Sound Quality of Sonar X1

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 7 of 31
Author
Rimshot
Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4625
Re:Sound Quality of Sonar X1 2012/03/07 16:33:12 (permalink)
@brozobob,

As requested multiple times now, please post an A/B sample of what you are talking about.

Rimshot

Rimshot 

Sonar Platinum 64 (Lifer), Studio One V3.5, Notion 6, Steinberg UR44, Zoom R24, Purrrfect Audio Pro Studio DAW (Case: Silent Mid Tower, Power Supply: 600w quiet, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz (8 threads), RAM: 16GB DDR3/1600 
, OS drive: 1TB HD, Audio drive: 1TB HD), Windows 10 x64 Anniversary, Equator D5 monitors, Faderport, FP8, Akai MPK261
Sylvan
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 793
Re:Sound Quality of Sonar X1 2012/03/07 16:43:10 (permalink)
cliffsp8

@brozobob

I'm guessing it's something to do with how the input monitoring is set up. 
I played a recorded file of a guitar in Sonar and in Studio One and they sounded exactly the same (after ensuring the pan law is the same  - S1 uses -3db centre) when playing back through the same output on my RME FFUC. 

Then I inserting a Guitar Rig 4 preset into the tracks in the two DAWs - I used the Sultans of Pop preset, as you suggested a clean setting. Listening again the two tracks sounded just the same - definitely no level difference, or tonal differences for that matter.

So that just leaves the live playing and input monitoring a\s a factor.

Do you have any ASIO input monitoring going on in the non-SONAR DAWs? SONAR does not support it.

On a clean preset a bit of ASIO monitoring (or in the interface monitoring) would add to the processed signal and appear to make the sound louder.

Hey, I think you may be on to something here.

My apolagies to the OP if I had come off closed minded about your experience. I just was speaking from my own experience and I had not encountered this before.

I do believe that you are hearing something, I am not sure what, but something. For the good of SONAR and the users of all DAWS, I hope we can find what is happening in your setup.

I am unable to reproduce your issue on my setup. I have both SONAR and Reaper and the included Guitar Rig LE or whatever it is. I never use it so I am not sure about all that stuff. But I am trying it out for this issue specifically. (I normally use tube amps from Peavey, Mesa Boogie, and Marshal in which they sound identicle in monitoring and summing between DAWS).

I hope you get this figured out man.

SONAR Platinum
RME Fireface UFX
Tascam US 20X20
Tascam US 16X08
Intel i7-5830K LGA2011V3 (6 CORE)
Asus X99-AII
Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB
Geeforce GTX 970 4GB
Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re:Sound Quality of Sonar X1 2012/03/07 17:20:00 (permalink)
I have just completed a test and had some interesting results. This will be more from a high fidelity point of view. I have got a great recording of a very good band playing a sort of light rock latin groove with vocals. It has been recorded by a very fine engineer (on an independent third DAW) and it is a total lesson in great mike choices and placement. Even when you use no plugins a fantastic mix is easily possible and it just sounds great with no effects or plugins at all being used. The balance just needs to be correct.

I mixed this down in Sonar 8.5 and Studio One V2. Here are some important points about the test.

The sessions are at 48K 24 bit and I left them at that res all the way through to avoid any other influences due to dithering and sample rate conversion.

I panned only Left, Right and Centre to avoid any pan law differences. (Even famous engineers have said you should only use these three positions!) I was surprised how good the panning sounds. There are a bunch of stereo tracks.

The channel faders are at only whole numbers of -dB's eg -5 dB or -7 dB etc

There are 18 audio tracks and they are mono so two were used for stereo parts eg piano, drum oheads etc

No plug ins used on any tracks so we are testing the mix engine mainly.

64 bit double res was used in both.

Real Time mixes were done as well has off line bounces. (they both sounded the same)

Sound Quality assessment. Both DAW's sounded excellent and they were identical level wise. I did suspect however that the bottom end in Sonar (upper bass) sounded a little different to Studio One but not major. I must say they both sounded superlative. There is not a major this one sounds bad the other sounds great.

Null test did not give me a complete null. If you are wondering did I get my horizontal positioning correct, I certainly did. Even minute time differences produce a very loud output very quickly. I was able to adjust the timing so the entire track disappeared, except almost. Also got my levels matched perfectly for the most minimum sound left behind right up at higher volume.

