Where are the forum moderators?

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 7
Author
jinga8
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5817
RE: Where are the forum moderators? 2008/02/17 13:28:20 (permalink)
I'm usually pretty good at pickin' up what people are puttin' down. But this stuff is freaky man. Peace.
F@KKER
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 440
RE: Where are the forum moderators? 2008/02/17 15:35:07 (permalink)
lock this already!

F@KKER

Someone said:
I've had more time to play with this, and am withdrawing the bug remarks.
This appears to work as designed and is actually a pretty cool feature.
Susan G
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12016
RE: Where are the forum moderators? 2008/02/17 16:03:32 (permalink)
Hi All-

If the moderators want to change the TOS or not enforce them as they stand, that's their right, obviously. If I think some of the avatars and language on the forum violates the current TOS, I have a right to say so, but of course everyone has a right to agree or disagree with that, too. I don't think it's very complicated. Some people seem to be infatuated with the idea that anyone who objects to content here is setting themselves up as the "forum police" or adopting a "holier-than-thou" attitude. I think they're missing the point of my post, but again that's just IMO.

I didn't attack anyone personally. I asked the moderators to step up and enforce their own forum rules. Some of us are uncomfortable with the violations, others aren't. Again, my point was that this forum is open to everyone so *to me* it seems reasonable for CW to enforce the TOS as it stands so as not to alienate anyone, including all potential customers.

How that got translated into "Cake-slamming" and why it engendered personal attacks on me is a separate question, and that's not my issue. If you don't want to read my posts, you can certainly petition to ban me, and there's also the "Block" feature. For anyone who doesn't think I ever post about SONAR, the "Search" function is working again; you could also just look through my last 50-100 posts or go back much further.

Also, I'm not going to point to anyone's avatar or any specific posts because to do so would obviously just rile some people up again. If CW wants examples, I'll provide them.

Thanks-

-Susan
post edited by Susan G - 2008/02/17 16:26:53

2.30 gigahertz Intel Core i7-3610QM; 16 GB RAM
Windows 10 x64; NI Komplete Audio 6.
SONAR Platinum (Lexington) x64
DeveryH
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 780
RE: Where are the forum moderators? 2008/02/17 16:33:47 (permalink)
Why can't we just all get along?!?!?!?
yorolpal
  • Total Posts : 13829
RE: Where are the forum moderators? 2008/02/17 16:40:58 (permalink)
Well, you step away from your computer for a day and look what happens. I shouldn't quote jinga again but "freaky man". I also don't mean to hijack such a spirited, if misguided, debate but I would like to ask a question. Susan, how do you do it? Almost all your posts (at least the ones I remember) seem to generate enormous response counts. You and my ol pal, Space Cowboy and a few others should put out a virtual pamphlet for the rest of us. You know like the "Successful Strategies for Sellling on Ebay" kinda thing. I can't seem to ever get more than 20 or so responses to even my most controversial topics. Ever. Hey, I know, how about "Thread count not long enough? Feeling a bit inadequate in the response generation department there, Slick?" "Well try my new response post lengthener, Tiny, and find out what it's like to have the longest thread count on the block!" Honestly, I know it's infantile, but I'd like a big thread count too. What's the secret?

https://soundcloud.com/doghouse-riley/tracks 
https://doghouseriley1.bandcamp.com 
Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.
Susan G
RE: Where are the forum moderators? 2008/02/17 16:51:51 (permalink)
Hi yorolpal-

Start with something as controversial as this:

Hello Cakewalk-

I hope the forum moderators will step up and do something. Please enforce your own rules about avatars and language, at least, since these forums are open to all.

Thanks-

-Susan

That should do it!

-Susan

robby
  • Total Posts : 5819
RE: Where are the forum moderators? 2008/02/17 17:11:03 (permalink)
Yes, I agree, I've just upgraded my avitar to a much more mature and appropriate image.

==================
It is better to travel well than to arrive.

www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby
jinga8
  • Total Posts : 5817
RE: Where are the forum moderators? 2008/02/17 17:13:38 (permalink)
Hi yorolpal-

Hello Cakewalk-

I hope the forum moderators will step up and do something. Please enforce your own rules about avatars and language, at least, since these forums are open to all.

