Helpful Replymessage from Greg Ondo of Steinberg

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 10 of 17
Author
cparmerlee
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1153
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/27 01:29:08 (permalink)
cityrat
The big negative for me seems to be the Steinberg forums.  Not a really warm, welcoming place compared to here.

The user forum seems to reflect the arrogance that the company broadcasts.

Speaking of arrogance, it does see that the sales rep from Steinberg did a drive-by dump on this forum and then left.  If he doesn't know the answers to the very straightforward questions asked here, I would have thought at minimum he would acknowledge that and indicate when he would get back with answers.  But let's not judge him too harshly.  It can't be easy working with the corporate people at Steinberg.

The crossgrade price was hardly any discount at all, so I am going to wait on this.  I think I can accomplish everything I need with the StudioOne license I already have.  If I eventually decide I can't survive without the blessings of Steinberg, well, I'll pay the extra $30 for the regular price crossgrade.

DAW: SONAR Platinum Audio I/F: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 gen2
OS: Windows 10 64-bit CPU: Haswell 4790 4.0 GHz, 4 core, 8 thread  Memory: 16 GB      Video: GTX-760Ti
Storage: Sandisk SSD 500GB for active projects. ReadyNAS 20 TB for long-term storage

sonocrafters.com
Hangdog Cat
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 146
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/27 01:40:04 (permalink)
The discount was $70, not $30, off the regular crossgrade price.

Never do more in the morning than you can undo in the afternoon.

Computer: Creation Station CS450 V3 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1275 v3 @ 3.50GHz, 4 Cores, 8 Logical Processors
Windows 10: Latest update
Audio Interface: RME Fireface UFX
entrelac
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/27 01:58:35 (permalink)
He did say there will be an interactive Google hangout on the Cubase YouTube channel on the 28th at noon EST. Presumably they'll answer a lot of questions then.
35mm
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1105
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/27 02:00:41 (permalink)
I'm thinking of dropping my wodge on Cubase. I'm thinking it's better the devil I once knew (a very long time ago). But if there is no demo or if I need to buy an e-licenser just to try it, then that makes it very hard without some kind of money back guarantee. I at least want to test that it works with my hardware.

This is frustrating. I could get a mega deal on Studio One right now, download it and get to work. Or wait for a demo, and miss the deal on Cubase. Or buy Cubase, wait ages for it to arrive just to discover that it doesn't play well with my gear.

No replies from The Steinberg rep really doesn't help either!

Splat, Win 10 64bit and all sorts of musical odds and sods collected over the years, but still missing a lot of my old analogue stuff I sold off years ago.
Ken Matson
  • Total Posts : 35
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/27 02:12:23 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby TerraSin 2017/11/27 03:51:37
Everybody does realize it's a holiday weekend right?
cparmerlee
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/27 02:20:46 (permalink)
Hangdog Cat
The discount was $70, not $30, off the regular crossgrade price.

There is some confusion about the dongle.  Some people say it is bundled with the normal boxed crossgrade.  If so, then it seems the net difference is about $30.

If $30 or $70 really makes a difference, then the customer is probably looking at the wrong end of the product spectrum.

OS: Windows 10 64-bit CPU: Haswell 4790 4.0 GHz, 4 core, 8 thread  Memory: 16 GB      Video: GTX-760Ti
Storage: Sandisk SSD 500GB for active projects. ReadyNAS 20 TB for long-term storage

sonocrafters.com
Edu Camargo
  • Total Posts : 13
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/27 02:31:03 (permalink)
Just visiting this forum to checc the latest info about the future of  Cakewalk and its products...

Thanks Greg for your message. I don't know what the future holds for me at this point, but until Cubase developers (or Steinberg developers in general) hop into native accessibility for blind users as Sonar did since the X1 encarnation, unfortunately I won't go for Cubase.

Yes, I'm doing fine with HaLion 6 and HaLion Sonic interfaces thanks to the Windows 10 OCR feature, but having Cubase to use UI Automation allowing screen readers such as NVDA or MS Narrator to provide us feedback on accessing the software features would give us a better workflow... Unfortunately, Cubase can't be an option for blind musicians at this stage.

