Helpful ReplyFeature Requests + Improvements [New 29/3/2018]

Page: << < ..1617181920.. > >> Showing page 17 of 26
Author
JoseC.
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 471
Re: Feature Requests + Improvements [New 29/3/2018] 2018/05/19 17:27:49 (permalink)
By the way, I use the old Rapture pretty often for that, but probably it is not what any new user would reach for when needing to load a sample.
dubdisciple
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5849
Re: Feature Requests + Improvements [New 29/3/2018] 2018/05/19 17:33:02 (permalink)
Meh... I have plugin solutions now. It’s not quite the same. Cakewalk does a lot of things right like the ease of switching between prv and step sequencer view. Unless they make drop zone integrate with sequencer and arranger , it will still fall short
dubdisciple
Re: Feature Requests + Improvements [New 29/3/2018] 2018/05/19 17:35:05 (permalink)
JoseC.
By the way, I use the old Rapture pretty often for that, but probably it is not what any new user would reach for when needing to load a sample.

I tried the rapture approach and it is a powerful workaround but it’s definitely handing someone a sledgehammer when a tack hammer is requested.
JoseC.
Re: Feature Requests + Improvements [New 29/3/2018] 2018/05/19 17:46:38 (permalink)
dubdisciple
Meh... I have plugin solutions now. It’s not quite the same. Cakewalk does a lot of things right like the ease of switching between prv and step sequencer view. Unless they make drop zone integrate with sequencer and arranger , it will still fall short

Yep, I do, too, both Kontakt and Geist2, but I agree that a simple sampler is needed. I think Dropzone could fill that gap if shown a little love. What extent of integration do you mean? For example, Simpler in Live is just another instrument that you load in a track, there is not much integration beyond that.
AdamGrossmanLG
Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1436
Re: Feature Requests + Improvements [New 29/3/2018] 2018/05/20 14:04:49 (permalink)
Long Running MIDI Input Problem:

http://forum.cakewalk.com/Long-Running-MIDI-Input-Issues-With-Sonar-m3640359.aspx

I hope you guys can get this finally ironed out :)
dubdisciple
Re: Feature Requests + Improvements [New 29/3/2018] 2018/05/20 17:36:51 (permalink)
JoseC.
dubdisciple

Yep, I do, too, both Kontakt and Geist2, but I agree that a simple sampler is needed. I think Dropzone could fill that gap if shown a little love. What extent of integration do you mean? For example, Simpler in Live is just another instrument that you load in a track, there is not much integration beyond that.

For example, in studio one audio in arranger can be manipulated, chopped , etc and a simple right click can send to sampler.
Keni
Max Output Level: -17.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5769
Re: Feature Requests + Improvements [New 29/3/2018] 2018/05/24 17:20:30 (permalink)
Have I previously mentioned this one? If so I apologize, but it continues to peck at me...

Opening PRV should remember the keyboard display/layout I select.

Currently I must re-select each time I open it.

Yes, i know I could keep it open and reduce the situations, but that workaround doesn't often work well for me. I don't use the multidock for this preferring to open to a full screen floating PRV instead...

An example of need is opening PRV to edit drums with AD2...

<sigh>

Keni Fink
Keni - Facebook
Deep Space Records
http://www.reverbnation.com/inexile
http://www.cdbaby.com/artist/inexile
Out Of My Head Music (BMI)

SPlat/MacPro/Dual Xeon 3.06GHz 6-core (12 total)/64GB/Win8.1X64/Presonus 1818VSL/Soundscape SS8IO-1
eve_ripper
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 57
Re: Feature Requests + Improvements [New 29/3/2018] 2018/05/24 17:57:31 (permalink)
I agree to have a new sampler + maybe updated session drummer. It is so easy to use drum rack in Ableton live or Impact for drum sampling. But Drum rack is more user friendly.
Digging sfz files and making drum map is not that easy.
ChrisBlack
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6
Re: Feature Requests + Improvements [New 29/3/2018] 2018/05/25 14:55:15 (permalink)
AAF support please? That would help tons importing and working with files from other DAWs.
Tom B
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 107
Re: Feature Requests + Improvements [New 29/3/2018] 2018/05/25 19:53:56 (permalink)
ChrisBlack
AAF support please? That would help tons importing and working with files from other DAWs.