Thanks-

-Susan

That should do it!

Yeah. Like I said, freaky. Susan, you rock in my book. I am not unprone to the occasional vulgarity when inspiration strikes - I seem to recall a certain "You can do it with an E-Mu" post you seemed to enjoy - but when I see the error of my ways (or, more commonly, when it is pointed out to me by another), I try to amend such casualties to the extent of which I have such power. No policing is needed when the internal policeman is on duty in each of us. Sometimes he seems to need a nap, and that's when we get 5 pages of...well...of this...
kneedragger25
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 127
RE: Where are the forum moderators? 2008/02/17 17:32:35 (permalink)
I agree and disagree with this post, I'm apart of other free forums and came across this topic on other forums. The best answers I seen people getting are the MODS usually dont get paid to stay logged in and hold peoples hands and put the bad seeds in time out, If you dont like what you are reading than change threads simple as that, If you dont like more than one thread or hell your not happy with all the topics and the replys in them then log-off and dont come back. Im not telling people to leave but this country has gotten so emotional "oh they said that on TV im offended they should be taken off the air" "oh did he just say that over the radio im going to complain". Im so sick and tired of watching what I say or type so I dont offend or piss anyone off, then we wonder why the U.S is going down hill everyone group,race,religion and creed have gotten more childish telling and complaining about everything, No one in this world will be happy if I post something I expect someone to be offended that is just how we have gotten in the last few years.
Im sure spelling and grammer errors are in my post but ohwell Im not the best speller.
FLAME ON

AMD Sempron 3800, 2.2GHz Speed , 1GB Ram, 160GB 720RPM Hard Drive, Ati radeon x1650 pro 512mb 120-bit , E-Mu 0404 PCI,M-Audio fast track 24-bit Line 6 pod XT, Windows XP
robby
RE: Where are the forum moderators? 2008/02/17 17:37:22 (permalink)
VERY offensive, bravo!

==================

Susan G
RE: Where are the forum moderators? 2008/02/17 17:40:15 (permalink)
Susan, you rock in my book.

And you in mine!

Thanks-

-Susan

stubbsy1960
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 21
RE: Where are the forum moderators? 2008/02/17 17:42:34 (permalink)

Hey, I'm new here so I don't know whats gone on earlier than last month, but I would say this place is 95% useful and helpful and I'd like to thank everybody who has helped me out with various Cakewalk and general recording issues. Thankyou.

Roger that flinger...1+

Peace and love

Garry Kiosk

S7PE 7.0.1 – AMD Sempron 3400+ 4Gb DDR2 RAM – Win XP Pro 32 bit – BFD2 - Edirol FA-66 – PCR-500 – Fender Guitars (3) / Bass (1) Yamaha APX-7 – Boss GT-8 - Dual TFT Monitors – Korg N364 - Pearl Drums– Shure and SE Electronics Mics
Susan G
RE: Where are the forum moderators? 2008/02/17 17:42:47 (permalink)
Hi Joel-

That has pretty much nothing to do with my original post, but thanks anyway.

-Susan

kneedragger25
RE: Where are the forum moderators? 2008/02/17 17:53:29 (permalink)
Susan I understand your First post and agree but this should have been between you and a MOD not in an open thread, threads like this stur alot of crap between people on both sides of the fence. For example I can say my computer is acting ****ed and not working. Then someone with a mental disorder(which I have) will come along a read the thread and may feel offended. 30 years ago that same person whould have taken no offense. MOST people dont mean to offend but they do. But as far as your point goes, Like I said the MODS do have jobs and cant spend all day on their computer. But you should have messaged a MOD One on One. and my first post was not ment to offend but to get my point across.

AMD Sempron 3800, 2.2GHz Speed , 1GB Ram, 160GB 720RPM Hard Drive, Ati radeon x1650 pro 512mb 120-bit , E-Mu 0404 PCI,M-Audio fast track 24-bit Line 6 pod XT, Windows XP
Susan G
RE: Where are the forum moderators? 2008/02/17 18:00:16 (permalink)
Hi Joel-

I think this was the right place to address the problem, but I appreciate your opinion.

