Sound Quality of Sonar X1

Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 13 of 31
Author
SteveGriffiths
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 200
Re:Sound Quality of Sonar X1 2012/03/10 13:38:45 (permalink)
Jind

bobguitkillerleft

Ok?

Humour us,whats the deal with 42?

I can't possibly be the only one that got that reference?  I find that hard to believe.

Doesn't anyone know that the number 42 is "The Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything and is calculated by an enormous supercomputer over a period of 7.5 million years to be 42. Unfortunately no one knows what the question is. Thus, to calculate the Ultimate Question, a special computer the size of a small planet and using organic components was created and named "Earth".

Really?????  I'm the only one besides the person who first posted the number 42?  Really????

I know it makes my music better in every way possible.

Really????  No Douglas Adams fans?

I got the reference :)

Also of interested is that the first 4 bytes of a tiff file indicate the byte order and then the number 42 "A carefully selected but random number"

Cheers

Grif (Master of useless trivia)

frankandfree
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 447
Re:Sound Quality of Sonar X1 2012/03/10 14:28:02 (permalink)
John T

Also, Sonar works fine in XP, and Cakewalk officially support it. 

I'm impressed that this thread is evolving into a general purpose misinformation thread. I've been wondering where to post my guide to planting cheese trees. 

Freddie is the master of misinformation .

FTR, Cakewalk implemented the 64bit engine with Sonar v7 end of 2007. Lots of people (me included) had to switch it off to make Sonar work back then. Reaper v1 came out (with 64bit float audio engine) end of 2006. Might be the "double precision" suffix is what makes the difference, though...
FastBikerBoy
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 11326
Re:Sound Quality of Sonar X1 2012/03/10 14:50:54 (permalink)
Perhaps that was why V7 was such a disaster for me although IIRC it did improve as soon as I went OS x64 8 was even better, I didn't use 8.5 for long enough to give an opinion, and X1 has been superb.
SteveStrummerUK
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 31112
Re:Sound Quality of Sonar X1 2012/03/10 14:51:53 (permalink)

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

miguelito
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 391
Re:Sound Quality of Sonar X1 2012/03/10 14:53:40 (permalink)

42 is the ultimate answer to the ultimate question of Life the Universe, and Everything.

You can read all about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phrases_from_The_Hitchhiker's_Guide_to_the_Galaxy

Regards,

Mike

A Roseberry racer w/
Win7 Pro (64) fully loaded
RME UFX Fireface;
Sonar X2;
Guitars and amps. 
Axon 100 MKII,
M-Audio Keystation Pro 88,
Komplete 
All software latest revision

SteveStrummerUK
Re:Sound Quality of Sonar X1 2012/03/10 14:58:33 (permalink)

I read all five books in the series years ago.

Adams was a genius.

pwal
Max Output Level: -46 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2909
Re:Sound Quality of Sonar X1 2012/03/10 16:50:03 (permalink)
i'm 42

list of stuff
Alegria
Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2075
Re:Sound Quality of Sonar X1 2012/03/10 18:10:18 (permalink)
The "Golden Number" is way cooler.
bobguitkillerleft
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 944
Re:Sound Quality of Sonar X1 2012/03/10 20:44:14 (permalink)
miguelito

42 is the ultimate answer to the ultimate question of Life the Universe, and Everything.

You can read all about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phrases_from_The_Hitchhiker's_Guide_to_the_Galaxy

Regards,

Thanks, Zaphod's odd influence returns.

On a different note,XP compatibility? never heard of that being a problem before.
I can't believe how many 8.5 users are phobic of X1.......get X1c,X1d,W7 x64 and get into it! 

https://soundcloud.com/rks26https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hitmen Lenovo W540 Factoryrefurb SONAR PLATINUM,Ozone 7 N.I. KA6 Komplete 9 SSD4 Platinum Epi L/H LP Custom Headstock broken twice and fixed.Gibson L/H Les Paul 2010 Wine Red Studio stupid Right Hand Vol.Tone for Left Hand?LH84Ibanez RS135 gen.FloydRose JB Marshall 100w 2203 4x25w Celestion Green backs
"You are what you is"-Frank Zappa "But I'm gonna wave my freak flag high"-Jimi Hendrix    
trimph1
Max Output Level: -12 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6348
Re:Sound Quality of Sonar X1 2012/03/10 21:07:58 (permalink)
pppfffffft..

Maybe they feel that since Windows7 has some elements of the EVILZZZ VISTA (not that I know, of course)...ohnoes!! ohnoes!!...they are afraid it will infect them....

