Sound Quality of Sonar X1

Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 15 of 31
Author
Bub
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7196
Re:Sound Quality of Sonar X1 2012/03/12 00:12:10 (permalink)
Danny Danzi

P.S. a note on stereo interleave: When I record mono tracks, it auto switches for me. I have no problems with it the way it is now.
It's always been that way. Well, it has been since SPE 8.0, can't say before that. The difference is, in X1 they moved the Interleave button and now you can't see it change state from Stereo to Mono when you change your input settings. It was just second nature to click input, then click interleave back to stereo when it was right there in front of you on the track. Now it's very easy to forget unless you watch the ticks on the VST's in the effects bin, and those are hard to see now as well. :(
One thing I will say though....I really would like to have the stereo interleave button brought back onto my track pain instead of using inspector to see it. We're talking one little button....I definitely miss it being where it was.
+1 ... and bring the Phase button back too. I use it a lot on double/triple tracking and many other things.

"I pulled the head off Elvis, filled Fred up to his pelvis, yaba daba do, the King is gone, and so are you."
kevo
Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1038
Re:Sound Quality of Sonar X1 2012/03/12 00:12:46 (permalink)
NOOO!!!!! IT CAN'T BE OVER~!

Can we please go back to comments such as:

"All this technical talk is really hilarious. Sorry, I don't trust numbers, I trust my EARS. I've been a musician long enough to know when something sounds different than something else. There IS a difference"

PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE!

Or, how bout the Motown stuff????

Eor!  More Monster Drink, less Flux!

Really, the thread should not die. It was filled with such great stuff!

I wish I'd never participated now!
If this is where it ends. I am sad!

Um... Ok..
How bout this?
I play the piano by ear. And it hurts!

Or, I'm editing midi and I deleted a note by putting white out on the screen, but the note keeps playing! What's that all about?
kevo
Re:Sound Quality of Sonar X1 2012/03/12 00:19:35 (permalink)
brozobob

Thanks Bub-

At least you had the decency to explain how/why.  Had I posted the files long ago, it wouldn't have gotten this far.  Fortunately, I'm not the only one out there that didn't realize this...obviously many other threads have been started re: this topic. 

I'm going to have a nice shot of Crown, and then hit the hay.

Anyhow, to all of you...have fun with this.   If it makes you feel better, have at it.  Your genius (or lack of stupidity) surely will earn you hundreds of dollars per year making great music...or not.
Hey Bob,
I wouldn't feel too bad about it.
Most of the thread wasn't about you or your problem anyway.

It was about the nonsense some users were posting.

There isn't anyone on the forum who hasn't done something bonehead.

The thread was fun!
And it was not at your expense.

It would have helped to have posted your examples from the beginning.
The problem would have been resolved quickly.

Take care.

Kind regards!

brozobob
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 30
Re:Sound Quality of Sonar X1 2012/03/12 00:29:21 (permalink)
Thanks Kevo...all in good fun, for sure.

And yes, the stuff about using Sonar only for Motown, that makes me feel much better about myself  :)

Like I said early in the post, I new there had to be a simple reason....I just needed to sort it out...and thankfully I can get on hearing things the way I wanted too.

Let's get this thread up to 20k in views and 2k replies.   Then I can consider myself a success in life.

Tools: Sonar Producer X1c // PC Dual Core Intel/Giga/Windows XP 32 bit // E-MU 1616M // M-Audio BX5a studio monitors // M-Audio Axiom 61 // Korg
PadKontrol // Amplitube 2 // Dimension Pro // Rapture //  V-Station // FM8 // Battery // EZ Drummer // Carvin Bolt // Fender Stratocaster // Tradition Jerry Reid Pro Tele // Alvarez 5056 // Vox AC4TV // Roland BC-60/310 // Blackstar HT-60 Soloist
Middleman
Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4397
Re:Sound Quality of Sonar X1 2012/03/12 01:12:15 (permalink)
OMG did I just read the last two pages and get this right. brozobob, the difference you were hearing was the wrong interleave switch? Now everything sounds the same?