Thanks-

-Susan

John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
RE: Where are the forum moderators? 2008/02/17 18:03:44 (permalink)
It was a long time ago on this forum and I was in a long thread dealing about who knows what when some of the posts got to be very heated. Some were using some words that were not useful shall we say. I made a point that everything we type into this forum is here forever. It may mean nothing to some, others may find that the notion their postings may come back and hunt them gave them pause. A fellow here said " I am sick and tired of having to watch what I say". If that is so then it sounds very undisciplined to me. Perhaps a little more work in that department is called for by all of us. Susan has done and said nothing wrong in this thread. Her view, all though not my own completely, is within the guidelines of this forum. If we take a different view that is perfectly fine too. What is not good should that we do not tolerate are personal attacks or bating each other. We are a strong family that can deal with most all views and still flourish. So long as those views are posted properly.

Best
John
Leonard
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 309
RE: Where are the forum moderators? 2008/02/17 19:06:30 (permalink)
Peace.

I sat on a hill and watched the people in the valley below. In one clearing warriors fought one another as if preparing for battle while in another clearing lovers wove their souls deeply one to the other. So rapt was each group of people unto themselves, nothing else existed for them. These two groups converged at two places. There was peaceful cohabitation for all in one village while in the other village all were filled with strife and conflict to some extent. Why there was conflict was easily discerned. Misery for all was the result of selfish behavior in a few people from both groups.
As for that place of peace.. Well, Imp that I am, I could not figure this out. I walked down to the place of peace to learn more..
---------------------
I read through this entire ridiculous thread and felt terribly guilty for having wasted a terrific amount of time. Imp, that I am, I couldn't just walk away without contributing something equally ridiculous. There, now we are even.. Peace

Sonar X 3 Pro, Sweetwater Creation Station 400 -i7 2600, Steinberg MR816x w/Focusrite Octopre mkII adat'ed in
SteveJL
Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4644
RE: Where are the forum moderators? 2008/02/17 19:23:54 (permalink)
I believe this thread is accomplishing EXACTLY what it was set out to. (and in that sense, it likely is violating the TOS on at least 2 counts). Oh well, my Blocked list has increased by one, not too high a price to pay.

robby
RE: Where are the forum moderators? 2008/02/17 19:27:28 (permalink)
:-) No one blocked here, "sticks and stones..."

==================

jimack
Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1814
RE: Where are the forum moderators? 2008/02/17 19:33:21 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: yorolpal

Well, you step away from your computer for a day and look what happens. I shouldn't quote jinga again but "freaky man". I also don't mean to hijack such a spirited, if misguided, debate but I would like to ask a question. Susan, how do you do it? Almost all your posts (at least the ones I remember) seem to generate enormous response counts. You and my ol pal, Space Cowboy and a few others should put out a virtual pamphlet for the rest of us. You know like the "Successful Strategies for Sellling on Ebay" kinda thing. I can't seem to ever get more than 20 or so responses to even my most controversial topics. Ever. Hey, I know, how about "Thread count not long enough? Feeling a bit inadequate in the response generation department there, Slick?" "Well try my new response post lengthener, Tiny, and find out what it's like to have the longest thread count on the block!" Honestly, I know it's infantile, but I'd like a big thread count too. What's the secret?

The secret is: Her screen name. It denotes her gender. There are people on this board that will respond to one of Susan's threads regardless of the subject or if they have anything of value to add to it. I've witnessed it.

yorolpal, change your screen name to "Laura M" or something like that and see what happens to your thread counts.

Is this sexist? Perhaps, but it's the truth. Please don't blame me though, because I'm not setting the trend here, merely making an observation.

-- Jim

Sonar 7 PE, P5 v2.5, 3.4Ghz P4, 2GB RAM, MAudio 2496PCI, Event TR6, PodXT, Yamaha S90, Hammond XK-C3, MAudio Axiom 61, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gretsch 5296, Fender Strat, Larrivee D03R, Martin D12-28, Martin D16-R, etc
Cromberger
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1057
RE: Where are the forum moderators? 2008/02/17 20:52:21 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Susan G

Hi yorolpal-

Hello Cakewalk-

Thanks-

-Susan

That should do it!