Again, thanks.

“In the end, the four prophets were three: Moses and Elias...”
Saxon1066
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 619
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/27 03:43:19 (permalink)
cparmerlee
chuckebaby
If its for "Sonar only" users than im very grateful.

Looking at the Sweetwater site, this appears to be a general crossgrade offer from ANY qualifying product, nothing special for SONAR.

It seems that in some respects Cubase is lagging far behind what we were accustomed to with SONAR.  Is it true they are not supporting the Melodyne regions with ARA integration?  If 9.5 is only just out, then it seems we'd be looking at 2019 before getting that feature.  It is in StudioOne Already.

There are some aspects of Cubase that look interesting, but frankly I am put off by what seems like quite a limited architecture, where they only support a certain number of tracks and only a certain number of effects per track and so on.  It is hard to see that as a top tier product with such limitations.

What?  Only a certain number of tracks in Cubase?  Limited fx per track?  Whoa.  That's a dealbreaker for me, since I usually do many takes of any guitar part, then comp. them later.

How many tracks can you use, if I may ask?  Is there universal bussing, like in Sonar?
cparmerlee
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/27 03:53:12 (permalink)
Saxon1066
How many tracks can you use, if I may ask?  Is there universal bussing, like in Sonar?

I don't know.  I have not found a specific reference.  From what I can tell, the pro version has unlimited tracks, but the other versions limit tracks.

I think all versions have exactly 8 insert slots per track, but there is also a "channel strip" that has Steinberg's limiter, compressor, maximizer, etc, so 8 other inserts may not be a problem.

I have not seen anything that indicates how many sends can be created, but I wouldn't be surprised to see hard limits on that.

Another strange thing is that of the 8 inserts, only the last one is post-fade.  I don't think you can set the insert point for each insert.  And I don't think you can control the signal flow sequence of the inserts, and the channel strip.  I think all of the inserts come before the channel strip, or maybe it is vice versa.

It looks like a first generation digital mixer board to me.  In practice, that may be fine.  It just doesn't seem nearly as elegant as SONAR.

sonocrafters.com
35mm
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1105
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/27 04:15:23 (permalink)
Cubase Pro has 16 insert effect slots per channel which are more than enough. Any of those can be pre or post. Take a look at the website if you really want to know about it. https://www.steinberg.net/en/products/cubase/cubase_pro.html

Splat, Win 10 64bit and all sorts of musical odds and sods collected over the years, but still missing a lot of my old analogue stuff I sold off years ago.
denverdrummer
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 278
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/27 06:13:02 (permalink)
Saxon1066
cparmerlee
chuckebaby
If its for "Sonar only" users than im very grateful.

Looking at the Sweetwater site, this appears to be a general crossgrade offer from ANY qualifying product, nothing special for SONAR.

It seems that in some respects Cubase is lagging far behind what we were accustomed to with SONAR.  Is it true they are not supporting the Melodyne regions with ARA integration?  If 9.5 is only just out, then it seems we'd be looking at 2019 before getting that feature.  It is in StudioOne Already.

There are some aspects of Cubase that look interesting, but frankly I am put off by what seems like quite a limited architecture, where they only support a certain number of tracks and only a certain number of effects per track and so on.  It is hard to see that as a top tier product with such limitations.

What?  Only a certain number of tracks in Cubase?  Limited fx per track?  Whoa.  That's a dealbreaker for me, since I usually do many takes of any guitar part, then comp. them later.

I don't think there are any limitation in the pro version, but the take lanes don't count as additional tracks, so you can have as many take lanes as your CPU can handle.  (Not sure Cubase calls them take lanes, but it's basically the same thing we had in Sonar).

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Dell Inspiron 15, core i7, 16GB RAM, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mackie MR5 Mark 1 speakers
nebukenazar
  • Total Posts : 46
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/27 06:33:54 (permalink)
I could choose Cubase. But Lots of things sonar offers keep from me for buying Cubase. Instead i bought Cakewalk Sonar Platinum Lifetime pass. I am very sad now.