The space you have will always be exceeded in direct proportion to the amount of stuff you have...Thornton's Postulate.

Bushpianos
zblip
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 354
Re:Sound Quality of Sonar X1 2012/03/10 21:18:06 (permalink)
I know I'm late on the game but here is my two cents:

I work in a big commercial studio. There are actually seven studios where I work, I'm in studio "B".  We use exclusively PT. PT is great for post work but when mixing music, what people call "tranparency" can actually be a "problem". A mix sounds good when things glue together (depending on the style of course). With PT, this is tough to acheive some times. Things sound precise and clear, but elements sound seperated. Therefore, we use prug-ins on the master bus to warm up, muddy up, in order to glue the track together to get a good feel out of the music. Sure, people use PT in pro studios, but the main reason is that it is a mature program that is solid and versatile; not because it sounds better. I use Sonar at home for personsal projects, and, maybe it is cause I'm so used to working with PT, I find Sonar's sound and vibe more enjoyable. Sonar's PX64,VX64 and VC64 plugins are so cool and well adapted to the task compared to PT stuff which are pretty generic...

The sound: When I compose stuff for production, I use Sonar when working at home. I generally bounce my tracks seperatly for mixing at work on the PT. I also bounce a reference mix to hear in the studio. My reference mix is sometimes used "as is" and in the case of remix, the difference has more to do with monitoring difference than the "sound" of Sonar if any. In the case of a complicated tracks of course, this doesn't apply cause I don,t spend enough time on the rough mix.

I never had a chance to compare the two back to back, but one thing is sure, one can achieve a very good mix out of Sonar, that is certain. 

I worked on writing the music for a TV series and I had a partner working with me on a Logic setup. We would often listen to each others tracks. He regularly comented on the quality of the sound coming out of my system.  This was 5 years ago though bot I remember Logics reverbs and EQ sounding metalic and sterile, I was working with Sonar"s onboard Lexicon an Sonitus suite and they sounded way better. Poor reverbs an EQ,s are more damaging to a mix then a percieved muddyness, that can be fixed with propper mastering. 

In any case, I won't learn anything to anybody here by saying that a good mix starts with a good tune a good performance and good arranging. Mixing is a dynamic craft. You make decisions according to what you are hearing. If you have dificulty mixing, your monitoring should be the first thing to fix in the form of speakers, and room. 

My theory about hi-fi is as follows:

Take Picasso, rub some bacon on his glasses so his vision becomes blur. Ask him to paint. He will still be able to do a masterpiece. If you clean his glasses and ask him to look at what he painted he will discover details about his painting that he couldn't see while paintuing. But if he had clean glasses while he painted, he probably would have painted the same picture. Some hi-fi freaks have better sound systems at home than in recording studios. This doesn't meen that the engineer that mixed the tune on a lesser sound system didn't make a good enough job to be enjoyable on the super hi-fi system. Try to imagine Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon mixed on PT. Would it have been a better album? Back in the days, these guys wouls have killed to have have half of what Sonar has to offer.

Just thinking out loud I guess..

Turn down the volume! You're disturbing the neighbourgs!
bobguitkillerleft
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 944
Re:Sound Quality of Sonar X1 2012/03/10 22:11:37 (permalink)
Its always refreshing to read of peoples like of Sonar,when they work in studios which by definition,seem to have to have PT,in order to be a functioning business,as seems to be the case SO OFTEN!

Obviously there are some who use Sonar at a proffessional,successfull level [panup-yay!!]but as PT was adopted as the industry standard[?],I sometimes question my choice in going to cakewalk,but hearing of PT users preferring Sonar is something I need to hear occaisionally,as I find Avids whole scenario,just way too expensive,and forcibly so: "PT HDX is only compatible with Nehalem/Westermere Mac Pro's"!

Such a concept seems ridiculous when one realises the MP hasn't been updated since July 2010!,and pro Daw builders are getting ready to build systems with the intel E5 2600 8core Xeons,just ONE of which was recently tested by Scott @ ADK,being about TWICE as able to load plugins,as a Stock i7 2600k!.