Firstly this does show that there may in fact be differences in even how two different DAW's handle the mix engine. 

Back to null sounds. All top end completely cancelled and what was left was not above 500Hz or 1Khz at most. This was confirmed as switching the two waves (without null test) or just comparing, I heard the top end was excellent in both or identical.

What was left in the null test was short bursts of low freq energy (between 30 and 150 Hz) in time with the kick drum and you could hear parts of the bass line wandering around too, very deep parts. So it means one of the DAW's is doing something different to these areas.

So there you have it, a situation where a complete null was not obtained and I was very careful to match everything as closely as possible.  Up loud the mixes both sound great and even the differences in that low end area are maybe not significant but just audible at times. I felt the Sonar mix had a slightly harder sound in the low end and the Studio One mix was a bit smoother and clearer and deeper down there but very very subjective. Hard to hear in reality. I am glad though that a complete null is also not possible.

I can also agree with Scott in that synths can and do produce some interesting combinations of fequencies so this may be heightened in other styles.

Update:
It is much harder to hear the differences audio wise.  But if you set up Span and just look at the remains of the null components there are two frequencies present mainly in this track anyway under 40 Hz and about 120 Hz. When you expand Span right out so you are only looking at say 20 Hz to 400 Hz only, there are differences in the way the curves move to the music in each case. Studio One seems to have more energy around 30 to 35 Hz on the Span graphs. It looks like it is a less steep slope around 30 Hz to 20 Hz as well.

Also if you are wondering how far down the remains of the null components are compared to the tracks themselves I have measured it and it is around 12 to 14 dB. It varies, it jumps a little high at times and also drops down to 20 db in some cases. So the question you may ask is how much to the overall picture would these artifacts effect the sound. We all know that even small amounts can be perceived.

There are two reasons why you will get null components left over. One is the levels may be different from the two DAW's at those frequencies but also there may be timing differences also at those points. Timing differences also create null components or sounds. Hard to tell which it is but they are there.

Testing how the same plugin behaves inside two different DAW's is also a valid test and is something a bit different to what I think I have done here.

post edited by Jeff Evans - 2012/03/08 00:19:43

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
cliffsp8
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 375
Re:Sound Quality of Sonar X1 2012/03/07 17:33:10 (permalink)

Yes, and IIRC it can produce unexpected results - which is why I use the interface's mixer for at-source monitoring.
Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk
]

That's a brilliant theory. I assume you mean ASIO direct monitoring..

Cliff 

DAW: W10 x64 Q6600, Intel MB, 4G Ram, 2x500GB 7200, 1x1TB 7200, 
Mobile 1: Win 10 x32 Lenovo X60, 3G Ram, 500GB 7200  
Mobile 2: W10 x64 Lenovo T60, 3G Ram, 500GB 7200
I/O's: RME FFUC, MAudio FW1814, ADA8000, Echo Indigo,  Alphatrack, various midi stuff 

SvenArne
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2719
Re:Sound Quality of Sonar X1 2012/03/07 18:20:38 (permalink)
bitflipper

Dappa1, I for one hope you don't get banned. You can always be counted on to liven a conversation, even if it's just to get John T's blood boiling.

+1!

He's like the good buddy you have that always gets way more drunk than everyone else and says and does the stuff you talk about for years.

BTW, I'm a big fan of John T as well!

Sven

SvenArne
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2719
Re:Sound Quality of Sonar X1 2012/03/07 18:26:12 (permalink)
Jeff, that's a truly impressive test!

Kan you give some dB figures from the results of the nulling diskrepansy so we kan get an idea of the magnitude of SONAR's bass "karakter"?

Edited after Jeff's update: Signifikant to say the least! Thanks for making this thread much more interesting!
post edited by SvenArne - 2012/03/07 19:35:59

Lanceindastudio
  • Total Posts : 4604
Re:Sound Quality of Sonar X1 2012/03/07 18:31:39 (permalink)
Exactly Jim!

Lance
Jim Roseberry

Danny - as I understand it, enabling the 64 bit engine *can* result in better sound, at least in theory. BUT, and it's a big "but", this isn't some automatic thing where everything sounds nice and shiny in 64 bit mode. It's more to do with how complicated your mix is, what your effects chains are up to, how complex your routing is and so on. Mathematically speaking, as a mix gets more and more complicated, there is a higher possibility of degradation (through and increased amount of rounding inaccuracy) in the 32 bit space than the 64 bit space. That's the bit that's definitely happening and not a matter for debate. To what extent this is audible is an open question. I *think* I can hear the difference too (on really complex mixes), but I wouldn't go to the cross for that view, it's hard to be sure.

