Helpful Replymessage from Greg Ondo of Steinberg

Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 12 of 17
Author
35mm
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1105
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/28 01:45:22 (permalink)
LMG
Greg Ondo
My name is Greg Ondo and I have represented Steinberg products for over 25 years in the United States.  

Dear Greg, is there any way that non-US and non-European customers can access the special competitive cross grade (download) for Sonar users? I've just placed an order through Sweetwater and they had to cancel it, saying they were not allowed to sell Cubase outside the US. Same thing happened to a Canadian customer. Thanks!

Can you not access the online store at Steinberg and buy from there?

Splat, Win 10 64bit and all sorts of musical odds and sods collected over the years, but still missing a lot of my old analogue stuff I sold off years ago.
noynekker
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1235
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/28 02:24:54 (permalink)
35mm
LMG
Greg Ondo
My name is Greg Ondo and I have represented Steinberg products for over 25 years in the United States.  

Dear Greg, is there any way that non-US and non-European customers can access the special competitive cross grade (download) for Sonar users? I've just placed an order through Sweetwater and they had to cancel it, saying they were not allowed to sell Cubase outside the US. Same thing happened to a Canadian customer. Thanks!

I don't see the crossgrade deal to Cubase 9.5 as an option on the Steinberg site . . . only some other products show up in the crossgrade area.

Cakewalk by Bandlab, Cubase, RME Babyface Pro, Intel i7 3770K @3.5Ghz, Asus P8Z77-VPro/Thunderbolt, 32GB DDR3 RAM, GeForce GTX 660 Ti, 250 GB OS SSD, 2TB HDD samples, Win 10 Pro 64 bit, backed up by Macrium Reflect, Novation Impulse 61 Midi Key Controller, Tannoy Active Near Field Monitors, Guitars by Vantage, Gibson, Yamaki and Ovation.

35mm
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/28 02:35:23 (permalink)
noynekker
35mm
LMG
Greg Ondo

I don't see the crossgrade deal to Cubase 9.5 as an option on the Steinberg site . . . only some other products show up in the crossgrade area.

OK, then I would suggest contacting the email address Greg posted on this thread (clubcubase at steinberg.net) and asking them about the crossgrade in your location. I think Steinberg have international distributors around the globe so you should be able to get a local deal.

Splat, Win 10 64bit and all sorts of musical odds and sods collected over the years, but still missing a lot of my old analogue stuff I sold off years ago.
DarinBad
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 461
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/28 03:31:26 (permalink)
noynekker
35mm
LMG
Greg Ondo

I wouldn't be surprised if they are simply waiting until after the youtube thing is done tomorrow.

AsRock Z77 Extreme4
CPU INTEL CORE I7 3770K
32 GB RAM
RME Fireface 800
Windows 10 Pro x64
riojazz
Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1337
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/28 03:54:44 (permalink)
michael diemer
Joe_A
riojazz
Greg, thank you for the offer and especially for answering questions here. 

My question involved music notation, what we call Staff View in SONAR. 

You have a page that says the Artist and Elements use "Basic" notation, whereas the Pro version uses "Professional" notation.  I have been unable to locate any further info that explains the distinction.  Is there a link?

The comparison page I refer to is here:  https://www.steinberg.net...cubase/comparison.html

Good question.
Btw I'm not hitting my goal of getting new DAW and getting on with things......
I guess I'll be waiting to see more misc questions answered and what cross grade pricing specials may arise.
😊 stuck being pragmatic I suppose.

If you look through the cubase manual youll see that pro is indeed far more advanced. with artist, you can only have 4 bars in the view without scrolling. with pro, you can have more. it is closer to real notation than any other daws notation.

Thank you, that's helpful.  My understanding is that Artist ad Elements are the same.  But is there a Cubase manual online I can read, as this detail about notation is the main thing I need to know before purchasing?  I'll start looking.

Software: Cakewalk by Bandlab; Adobe Audition; Band-in-A-Box audiophile; Izotope Ozone; Encore; Melodyne; Win 10 Pro, 64-bit.

Hardware: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 2nd; Roland Integra-7; TCE Finalizer; Presonus Central Station, Behringer X-Touch.  Home built i7 with 16 GB RAM, SSDs.
riojazz
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/28 03:56:50 (permalink)

Software: Cakewalk by Bandlab; Adobe Audition; Band-in-A-Box audiophile; Izotope Ozone; Encore; Melodyne; Win 10 Pro, 64-bit.

