A PLEA: To Cakewalk and staff.

Page: << < ..678910 Showing page 10 of 10
Author
ba_midi
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14061
Re:A PLEA: To Cakewalk and staff. 2010/12/30 01:23:48 (permalink)
Middleman

Well I have the the inspector docked on the left side right next to the track controls. The compressor showing and the mute/solo is about 1 inch to the right for the track I am working. I agree we all have different ways of working but, it's a new paradigm and we have to adapt a bit.

Sometimes its about being forced into a specific way of working more than it is being able to adopting to something.

I suspect if I did a video showing you how I work and why this is something I'd have preferred, I think you'd have a clearer understanding of why I think so.  Even if you disagreed.

post edited by ba_midi - 2010/12/30 01:24:59

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

http://www.ba-midi.com/music/files
Music gives me life, so I give life Music.
Thanks for listening - Let's Dance to the rhythm of life! :)
Scott Lee
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1120
Re:A PLEA: To Cakewalk and staff. 2010/12/30 16:29:21 (permalink)
I want my unmute all mute all / solo all unsolo all buttons available again without having to bringup the console bar every time (or at least make a key that is bindable to that option. It makes no since to me that they would not have this as a BIND or ACT function)

Scott Lee (ASCAP)
SFX Media 
Song Composer / Engineer / Audio Director

http://www.youtube.com/user/Dezacrator?feature=mhee

ba_midi
Re:A PLEA: To Cakewalk and staff. 2010/12/30 16:47:06 (permalink)
Scott Lee

I want my unmute all mute all / solo all unsolo all buttons available again without having to bringup the console bar every time (or at least make a key that is bindable to that option. It makes no since to me that they would not have this as a BIND or ACT function)

And here's another one I think should not have been removed:

In prior versions I could select track simply by clicking anyhwere in the track header AND I could then use a keybinding to either MUTE or SOLO it.

NOW I am FORCED to click only on the track NUMBER to do the same thing.  It's not sensible at all.

And to those who might say what's the big deal about that?  I say - we have very different needs and workflows, simple as that.   There really are good reasons why that's important to me and why it is a feature that should not have been changed.   It simply slows me down which it didn't before.  That's a good enough reason for me to not like this new approach to this function.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

ba_midi
Re:A PLEA: To Cakewalk and staff. 2010/12/30 16:49:20 (permalink)
Scott Lee

BTW. the Umute ALL and Unsolo ALL does exist in the control bar now.  Before, we had more than one way to do it though (it was in the toolbars AND in the status bar down below previously).

Now there's only that one way in the control bar (other than hotkeys which only work in some scenarios and not others).

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

Scott Lee
Re:A PLEA: To Cakewalk and staff. 2010/12/30 18:07:02 (permalink)
Hi Billy,

Indeed but I never have the Control Bar open due to TV space. It use to be great cause after muting a bunch of tracks, it was a 1 click unmute all. It wouldn't be so painful if I could just have a BIND or ACT to those buttons, which really surprises me I cannot.

Scott Lee (ASCAP)
SFX Media 

Scott Lee
Re:A PLEA: To Cakewalk and staff. 2010/12/30 18:29:05 (permalink)
"NOW I am FORCED to click only on the track NUMBER to do the same thing.  It's not sensible at all.

And to those who might say what's the big deal about that"

I get you Billy. If Cakewalk starts to eliminate icons or click able features, they at least should have some sort of hotkey access at a bare minimal.  It seems while some of the UI is a blessing now in X1 that really shines, other areas actually aren't as efficient in design and workflow.

post edited by Scott Lee - 2010/12/30 18:30:45

Scott Lee (ASCAP)
SFX Media 

ba_midi
Re:A PLEA: To Cakewalk and staff. 2010/12/30 18:41:00 (permalink)
Scott Lee

"NOW I am FORCED to click only on the track NUMBER to do the same thing.  It's not sensible at all.

And to those who might say what's the big deal about that"

I get you Billy. If Cakewalk starts to eliminate icons or click able features, they at least should have some sort of hotkey access at a bare minimal.  It seems while some of the UI is a blessing now in X1 that really shines, other areas actually aren't as efficient in design and workflow.