John, that's a pretty good summary of how I feel.
All things being equal, I'll take the extra resolution (effectively making any potential rounding-error a moot point).

Roughly 10 years ago, I was one who was convinced that different DAW apps sounded different.
Over time... all the major apps (IMO) improved... as did the quality of native EFX/processing.
At this point, any potential differences are FAR less than the different "sound" you'd achieve by using a different tape machine.  There are far more significant things to concentrate on (mic choice/position, playing, arrangement, mix, etc)... that will have a much more profound impact on the final result.

Unless you're encountering a specific bug, you can achieve good results with any of the major applications.

Asus P8Z77-V LE PLUS Motherboard   
i7 3770k CPU
32 gigs RAM
Presonus AudioBox iTwo
Windows 10 64 bit, SONAR PLATINUM 64 bit
Lots of plugins and softsynths and one shot samples, loops
Gauge ECM-87, MCA SP-1, Alesis AM51
Presonus Eureka
Mackie HR824's and matching subwoofer
dappa1
Max Output Level: -46 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2949
Re:Sound Quality of Sonar X1 2012/03/07 19:02:49 (permalink)
The only time you will ever get a number one on the billboards with sonar is if you are replicating a motown style sounding song or when Cake fix the audio engine :) I like the sound of Sonar it doesnt have a digital overly processed sound like the new genre of music. Unless you compress the beehive out of it. Sonar to my ears sounds better than Logic anyway. Though logic in other departments is the DAW of all DAWs

Sonar X series 
https://youtu.be/9YNplnhTAZY Steal My Girl
 https://youtu.be/A0VPi_UZmLo Moon & Stars

KRK VXT6 Studio One 3  Main: SPLAT for Lifetime: Formerly known as...
Nothing beats the best!
John T
Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6783
Re:Sound Quality of Sonar X1 2012/03/07 19:07:36 (permalink)
You don't have the faintest idea what you're talking about.

http://johntatlockaudio.com/
Self-build PC // 16GB RAM // i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz // Nofan 0dB cooler // ASUS P8-Z77 V Pro motherboard // Intel x-25m SSD System Drive // Seagate RAID Array Audio Drive // Windows 10 64 bit // Sonar Platinum (64 bit) // Sonar VS-700 // M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 // KRK RP-6 Monitors // and a bunch of other stuff
dappa1
Re:Sound Quality of Sonar X1 2012/03/07 19:11:26 (permalink)
Which part John T put me out of my misery. You and I know that Sonar sounds better than the Homestudio which means there is a strong posibility that other DAWs will have a different sound what I would say though is you dont have to mix the beeswax out of Sonar to get it to sound right. But then again someone on another DAW may say the same. Some of you probably listen to music at such a high level that the pristine signal you are identifying is just your ears ringing! Johnt Dappa's public forums enemy number one! John T can you paint?

Sonar X series 

Nothing beats the best!
John T
Re:Sound Quality of Sonar X1 2012/03/07 19:14:40 (permalink)
What homestudio? What on earth are you blathering on about?

Self-build PC // 16GB RAM // i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz // Nofan 0dB cooler // ASUS P8-Z77 V Pro motherboard // Intel x-25m SSD System Drive // Seagate RAID Array Audio Drive // Windows 10 64 bit // Sonar Platinum (64 bit) // Sonar VS-700 // M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 // KRK RP-6 Monitors // and a bunch of other stuff
bvideo
Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1707
Re:Sound Quality of Sonar X1 2012/03/07 19:17:22 (permalink)
Jeff Evans -- it's great to get some data to discuss. That is a big difference. Maybe someone's channel strip is disassembling and reassembling the sound even with the parameters at nominal, and getting phase or rounding errors. IOW not just mixing. Or a simpler explanation would be that the level settings of the tracks are not precisely matched at the same level readout at the GUI. To verify this might require solo rendering and comparing some of the buses. Very interesting data points.
Jason Gray
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 243
Re:Sound Quality of Sonar X1 2012/03/07 19:22:54 (permalink)
All I can say on this, Is that i have used, ableton, cubase, Reason, Studio one, reaper
My finds:
4th) ableton well below par,some what muffled compared to these other daws, needs a lot more Intelligent mixing and mastering.
3rd) Studio one _ Has lost sound quality since V1, i feel has a nasty harsh texture in the upper ranges, in overall sound comparing both Raw sounds and mixed sounds, somthing i cant quite put my finger on,
2nd) Cubase and reaper -Good,
1st) Reason_ Excellent although differ from sonar my ears say,
1st) Sonar actually sounds best by far to me in its natural un-mixed state before effects processing, just something that words can try to explain but would not justify, summing it up in my ears , Its stands out it feels/sounds nice in all the frequency ranges that my Own ears can hear, Before i even try to mix or master, it sounds pretty dam good,makes me feel confident, (Shame about the stability of the audio engine).