Another vote for AAF. 

- Tom B.
See the new Cakewalk by Bandlab Forum - Jan 2019.
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: Feature Requests + Improvements [New 29/3/2018] 2018/05/25 22:41:56 (permalink)
dubdisciple
This never worked with Gibson, Roland or original owners,but....
Cakewalk needs an integrated sampler to compete. Not having one is basically ignoring huge chunk of Hip-Hop, Pop, EDM and even some modern rock acts. To be perfectly clear, one can create any genre in any DAW. Whether that creation is practical and intuitive is another thing altogether. Even with Cakewalk being free, it is a hard sell to youth because the hoops I have to jump through to demo modern pop and Hip-Hop are too much.

The people of this forum represent Cakewalks faithful, traditional user base which was not enough to keep cakewalk competitive. Repeating mistakes of past will likely see similar results. The foundation of cakewalk is solid, but needs a major overhaul when it comes to modern music production. Someone like Anderton can come up with clever solutions, but most DAWs have these things implemented out of the box. I can recreate over half of current top 40 songs using FL Studio, Logic, Ableton, Reason, Bitwig and Studio One out the box with no major workarounds. I can’t do that with Cakewalk or even SPLAT. The process requires major third party assistance. I have used Geist paired with Sonar but even that has limitations and again, requires additional purchase without being truly integrated. I have little experience with Ableton and over 20 years with Cakewalk and it was easier for me to show a kid what he wanted to do with the former.

I’m not talking full Kontakt or other advanced product. FL Studio has the simplest integrated sampler with little deep editing ability beyond pitch and envelope but it is effective and super quick. Sample One and Simpler are nowhere near the level of EXS24 but just work. The fact that Sonar has a step Sequencer gives it a foot in the door but falls far short without useful sampler. For now I literally cannot give product away.

It looks like PreSonus just doubled down by improving their pop production features in Studio One 4:
Sample One XT sampler https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96OMEiuHLHM
Impact XT drum sampler https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhKnUOKLCMY
and a new integrated pattern sequencer.

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
abacab
Re: Feature Requests + Improvements [New 29/3/2018] 2018/05/26 01:36:22 (permalink)
ChrisBlack

Yup, I would agree that is probably an important feature to include.  PreSonus just added support for AAF to Studio One 4.  PreSonus Studio One 4 Webcast—AAF and Song Import Data https://youtu.be/qJme1qag-CU

Advanced Authoring Format
https://en.wikipedia.org/...anced_Authoring_Format

AAF is an enhancement to the older OMF format.  https://en.wikipedia.org/..._Framework_Interchange

That means that leading DAWs such as Pro Tools, Logic, and Studio One, as well as video editors from Adobe, Apple, and Avid, etc., can exchange files.  Cakewalk should adopt this format in order to remain an option for professional digital post production tools, and smooth the workflow between professional DAWs.

e-AudioProductions
  • Total Posts : 19
Re: Feature Requests + Improvements [New 29/3/2018] 2018/05/26 22:43:22 (permalink)
Hello,

Nice to see this improvements idea. Thank you for this.

What would be great is a feature with faster or slower playback. Windows Media Player has this option with very good playback speed options. This would help a lot. 
One more thing is a more customizable control bar. For example when editing if you want to toggle the feature Ripple Edit On/Off you need to click the drop down menu of options and go from there. A customizable control bar with any command would be perfect. You could add a button and assign it to what you want. The button would light color when the command is on and turn off when off. Just like hat standard ones in the basic control bar.

Thanks for your time!
CookiesnMilk
  • Total Posts : 9
Re: Feature Requests + Improvements [New 29/3/2018] 2018/05/28 10:21:02 (permalink)
Unless if I am missing something, it would be great to have a global snap to scale feature as well. When you edit midi, it can be quite tedious having to change all midi tracks snap settings.
mariogag
  • Total Posts : 60
Re: Feature Requests + Improvements [New 29/3/2018] 2018/05/28 11:28:07 (permalink)
Keep in memory which midi hw is connected to which port. Right now if you don't on your devices in the same sequence, or leave it on all rhe time, you have to re'configure the port assignement.

