3 - Platinum.
I have no intention of giving up Sonar for at least another year (I think it will continue to work considering that my DAW has an MB intel DP55SB  and an I5 750), sincerely hope that Cakewalk will be acquired by someone crazy enough to believe that they have the best product a studio can have for their customers.
I really hope that a person so crazy to believe it, I hope for me and for all those who do not want to leave Sonar ... now a companion of almost 1000 songs.
I'll be wait ...

elix from englandbross

#cakewalkdontdie 
haydn12
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 322
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/07 22:26:18 (permalink)
Noel,

I'm amazed how much you guys have done with the size of your team! Didn't realize your team was as small as it was.  I work at a company that has about 100 developers.  We have had outages that have taken down our whole external customer website this past week and have many ongoing issues that the developers are having issues resolving.  We have 20+ people working on these issues right now.  

I don't think most people on this forum realize how small the actual music industry is.  Most of the companies only have a handful of employees.  Pirated software cuts into their profits tremendously.  Many sample libraries sell no more than 1,000 copies.  The competition is fierce and most of the market is flooded with too many products.  

I have used Cakewalk since the 1st version for Windows.  In all these years I've only run across a handful of bugs.  I've had maybe one crash per year on average.  I wish more software was this stable!  My projects usually have 100+ tracks with a large amount of plugins.  I get an occasional bug from time to time but most aren't show stoppers.  More than half were traced back to corrupted files when I had memory issues on my computer.

I'm playing the waiting game to see what happens with the future of Sonar.

Jim
CakeAlexSHere
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 577
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/08 00:10:36 (permalink)
haydn12
I don't think most people on this forum realize how small the actual music industry is. 

There is a music industry...?
Cactus Music
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/08 00:38:54 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Del 2018/01/08 18:25:57
Thanks for the updates Noel. I'm not leaving.  

Your silence about what is happening is actually reassuring to me that something is  happening. I would not expect anybody in your position to comment at this point as plans or hopefully deals are being made. 

As it is I have a good backup plan for splat and if all else fails I'm back to x3e. I can't understand those who blew hundreds of dollars just because they were panicking. 

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

CakeAlexSHere
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 577
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/08 01:14:30 (permalink)
Cactus Music
I can't understand those who blew hundreds of dollars just because they were panicking. 

Panicking?

People moved to other DAWs because they read this:
http://www.cakewalk.com

...and were given decent offers for other DAWs.
A dwindling customer base is becoming ever smaller and the staff are no longer around.

I don't see any panicking, maybe a little anger that can't be directed anywhere useful.

If the change on the activation mechanism does get released this month for all the products (not just Sonar, there is Z3TA and Rapture Pro etc to consider) then I fear there will be more anger.

As Noel no longer works for Cakewalk I'm not sure how any of this is reassuring, unless you feel it is safe in the hands of Gibson considering its current situation

Even if Cakewalk got "saved" I doubt it will be made to compete against other major DAWs, it will probably be more bargain bucket app. The dream of it being a major player is certainly over.
InstrEd
Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1276
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/08 01:15:02 (permalink)
I don't look at it as panicking. This happening got me to explore other options for a DAW.
Finding out there are strengths and weaknesses in them all. In each I got some instruments to use. Even
if they are locked to their respected hosts. I can also use that DAW to record the part and export or if I really
like the VSTi buy it.  Tracktion seems to be the exception here as I believe the VSTi are unlocked.

I do hope Cakewalk makes a comeback and being free of Gibson takes up Overture offer on a proper staff view :)

Instred
Chicagoland, IL 

Mark D.
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 122
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/08 03:42:01 (permalink)
marledI will use Sonar Platinum in any case, without regard what will happen in the future. Marcel

I'm doing that too. Unlike the others, having done the lifetime for Platinum and using Sonar since Twelve Tone days over 20 years ago, I'll say again what the core concern is. I know folks running Cakewalk 8.5 and earlier on older Windows 7 and XP machines, some not connected to the Internet for safety. For them, it runs, it's all they need. Updating to Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum was to have the latest and best and I only have one main PC and a mirrored laptop. The concern is Windows 10 update. It's brutal. I've had to uninstall "Creators Update" twice (well - actually - not uninstall, I had to use my (thank God) latest version of Acronis to restore a working version, as I encountered scores of problems. It just takes a few lines of code that prevents Sonar from opening in the future versions of Windows 10 (since supposedly there is no 11 and beyond anymore). Major updates like that really in some way ARE a new version update. Win 10 after Creators is different enough from the first release to have been Win 11 or even 12. Like Apples's IOS 11 - they are public beta testing garbage.

