Helpful ReplyBig announcement: #SONAR4Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You

Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 13 of 24
Author
subtlearts
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2200
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2016/06/08 14:06:12 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby FCCfirstclass 2016/06/08 20:05:11
raymondm4
I feel I need to make this clear for those that don't fully understand my point:
If AD3 comes out next year and Cakewalk includes it in Sonar, Those who have a subscription to Sonar Professional will get it but those with Platinum Lifetime will not (by the description on their site - http://www.cakewalk.com/June-2016#SONAR4Life)...

Where on that page does it say anything even remotely like that? I just read the page and I cannot for the life of me see how you could possibly get that idea from anything written there. It's mystifying.

This would make Professional the more feature inclusive of the versions within one year. I'm not  trying to complain, just trying to cut passed the BS. If Platinum is to become a modularized professional DAW with less 3rd party features but more capability/expandability; and Professional is meant to be a more turnkey product for getting pros and semi pros started quickly, then it make since and I can work with that...

... but you seem to be literally the only person in this entire confused jumble of misinformation and, in several cases, apparently deliberate disinformation, that has that impression. I literally haven't seen a single other person who has distilled that particular notion from all of this. That's really a talent.

But don't blow smoke up my @ss. Cakewalk is a business, not a non-profit. They are in the business of making money, not losing it. And they do NOT have a business model based on volume sales.
Furthermore, If you have information so clearly explaining this, then please post links. Those of us that are commenting are doing so because the information we have found thus far is limited. So, be a pal and share your sources of info so we can know what you know to be so obvious, allowing us to stop asking the same questions twice. The term "take my word" does not apply in this day and age, so sources would be very welcomed.

I'm sorry, but it's very hard to post links that disprove a notion that you seem to have pretty much pulled out of a hat. But sure, I'll have a go. Look at the feature comparison page, or the rolling updates page. How on earth did you get the idea that Platinum was now or will in future have less included content than Professional?

Platinum is the flagship product that Cakewalk sells, the top tier of the Platinum family. The other tiers have *less* included content and features. That will remain the case, unless they streamline the product line in some way, and anyone who tells you there are immediate plans to do that is making it up out of whole cloth, unless *you* can find links where a CW employee has said so. If they are planning anything like that they're doing a remarkably good job of keeping it to themselves.

Finally, if I felt there was ANYTHING I could do to stop people from asking the same questions twice, or a hundred or fifty-thousand times, believe me, I would do it. But thus far I have seen no evidence that, for example, posting clear quotes from CW staff explaining things simply and unambiguously, will stop someone from asking the same question LITERALLY IN THE NEXT POST. It's quite remarkable, though also incredibly boring and frustrating. So once again:

I give up.

tobias tinker 
music is easy: just start with complete silence, and take away the parts you don't like!
tobiastinker.com
aeosrecords.com
soundfascination.com
Sonar Platinum, a bunch of other stuff...
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2016/06/08 15:23:40 (permalink)
subtlearts

I give up.

+1

The one thing that also seems lost in "the land of confusion", is that this is a one-shot deal.  On Sept 1st everything goes back to the way it has been for the past year or so.  The product lineup for Sonar doesn't appear to be changing one bit.  With the exception to that being the eventual release version of the Mac Sonar.  Not to mention your permanent license will be cross platform Win/Mac forever.

Anybody who sits on the sidelines and passes this deal up, will be back on the forums next year whining and crying because they will have to pay forever :-)

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2016/06/08 15:46:50 (permalink)
raymondm4
If they had pitched it like that, I would have been one of the first to buy into it. Loyal users becoming the gofundme for new projects at Cakewalk and being given unique software benefits in lieu of cash returns. I'm all in with that. Maybe they should hire lludwick for marketing and PR.