This is exactly why I don't understand people who dislike the previously available ability to customize deeply and thereby create your own workflow environment - which many have / had done.

If there's too much homogenizing, or too many limitations, I don't see that as a progressive approach.

Agreed there are some things that shine in X1, but at what cost.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

Scott Lee
Re:A PLEA: To Cakewalk and staff. 2010/12/30 23:24:44 (permalink)
Hi Billy!

Was playing with the Pro Channels sidechaining again tonight. While it is limited with its attacks for shaping, I still get some pretty unique chaining abilities.

THE SETUP:

2 source 4/4 beat track for the side chain
1 track creating a pumping compression effect
2 sends for channel effects
1 track to output post effects
1 track sidechaining controlling reverb release
1 track sidechaining control of delay mix/length

Can pull off some very interesting effects with Sonars advance routing. Here is an example written in a few mins playing around with this effect with the pro channel.

ProChannelSC.mp3 (Look for Save file to your PC: click here near bottom right)

post edited by Scott Lee - 2010/12/30 23:28:59

Scott Lee (ASCAP)
SFX Media 

ba_midi
Re:A PLEA: To Cakewalk and staff. 2010/12/30 23:37:53 (permalink)
Scott,

Creative and talented people will always find ways to use things.

Of course ProChannel is usable (I was using it in that new project that I can't finish in X1) so it doesn't surprise me you'd be able to make use of it.

But once again I must say, I'm really done with X1 this time for now.  I'm definitely gonna wait until there are some bug fixes.   It's become a real creative juice killer for me at this point, sorry to say.

And I don't give a hoot at CW that doesn't want to hear this, but it's fact.  Between crashes, bus envelopes deleting nodes, Snap To Grid silliness, and a myriad of other problems, it is insane for me to try to get work done (other than basic mixing perhaps).

post edited by ba_midi - 2010/12/30 23:39:33

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

Scott Lee
Re:A PLEA: To Cakewalk and staff. 2010/12/31 16:02:19 (permalink)
Hi Billy,

Indeed. I really want to continue working on my new material, but alas, Im waiting for X1b. Its just way to unstable for a serious project at this time, so been tasing plugins, trying new tricks and mostly just coming up with better workflow ideas.

Scott Lee (ASCAP)
SFX Media 

Scott Lee
Re:A PLEA: To Cakewalk and staff. 2011/01/03 16:16:00 (permalink)
"Of course ProChannel is usable (I was using it in that new project that I can't finish in X1) so it doesn't surprise me you'd be able to make use of it. "

It still has its limits though as pointed out compared to the Sonitus plugins thats for sure. The plot is a huge mess to deal with for me and I always want to drift back to the Sonitus EQ or fab filters. It a matter of speed and productivity for me vs something thats inter graded and less useful. I hope the bakers rethink this design.

Best,

Scott Lee (ASCAP)
SFX Media 

Scott Lee
Re:A PLEA: To Cakewalk and staff. 2011/01/10 17:44:33 (permalink)
"Middleman,

I'm calling BS on this one. I just tried this same thing and I do get Bounce to Clips and export capability. This is something inherent to your system. Also, that startup at the beginning is not a normal startup for the program, it looks like a VM environment or hot load. Just posting this for other users that want some balance to the X1 experience."

Video link here: http://www.youtube.com/user/Dezacrator?feature=mhum#p/a/u/0/U4mdZLzXunE

UPDATE
: So I did call calkwalk a few weeks ago and spoke with a very nice and helpful tech support employee. After helping him debug and sort out the problem, it turns out that Sonar X1 "thinks" it still in playback mode and is keeping the bounce and export locked. The only way to have it release is to reset the audio engine (basically this is my workaround to gain access to one bounce or export before its locked again once I hit play). It also turns out that there were some changes made in Sonar X1a on how the software speaks to audio cards (in particular, Roland audio cards) which would possibly have caused this issue for my MOTU audio card. I did NOT see this issue on the first version of Sonar X1 release so this was X1a exclusive. Long story short, Cakewalk knows about the issue and will be trying to get a fix in X!b.