Cakewalk Sonar Platinum on windows 10 pro x64
Cakewalk VS - 100 v1.5
Yamaha HS80M
Roland Fantom G8
Samson C03
Roland Lucina AX09
Medelli 518dx
Mad_Musicologist
  • Total Posts : 118
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/27 06:51:50 (permalink)
The eagle goes, the vultures come.
Everyone tries to pull Cakewalk users to their product. 
This again shows the shamelessness of the business world.
But most shameless is Gibsons decision to kill Cakewalk.
BrianSzep
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 363
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/27 06:58:35 (permalink)
kson
Greg Ondo
tonydude
My gut reaction is Cubase, partly because it is so well established and part of Yamaha.

However lack of ARA support is a deal breaker. I could not have finished my recent album without it.

Does Cubase 9.5 support ARA and if not, will it definitely be in the next version?
Is it possible to use 32bit and 64bit plugin's in the same instance of Cubase? 

~ Tony

Cubase does offer ARA support but has a lot of functionality built in such as the VAri Audio editor for pitch correction.

Cubase natively only supports 64 bit plug-ins but with a 3rd party bridging solution like j-bridge people can run 32 bit plug-ins as well.

All the best,

Greg

Greg,

I currently have Cubase Pro 9.5.  Please show me ARA support for Melodyne and Vocalign, etc.  I have yet to see it work.

Best,

Reginald

Check this post on Celemony's website: http://helpcenter.celemony.com/hc2-content/filtermelodynestudio4/en/m4tour_daw_cubase.html

Brian

System:
i7-4770K CPU | 32 GB Ram | GTX 780 Ti 3GB | (2) PB278 27" Monitors | SSD 250GB - OS Drive | Hard Drives
Software:
Win 10 Pro x64 | Sonar Platinum | Sound Forge 11 | Waves Diamond | Hollywood Orchestra - Diamond | EWQLSO - Gold | Storm Drum 2 Pro | Kontakt 5 | Evolve Mutations 1 & 2 | Funk Guitarist | Session Horns Pro | Razor | Skanner | Retro Mach MK2 | Vapor | EZD2 & EZK | AD2 & AK | Sytrus | Z3ta 2 | Rapture | Dimension Pro | AAS VA-2, VS-2, GS-2 | Hive
www.joeythomasbigband.com
www.circuitryfilms.com

noynekker
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1235
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/27 07:07:52 (permalink)
Mad_Musicologist
The eagle goes, the vultures come.
Everyone tries to pull Cakewalk users to their product. 
This again shows the shamelessness of the business world.
But most shameless is Gibsons decision to kill Cakewalk.

I think there's a song somewhere in your poem here . . . I echo your sentiments

Everybody's got something to sell you
The corporation has nothing to tell you
The eagle goes, the vultures come
And all your dreams are one the run

There is no right to all the wrongs
. . . maybe we should just collaborate, and write some songs ?

Cakewalk by Bandlab, Cubase, RME Babyface Pro, Intel i7 3770K @3.5Ghz, Asus P8Z77-VPro/Thunderbolt, 32GB DDR3 RAM, GeForce GTX 660 Ti, 250 GB OS SSD, 2TB HDD samples, Win 10 Pro 64 bit, backed up by Macrium Reflect, Novation Impulse 61 Midi Key Controller, Tannoy Active Near Field Monitors, Guitars by Vantage, Gibson, Yamaki and Ovation.

GjB
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 197
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/27 07:40:59 (permalink)
I don't think it's shameless at all to try to get more business. It's common sense, and this is the ideal opportunity for competing companies and business people to do so.
If you don't, someone else will, and then you end up like CW.

This is not some woman trying to quickly replace some poor guy's wife, this is survival in the business world.
It's all about the numbers. I'm not a businessman, but I understand these basics.

Also (for some users here), I don't believe in bashing people, like a bunch of spoilt brats. Most people involved in daily life, have families and loved ones, and they try to do the best by them. Yes, some people make cut-throat business decisions and they probably have to, but most people are not those people.