Actually, the reason it wasn't pitched like that is that CW's overall roadmap is more complex and far-reaching than just a Mac version. Also note that the Alpha version was done without any extra infusion of cash, and that Cakewalk has stated specifically that the company is doing this to test the level of interest in a Mac-based version, so it's not like CW is going to go out and do an immediate hire of a Mac team...besides, there's already quite a bit of Mac expertise within Cakewalk. Nor was there any guarantee that people would respond so enthusiastically to the offer, so basing future business plans on it being a success would have been risky. 

But you're right in a way about loyal users becoming the gofundme for new projects; it was those who took a leap of faith and bought memberships in January 2015 who not only got the upgrade to a new version of SONAR, but along with new users, helped pay for all the updates released during 2015.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
TheMaartian
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2774
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2016/06/08 15:49:26 (permalink)
adeptus minor
I don't believe it!!!!! There has to be a catch!

Intel i7 3.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, 2 TB HD Win10 Home 64-bit Tascam US-16x08
Studio One 4 Pro NotionMelodyne 4 Studio Acoustica 7 Guitar Pro 7
PreSonus FaderPort Nektar P6 M-Audio BX8 D2 Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro
NI K9U XLN AK, AD2 AAS VS-2, GS-2, VA-2, EP-4, CP-2, OD Toontrack SD3, EZK
doncolga
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1519
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2016/06/08 17:05:52 (permalink)
abacab
subtlearts

I give up.

+1

The one thing that also seems lost in "the land of confusion", is that this is a one-shot deal.  On Sept 1st everything goes back to the way it has been for the past year or so.  The product lineup for Sonar doesn't appear to be changing one bit.  With the exception to that being the eventual release version of the Mac Sonar.  Not to mention your permanent license will be cross platform Win/Mac forever.

Anybody who sits on the sidelines and passes this deal up, will be back on the forums next year whining and crying because they will have to pay forever :-)

+1000.  I'm totally happy with what they're doing. No matter what Cakewalk does (or anybody else), some will be happy, some will not.  I plan to get it before it goes away.

HP Z220 Workstation I7 3770, 8 GB RAM, Windows 10, Sonar Platinum, RME Multiface II via PCIe, JBL 4326 w/sub, AvanTone MixCubes
bsantini99
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 35
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2016/06/08 17:41:48 (permalink)
abacab

Normally I sit on the sidelines, but I had to respond to this. I am NOT taking this deal and you are implying that I have no choice but to pay Cakewalk a subscription fee forever after Sept 1st. But I do have a choice, I can walk forever and go to another DAW especially since I will have my $199 to invest. I know one out there right now that includes lifetime updates in the price - no extra charge and they only asked they loyal customers with very old versions to only pay $39 to get lifetime updates.

I am more than happy to take splat in whatever form it exist when my subscription ends. And I can come back years later and pay a update fee at that time which will most likely be less than $199. I also do not believe for one minute that this is the last deal Cakewalk ever offers. In any event, you won't see me back here in a year whining and crying!

abacab
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2016/06/08 17:46:21 (permalink)
doncolga
abacab
subtlearts

I give up.

+1

I plan to get it before it goes away.

Same here!  I just wish they had done this years ago!!!

I have upgraded to Sonar 1x, 2, Sonar Producer 3, 4, 6, 8, 8.5, x1, x2, x3.  Could have saved a bundle, LOL!!!

I did the math on some of the extras that have been added to Platinum since X3.  Just the upgrades to AAS Session instruments Lounge Lizard, Strum, and Ultra Analog alone would run $99 if bought as a retail bundle.  Not to mention all of the other feature enhancements, updates, fixes, etc. 

abacab
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2016/06/08 17:52:47 (permalink)
bsantini99

Normally I sit on the sidelines, but I had to respond to this. I am NOT taking this deal and you are implying that I have no choice but to pay Cakewalk a subscription fee forever after Sept 1st. But I do have a choice, I can walk forever and go to another DAW especially since I will have my $199 to invest. I know one out there right now that includes lifetime updates in the price - no extra charge and they only asked they loyal customers with very old versions to only pay $39 to get lifetime updates.