Just MO as I see it. 

https://soundcloud.com/rks26https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hitmen Lenovo W540 Factoryrefurb SONAR PLATINUM,Ozone 7 N.I. KA6 Komplete 9 SSD4 Platinum Epi L/H LP Custom Headstock broken twice and fixed.Gibson L/H Les Paul 2010 Wine Red Studio stupid Right Hand Vol.Tone for Left Hand?LH84Ibanez RS135 gen.FloydRose JB Marshall 100w 2203 4x25w Celestion Green backs
"You are what you is"-Frank Zappa "But I'm gonna wave my freak flag high"-Jimi Hendrix    
SteveStrummerUK
Re:Sound Quality of Sonar X1 2012/03/11 05:36:09 (permalink)

So long, and thanks for all the fish 

SvenArne
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2719
Re:Sound Quality of Sonar X1 2012/03/11 07:05:05 (permalink)
zblip
Take Picasso

So, what you're saying is that in spite of having dirty glasses, being a painter and dead for the last 40 years, he kan still make a better sounding miks with Pro Tools than I kan with SONAR?

I'm not sure I like your attitude...

trimph1
Re:Sound Quality of Sonar X1 2012/03/11 07:52:27 (permalink)
http://studioone.presonus.com/3259/but-does-it-really-sound-better/

Gotta hand it to those marketing men...the mystique of some DAW sounding better than another goes ever on.... 

The space you have will always be exceeded in direct proportion to the amount of stuff you have...Thornton's Postulate.

Bushpianos
Danny Danzi
  • Total Posts : 5810
Re:Sound Quality of Sonar X1 2012/03/11 08:44:19 (permalink)
bobguitkillerleft

Its always refreshing to read of peoples like of Sonar,when they work in studios which by definition,seem to have to have PT,in order to be a functioning business,as seems to be the case SO OFTEN!

Obviously there are some who use Sonar at a proffessional,successfull level [panup-yay!!]but as PT was adopted as the industry standard[?],I sometimes question my choice in going to cakewalk,but hearing of PT users preferring Sonar is something I need to hear occaisionally,as I find Avids whole scenario,just way too expensive,and forcibly so: "PT HDX is only compatible with Nehalem/Westermere Mac Pro's"!

Such a concept seems ridiculous when one realises the MP hasn't been updated since July 2010!,and pro Daw builders are getting ready to build systems with the intel E5 2600 8core Xeons,just ONE of which was recently tested by Scott @ ADK,being about TWICE as able to load plugins,as a Stock i7 2600k!.

Just MO as I see it. 

I too use Sonar as my professional DAW of choice. I have PT here for one reason only...and that is because there have been people over the years that would call and ask "you got pro tools?" If you said no, they hung up on you and didn't even care how good your sound was. Also, I do quite a few remixes for people that have pt sessions. It's nice to just bring it in instead of asking for wave files or AIFF or to even mess around with OMF. You made the right call going with Sonar. If it works well for you and you can get everything done without crashing, it's the right choice. If you have issues and constantly find yourself frustrated with Sonar, you just find a DAW that is more to your liking and move on really. Each DAW has a little something different to offer but they all allow you to end up at the same place if they work properly. Anything else is pretty subjective and per user. But don't ever question your choice...the best choice is the DAW that works for you and with you. :)

-Danny

My Site
Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
Seth Perlstein [Cakewalk]
  • Total Posts : 2084
Re:Sound Quality of Sonar X1 2012/03/11 08:52:05 (permalink)
trimph1

http://studioone.presonus.com/3259/but-does-it-really-sound-better/

Gotta hand it to those marketing men...the mystique of some DAW sounding better than another goes ever on.... 

Ya, to make a claim like that without quantifying it and testing it scientifically is, well, marketing at its worst IMHO. 

The bottom line is you can't claim your audio engine sounds better than others unless you do tests with the exact same material in different DAWs using the exact same settings. Otherwise, its like, does one DAWs plugins sound better/ different than the other's? 

At the end of the article the writer hands his findings to their 64-bit audio engine. Well, if that's the case, perhaps we should get credited with the best sounding DAW since we basically invented the 64-bit audio engins in the DAW world.

Just saying ... 

SP
John T
Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6783
Re:Sound Quality of Sonar X1 2012/03/11 08:55:20 (permalink)
It's really dodgily written that blog entry. It doesnt actually make any real claims at all, just says "hey, if you think it sounds better, then wo are we to disagree?". Bit dishonest that I think. 

http://johntatlockaudio.com/
Self-build PC // 16GB RAM // i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz // Nofan 0dB cooler // ASUS P8-Z77 V Pro motherboard // Intel x-25m SSD System Drive // Seagate RAID Array Audio Drive // Windows 10 64 bit // Sonar Platinum (64 bit) // Sonar VS-700 // M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 // KRK RP-6 Monitors // and a bunch of other stuff
Re:Sound Quality of Sonar X1 2012/03/11 08:57:34 (permalink)
John T

It's really dodgily written that blog entry. It doesnt actually make any real claims at all, just says "hey, if you think it sounds better, then wo are we to disagree?". Bit dishonest that I think. 