What should happen is that once device A is assign to port 1 with instrument A assign to it it stays like that no matter what. If it is off the device could simply be "greyed" and/or be unchecked until the device is turned on.

For me who doesn't keep all its hw on all the time the cuurrent dynamic approach is un-productive.

I haceCbB installed and running.

Mario
parco
  • Total Posts : 92
Re: Feature Requests + Improvements [New 29/3/2018] 2018/05/29 11:24:16 (permalink)
Bug - A files naming bug in 24.4.1.28 [2018.04], with Asian languages names other than English, as I'd ever posted on this thread: http://forum.cakewalk.com/A-files-naming-bug-in-244128-201804-with-Asian-languages-names-other-than-English-m3757994.aspx
Feature - More toolbars in the keyboard lane dialogs respectively, not just the toolbars in the main window.
Feature - Event inspector in the keyboard lane dialogs respectively, not just the one in the main window. More editable parameters in this keyboard dialog event inspector, for all notes, CC commands and automation commands, and support group modification for multiple selected.
Feature - Support more group editing and batch process for multiple selected.
Feature - Individual regular wave editor popup dialogs (not loop construction view), some kind similar to the one in cubase or Sound Forge, with basic audio editing functions like fade, auto trim/crop, channel convertor, DC offset, mute, offline FX apply, etc.......
Feature - Fader automations selective base on dB or linear.
Feature - more editing functions and toolbars in event list and tempo editor, especially batch/group editing like group modifying and compression/expansion.
Feature - Draw-able new midi clips without midi recording.
Feature - optimize the screen for small resolution monitors, notebooks and tablets.
Feature - A new more stable and flexible export output range selector, like loop selector or punch selector, which is differentiated from the general selection, never be cancelled by click other places, and auto export all tracks if no tracks are selected.
Feature - Quick selective upsampling multiples for FX plugins and instrument plugins like 2x, 4x, 8x, 16x, etc......
Feature - Also apply dithering when the export or bounce bit depth target is 24bit. 
Feature - integrate with Izotope MBit+ dithering and Izotope 64bit SRC resampling if possible.
Feature - support encoding AAC and the open format Opus exporting if possible (maybe migrate the export encoding engine to FFmpeg which support MP3, AAC, Opus, wma, ALAC, real audio, FLAC, Ogg, DSD, etc.......? Even the freeware Foobar2000 uses FFmpeg...)
e-AudioProductions
  • Total Posts : 19
Re: Feature Requests + Improvements [New 29/3/2018] 2018/05/29 21:09:12 (permalink)
MAJOR FIX NEEDED FOR THE WAY SONAR SEES MIDI DEVICES AND CONTROLLERS

Sonar identifies MIDI devices by names. So it is confused by several of them with the same name. This means that if you have two identical devices you can only use one at a time as Sonar sees them as one.
The problem is known for years where as other DAWs have fixed this way before.

For example I have two Behringer X Touch Mini devices (control surfaces) When both connected Cakewalk doesn't see them as two different devices. It can only use one at a time. When I try them in Studio One though they are both seen as two different devices and both work as separate devices. However cakewalk in the midi devices sees only one of them. Sometimes it sees two midi inputs of xtouch mini but thinks it is the same one. But always sees only one midi output. So you can't use both of them in Sonar. But in Studio One, Cubase and ProTools you can use them both.