I am more than happy to take splat in whatever form it exist when my subscription ends. And I can come back years later and pay a update fee at that time which will most likely be less than $199. I also do not believe for one minute that this is the last deal Cakewalk ever offers. In any event, you won't see me back here in a year whining and crying!

Your choice!  Never implied that anybody did not have a choice.  

Have a nice day :-)

backwoods
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2571
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2016/06/08 18:58:02 (permalink)
the subscription fee forever: for most of us a one off $99 payment..... outrage  pro tools charges that much every year, cubase about twice every second year, studio one (which is like cubase v4) that much every second year, DP about twice that much every third year, reason about one and a third every second year, ableton 3 times as much every third year, good luck on your musical journey :)

In any event, you won't see me back here in a year whining and crying! --- Too late

post edited by backwoods - 2016/06/08 19:19:06

coolbass
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 78
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2016/06/08 20:27:09 (permalink)
backwoods

In any event, you won't see me back here in a year whining and crying! --- Too late

bsantini99
  • Total Posts : 35
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2016/06/08 21:22:33 (permalink)
backwoods

Seriously, you fire back at me with a personal insult. I expressed my opinion but at no time did I ever take cheap shot at somebody.
subtlearts
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2200
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2016/06/09 05:56:59 (permalink)
bsantini99
backwoods

Seriously, you fire back at me with a personal insult. I expressed my opinion but at no time did I ever take cheap shot at somebody.

Sorry, not seeing where anyone insulted you personally here. 

tobias tinker 
music is easy: just start with complete silence, and take away the parts you don't like!
tobiastinker.com
aeosrecords.com
soundfascination.com
Sonar Platinum, a bunch of other stuff...
djwayne
Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2021
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2016/06/09 11:32:49 (permalink)
Well another thing to consider is "Who says Cakewalk's future upgrade price is set in stone at $99 a year ??" What if they raise it to $149 a year ?? You know, inflation...?? Maybe they'll charge $20 bucks a month ...$240 a year ..??

I'm locked in to a very nice program with no more update bills !!!! :)
sergiohfb
  • Total Posts : 3
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2016/06/09 11:41:59 (permalink)
Any idea How many disc space sonar4mac is going to take?
My SSD is 128gb and it is about 60% full.
TabSel
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 284
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2016/06/09 12:51:38 (permalink)
djwayne
Well another thing to consider is "Who says Cakewalk's future upgrade price is set in stone at $99 a year ??" What if they raise it to $149 a year ?? You know, inflation...?? Maybe they'll charge $20 bucks a month ...$240 a year ..??

I bet it's more likely that they decrease the subscription fees for all skus, as the will decrease 3rd party licenses bundled with them and instead charge for 3rd party licenses, while developing the "core" without charge.

However...
abacab
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2016/06/09 13:24:08 (permalink)
sergiohfb
Any idea How many disc space sonar4mac is going to take?
My SSD is 128gb and it is about 60% full.

Maybe someone will chip in with the real numbers, but in the meantime ...

Specs for the Windows version are here:
https://www.cakewalk.com/Support/Knowledge-Base/2007013383/SONAR-Platinum-Professional-Artist-System-Requirements

So for Win, it looks like a range of 5GB for minimal, up to 20GB for full install.  If the Win/Mac versions will be comparable, it's probably something close to that.

So how soon will SONAR be able to do everything on the Mac that it does on Windows?
SONAR itself already does, but elements external to SONAR are a different story. For example, the Alpha version can’t run AU plug-ins, or talk to custom interface drivers (only Core Audio devices will work). There are also potential issues with video handling, as the two platforms handle video differently. Keep in mind this is an Alpha, so we are in the early stages.
http://forum.cakewalk.com...-X-Alpha-m3429473.aspx

Pragi
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1173
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2016/06/10 04:05:13 (permalink)
TheMaartian
adeptus minor

Good point,
cause I found myself thinking that way.
It took me some weeks  to realize that
cakewalk til now never treated me unfair.
I was watching out for a catch,
which is in such kind of offers in the online business
a practice of different brands.
But Cake never did this since I bought Sonar 7,
the prices have always been more than correct.
Got a good discount.
Since yesterday I´m a happy lifetime member.