Say it ain't so. The best comedy thread in years has a logical explaination. This one beat the dead horse, chopped it up for stew and fertilized the trail.

I agree with Danny, takes a great guy to fess up. Go forth and record in confidence knowing that Sonar has few limits.

Gear: A bunch of stuff.
Saintom
Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1749
Re:Sound Quality of Sonar X1 2012/03/12 01:31:13 (permalink)
And yes, the stuff about using Sonar only for Motown, that makes me feel much better about myself  :)

If I read history correctly. most old Motown was  recorded/mixed in mono

And to add to the conversation, I always monitor my recordings in mono, meaning even if I have a stereo mic. placement, I wont pan them until I am satisfied of how they sound in mono.

Even in my mixing stage I will mix in mono for a while.

Good thread, it made people think and experiment, I learned a couple of things, and I am sure others have as well. 

Tom

Sometimes we see the light, Sometimes we stare at the light, and wonder why it is so bright...
FastBikerBoy
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 11326
Re:Sound Quality of Sonar X1 2012/03/12 03:21:02 (permalink)
No.......no.....no......noooooooooooo......let's pretend the last two pages haven't been posted. let's carry on....

Lanceindastudio
Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4604
Re:Sound Quality of Sonar X1 2012/03/12 03:28:55 (permalink)
I knew either it was a troll thread or something was wrong with his system.

Nice to see the OP got it worked out! 

Lance

Asus P8Z77-V LE PLUS Motherboard   
i7 3770k CPU
32 gigs RAM
Presonus AudioBox iTwo
Windows 10 64 bit, SONAR PLATINUM 64 bit
Lots of plugins and softsynths and one shot samples, loops
Gauge ECM-87, MCA SP-1, Alesis AM51
Presonus Eureka
Mackie HR824's and matching subwoofer
kevo
Re:Sound Quality of Sonar X1 2012/03/12 04:11:18 (permalink)
Lanceindastudio

I knew either it was a troll thread or something was wrong with his system.

Nice to see the OP got it worked out! 

Lance

I believed the OP was hearing something from the beginning of the thread.
The OP contributed very little to the 15 pages of (I'm being polite here) content of the thread.

The OP is not the one who caused the thread to head in the direction it went.  It was the forum members who took the thread in the direction it went.

Had the OP included the samples from the beginning, his problem would have quickly been resolved and we would have been robbed of a great thread.

Some individuals should have had some wind knoked out
of their sails for having made the comments they did.

The thread actually ended quite well.  The OP had his problem solved and he can now make music.  He has my respect for having put up with what
took place here  and he fessing up to making an error.
Can't get any better than that.

I am not sure why people are so quick to make judgements concerning posters in the forum. Nor do I understand why whenever someone says something negative about Sonar they get placed in front of the firing squad.

The OP had a legit problem which was easy to resolve.

Virtually every thread gets turned into a cirus act here.

I believe Bob's (the OP) avatar is quite fitting for what takes place on the CW forums.

bobguitkillerleft
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 944
Re:Sound Quality of Sonar X1 2012/03/12 04:26:09 (permalink)
I know I can't really complain,but I reckon THAT particular clown in his avatar has done this before!

Anyone remember EVH's T-shirt from 84?

No Bozos! Ha Ha Please don't take offense,I did exactly the same thing when comparing to Windows Media Player!