An update/fix for all people working with controllers is needed. And for some people it can be a reason to use other DAWs 

RexRed
  • Total Posts : 453
Re: Feature Requests + Improvements [New 29/3/2018] 2018/05/30 18:57:41 (permalink)
I am trying to capture Cakewalk by Bandlab in OBS Studio so I can post tutorials on Youtube and OBS studio cannot properly recognize the Cakewalk .exe. I try and have OBS Studio capture just the Cakewalk .exe and it only sees it in a tiny window. When I try and enlarge that window the mouse goes all haywire. OBS Studio will capture Cakewalk by capturing one of my displays @4k (I have two displays). Capturing only the .exe window is a better method than capturing the display but it does not work. Perhaps you could look into this. I am sure I am not the only person who will try and capture Cakewalk by Bandlab for posting Youtube tutorials and OBS studio seems to be the best (free) industry standard program for doing this. 
oeai
  • Total Posts : 47
Re: Feature Requests + Improvements [New 29/3/2018] 2018/05/30 20:41:03 (permalink)
Changing Audio Device Profiler. my ASIO supports 100ms and with WASAPI or KS driver i can get 300+, so with high load i have to switch and each time it gets list of devices and supported modes, while i'm not changing devices at all.
So i propose that this function was called once and all setup was stored in .xml somewhere, so if new hardware will be added, then a button "find new hardware" should work fine.
also a quick button to switch from ASIO to WDM/KS or WASAPI/e without changing all other settings (cards, freq, bits) would be nice i guess, maybe this can be as a quick bar menu module with +buffer size change in.
JoseC.
Re: Feature Requests + Improvements [New 29/3/2018] 2018/05/30 21:41:07 (permalink)
oeai
Changing Audio Device Profiler. my ASIO supports 100ms and with WASAPI or KS driver i can get 300+, so with high load i have to switch and each time it gets list of devices and supported modes, while i'm not changing devices at all.
So i propose that this function was called once and all setup was stored in .xml somewhere, so if new hardware will be added, then a button "find new hardware" should work fine.
also a quick button to switch from ASIO to WDM/KS or WASAPI/e without changing all other settings (cards, freq, bits) would be nice i guess, maybe this can be as a quick bar menu module with +buffer size change in.

I think that you have not really understood how this works. If your soundcard supports ASIO all you need to do is open its control panel and increase the buffer. There are no other settings to change, and there should be no need to go switching back and forth between WDM or WASAPI and ASIO. If you, for some reason, decide to use those, all you need to do is run Wave Profiler once, and then use the latency slider from within CbB, IIRC.
jimfogle
  • Total Posts : 463
Re: Feature Requests + Improvements [New 29/3/2018] 2018/05/31 16:13:29 (permalink)
Increase support for CAL scripts by:  1) updating documentation 2) update script language 3) providing script editor tool and 4) create how-to-use tutorials.

Jim F
Cakewalk by Bandlab (CbB)
Sonar Home Studio V23.9.0 build 32
Music Creator 6
Band-in-a-Box, Audacity, ChordPulse
Win 7, i3 cpu, 8Gig ram, 480 Gig Dell Laptop
http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home

SandlinJohn
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 188
Re: Feature Requests + Improvements [New 29/3/2018] 2018/05/31 16:28:10 (permalink)
jimfogle
Increase support for CAL scripts by:  1) updating documentation 2) update script language 3) providing script editor tool and 4) create how-to-use tutorials.

+1 on this one. Good idea. 

Sonar Platinum, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, Intel NUC micro-workstation with 5th Gen Intel i5-5250U, 16 GB RAM and 1.25 TB Storage, Yamaha MG10XU Mixer USB Interface, Yamaha HPH-MT8 Monitor Headphones, Yamaha MX-49 controller synth
parco
  • Total Posts : 92
Re: Feature Requests + Improvements [New 29/3/2018] 2018/05/31 17:29:40 (permalink)
jimfogle

and more official built-in CAL scripts for more other functions as well
abacab
Re: Feature Requests + Improvements [New 29/3/2018] 2018/05/31 20:08:00 (permalink)
This idea may ruffle a few feathers, but something else to consider might be to migrate CAL scripts to a modern, widely supported scripting language, such as Javascript (or one of the others currently available such as Lua, or Python). 

Reaper includes ReaScript which is compatible with Lua and Python.
Tracktion Waveform includes a macro editor that is Javascript syntax compatible.
There are probably a few others.