Many of us will have different views on this the sound we like, becuase of the scientific and psychological nature or hearing and our perception of hearing. But then again their is plane old poor sound in genral, or songs trashed if we mess up the mixing and mastering, Beauty is in the eye of the beholder said someone , i would say Ask a/the "8bit Kid" the hearing equivelant of that question.

How to setup drum maps the easy way
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0Bz8iPy9mIkNyX2dTcXRzSEVSUlNscXdETTROZTIyZw
Sonar X3 with Addictive Drums - everything you need (Templates, Maps etc. ) 
http://ge.tt/4mjHdSt/v/0

Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re:Sound Quality of Sonar X1 2012/03/07 19:32:01 (permalink)
Subjacent is wrong about Studio One versions being different. I just did the same mix on the first version and got a pretty well identical result. Interesting though, a couple of other instruments just starting to poke through in the null components left over. Studio One sounds the same from first version to second. (excellent)

I have been using Studio One for about 15 months and non stop and have upgraded too so I would notice if there were any differences. Its better if anything.

Once you start inserting plugins and instruments then in a way all bets are off because from then on you will strive to get an excellent result because your ears should lead you there on any DAW.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
Lanceindastudio
Re:Sound Quality of Sonar X1 2012/03/07 19:37:18 (permalink)
Sonar will definitely not be what stops somebody from having a number 1 hit lmao!!!

Your delirious!!

Lance

i7 3770k CPU
32 gigs RAM
Presonus AudioBox iTwo
Presonus Eureka
dappa1
Re:Sound Quality of Sonar X1 2012/03/07 19:41:14 (permalink)
How many numbers ones has Sonar mustered compared to Say...cubase, pro tools even fruity loops. At a guess I would say they are not much people who go for the Sonar Motown kinda sound. Even though I like it. Most sounds these days are highly compressed, or pristine. not warm

Sonar X series 

Nothing beats the best!
John T
Re:Sound Quality of Sonar X1 2012/03/07 19:44:31 (permalink)
Interesting. So basically, in using Sonar, if your argument is correct, you always have a good excuse for not achieving much. I think I get it now.

dappa1
Re:Sound Quality of Sonar X1 2012/03/07 19:56:47 (permalink)
we are all on a par where is your music being played. I have played my music to a few people who said they would pay for it.

Sonar X series 

Nothing beats the best!
John T
Re:Sound Quality of Sonar X1 2012/03/07 19:58:39 (permalink)
It's what I do for a living.

daryl1968
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10984
Re:Sound Quality of Sonar X1 2012/03/07 20:00:08 (permalink)
Dappa - sorry, but you're talking out your arse
bobguitkillerleft
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 944
Re:Sound Quality of Sonar X1 2012/03/07 20:01:09 (permalink)
In Regards to Sound on Sound, here is their response to me emailing them to test the differences amongst the DAW's:

We'd love to, and have explored the idea many times. But it's just not practical, given the number of variables that would need testing for the dozen or more DAWs there are out there.

Other than the built-in plug-ins — which obviously will colour the sound differently in each DAW — the key differences are the precision (word length) at which the DAW and plug-ins are operating — ie 24-bit fixed point, or 32 or 64-bit floating point; any default settings, such as the pan-law, which may by default be set differently in each DAW and thus skew results; and the on-board sample-rate conversion when importing and converting files.

With all those things being equal, there should be no difference. So unless anyone making claims of sonic differences between DAWs has made all these things equal and then done a proper double-blind test and a phase-null test, then I'd be disinclined to trust their opinions!

Hope that helps.

Matt.

So There you have it! Oh and by the way I NEVER USE Windows Media Player to Judge anything!