I just always wanted this T shirt back then and,we all know how it goes,Cheers Bozos[me included of course]RK.  

post edited by bobguitkillerleft - 2012/03/12 07:08:10

https://soundcloud.com/rks26https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hitmen Lenovo W540 Factoryrefurb SONAR PLATINUM,Ozone 7 N.I. KA6 Komplete 9 SSD4 Platinum Epi L/H LP Custom Headstock broken twice and fixed.Gibson L/H Les Paul 2010 Wine Red Studio stupid Right Hand Vol.Tone for Left Hand?LH84Ibanez RS135 gen.FloydRose JB Marshall 100w 2203 4x25w Celestion Green backs
"You are what you is"-Frank Zappa "But I'm gonna wave my freak flag high"-Jimi Hendrix    
strikinglyhandsome1
Max Output Level: -3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7224
Re:Sound Quality of Sonar X1 2012/03/12 05:12:15 (permalink)
I still haven't quite worked out who won. It's important to win on the internet and I'm frustrated at not knowing who the victors are.
Freddie H
Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3617
Re:Sound Quality of Sonar X1 2012/03/12 05:34:46 (permalink)
frankandfree

John T

Also, Sonar works fine in XP, and Cakewalk officially support it. 

I'm impressed that this thread is evolving into a general purpose misinformation thread. I've been wondering where to post my guide to planting cheese trees. 

Freddie is the master of misinformation .

FTR, Cakewalk implemented the 64bit engine with Sonar v7 end of 2007. Lots of people (me included) had to switch it off to make Sonar work back then. Reaper v1 came out (with 64bit float audio engine) end of 2006. Might be the "double precision" suffix is what makes the difference, though...
No I'm not. Right now you are  the" master of misinformation "when stating that kind of statement about me.

Sometimes I'm wrong and I'm not afraid to admit it if I am.  I'm one of a few that has the confidence to do so.
Most guys are not willing to admit they are wrong even though "the world" prove them wrong. 
Think about it!

-Highly developed spirits often encounter resistance from mediocre minds. -It really matters!
strikinglyhandsome1
Re:Sound Quality of Sonar X1 2012/03/12 05:38:23 (permalink)
Freddie H - you're my 'go to' when I want to read large fonts.
pwal
Max Output Level: -46 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2909
Re:Sound Quality of Sonar X1 2012/03/12 06:53:58 (permalink)
lol i bet he's not using firefox

list of stuff
pwal
Max Output Level: -46 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2909
Re:Sound Quality of Sonar X1 2012/03/12 06:54:52 (permalink)
double

list of stuff
Jonbouy
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 22562
Re:Sound Quality of Sonar X1 2012/03/12 07:10:18 (permalink)
kevo

brozobob

Thanks Bub-

At least you had the decency to explain how/why.  Had I posted the files long ago, it wouldn't have gotten this far.  Fortunately, I'm not the only one out there that didn't realize this...obviously many other threads have been started re: this topic. 

I'm going to have a nice shot of Crown, and then hit the hay.

Anyhow, to all of you...have fun with this.   If it makes you feel better, have at it.  Your genius (or lack of stupidity) surely will earn you hundreds of dollars per year making great music...or not.
Hey Bob,
I wouldn't feel too bad about it.
Most of the thread wasn't about you or your problem anyway.

It was about the nonsense some users were posting.

There isn't anyone on the forum who hasn't done something bonehead.

The thread was fun!
And it was not at your expense.

It would have helped to have posted your examples from the beginning.
The problem would have been resolved quickly.

Take care.

Kind regards!

Absoluely my thoughts 100%

Bob your contribution was exemplary here, you maintained you could hear a difference and you were right to maintain that stance throughout.

What has made the thread a comedy special was all the theology masquerading as science offered since, this is what makes it one of the best retrospective reads anywhere.

You played your part and you haven't come across badly, most of us here will have done something as simple as you and spent hours trying to work out what's going on, there's no shame in that.

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
trimph1
Max Output Level: -12 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6348
Re:Sound Quality of Sonar X1 2012/03/12 07:21:57 (permalink)
Whew, I thought I would need to post the 4 Kittehs of the Apocalypse... 

Bob, you stood your ground and I am glad you did...I was one of those who helped put it in the other direction I admit...I did not comprehend your post...

The space you have will always be exceeded in direct proportion to the amount of stuff you have...Thornton's Postulate.

