Helpful Replymessage from Greg Ondo of Steinberg

Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 11 of 17
Author
MagicMike
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 188
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/27 14:10:57 (permalink)
Greg Ondo
cityrat
Can we get an idea of how long the offer will be? 
Would really like to try a demo and don't want to "miss" the deal if I like it.
Where can I get a demo version (have a eLicencer)?

I believe the offer will be through the end of the year and look for a trial version in the coming days.

All the best,

Greg

Thanks Greg, that's good to know as I'm not ready at this stage to move over to Cubase. 

Windows 10 x64, 16 gb RAM,i7 4.2GHz, 250GB Samsung SSD for OS/Programs, SSD for current projects,  1TB Disk for audio and backup project files, RME UCX interface on USB, ASUS motherboard, dual screen setup with latest AMD FX 5450 catalyst drivers for graphics, Cakewalk by Bandlab. Samson Graphite 49 keyboard.
jerrydf
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 280
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/27 14:19:35 (permalink)
Greg - I've ordered my crossgrade from the Steinberg site, so it will be a box delivered in the post.  I'm assuming this includes the USB-key?
Also - I have an e-Licenser ID from previous products.  Does the USB-licenser process require some sort of correlation with the e-Licenser account?

Thanks
Jerry 

i5 6500 3.2GHz; 16GB; Win10 on SSD1; recording and samples on SSD2;  + 3 other HDDs; 2 monitors in landscape;  back with CbB and also Cubase 10 Pro,  Komplete 11, Steinberg UR22.
Instruments: Various fretboards and amplifiers.
Listen to ... Cosmic Two-Step (2017)
Greg Ondo
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 30
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/27 15:41:24 (permalink)
kson
Greg Ondo
tonydude
My gut reaction is Cubase, partly because it is so well established and part of Yamaha.

However lack of ARA support is a deal breaker. I could not have finished my recent album without it.

Does Cubase 9.5 support ARA and if not, will it definitely be in the next version?
Is it possible to use 32bit and 64bit plugin's in the same instance of Cubase? 

~ Tony

Cubase does offer ARA support but has a lot of functionality built in such as the VAri Audio editor for pitch correction.

Cubase natively only supports 64 bit plug-ins but with a 3rd party bridging solution like j-bridge people can run 32 bit plug-ins as well.

All the best,

Greg

Greg,

I currently have Cubase Pro 9.5.  Please show me ARA support for Melodyne and Vocalign, etc.  I have yet to see it work.

Best,

Reginald

I apologize for the confusion I created.  Cubase dores not offer ARA support.  It was a typo on my part.

All the best,

greg
Greg Ondo
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/27 15:44:16 (permalink)
DeeringAmps
Q1) Is it safe to assume that a project started in Elements will open in Pro?
Q2) Cubase has abandoned x86 altogether?
(My office rig remains x86, but if there is an x86 version of Elements...)

T

A project started in Cubase Elements canbe opened in Cubase Pro.

The licenses are backwards compatible so you can run a version 7 or 8 which have 32 bit support with your 9.5 license in addition to your 9.5 license.

All the best,

Greg
Greg Ondo
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/27 15:46:20 (permalink)
Edu Camargo
Just visiting this forum to checc the latest info about the future of  Cakewalk and its products...

Thanks Greg for your message. I don't know what the future holds for me at this point, but until Cubase developers (or Steinberg developers in general) hop into native accessibility for blind users as Sonar did since the X1 encarnation, unfortunately I won't go for Cubase.

Yes, I'm doing fine with HaLion 6 and HaLion Sonic interfaces thanks to the Windows 10 OCR feature, but having Cubase to use UI Automation allowing screen readers such as NVDA or MS Narrator to provide us feedback on accessing the software features would give us a better workflow... Unfortunately, Cubase can't be an option for blind musicians at this stage.

Again, thanks.

We have many blind users running Cubase/Nuendo.  Greg Lukens of Washington Professional Systems and Stevie Wonder as well.