Exactly. This subject demands a scientific examination since it can be proved and disproved. Something like, 'which monitors sound best' is fine with a conclusion like, if you think it sounds best', since its a matter of opinion. DAW audio engines are not, IMHO.

SP
SvenArne
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2719
Re:Sound Quality of Sonar X1 2012/03/11 09:21:26 (permalink)
At the risk of repeating myself, I'd still like to see some real komments on the test Jeff Evans reported on page 7 of this thread, but there's been so much noise (Danny's test eksepted of kourse), I'm not suprised if nobody remembers it...

Danny Danzi
  • Total Posts : 5810
Re:Sound Quality of Sonar X1 2012/03/11 09:21:31 (permalink)
The bottom line is you can't claim your audio engine sounds better than others unless you do tests with the exact same material in different DAWs using the exact same settings.

And that's exactly what I did Seth. :) I sure can't hear a difference in the files I posted up. 3 different performances of the same passage recorded in each DAW and exported out of each DAW. If there is a difference, I sure can't hear enough of one that would make me choose one over the other. Did you happen to check them out? I'm curious as to what you or some of the other bakers thought about it. I think the people that have chimed in here mentioning hearing differences in my files are basing that on how my performance varied to some degree in each one. There's only so perfect one can play the same thing 3 times...and I'm one of those guys that isn't a very consistent "play the same exact thing" player. But for the life of me, I sure can't tell a difference that is blatantly obvious.

-Danny

My Site
Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
trimph1
Re:Sound Quality of Sonar X1 2012/03/11 09:33:23 (permalink)
I listened to the test files of Danny's on my system here...and, of course, I cannot find any difference either...

Bushpianos
John T
Re:Sound Quality of Sonar X1 2012/03/11 09:40:48 (permalink)
CONSPIRACY! YOU GUYS ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER.

Self-build PC // 16GB RAM // i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz // Nofan 0dB cooler // ASUS P8-Z77 V Pro motherboard // Intel x-25m SSD System Drive // Seagate RAID Array Audio Drive // Windows 10 64 bit // Sonar Platinum (64 bit) // Sonar VS-700 // M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 // KRK RP-6 Monitors // and a bunch of other stuff
trimph1
Re:Sound Quality of Sonar X1 2012/03/11 09:49:01 (permalink)

Bushpianos
relpomiraculous
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 525
Re:Sound Quality of Sonar X1 2012/03/11 10:00:45 (permalink)
Thread of the Month. This place is packed with pros.

Sonar X2 64 bit - Win 7 Pro 64 bit - Intel Core i7 870 - 8 gigs of ram - HP 3130 desktop
SteveStrummerUK
Re:Sound Quality of Sonar X1 2012/03/11 10:09:55 (permalink)

"From the innovative Skylight interface to the legendary, “big-studio” sound of the ProChannel console strip, SONAR X1 Producer is the ideal choice for anyone serious about music production."

Hmm... marketing at its best then?

John T
Re:Sound Quality of Sonar X1 2012/03/11 10:12:54 (permalink)
What's your point? The ProChannel modules do indeed have a "sound". Don't see how that relates to this thread.

Rain
  • Total Posts : 9736
Re:Sound Quality of Sonar X1 2012/03/11 10:17:21 (permalink)

"There’s a reason SONAR just sounds better. SONAR's industry-first, end-to-end, 64-bit double precision floating point mix engine allows you to mix with sonic clarity using a suite of versatile effects, powerful mixing tools, and endless routing possibilities."
http://www.cakewalk.com/P...ouble-Precision-Engine

Sorry couldn't resist...

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
Re:Sound Quality of Sonar X1 2012/03/11 10:21:08 (permalink)
Rain

"There’s a reason SONAR just sounds better. SONAR's industry-first, end-to-end, 64-bit double precision floating point mix engine allows you to mix with sonic clarity using a suite of versatile effects, powerful mixing tools, and endless routing possibilities."
http://www.cakewalk.com/P...ouble-Precision-Engine

Sorry couldn't resist...

Yes, a 64-bit double precision audio engine will dos sound better than a 32-bit float, 24-bit, etc. engine. This can be proved mathematically that there will be less rounding errors in the summing with a 64-bit audio engine vs. others.

Comparing 64-bit audio engine to 64-bit audio engine, I doubt there would be a difference.

SP
trimph1
Re:Sound Quality of Sonar X1 2012/03/11 10:24:51 (permalink)
mmmm...I'm waiting for 128 bit ..... 

Bushpianos
Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 13 of 31
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1