The Computer Mouse (web)
Cakewalk by BandLab, Windows 10 Pro (64-bit), Focusrite 2i4 (Gen 1), i7-3770K, NH-D14, 32 Gigs, GTX 970, SSDs and HD, Sony MDR-7506, M-Audio Code 61. Easy-install guide
Saxon1066
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/27 07:48:49 (permalink)
denverdrummer

I don't think there are any limitation in the pro version, but the take lanes don't count as additional tracks, so you can have as many take lanes as your CPU can handle.  (Not sure Cubase calls them take lanes, but it's basically the same thing we had in Sonar).

Hey, Denver.  Are the Cubase take lanes more functional than the ones in Sonar?  I got pretty annoyed with Sonar's buggy take lanes (loved track layers) and started just using tracks in track folders instead.
djwayne
Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2021
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/27 07:52:13 (permalink)
Well Gibson says they don't want our business anymore....so be it. I have no problem with looking at alternatives. I've decided to go with Cubase Elements 9 for my midi needs, and Mixcraft 8 for my audio and loop needs. This will give me lot's of options for creating music and writing songs. It's new, it's different, it's exciting. I need to get away from Gibson's negativity and work with positive programs and people. I welcome the change. 
Saxon1066
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/27 07:52:32 (permalink)
Well, I'm definitely going to switch to something; it's a good time, since I'm going with a new computer to replace my Win 7 machine, too.  I'm weighing Cubase and Studio One.  Which has better support or user forums?
denverdrummer
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/27 08:19:24 (permalink)
Saxon1066
denverdrummer

Hey, Denver.  Are the Cubase take lanes more functional than the ones in Sonar?  I got pretty annoyed with Sonar's buggy take lanes (loved track layers) and started just using tracks in track folders instead.

Yeah they do seem a lot less buggy, but I haven't had too much time to play with them.  Yeah take lanes were very bugged in Sonar.  It worked OK for me so long as that auto resizing thing was turned off.

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Dell Inspiron 15, core i7, 16GB RAM, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mackie MR5 Mark 1 speakers
tonydude
  • Total Posts : 107
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/27 08:20:08 (permalink)

Check this post on Celemony's website: http://helpcenter.celemony.com/hc2-content/filtermelodynestudio4/en/m4tour_daw_cubase.html

Brian

Thanks that is useful.

The ability to view/edit multiple tracks in Melodyne and switch between them is the killer feature. 

It sounds like Cubase will only allow me to work on one track at a time in Melodyne. Am I right?

~ Tony
denverdrummer
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/27 08:21:58 (permalink)
Saxon1066
Well, I'm definitely going to switch to something; it's a good time, since I'm going with a new computer to replace my Win 7 machine, too.  I'm weighing Cubase and Studio One.  Which has better support or user forums?

Compared to here neither.  I do think the PreSonus forums are a little more forgiving to noobs.  I don't know why the Cubase forums are so impersonal.  I'd actually recommend using the homerecoding.com forums under the steinberg section.  Very helpful info there.

JClosed
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 690
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/27 08:23:29 (permalink)
Well - If this ending of Sonar has learned me one thing, it's that you never should "lay your eggs in one basket".

That's the reason I had Cubase next to Sonar, and that's the reason I now own Cubase, but also Ableton Live and (yes I know) FL-Studio. Yes - It's a bit of a learning curve for each of them. And I am not getting younger (I am 62 now), but still am able to learn enough to be very comfortable with each of those programs. I have spread the risks that way. If one of those DAW's goes belly-up like Sonar did, I still have a few left that are in active development.
ebibault51
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 91
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/27 11:48:09 (permalink)
About someone saying that someone else had a bad Steinberg experience. I'm not surprised about the fact that Steinberg isn't the most customer-friendly company around, it's a fact. But you've got no idea about the other companies. Are they better? Just type "presonus poor customer support" in Google...

Presonus is a US company, that doesn't mean really consumer-friendly. The German companies like Magix, Melodyne and Steinberg are obsessed with piracy and property rights (for example Magix sells sound collections that aren't commercially free of use, you have to pay more...). The French are also on the music market and if one day they make a DAW, I wouldn't be confident about the customer support!