All the best,

Greg
Greg Ondo
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/27 15:48:41 (permalink)
35mm
I'm thinking of dropping my wodge on Cubase. I'm thinking it's better the devil I once knew (a very long time ago). But if there is no demo or if I need to buy an e-licenser just to try it, then that makes it very hard without some kind of money back guarantee. I at least want to test that it works with my hardware.

This is frustrating. I could get a mega deal on Studio One right now, download it and get to work. Or wait for a demo, and miss the deal on Cubase. Or buy Cubase, wait ages for it to arrive just to discover that it doesn't play well with my gear.

No replies from The Steinberg rep really doesn't help either!

We should have a trial version available in a couple of days.  What hardware do you specifically have questions about for compatibility?

All the best,

Greg
Greg Ondo
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/27 15:54:50 (permalink)
cparmerlee
Saxon1066
How many tracks can you use, if I may ask?  Is there universal bussing, like in Sonar?

I don't know.  I have not found a specific reference.  From what I can tell, the pro version has unlimited tracks, but the other versions limit tracks.

I think all versions have exactly 8 insert slots per track, but there is also a "channel strip" that has Steinberg's limiter, compressor, maximizer, etc, so 8 other inserts may not be a problem.

I have not seen anything that indicates how many sends can be created, but I wouldn't be surprised to see hard limits on that.

Another strange thing is that of the 8 inserts, only the last one is post-fade.  I don't think you can set the insert point for each insert.  And I don't think you can control the signal flow sequence of the inserts, and the channel strip.  I think all of the inserts come before the channel strip, or maybe it is vice versa.

It looks like a first generation digital mixer board to me.  In practice, that may be fine.  It just doesn't seem nearly as elegant as SONAR.

In Cubase Pro 9.5 there are 16 inserts per channel freely configurable for pre and post fader use.  There are 8 aux sends that can be used simultaneously per channel with more available destinations as FX channels.  There is also built in channel EQ and channel strip which do not affect these numbers.    You can switch the order of the signal flow for the channel strips and inserts.  If you need more inserts or sends you can send the track to a group where the same number of additional inserts and sends are available.  There is also direct offline processing allowing a flexible manner to process effects and processes.

All the best,

Greg
Greg Ondo
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/27 15:59:40 (permalink)
35mm
I have heard people saying that the crossgrade they got from Sweetwater is not a full package. The plugins are demo versions. So that maybe something to watch out for.

The crossgrade is for the full version and plug-in set.

All the best,

Greg
Greg Ondo
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/27 16:01:53 (permalink)
dede
Hey Greg,
Does Cubase accept a Codemeter USB dongle  (the one I purchased for Samplitude a while ago)?
Thansk
dd

I don't think that it is an elicenser dongle so I am inclined to say no.

All the best,

Greg
Jean
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 61
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/27 16:10:33 (permalink)
I bought the boxed crossgrade Cubase Pro 9.5 from the Steinberg shop assuming that I would have an immediate download link and elicenser activation code (I already have an elicenser dongle for Wavelab) However, when I try to download Cubase following the link in the confirmation email, there are no files and the message ‘No downloads available’ is there.
Anyone having the same experience? (I’m in the UK)
(I contacted Cubase support on Friday but have heard nothing back)
35mm
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1105
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/27 17:59:19 (permalink)
Jean
I bought the boxed crossgrade Cubase Pro 9.5 from the Steinberg shop assuming that I would have an immediate download link and elicenser activation code (I already have an elicenser dongle for Wavelab) However, when I try to download Cubase following the link in the confirmation email, there are no files and the message ‘No downloads available’ is there.
Anyone having the same experience? (I’m in the UK)
(I contacted Cubase support on Friday but have heard nothing back)

It only has an option in the online store for a boxed version. I think they get sent from UK so you should get it soon. I'm in the UK too. Haven't purchased Cubase yet so let me know how it goes. My concern is how long it may take to arrive if maybe it gets sent from Germany.