All my real work is done on my desktop,and I use a variety of players to check my own work[though it's still EARLY DAYS for me]
No I was just mentioning an observation with importing a Zep song on my LAPTOP[Dell XPS 15 L502x i7 2630qm]and this machine is hardly Pro,it was just surprising how much difference between playing the track with WMP and playing back the same song in Sonar X1c Expanded,Im guessing there is a huge amount of difference in the two sound engines on this El Cheapo laptop,I don't know,just an observation I now wish I'd NEVER mentioned.

Any way I will do the same thing on my desktop[when I get time] and I bet there will be little difference[I hope!!] RK.
post edited by bobguitkillerleft - 2012/03/07 20:30:52

https://soundcloud.com/rks26https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hitmen Lenovo W540 Factoryrefurb SONAR PLATINUM,Ozone 7 N.I. KA6 Komplete 9 SSD4 Platinum Epi L/H LP Custom Headstock broken twice and fixed.Gibson L/H Les Paul 2010 Wine Red Studio stupid Right Hand Vol.Tone for Left Hand?LH84Ibanez RS135 gen.FloydRose JB Marshall 100w 2203 4x25w Celestion Green backs
"You are what you is"-Frank Zappa "But I'm gonna wave my freak flag high"-Jimi Hendrix    
Havengel
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 19
Re:Sound Quality of Sonar X1 2012/03/07 20:03:51 (permalink)
I tried playing back a crunched guitar wav file recorded in Reaper using Pod Farm. 

Compared to Reaper I'd say Sonar has a tiny bit of natural saturation and a tad more punch when imported and played in both DAWS. The high end sounded a bit more squeezed because of this, and Reaper had a tiny bit more clarity. The results were similar when I recorded in Sonar and played back in Reaper.

It ain't much, kinda like changing the capacitator on a guitar tone pot from an Orange Drop to a Bumble Bee.  
backwoods
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2571
Re:Sound Quality of Sonar X1 2012/03/07 20:04:29 (permalink)
"So unless anyone making claims of sonic differences between DAWs has made all these things equal and then done a proper double-blind test and a phase-null test, then I'd be disinclined to trust their opinions! "

Exactly!!! 

Havengel
Re:Sound Quality of Sonar X1 2012/03/07 20:11:09 (permalink)
Yup, don't trust your ears! 
trimph1
Max Output Level: -12 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6348
Re:Sound Quality of Sonar X1 2012/03/07 20:11:55 (permalink)
This is really odd.

It sounds like one of those discussions where one hears that songs made on a certain DAW sounds a certain way...this really makes no sense.

I always thought that it was what YOU put into the piece that counted..not the DAW.  

The space you have will always be exceeded in direct proportion to the amount of stuff you have...Thornton's Postulate.

Bushpianos
John T
Re:Sound Quality of Sonar X1 2012/03/07 20:21:55 (permalink)
Like I said before, it's all just looking in the wrong place. Your monitors, your room, your interface, your microphones, your instruments, how you play them, your writing and arranging skills, these things will all have a massive, massive effect on what results you can achieve. Next most important thing may well be the DAW, but only in terms of how well it suits your way of working, if it has the features you need, and if you know how to use them well. 

Minutely small differences in the essentially standard way daws play back digital audio files should not be on anyone's list of concerns. You couldn't find a bigger waste of time and energy. 

Havengel
Re:Sound Quality of Sonar X1 2012/03/07 20:22:15 (permalink)
Agree, even IF there are tiny sound differences to begin with, why should that affect the end result?
Lanceindastudio
Re:Sound Quality of Sonar X1 2012/03/07 20:52:08 (permalink)
i work with a camp that does msic for a group you ma heard of called the black eyed peas. i get nothin g but ove for the work i bring to the table done in sonar. i often get compliments juss sayin... sorry about typing. im doing this from my phone

i7 3770k CPU
32 gigs RAM
Presonus AudioBox iTwo
Presonus Eureka
stevec
  • Total Posts : 11546
Re:Sound Quality of Sonar X1 2012/03/07 21:11:32 (permalink)
So the Black Eyed Peas are doing Motown now?   

SteveC
https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

chuckebaby
  • Total Posts : 13146
Re:Sound Quality of Sonar X1 2012/03/07 21:12:44 (permalink)
this thread was interesting up untill about post 100..then it turned into the same people over and over trying to nail their point home..

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 7 of 31
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1