-Susan

Well, I've been reading/contributing to the Cake forums since the mid-1990's (under various user names) and in all of that time I can only remember a few times when I, personally, thought the administrators needed to step in to control a thread. The way I read the TOS, there is nothing that I've seen/read in this forum in the past couple of years that blatantly violates the TOS except for the people who use (gasp!) asterisks in place of the real letters in certain four-letter words (And how childish can one get? Does anyone think that the asterisks fool anyone as to the spelling of the words? Get real.). On the other hand, the TOS says that anything you might hear/see on network prime time TV is acceptable on this forum. Well, I've heard every major four-letter word on prime time TV, including the "F" word, and the "C" word. And many of the less "offensive" (according to whom, I don't know) words like "****", "ass", "dick", "suck", etc., have become standard fare on network TV, too. Please forgive me for actually spelling those words out in real letters. But, I'm within the TOS in doing so.

As far as avatars go, I've got them turned off for bandwidth reasons, so I haven't seen the "offensive" pictures. But, if they are, as some have said, the pictures off of the album cover of a well-known album that was distributed nationally some years ago, then I don't see how that can be considered offensive today. Anyone remember Zep's "Houses Of The Holy" cover? How about that famous Van Halen album cover with the nude infant? If the moderators of this forum found this sort of avatar offensive, they have the option (though *not* the requirement) to ban it. If they haven't seen fit to do so, perhaps they don't agree with those that think these images are "sexual" in nature, nor offensive.

Here's what the TOS says:

"Moderator Intervention
Cakewalk has the right, but not the obligation, to monitor and/or moderate the Cakewalk Forums. Cakewalk reserves the right to change any or all other parts of this User Agreement at its sole discretion and without notice, including but not limited to implementing Rules of Conduct, Terms of Service and/or other measures.

The Cakewalk Moderator’s goal is not to play Forum cop. They will make occasional changes and comments. We encourage you to send comments and suggestions using the report abuse tool in the main forum page.

By registering with the Cakewalk Forum, users agree that any post the moderators consider inappropriate may be removed at the moderator’s sole discretion. Use of the Cakewalk Forums is a privilege, not a right. Cakewalk also has the right, at its sole discretion, to revoke board privileges at any time without notice.

Questionable Content
These are public forums and we ask that you behave as you would if you were in a public place. These issues are left to the discretion of the moderator, but may include any material that is knowingly false or defamatory, misleading, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, that otherwise violates any law, or that encourages conduct constituting a criminal offense.

Racial, Sexual, and Religious Attacks
The Cakewalk forums are a large, diverse community. Please realize other posters are likely to hold different opinions than you. Since we embrace diversity and creativity, any attacks or hateful speech regarding race, religion, or sexual preference will not be tolerated, and repeat offenders will be banned.

Flaming, Bashing, and Trolling
Hate posts and personal attacks will not be tolerated on the Cakewalk forum. Treat other forum members as you would like to be treated. Unproductive trash talk will be met with criticism and possible disciplinary action including banishment. The same rules apply to trolling – or posting topics specifically to provoke a negative response.

Profanity
We encourage users of all age groups and beliefs, so please refrain from using offensive language.

What’s acceptable? If it’s a word you hear on primetime network TV, it’s probably acceptable.

Replacing a few letters with an asterisk or other symbols is not allowed.

Adult Content
We encourage users of all age groups and beliefs so please keep any images in the PG-13 category or they will be deleted, and the user warned."

The second paragraph quoted above seems to be the salient factor. The moderators are not going to play "forum cops". You are well within your rights to voice your concerns to them (and us), obviously, but if they don't agree with you on what constitutes a violation of the TOS, then I guess you'll have to accept that, especially since you seem so adamant about them enforcing the TOS. In my opinion, they are doing just exactly that by NOT getting involved in being forum cops, save for really blatant violations.

I am, personally, not in favor of having the moderators become the forum police. I've not seen (or percieved) the need for this in the past and I don't see it now. The argument about the forum being open to "all", meaning children it seems, is a bit much. How many kids are using/reading about Sonar? And, how many of these supposed kids have not heard and *used* these four-letter words that seem to freak some people out? Ever heard grammar school kids at play? It might surprise you.