One other note,

I felt Middlemans comment was a personal attack and not relevant to the subject material presented. We use these forums to help one another, not to demonize others for critical issues they are experiencing. We all run different configurations and hardware setups so lets not call people liars and state they are falsifying the issue at hand.

Best,

Scott Lee (ASCAP)
SFX Media 

ba_midi
Re:A PLEA: To Cakewalk and staff. 2011/01/10 17:48:22 (permalink)
Scott Lee

"Middleman,

I'm calling BS on this one. I just tried this same thing and I do get Bounce to Clips and export capability. This is something inherent to your system. Also, that startup at the beginning is not a normal startup for the program, it looks like a VM environment or hot load. Just posting this for other users that want some balance to the X1 experience."

Video link here: http://www.youtube.com/user/Dezacrator?feature=mhum#p/a/u/0/U4mdZLzXunE

UPDATE
: So I did call calkwalk a few weeks ago and spoke with a very nice and helpful tech support employee. After helping him debug and sort out the problem, it turns out that Sonar X1 "thinks" it still in playback mode and is keeping the bounce and export locked. The only way to have it release is to reset the audio engine (basically this is my workaround to gain access to one bounce or export before its locked again once I hit play). It also turns out that there were some changes made in Sonar X1a on how the software speaks to audio cards (in particular, Roland audio cards) which would possibly have caused this issue for my MOTU audio card. I did NOT see this issue on the first version of Sonar X1 release so this was X1a exclusive. Long story short, Cakewalk knows about the issue and will be trying to get a fix in X!b.

One other note,

I felt Middlemans comment was a personal attack and not relevant to the subject material presented. We use these forums to help one another, not to demonize others for critical issues they are experiencing. We all run different configurations and hardware setups so lets not call people liars and state they are falsifying the issue at hand.

Best,

LIES!!!!

Just kidding Scott

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

Scott Lee
Re:A PLEA: To Cakewalk and staff. 2011/01/10 17:52:02 (permalink)
"LIES!!!!

Just kidding Scott "

hah Billy!

Since I put up a video log earlier on this thread, I wanted to bring some closure to the issue at hand. Also if some other MOTU audio card guys are having the same problem, they can at least use the workaround until X1b hits the internet.
post edited by Scott Lee - 2011/01/10 18:07:30

Scott Lee (ASCAP)
SFX Media 

ba_midi
Re:A PLEA: To Cakewalk and staff. 2011/01/10 18:04:41 (permalink)
Scott Lee

"LIES!!!!

Just kidding Scott "

hah Billy!

Since I put up a video log earlier on this thread, I wanted to bring some closure to the issue at hand. Also if some other MOTU audio card guys are having the same problem, they can at least use the workaround until X1b his the internet.
Scott,

I think you do everyone a service by following up on this, as it turns out - you either found a real bug or got CW to find it.  Regardless, there was truth and now there are facts to support your finding.

I do wish others wouldn't be so quick to be suspicious around here, but that horse has been out of the barn a long time ;)

Thanks for following up!

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

Scott Lee
Re:A PLEA: To Cakewalk and staff. 2011/01/10 19:51:47 (permalink)
Hi Billy,

Indeed bud. Brandon also stated that the copy drag lasso (not highlighting all clips) bugs will be a fixed in Sonar X1b. Glad to hear CW is on it.

Best,
post edited by Scott Lee - 2011/01/10 22:23:57

Scott Lee (ASCAP)
SFX Media 

Guitarmech111
Max Output Level: -24.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5085
Re:A PLEA: To Cakewalk and staff. 2011/01/10 21:28:59 (permalink)
The recent threads about X1 and  Cakewalk's lack of reply really makes me miss the Twelve Tone company as it was before Roland. A lot of the old programmers I came to trust and admire are missed deeply. It would be nice to skip a year of releases and fix a release for the users and listen to what they have to say is broke or desired. but then, money is king...

I will probably stay with 8.5 for a while longer. That is working pretty well with my workflow. I just hate looking for different ways to do the same thing in X1. I don't have much time on my hands to relearn a new tool just yet. X1 is too much GUI and not a lot of bang for the upgrade in my mind.

Let's see what the future brings. I may be back to X1.