Thanks ,cakewalk.

post edited by Pragi - 2016/06/10 04:33:58
MPH
  • Total Posts : 29
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2016/06/10 08:33:19 (permalink)
Pragi
TheMaartian
adeptus minor

Good point,
cause I found myself thinking that way.
It took me some weeks  to realize that
cakewalk til now never treated me unfair.
I was watching out for a catch,
which is in such kind of offers in the online business
a practice of different brands.
But Cake never did this since I bought Sonar 7,
the prices have always been more than correct.
Got a good discount.
Since yesterday I´m a happy lifetime member.

Thanks ,cakewalk.

Yes, it's natural (and wise) to be cautious and a little cynical in this day and age. There usually is a catch or something hidden in the fine print, when something seems too good to be true. It's nothing personal against Cakewalk... I purchased my first Cakewalk product (Guitar Studio 1) 01/05/1999.

There's nothing wrong with asking Cakewalk for clarification to ease our fears and concerns.

I think Cakewalk did a good job of answering those questions and concerns so that users can make an informed decision.
jimfogle
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 463
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2016/06/10 11:51:19 (permalink)
I have not seen this question asked so here goes nothing!
Do Music Creator users receive any consideration if they decide to upgrade?
My daw path has been MC2, MC3, MC5, MC6 & MC6 Touch.  I haven't upgraded to MC7 because my computer uses Windows XP (which means I also haven't been able to install  MC6 Touch).  I am in the process of setting up a laptop running Windows 7 so I will soon be upgrading my daw.

Jim F
Cakewalk by Bandlab (CbB)
Sonar Home Studio V23.9.0 build 32
Music Creator 6
Band-in-a-Box, Audacity, ChordPulse
Win 7, i3 cpu, 8Gig ram, 480 Gig Dell Laptop
http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home

scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2016/06/10 12:11:41 (permalink)
I don't think so, PM the staff for a definitive answer
jimfogle
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 463
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2016/06/10 12:21:56 (permalink)
scook
I don't think so, PM the staff for a definitive answer

I have (twice) but never received a response.  Also have been unsuccessful in getting my email back on the mailing list even though I publically posted on the "Big Announcement" thread four weeks ago.

Hopefully, this post will receive a response from staff and will succeed in getting my email address back on the mailing list.
post edited by jimfogle - 2016/06/10 12:48:00

Jim F
Cakewalk by Bandlab (CbB)
Sonar Home Studio V23.9.0 build 32
Music Creator 6
Band-in-a-Box, Audacity, ChordPulse
Win 7, i3 cpu, 8Gig ram, 480 Gig Dell Laptop
http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home

djwayne
Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2021
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2016/06/10 12:54:59 (permalink)
TabSel
djwayne

I bet it's more likely that they decrease the subscription fees for all skus, as the will decrease 3rd party licenses bundled with them and instead charge for 3rd party licenses, while developing the "core" without charge.

However...

Well it's not that far fetched of an idea...look at Adobe's Audition's latest scheme...You have to sign up for the cloud for $19.99 a month.... That's about $240 a year to get Audition... I think Sonar Platinum is a much better program because it does midi, and has tons of sound samples to work with.
carlman
  • Total Posts : 17
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2016/06/10 13:27:58 (permalink)
I contacted support on 6/2 & haven't received any reply except for the problem case number email.
It states 3 business days for response.
Again, I've never received any emails concerning this BIG announcement or anything else even though I'm subscribed.
Usually I'm unsubscribing to remove emails, with Cakewalk I can't get on the list!
How do I fix this?