Bushpianos
Bristol_Jonesey
  • Total Posts : 16775
Re:Sound Quality of Sonar X1 2012/03/12 07:26:29 (permalink)
Hey Bob, append the word *SOLVED* to the thread title.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
Jonbouy
Re:Sound Quality of Sonar X1 2012/03/12 07:35:02 (permalink)

I believed the OP was hearing something from the beginning of the thread.
The OP contributed very little to the 15 pages of (I'm being polite here) content of the thread.

The OP is not the one who caused the thread to head in the direction it went.  It was the forum members who took the thread in the direction it went.

Had the OP included the samples from the beginning, his problem would have quickly been resolved and we would have been robbed of a great thread.

Some individuals should have had some wind knoked out
of their sails for having made the comments they did.

The thread actually ended quite well.  The OP had his problem solved and he can now make music.  He has my respect for having put up with what
took place here  and he fessing up to making an error.
Can't get any better than that.

I am not sure why people are so quick to make judgements concerning posters in the forum. Nor do I understand why whenever someone says something negative about Sonar they get placed in front of the firing squad.

The OP had a legit problem which was easy to resolve.

Virtually every thread gets turned into a cirus act here.

I believe Bob's (the OP) avatar is quite fitting for what takes place on the CW forums.

Post of the year IMO.

FastBikerBoy
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 11326
Re:Sound Quality of Sonar X1 2012/03/12 07:38:48 (permalink)
Am I getting some inference here that it's possible to be wrong on the internet? 
Jonbouy
Re:Sound Quality of Sonar X1 2012/03/12 07:48:30 (permalink)
FastBikerBoy

Am I getting some inference here that it's possible to be wrong on the internet? 

The inference I get is that when folk here don't like what's being said about their favourite DAW software they'd rather collude to make a bunch of noise to drown out that voice rather than listen to what is actually being said.

Generally people don't like a party pooper especially when they confront the revellers with a simple fact that could threaten the state of blissful ignorance among them.

For example selecting any of the 'Stereo' outs (other than the 'Mains') on the shiny new 64 bit Rewire implementation will have caused anyone the same problem as the one the OP was having without the cause being user error.

Simply because it's taken 5 months just to recompile the good ol' 32 bit implementation without even addressing the several years old output selection issues.

post edited by Jonbouy - 2012/03/12 08:08:20

frankandfree
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 447
Re:Sound Quality of Sonar X1 2012/03/12 07:53:14 (permalink)
Freddie H

frankandfree

John T

I'm impressed that this thread is evolving into a general purpose misinformation thread. I've been wondering where to post my guide to planting cheese trees. 

FTR, Cakewalk implemented the 64bit engine with Sonar v7 end of 2007. Lots of people (me included) had to switch it off to make Sonar work back then. Reaper v1 came out (with 64bit float audio engine) end of 2006. Might be the "double precision" suffix is what makes the difference, though...
No I'm not. Right now you are  the" master of misinformation "when stating that kind of statement about me.

Sometimes I'm wrong and I'm not afraid to admit it if I am.  I'm one of a few that has the confidence to do so.
Most guys are not willing to admit they are wrong even though "the world" prove them wrong.
Think about it!

I'm sorry for that remark. Even with the smiley it's not good form. It's by far not the first time i see you  spreading false info, but it shouldn't be a reason to offend you. My apologies.

I do though stand by the fact that Sonar hasn't been the first DAW to implement 64bit float. Yes, Sonar7 was advertized as such - I can understand how Reaper slipped under their radar back then -, but it's weird to see Cakewalk apparently still holding on to that claim, (even though the world proved them wrong ).

It's a bit hard to back it up after all this time, what i can offer is a link to a  PDF of the old Reaper quick start guide including a feature list, dating back to 2006-02-27.
kevo
Re:Sound Quality of Sonar X1 2012/03/12 08:09:13 (permalink)
frankandfree

Freddie H

frankandfree

John T

Think about it!