Peace,
Conley Shepherd
Joyful Noise Productions
PC config: (Win performance base score = 7.7) ASUS Sabertooth 990 FX -amd fx-8150 - core processor am3+ - 32G Corsair 1066 DDR3 - PNY GTX670 2g gddr5 - Corsair Force SSD 120G - Samsung 750G SATA drives - WD 1tb Black (Audio files) - WD 2TB for storage - RME UFX - USB ASIO 2/2016 drivers Win8 

Without a mess, there is no message
ba_midi
Re:A PLEA: To Cakewalk and staff. 2011/01/10 21:43:56 (permalink)
The thing about "money is king ..."

What I wonder is why there can't be a little more balance.  Why not split the difference between going for the new customers AND taking care of bugs at the _same_ time.

But as I always end up saying to myself ...  that's not the world we live in.   We are a consumer based society and if you feed the hungry masses, they will eat all you can shove at them (as someone once said).

However, I do think that somewhere down the road in time, X1 will be a fine product.

The only unfortunate thing about that is, we are all running out of time every day.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

kevinwhitect
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 376
Re:A PLEA: To Cakewalk and staff. 2011/01/10 21:51:21 (permalink)
... because money is king. :)

Part of this adventure is learning new tricks. I've made "Shift B" my new "Bounce to clip" and "Shift T" my new "Bounce to Track". No big. 

The stuff that gets me is having the sample rate change every time I open windows explorer ... or all the other stuff that just plain doesn't work -- and I don't know why ... but I can't relearn that stuff.

... and though we are all running out of time every day, in time, I also believe this product will get solid. I also believe that it will never be perfect for anyone.

All my music is free for download at:  

KevinWhiteMusic.com

The Rig:
i7 950 Processor
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R V.2 Mobo
12G Corsair DDR3 RAM
OS Drive: Samsung 500G SSD
Program/Storage Drives: Samsung 500G SSD (x3)
Windows 10 Pro (Anniversary) x64
Layla 24/96 on ASIO Drivers
Sonar Platinum 

yorolpal
  • Total Posts : 13829
Re:A PLEA: To Cakewalk and staff. 2011/01/10 21:58:54 (permalink)
Dear Scott,

If you are calling Brandon "Braydon" just to be nangering or smart alecky why go on ahead...and see where that gets ya.  I know I have spent hours hitting my own thumb with a hammer before also...thinking it might get me somewheres in the end.  But you know what?  No, go on guess.  It never did.  So maybe...and this here's just a suggestion...you could call him by his given name;  which is BRANDON!!  I know, "Braydon" has soooo much more to offer in the surrealty and pure-dee-pitiful department.  But, unfortunately for you, that don't happen to be his name.  If this IS the tack yor gonna take though then you need to be more "obtuse".  If you'll permit, here's a few alternatives you might consider:  "Brandy", "B-Don" or even "Stephanie".  But...if it was me...I'd just continue to call him Brandon...like his folks intended.  YMMV.

https://soundcloud.com/doghouse-riley/tracks 
https://doghouseriley1.bandcamp.com 
Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.
Scott Lee
Re:A PLEA: To Cakewalk and staff. 2011/01/10 22:23:32 (permalink)
Dear Yo,

The typo police have corrected the issue. I think my fingers merged Brandon with the Y in Ryan. Lazy fingers!

"The thing about "money is king ...

What I wonder is why there can't be a little more balance.  Why not split the difference between going for the new customers AND taking care of bugs at the _same_ time"

I agree Billy. Software can have all the coolest gadgets in the world, but if it crashes every 20 minutes then what kind of street value would such a software product have? I love Sonars basic workflow, quite honestly, they have it absolutely right after dabbling with Cubase, Live, Logic, Protools, etc. What is shooting Cakewalk in the foot is not only Sonar X1's current status of bug related issues, but the bugs that have been ignored revision after revision. I believe allot of us just want the software to work as advertised, not only for the multi-track recording crowd, but the folks that really get under Sonars hood. 

In the days of the internet and interweb, knowledge is easily accessible. A Solid stable user friendly product will outsell a product with the "latest and greatest" gadgets that crashes constantly. I love new technology, don't take my post wrong, but please take this year and really correct Sonar X1 to be the powerhorse DAW we all want it to be.