(BTW the permalink to my initial post won't show up after submitting. It does when editing & Preview.)
post edited by carlman - 2016/06/10 13:49:29
jeff oliver
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 122
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2016/06/10 14:39:40 (permalink)
Maybe I missed something but was the "BIG ANNOUNCEMENT" taking the place of Sonar 2016.6? Where's my download? I stated on another thread my concerns. Basically, I already paid upfront for a year of updates. In faith that I would get a year of updates. I've been onboard and paid upfront for two years and now I have to pay again for the lifetime.

We should at least get until our current membership runs out to do this or not. I was happy to pay for the yearly model and others seem to be as well. Can't help but think CW could not keep up with the monthly updates so now have moved on to "core features" and "enhancements",  and bug fixes which I usually hardly notice.

Also, since everyone will no longer have the same environment as far as extras are concerned, wouldn't it make it harder to troubleshoot problems? Some will buy all the extras and some buying none.

In the FAQ it was asked why should we who have already paid upfront not get lifetime updates for free. The answer was "Unfortunately lifetime updates come with a cost". Ok, I can believe that but, can't believe that for $99 or $199 or whatever could fund updates for life unless it's mostly fixes and enhancements.

Maybe I'm over-thinking as I sometimes do. Thanks to everyone here for the insight.

HP pavilion i7 6gig ram
Windows 8.1 x64
HP 5500 onboard graphics
Focusrite 18i20 Sonar Platinum x64
scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2016/06/10 14:41:45 (permalink)
jeff oliver
Maybe I missed something but was the "BIG ANNOUNCEMENT" taking the place of Sonar 2016.6? Where's my download?

No, it is a little early to expect 2016.06. Typically releases are closer to the end of the month.
jeff oliver
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2016/06/10 14:50:33 (permalink)
Thanks scook! I'm off as usual. :)

HP pavilion i7 6gig ram
Windows 8.1 x64
HP 5500 onboard graphics
Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2016/06/10 15:52:51 (permalink)
I can confirm there is a 2016.06, I've already done some of the eZine articles.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Cubarecords2014
  • Total Posts : 16
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2016/06/10 18:56:42 (permalink)
Hello guys,

Very sad for me after 6 years  with Cakewalk I had purchased the  Lifetime Updates for $ 229  and 3 day later they sent to me an email offer of $136 so I contact customer support to try to get back $93 from my credit card and no anwser after 3 day. I really feel very bad about it.

Thanks

Intel(R) i7-6700K CPU 4.00GHz 32.0 GB Windows 7, 5x SSD dr and 2x 1Tb dr library  Sonar Platinum, Ableton live suite, Maschine MK2,Komplete Ultimate 11,Omnisphere, Arturia Collection Wave Studio Collection, Gold, CLA Compressor,Sylenth1, Serum.
jeff oliver
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2016/06/10 19:57:18 (permalink)
Thank you Mr. Anderton! Hope everything stays "relatively" the same as far as content goes. But stability is always at the top of my list. Thanks again.
post edited by jeff oliver - 2016/06/10 20:19:22

HP pavilion i7 6gig ram
Windows 8.1 x64
HP 5500 onboard graphics
jeff oliver
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2016/06/10 20:05:34 (permalink)
Cubarecords2014
Hello guys,

Very sad for me after 6 years  with Cakewalk I had purchased the  Lifetime Updates for $ 229  and 3 day later they sent to me an email offer of $136 so I contact customer support to try to get back $93 from my credit card and no anwser after 3 day. I really feel very bad about it.

Thanks

I had been seeing others report CW customer support was very slow or not responding. I believe you'll get your money back although it may be awhile except a rep see your post. Good luck to you.

HP pavilion i7 6gig ram
Windows 8.1 x64
HP 5500 onboard graphics
Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 13 of 24
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1