It would be much easier to get community coding help or support with a mainstream scripting language.  CAL was developed for the task years before other good options were available. 

1. A new scripting module could be implemented in the DAW.
2. Existing CAL scripts could be translated through a separate automated process to the new language.
3. Many free resources and tutorials are available, including extensive online documentation for modern scripting languages.

In any case, I believe a modern DAW should fully support scripting.  I'm not against supporting CAL, just that's not as likely to get a priority for increased support, IMO.

bvideo
Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1707
Re: Feature Requests + Improvements [New 29/3/2018] 2018/05/31 22:42:16 (permalink)
The problem report forum has plenty of backlog. Here is my report from last August that was reproduced with special help from msorrels (Matt).

Simple project that makes popping noises

By rollbacks, I found this noise started happening in the 2016.9 update (22.9), September 2016. The particular feature that stood out was "plug-in load balancing".

So I disabled plug-in load balancing (Edit > Preferences > Audio - Playback and Recording, just below the "Use Multiprocessing Engine") and no more pops. As a separate test, with plug-in load balancing enabled, I set my ASIO buffer to 128. No pops. By default, plug-in load balancing only works for buffer sizes 256 and above.

Pops for this particular project are associated with the plug-in load balancing feature.

W10 pro, Sonar Platinum, Alesis Multimix 16 FW, MOTU Express 128, Gigabyte Z370 HD3P, i7 8700K, 16 Gigs, ssd + 2 X 2T disks, D50-MEX, JV80, A90EX, M1REX
pwalpwal
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3249
Re: Feature Requests + Improvements [New 29/3/2018] 2018/06/01 12:36:31 (permalink)
abacab
This idea may ruffle a few feathers, but something else to consider might be to migrate CAL scripts to a modern, widely supported scripting language, such as Javascript (or one of the others currently available such as Lua, or Python).

i suggested powershell a while back and noel just huffed and puffed about effort versus usage etc, so i wouldn't hold your breath

just a sec

bz2838
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 366
Re: Feature Requests + Improvements [New 29/3/2018] 2018/06/01 15:56:12 (permalink)
abacab

It looks like PreSonus just doubled down by improving their pop production features in Studio One 4:
Sample One XT sampler https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96OMEiuHLHM
Impact XT drum sampler https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhKnUOKLCMY
and a new integrated pattern sequencer.

Studio One 4 Pro also introduced a new chord track, great addition, wish Cakewalk would add this feature, it's really a handy tool for guitar players who are not proficient on keyboards!  

Purrrfect Audio:  Intel i7 7700k (Kabylake), 32Gig DDR4/2133, Windows 10x64 Pro, USB RME Babyface, Sonar Platinum Current
bz2838
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 366
Re: Feature Requests + Improvements [New 29/3/2018] 2018/06/01 16:04:30 (permalink)
Chord track!

Purrrfect Audio:  Intel i7 7700k (Kabylake), 32Gig DDR4/2133, Windows 10x64 Pro, USB RME Babyface, Sonar Platinum Current
Keni
Max Output Level: -17.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5769
Re: Feature Requests + Improvements [New 29/3/2018] 2018/06/01 19:07:31 (permalink)
Here's a little item that wouold be very helpful...

Add an Input Echo button to the PRV's Track List entries....

I get tired of switching back to the Track View and then back again to the PRV....

Keni Fink
Keni - Facebook
Deep Space Records
http://www.reverbnation.com/inexile
http://www.cdbaby.com/artist/inexile
Out Of My Head Music (BMI)

SPlat/MacPro/Dual Xeon 3.06GHz 6-core (12 total)/64GB/Win8.1X64/Presonus 1818VSL/Soundscape SS8IO-1
sanza555
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: Feature Requests + Improvements [New 29/3/2018] 2018/06/03 03:00:12 (permalink)
I'm still setting up my studio in a new location. The only thing that bothers me at this time is the fact that I have a lot of VST 32 bit plugins that used to load with jbridge. They no longer work. Please come up with a workaround for this. I'll be back when I get everything set up.
Page: << < ..1617181920.. > >> Showing page 17 of 26
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1