What I want to say is that I don't see any company or any country which gives me 100% guarantee of honesty. We have to make a choice and we don't know what they will do. I will choose Cubase because the features are similar to SONAR and sometimes better (chords), it's a famous company, with a quite universal file format and it's in a big Japanese group. But maybe I'm wrong.

SONAR Platinum - Intel i5-3570 @ 3,40 GHz, 4 cores - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 - Windows 10 (64 bits) - Roland QUAD-CAPTURE (ASIO mode) - Roland JUNO-G - Roland A-300PRO - AKAI MPK mini
Greg Ondo
  • Total Posts : 30
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/27 12:39:20 (permalink)
rmfegley
Greg Ondo

each window can be freely located on any available screen and instantly recalled via a workspace that configures the screen layouts of windows as presets that can be assigned globally or specifically to a project.

Can they be assigned/recalled with keyboard shortcuts?

Also, just watching the "What's new" intro video, I see that Cubase has bezier automation curves, something that FL Studio has had for a long time but which I've been wishing to see in Sonar as well. And I've only recently come across the term VCA fader and wasn't sure what it did, but seeing it in the demo video it looks awesome, actually. 

Still lots of questions but I plan on attending the migration hangout with those.

The workspaces can be recalled through keyboard shortcuts.

All the best,

Greg
Greg Ondo
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/27 12:41:34 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby tonydude 2017/11/27 12:47:19
cityrat
Can we get an idea of how long the offer will be? 
Would really like to try a demo and don't want to "miss" the deal if I like it.
Where can I get a demo version (have a eLicencer)?

I believe the offer will be through the end of the year and look for a trial version in the coming days.

All the best,

Greg
Greg Ondo
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/27 12:46:22 (permalink)
wmountney
Ken Matson
Yeah while I know Cubase is fine software, the combination of having to have a hardware dongle and the lack of ARA support is enough to probably push me to Studio One.

Yeah, and if you think about it, it seems very unlikely that Steinberg will ever add ARA support to Cubase.  I think that because they created two of the fundamental pro audio standards, ASIO and VST, their ego will now not allow them to embrace any pro audio standard that they didn't create themselves.  They even felt a need to replicate the functionality of iLoK with their eLicenser system, including all of its good and bad aspects, right down to copying some of the same terminology and procedures of iLoK, such as their "Zero Downtime" process.

The most likely thing Steinberg would do to support ARA plugins would be creating their own API to replicate the functionality of ARA, and then expecting Celemony and Synchro Arts and to come out with versions of their plugins to work with that system.  But they probably wouldn't even do that unless they needed such a system to support one of their own plugins.

mritenburg
Four questions:

1. Is the $255 crossgrade the one that is 50% off?
2. How long will the promotion run?
3. Does Sweetwater carry the USB eLicenser?
4. Up above Greg said that Cubase does support ARA, but there are subsequent posts complaining that it does not.  What is the full story on ARA support?

Thanks!

Steinberg does not support ARA.  .
The price you mentioned is the discounted price.
I think the promotion will run through the rest of the year.
Sweetwater carries the USB elicenser.

All the best,

Greg
Greg Ondo
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/27 12:49:36 (permalink)
AndrewLMacaulay
Some questions:
* level of multi monitor support
* level of support for hi-dpi monitors
* support for touch monitors
* plans for support for Surface devices: Pen and Dial
* more detail on 32-bit VST support/limitations on 64-bit version
* any support for DX/DXi
* MIDI FX included
* any support for/equivalent of ProChannel

We3 will go over these topics on the hangout.  Thanks for asking.

All the best,

Greg
Greg Ondo
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/27 12:50:29 (permalink)
AndrewLMacaulay
Will this be recorded as well? Looks like I'll be driving at this time, so will be unable to attend.

It will be available to watch offline shortly after the hangout.

All the best,

Greg
Greg Ondo
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/27 12:53:03 (permalink)
awakerman
Hello Greg,
I have a eLicenser USB Key from the Cubase 4 essential .
Can I use it for the Cubase 9.5 version ?
Is it the same ?
Thanks

It is the same.

All the best,

Greg
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 10 of 17
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1