The update scheme forces them on you unless you disconnect the internet (or disable Update constantly on each reboot (not when you go to sleep luckily, which is what I mainly do) and manually update just those for security (until they fixed the damned Creators Update). Given the subscription models here, given the power of Go Fund Me, and so much more, the one main thing should be keeping a group together, be it the five star programmers there, even if they all work from home (even if just part time) to make sure Sonar keeps opening after you do an install of a Windows 10 update. That's it. Don't care if Sonar puts out one piece of new software. I can't imagine feature updates I'll need in the next decade. I buy every VST imaginable (spending embarrassing money) that will ultimately do everything I need. I'd be happy to pay $50 - $100 a year as a core supporter (call us that then) who just wants Sonar to keep opening projects new and old for the next 5-10 years. Or 20 years (I'll be too old to care then). There always is the chance it could be picked up by another company.

post edited by Mark D. - 2018/01/08 16:31:53

www.westernmastering.com  Production ... Mixing ... Mastering
subtlearts
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2200
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/08 11:48:14 (permalink)
sharke
... If you watch any course in the production techniques of modern genres, you're going to see a lot of layering and parallel processing. A lot of stuff is divided into frequency bands and processed separately. Examples would include things like isolating the mids of a bass track and saturating them. Or compressing just the highs of an unruly synth patch. Or splitting something out into mid/side and compressing just the sides.Splitting the signal in an fx chain like this has infinite creative possibilities, and modern producers are exploiting these possibilities in their productions. 

Of course none of this is impossible with Sonar. You can use aux tracks or buses. There are 3rd party plugins which offer separate left/right, mid/side or band processing. However, Bitwig (and I believe Ableton) has this functionality hard baked into their fx chains and it's a piece of cake to set up. 

Indeed, and those are not the only apps that do it natively. Studio One has Extended FX Chains, Tracktion's Waveform has its Modular Mix Environment, FL Studio has Patcher. I don't know about other DAWs but of course you can use Blue Cat's Patchwork or similar (DDMF's Metaplugin, Imageline's Minihost Modular beta) to sub-host and do whatever you want...

Reaper, by virtue of each track having up to 64 audio channels and a built-in routing matrix, has the ability to set up crazy complex stuff but it's not as nicely dressed up - unless you use the awesome FX Rack script which basically recreates Blue Cat's Patchwork environment on top of Reaper's FX chain structure. This is cool because it avoids sub-hosting, and allows the full range of plugins that Reaper supports (most sub-hosts don't). I've tested it and like most things Reaper, it takes a bit of setup and figuring out, but once you're past that it's deep, flexible and stable. 

Sonar's FX Chains, while quite cool, were not quite there somehow, I always hoped they would get some parallel/multiband/modular love but it didn't happen. 

tobias tinker 
music is easy: just start with complete silence, and take away the parts you don't like!
tobiastinker.com
aeosrecords.com
soundfascination.com
Sonar Platinum, a bunch of other stuff...
kzmaier
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 461
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/08 14:14:54 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby julianochrisway 2018/01/08 14:57:23
Keni
CakeAlexSHere
).

Yes you are indeed claiming a lot based on unsubstantiated anonymous information which is not even fully correct. Its not worth speculating what could or couldn't have happened since that's all would be - armchair speculation. The fact is it did happen - there were issues and situations that triggered this event. Some that could have been changed and some that couldn't.  All I can say and hope for is that I am hoping that will be a positive outcome for the users and the product in the future.

Thanks Noel!

We are (I am) very sad at these events for sure. I for one continue to use Sonar and plan to do so as long as possible. You and the other Bakers created an amazing piece of work and though it all a wonderful community.

I hope the new year was good to you and the team outside of this and hope as you say, something happens to brighten all our futures.