I'm sorry for that remark. Even with the smiley it's not good form. It's by far not the first time i see you  spreading false info, but it shouldn't be a reason to offend you. My apologies.

I do though stand by the fact that Sonar hasn't been the first DAW to implement 64bit float. Yes, Sonar7 was advertized as such - I can understand how Reaper slipped under their radar back then -, but it's weird to see Cakewalk apparently still holding on to that claim, (even though the world proved them wrong ).

It's a bit hard to back it up after all this time, what i can offer is a link to a  PDF of the old Reaper quick start guide including a feature list, dating back to 2006-02-27.
ahhmmm.. cough.
http://www.cakewalk.com/Press/release.aspx/01-20-05-x64

John T
Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6783
Re:Sound Quality of Sonar X1 2012/03/12 08:10:53 (permalink)
Ah, no, hang on. That's talking about the program itself being 64 bit. The audio system being 64 bit is a different matter.

http://johntatlockaudio.com/
Self-build PC // 16GB RAM // i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz // Nofan 0dB cooler // ASUS P8-Z77 V Pro motherboard // Intel x-25m SSD System Drive // Seagate RAID Array Audio Drive // Windows 10 64 bit // Sonar Platinum (64 bit) // Sonar VS-700 // M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 // KRK RP-6 Monitors // and a bunch of other stuff
frankandfree
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 447
Re:Sound Quality of Sonar X1 2012/03/12 08:14:49 (permalink)
Nope, Reaper's audio engine was 64bit float from the first alpha release.

I am not that sure whether there was a 64bit version of the program itself. Actually I do think that came out quite a bit later.

Edit: Yep, the first 64bit beta version apparently came Juli 2008.
post edited by frankandfree - 2012/03/12 08:24:44
strikinglyhandsome1
Re:Sound Quality of Sonar X1 2012/03/12 08:19:09 (permalink)
Hooray! We are off and running again!
Jonbouy
Re:Sound Quality of Sonar X1 2012/03/12 08:19:58 (permalink)
John T

Ah, no, hang on. That's talking about the program itself being 64 bit. The audio system being 64 bit is a different matter.

Actually John I'm going to give credit where it's due here, you come out of this one, having called for people to look out for what the OP was actually saying and experiencing, pretty good.

You even asked for him to post the examples which would have solved the mystery early on.

Fair play.

kevo
Re:Sound Quality of Sonar X1 2012/03/12 08:25:53 (permalink)
John T

Not going to argue about it because it really doesn't matter to me.

But, are you really claiming that a 64 bit application is going to make 32 bit calculations?

It is not impossible but very unlikely.

And, not to be technical, but there is no such thing as an audio engine...

An application is either 64 bit, or it is 32 bit.

What I believe happened is marketing got a hold of the 64 bit concept and
used it as a marketing point after the fact.

But even *if* it is possible that for whatever reason the 64 bit application was only doing 32 bit calculations, (chuckle) reaper was not a major player in the game at the time. So it is natural it would not have been considered.

kevo
Re:Sound Quality of Sonar X1 2012/03/12 08:30:43 (permalink)
YES! The thread lives!

BTW, strikinglyhandsome1 gets my vote for best lyrics.

Not sure how to vote for any other winners in the thread.
John T
Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6783
Re:Sound Quality of Sonar X1 2012/03/12 08:36:11 (permalink)
Kevo, honestly, they are two separate things. There is a setting in preferences allowing you to run the audio system in 64 bit *or* 32 bit mode. This is available whether you are running 64 bit windows or not. Indeed, it's been part of Sonar since before there even was a 64 bit windows.

http://johntatlockaudio.com/
Self-build PC // 16GB RAM // i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz // Nofan 0dB cooler // ASUS P8-Z77 V Pro motherboard // Intel x-25m SSD System Drive // Seagate RAID Array Audio Drive // Windows 10 64 bit // Sonar Platinum (64 bit) // Sonar VS-700 // M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 // KRK RP-6 Monitors // and a bunch of other stuff
Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 15 of 31
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1