Splat, Win 10 64bit and all sorts of musical odds and sods collected over the years, but still missing a lot of my old analogue stuff I sold off years ago.
Glyn Barnes
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7564
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/27 18:03:18 (permalink)
Check the crossgrade price at Thomann for EU purchases, see the thread in the deals forum.

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud
35mm
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/27 18:11:00 (permalink)
Greg Ondo
35mm
I'm thinking of dropping my wodge on Cubase. I'm thinking it's better the devil I once knew (a very long time ago). But if there is no demo or if I need to buy an e-licenser just to try it, then that makes it very hard without some kind of money back guarantee. I at least want to test that it works with my hardware.

This is frustrating. I could get a mega deal on Studio One right now, download it and get to work. Or wait for a demo, and miss the deal on Cubase. Or buy Cubase, wait ages for it to arrive just to discover that it doesn't play well with my gear.

No replies from The Steinberg rep really doesn't help either!

We should have a trial version available in a couple of days.  What hardware do you specifically have questions about for compatibility?

All the best,

Greg

Thanks Greg. Does the trial version require a dongle? I don't have one and would be getting one with the purchase of Cubase from Steinberg's online store (I gather it's included?). So if it requires a dongle to try the demo, then I'm stuck. Do they offer a money back guarantee/cooling off period?

The main hardware I am worried about for compatibility is my M-audio Projectmix i/o. It is pretty old now but works well with Sonar when it's in Sonar mode, partially works with Studio One when in Cubase mode, but really hoping it may work fully with Cubase when it's in Cubase mode! Have the controller API functions changed much over the years? Or do you know other users who are still successfully using the Projectmix with Cubase?

Splat, Win 10 64bit and all sorts of musical odds and sods collected over the years, but still missing a lot of my old analogue stuff I sold off years ago.
35mm
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/27 18:26:58 (permalink)
Glyn Barnes
Check the crossgrade price at Thomann for EU purchases, see the thread in the deals forum.

Just checked that, thanks. It's only very slightly less than on the Steinberg store when converted to GBP £246.24 and it says "£ price – guideline price only". Price on Steinberg store is £248. Both offer free shipping, but a Steinberg rep told me that he thinks the store sends it from the UK. Thomann would send it from Germany I think. It could prove to be a lot less hassle just ordering direct from Steinberg unless there is a mega bargain to be had elsewhere. Could save a bit from Sweetwater $255 for download version without a dongle. Not sure if they accept us UK customers there - apparently someone from Canada got turned away. Again by the time you add the dongle and consider that nice, shiny box you get buying direct, it's still not a massive saving.

michael diemer
  • Total Posts : 1128
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/27 18:37:45 (permalink)
Any chance that owners of earlier Sonar Producer editions, such as 8.5, will qualify for the crossgrade?

michael diemer
Intel Quad Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge
32 GB ram
1TB Western Digital Black X2
Microsoft Windows 7 Pro 64
UR22 interface
Bandlab Cakewalk/Sonar 8.5 Studio
GPO-EWQLSO Gold-Vienna SP ED-Cinematic Strings 2

35mm
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/27 18:37:53 (permalink)
Buying options so far;
  • Sweetwater (US) $255 (download only - e-licenser not included)
  • Thomann (EU/Germany) €275 (Boxed - includes e-licenser)
  • Steinberg (EU/Germany) £248 (Boxed - includes e-licenser)
Steinberg e-licenser on its own Gear4Music (UK) £16 + postage

Had a quick look and everywhere else in UK it's about £279.

Glyn Barnes
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/27 18:50:06 (permalink)
When I looked at the Steinberg site earlier I am sure it said £300, I will check later, direct is probably the most straightforward way.

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
Shambler
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 783
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/27 18:58:17 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby LMG 2017/11/27 23:29:15
I tried ordering from Sweetwater but my order was declined because they said the program is geo-tagged and won't activate in the UK.

Looks like it's Thoman or direct from Steinberg if you are in the UK.