Best,
post edited by Scott Lee - 2011/01/10 22:26:01

Scott Lee (ASCAP)
SFX Media 

Scott Lee
Re:A PLEA: To Cakewalk and staff. 2011/01/10 22:29:16 (permalink)
"The recent threads about X1 and  Cakewalk's lack of reply really makes me miss the Twelve Tone company as it was before Roland."

I hear ya! I miss the old Cakewalk/Twelve tone forums and the interaction with the user-base too. Love to see that vibe hit the forums again. :)

I know Brandon and Seth do there best to answer questions and give the community light on subjects related to X1. I do think what is missing though is again what this thread was about, status updates and communication. If we had some official words on "that will be fixed in X!b", then users can says its being looked into for the new comers that share an issue. That way, we dont see thread after thread of the same topics knowing there is a fix on the way and we can get back to talking about making music :)

Best,
post edited by Scott Lee - 2011/01/10 22:35:23

Scott Lee (ASCAP)
SFX Media 

ba_midi
Re:A PLEA: To Cakewalk and staff. 2011/01/10 22:34:32 (permalink)
K dub

... because money is king. :)

Part of this adventure is learning new tricks. I've made "Shift B" my new "Bounce to clip" and "Shift T" my new "Bounce to Track". No big. 

The stuff that gets me is having the sample rate change every time I open windows explorer ... or all the other stuff that just plain doesn't work -- and I don't know why ... but I can't relearn that stuff.

... and though we are all running out of time every day, in time, I also believe this product will get solid. I also believe that it will never be perfect for anyone.
I personally have no problem with learning new tricks.  I do have a problem with serious  bugs or bugs that slow me down, some of which you mention.

But I agree - no software will ever be perfect, certainly not for everyone all the time.

And what I meant about running out of time (other than the obvious) is that when a musical idea hits, or a project needs to be finished, we can't wait for things to get fixed.  We have to use what works _now_ not later.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

ba_midi
Re:A PLEA: To Cakewalk and staff. 2011/01/10 22:37:25 (permalink)
yorolpal

Dear Scott,

If you are calling Brandon "Braydon" just to be nangering or smart alecky why go on ahead...and see where that gets ya.  I know I have spent hours hitting my own thumb with a hammer before also...thinking it might get me somewheres in the end.  But you know what?  No, go on guess.  It never did.  So maybe...and this here's just a suggestion...you could call him by his given name;  which is BRANDON!!  I know, "Braydon" has soooo much more to offer in the surrealty and pure-dee-pitiful department.  But, unfortunately for you, that don't happen to be his name.  If this IS the tack yor gonna take though then you need to be more "obtuse".  If you'll permit, here's a few alternatives you might consider:  "Brandy", "B-Don" or even "Stephanie".  But...if it was me...I'd just continue to call him Brandon...like his folks intended.  YMMV.

God's gonna punish you for being so silly so in your next life you're going to be a stand-up comedian.  And when your feet hurt, don't come back here complainin' to us

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

yorolpal
  • Total Posts : 13829
Re:A PLEA: To Cakewalk and staff. 2011/01/10 23:12:39 (permalink)
Well, I'll be here all week...and don't forget to tip your waitress!

https://soundcloud.com/doghouse-riley/tracks 
https://doghouseriley1.bandcamp.com 
Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.
ba_midi
Re:A PLEA: To Cakewalk and staff. 2011/01/10 23:17:29 (permalink)
yorolpal

Well, I'll be here all week...and don't forget to tip your waitress!

Nope.  I didn't get my vodka cran yet! :)

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

Scott Lee
Re:A PLEA: To Cakewalk and staff. 2011/01/10 23:30:17 (permalink)
Becuase she dropped it off at my table

Scott Lee (ASCAP)
SFX Media 

ba_midi
Re:A PLEA: To Cakewalk and staff. 2011/01/10 23:53:59 (permalink)
Scott Lee

Becuase she dropped it off at my table

Ha!  I guess you tipped her first ;)

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

Page: << < ..678910 Showing page 10 of 10
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1