Personally, I don't post with four letter words, "vulgar" pictures or the like and, in a perfect world, other's wouldn't either. But, this is a world-wide forum and a darned good one, too. Not everyone thinks alike, and the posts reflect this. I don't feel we need the forum cops to regulate us. If someone offends you, *block* them. Don't like the pictures in the avatars? Turn 'em off. But, please don't put your view of the world on *me* and try to sell the idea that you only want the moderators to enforce their own TOS. As far as I'm seeing, they are doing that quite well already. Obviously, this is *my* personal opinion and yours is different than mine. This is not a personal attack on you and should not be taken as such. I'm voicing my own personal view's in response to your original post. Peace.

Bill

Sonar Platinum
Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
Studio Cat DAW
Intel I-950 Processor
6 Gigs RAM
M-Audio Fast Track Ultra 8R Audio Interface
Mackie HR824 Monitors
John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
RE: Where are the forum moderators? 2008/02/17 21:19:50 (permalink)
Lots of food for thought there Bill.

Best
John
robby
RE: Where are the forum moderators? 2008/02/17 21:44:28 (permalink)
Bill, I have some pictures I can send you if you'd like? We'll have to be discrete...

==================

DW_Mike
Max Output Level: -6 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6907
RE: Where are the forum moderators? 2008/02/17 22:51:34 (permalink)
Bill, I wish there was a smiley that offered applause. Nicely put.

Mike

Sonar X3 ~ Scarlett 18i6 ~ Home Build DAW  
GA-Z77X-UD5H
Intel i7 3770k 4.2GHz
32GB RAM Crucial Ballistix Elite (4x8) 
2x Samsung 250GB SSD 
1TB WD Black HDD @ 7200RPM 6Gb/s 64MB 
Corsair H80i Liquid cooler 
Noctua Silent Fans ~ 3x120mm ~ 1x140mm 
Seasonic Platinum 760w PSU 
Windows 7 Pro 64Bit.
kneedragger25
RE: Where are the forum moderators? 2008/02/17 23:19:13 (permalink)
I think bill hit the nail on the coffin. I'm sure a mod has seen and read this thread but see no offense to the said posts or avatas.

robby
RE: Where are the forum moderators? 2008/02/17 23:23:42 (permalink)
I think this thread exemplifies where they got the name for their MP3 encoder... "LAME"

==================

Jose7822
  • Total Posts : 10031
RE: Where are the forum moderators? 2008/02/17 23:32:00 (permalink)
I agree with you Bill. I would truely hate it if this forum became anything like the Cubase one (at least from what I've heard). We just need to get along and learn to ignore the things that we find offensive, as long as no damage is being done. We need more "I love Sonar" threads in here.

Take care all!
downsouthstudio
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1122
RE: Where are the forum moderators? 2008/02/18 03:03:28 (permalink)
post edited by downsouthstudio - 2008/02/18 03:35:23

SONAR X1b Producer, one monitor
RME-FF800
Intel Quadproc, 12 gig mem
 2-UAD-1s,UAD-2
Mojave MA-200,4033,57s,58s)
JBL LSR4326P's,
Transport controller 
Axiom 65 keyboard 
LA-610mkII pre/comp
Roland elect drums
Guitar wall

MY STUFF

Saintom
Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1749
RE: Where are the forum moderators? 2008/02/18 03:08:28 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: downsouthstudio

Let us pray....

Probably not a good Idea to bring religion into the conversation.

Sometimes we see the light, Sometimes we stare at the light, and wonder why it is so bright...
Stringrazor1
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 579
RE: Where are the forum moderators? 2008/02/18 03:28:49 (permalink)
5 pages and counting. Not one speck of useful info to someone trying to solve a Sonar problem or learn techniques for using the s/w. These OT epics are like spam and clog up the databse helping to obscure useful information and slow down searches. No one wants to see "iron hand" moderation but good moderation (besides making this thread unnecessary) would have stopped this pointless meta discussion long ago. What has happened since the CH was shtudown is that a lot of people here still like the community and being able to talk OT. Fine. Bring back the CH and moderate well to ward off flamers and trolls and move these OT sagas there to continue. This thread shoud be much more focused on Sonar issues.

But I know it's never gonna happen...
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 7
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1