SONAR Platypus on Win10 64bit.
Studio One Pro / Cubase Pro 9.5...just in case.
8GB i7-2600 3.4GHz Gigabyte  Z68XP-UD3P
Geforce GTX970
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 2nd Gen
Prophet 12/Rev 2/Virus Snow
Zebra2/DIVA/NI Komplete 10
jerrydf
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 280
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/27 19:21:39 (permalink)
35mm
Buying options so far;
[snip]
  • Steinberg (EU/Germany) £248 (Boxed - includes e-licenser)

Thanks for verifying that, 35mm.  I thought it indicated that on the Steinberg site.
I was also wondering how a previous account on a Steinberg e-Licenser (i.e. the online not-USB version) affected authorising the USB-licenser. 
)actually I've already ordered it, anyway)

jdf

i5 6500 3.2GHz; 16GB; Win10 on SSD1; recording and samples on SSD2;  + 3 other HDDs; 2 monitors in landscape;  back with CbB and also Cubase 10 Pro,  Komplete 11, Steinberg UR22.
Instruments: Various fretboards and amplifiers.
Listen to ... Cosmic Two-Step (2017)
Glyn Barnes
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/27 19:50:59 (permalink)
Well I just started the order process from Stienberg UK, now I am waiting for confirmation of eligibility. I may have gone for the Artist version but the Pro cross-grade is cheaper.

I can see a big learning curve ahead but as I am mostly MIDI / VSTi Cubase seems the logical choice, I am looking forward to some of the MIDI functions like the chord track that I had hoped would be added to Sonar at some stage.

mudgel
  • Total Posts : 12010
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/27 20:00:16 (permalink)
I wonder what the situation is in Australia?

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
riojazz
Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1337
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/27 20:22:48 (permalink)
Greg, thank you for the offer and especially for answering questions here. 

My question involved music notation, what we call Staff View in SONAR. 

You have a page that says the Artist and Elements use "Basic" notation, whereas the Pro version uses "Professional" notation.  I have been unable to locate any further info that explains the distinction.  Is there a link?

The comparison page I refer to is here:  https://www.steinberg.net...cubase/comparison.html

Software: Cakewalk by Bandlab; Adobe Audition; Band-in-A-Box audiophile; Izotope Ozone; Encore; Melodyne; Win 10 Pro, 64-bit.

Hardware: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 2nd; Roland Integra-7; TCE Finalizer; Presonus Central Station, Behringer X-Touch.  Home built i7 with 16 GB RAM, SSDs.
cyberzip
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 613
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/27 20:45:43 (permalink)
JClosed
1. MIDI editing in Cubase is one of the main reasons I "jumped ship" earlier this year. It's really good, but you have to learn some new things and adapt to another work-flow. That said, it was easy for me to make the jump from Sonar. With the new Cubase 9.5 you can even pick up a MIDI clip and drop it into an sampler track, to create a audio loop that can be edited like any audio clip.

2. I do not use loops very often, but I recall you can indeed audition/preview the loops in time with the project.

3. For me the performance is good. Comparable with Sonar. And the program is rock-stable on my computer. But, like it's often the case, it all depends on good and stable hardware of course.

Hope this helps.

@Closed - Thanks a lot for taking your time to answer my questions! Great to hear that performance and stability is good and that MIDI editing is great! And indeed, the Cubase Sampler track looks very interesting and useful. :)

I'm very curious to try the demo once it's out!
Joe_A
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 458
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/27 20:56:13 (permalink)
riojazz

You have a page that says the Artist and Elements use "Basic" notation, whereas the Pro version uses "Professional" notation.  I have been unable to locate any further info that explains the distinction.  Is there a link?