I will continue to maintain positive thoughts for all of us and dream of a newly empowered Sonar to emerge!

Long Live Cakewalk Sonar!!!

Best Regards,
Ken
Bandlab Cakewalk - i5/8G Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 / Boss gt001

www.reverbnation.com/kzmaier

julianochrisway
  • Total Posts : 36
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/08 14:47:42 (permalink)
julianochrisway
  • Total Posts : 36
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/08 14:52:10 (permalink)
InstrEd
julianochrisway
Returning to the future of Sonar. Thank you Noel for confirming what I posted. But what worries us is that Gibson will continue with Cakewalk. I sincerely prefer that they sell Cake to some really responsible company that is willing to change the scenario. It is for example I teach music production and Sonar is the Daw that all my students use. Now I need to upgrade and I'm going to add FL Studio as well. I will continue to use Sonar and hope that this problem is fully resolved.

You might want to contact Acoustica. They have an Educational program and might cut you a good deal now.
Also they have this:
https://www.acoustica.com/edu/

I really love Sonar and have used Cakewalk since the time of Pro Audio. But I have a music production school, and the students are worried. Most of them love Sonar but the concern is that I need to keep staff always using the tools that are standing out in this industry, students always want things current and up to date. Unfortunately I have an obligation to already teach a new Daw they can not expect a huge company like Gibson to solve their pending for loyalty otherwise I will start losing students if my competitors offer current products to them, so I am thinking of FL Studio because currently is the winner of all the polls that I came across and every day more users. FL is very different from Sonar, I do not want any Daw to remember Sonar. I want one that is innovative and that really stands out for me to provide student safety. I am very well paid by my students to keep them updated.

About Acustica: I took a look at Mixcraft and am giving a chance to this DAW, it seemed to me a super intuitive daw, but I have not done a big sweep of plug-ins, the price has also attracted and really the package they are offering to music schools is something I would like Cakewalk to bring back if I simply copied the idea. The price fits in the pocket!
They are also offering migration to Sonar users (everyone wants a slice of that cake)

As for me, personally speaking I'll be waiting for the outcome of Gibson's problem, which Noel said was exactly what I thought was happening. And by no means will I be abandoning my Sonar Platinum, everything is working very well and I'm working on an album with Sonar and it's getting incredible. I will still continue to use in class normally, especially for students who are willing to wait and do not want any immediate migration. But it's important that this issue be resolved at least until April 2018. Competitors are not giving up and are fighting over former Sonar users. This way you will lose a good part of the customers.
Cactus Music
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/08 18:26:05 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Ademir 2018/01/08 21:20:18
Like I've said else where, Why pay money for a DAW like Mixcraft when you might already have Sonar x3e or even earlier versions that are paid for? Mixcaft to me is a nice DAW that reminds me of older versions of Sonar. Give them 5 years and they might catch up. 

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

michael diemer
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1128
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/08 20:00:02 (permalink)
I agree with Cactus. I'm using 8.5 Studio and it's fantastic (for me, of course). I feel no need to buy a new DAW. I did buy Reaper in 2015, and used it until the heinous news about Sonar broke. but then I decided to get my 8.5 Producer working again, since it would be the latest Sonar version I had. It had all the same problems that led me to go to Reaper. So I installed 8.5 Studio. Perfect. I don't know why Studio works and Producer doesn't doesn't. But I can work twice as fast in it than in Reaper. So, unless another DAW is clearly superior to Sonar, why not wait and see what happens? I can see making one purchase, taking advantage of a deal, but buying 2, 3 or more as some people are doing? it just seems like a waste of money. I don't buy something because it's on sale. I but it because I need it. But then, it's your money. And don't forget the time it will take to learn new software, which may turn out to be not as good. Remember, you can use Sonar almost indefinitely if you're careful. 

michael diemer
Intel Quad Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge
32 GB ram
1TB Western Digital Black X2
Microsoft Windows 7 Pro 64
UR22 interface
Bandlab Cakewalk/Sonar 8.5 Studio
GPO-EWQLSO Gold-Vienna SP ED-Cinematic Strings 2

Page: << < ..5152535455.. > >> Showing page 54 of 59
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1