The comparison page I refer to is here:  https://www.steinberg.net...cubase/comparison.html

Good question.
Btw I'm not hitting my goal of getting new DAW and getting on with things......
I guess I'll be waiting to see more misc questions answered and what cross grade pricing specials may arise.
😊 stuck being pragmatic I suppose.

jambrose@cfl.rr.com  Sonar Plat. Lifetime. Started in Sonar 4, each through 8.5.3PE.
Scarlett 18i202nd gen., Edirol FA-101, M-Audio Firewire 410, AMD Phenom II 1045T six core processor, 8GB DDR3, AMD Radeon HD 6450, dual displays, 1.5 TB SATA HD, USB 2, Firewire 1394A, 1394B, 18/22 mixer, EV Q-66, Yamaha HS50M monitors, few guitars, Fender Cybertwin SE, Fender Cyber foot controller, Boss RC20-XL, misc pedals, etc. Win Home Prem 64 bit.
LMG
  • Total Posts : 21
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/27 23:15:44 (permalink)
Greg Ondo
My name is Greg Ondo and I have represented Steinberg products for over 25 years in the United States.  

Dear Greg, is there any way that non-US and non-European customers can access the special competitive cross grade (download) for Sonar users? I've just placed an order through Sweetwater and they had to cancel it, saying they were not allowed to sell Cubase outside the US. Same thing happened to a Canadian customer. Thanks!
LMG
  • Total Posts : 21
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/27 23:30:28 (permalink)
Shambler
I tried ordering from Sweetwater but my order was declined because they said the program is geo-tagged and won't activate in the UK.

Looks like it's Thoman or direct from Steinberg if you are in the UK.

Same experience with Sweetwater. At least you have the the option to order from Europe. No chance for us who live outside EU or US.
soens
Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5154
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/27 23:44:36 (permalink)
Is there a USA box set with elicenser crossgrade? All I've seen is the download version requiring a separate elicenser sale.
entrelac
  • Total Posts : 13
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/28 00:18:17 (permalink)
Well, I bit the bullet and got the crossgrade. I'd been considering getting Cubase last year but found it too expensive and instead upgraded to Sonar Platinum from 8.5 because Cakewalk gave a great upgrade discount at the time. This is significantly less expensive than it was when I was shopping around before, so I'm happy about it. It works fine on my computer. I ordered the crossgrade from Sweetwater and picked up an elicenser from the local Guitar Center, and within a few hours of my order I was up and running.

There's obviously a ton to learn about how Cubase works. Basic recording is just different enough from the Sonar workflow that I found myself very frustrated last night when just trying to record and listen back to a vocal track (and frankly that was super easy to do in my quick demo of Studio One, so if your highest priority is to get a DAW that's immediately intuitive to work with and you don't want to mess around with a bunch of settings, I'd probably recommend Studio One).

But I'm excited about all the features that come with Cubase. I don't consider it bloat just because it's complex. 
michael diemer
  • Total Posts : 1128
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/28 01:05:38 (permalink)
Joe_A
riojazz

Good question.
Btw I'm not hitting my goal of getting new DAW and getting on with things......
I guess I'll be waiting to see more misc questions answered and what cross grade pricing specials may arise.
😊 stuck being pragmatic I suppose.

If you look through the cubase manual youll see that pro is indeed far more advanced. with artist, you can only have 4 bars in the view without scrolling. with pro, you can have more. it is closer to real notation than any other daws notation.

michael diemer
Intel Quad Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge
32 GB ram
1TB Western Digital Black X2
Microsoft Windows 7 Pro 64
UR22 interface
Bandlab Cakewalk/Sonar 8.5 Studio
GPO-EWQLSO Gold-Vienna SP ED-Cinematic Strings 2

lawajava
Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2040
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/28 01:14:25 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Fleer 2017/11/28 03:05:30
I've had Cubase 9.5 now for only several days. It's really good. I hadn't planned on moving out of Sonar. It's been a steady set of welcome surprises to see how Cubase works. I like it. Various things have turned out to be improvements to the Sonar workflow. I had Sonar figured out really well, and with the help of available tutorials (there are a lot) on YouTube and Groove3 it's possible to come up to speed fairly quickly. Sometimes change is good - even if you did not plan for it.

Two internal 2TB SSDs laptop stuffed with Larry's deals and awesome tools. Studio One is the cat's meow as a DAW now that I've migrated off of Sonar. Using BandLab Cakewalk just to grab old files when migrating songs.
Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 11 of 17
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1