Hardware: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 2nd; Roland Integra-7; TCE Finalizer; Presonus Central Station, Behringer X-Touch.  Home built i7 with 16 GB RAM, SSDs.
riojazz
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/28 04:08:44 (permalink)
There does not appear to be info in the 1064 page manual specifically about the differences.  There is a section about the Artist version but no description of what is missing that you would get in the Pro version.

michael diemer
  • Total Posts : 1128
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/28 05:03:16 (permalink)
riojazz
There does not appear to be info in the 1064 page manual specifically about the differences.  There is a section about the Artist version but no description of what is missing that you would get in the Pro version.

you can see from screenshots that you can have more than 4 bars in the view. i have read the manual and you can adjust the width of the measures, so that is one major difference. im pretty sure you can also select a passage that extends over many bars, which you cant do in elements or artist.

michael diemer
Intel Quad Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge
32 GB ram
1TB Western Digital Black X2
Microsoft Windows 7 Pro 64
UR22 interface
Bandlab Cakewalk/Sonar 8.5 Studio
GPO-EWQLSO Gold-Vienna SP ED-Cinematic Strings 2

michael diemer
  • Total Posts : 1128
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/28 05:03:22 (permalink)
Duplicate post.
post edited by michael diemer - 2017/11/28 17:49:08

michael diemer
Intel Quad Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge
32 GB ram
1TB Western Digital Black X2
Microsoft Windows 7 Pro 64
UR22 interface
Bandlab Cakewalk/Sonar 8.5 Studio
GPO-EWQLSO Gold-Vienna SP ED-Cinematic Strings 2

riojazz
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/28 05:44:18 (permalink)
Thank you again.

That cannot be the only difference, is it?

I tried downloading and installig the demo of Cubase 8.5 (as there is none for version 9 or 9.5) but after entering the activation number given in the email, it still asks for an elicenser, ad I cannot proceed.  So in order to try the free demo, I need to pay the $35 or so, which they keep even if I do not like the program?  And this is just so I can find a complete answer to my question about notation.

35mm
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/28 06:30:06 (permalink)
I know it seems crazy if their demos require you to have an e-licenser! $35 sounds a bit steep. You can probably get an e-licenser in a store for less.

khapahk1956
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 18
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/28 08:27:13 (permalink)
riojazz

There is a specific manual for notation called Score Layout and Printing in Pro 9.5 on the Pro 9.5  Manuals page.  This seems to cover all aspects of the notation function and runs to over 200 pages !  Might this have  the information you're looking for ?

Bob
35mm
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/28 09:48:37 (permalink)
9.5 demo now seems to be available. For the Cubase Pro demo you need to have an e-licenser USB dongle, but you don't need one for the Cubase Elements trial. So I guess if like me you don't have an e-licenser you have to make do with resting out the Elements version. Problem is there are big differences between Elements and Pro, and I guess for most of us it's Pro we are really interested in.

https://www.steinberg.net/en/products/steinberg_trial_versions/cubase.html

Just heard from Steinberg, the demo isn't out til tomorrow so while the page is there it isn't working yet.
post edited by 35mm - 2017/11/28 15:05:58

Rob from Sydney
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 29
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/28 09:51:03 (permalink)
(In reply to Mudgel - what is the situation in Australia):

I don't think there is a crossgrade option here - my guess is its part of the local Yamaha licensing/distribution agreement.

I tried purchasing from Sweetwater, similar to the Canadians they declined to sell it to me, not authorised outside the US.  $US255 then purchasing a dongle locally seems a really good price compared to what I've ever seen, but I don't think its going to work.

There seems to be a bit of a changeover from version 9 to 9.5 happening on online stores, some of the usual places were listing the full/new retail box product but not at the moment.  No mention of crossgrades anywhere.  The Steinberg site detects I'm in Australia and only offers "upgrades" (from older Cubase products), no competitive crossgrade from other (non-Steinberg) DAWs and not even the choice to buy a new product outright.  Again my guess is its part of the local agreement to get you to buy a box in store first.

I'm sure its a great product but with Sonar Platinum still working, I'm going to give Reaper a really good look over, and the chance that a good price on Studio One Pro (and I already have Notion) might be about to appear, no chance I'm sinking AU$730 to $850 on it right now.

Hoping there's some chance Greg can clarify though, and whether there's any local option of a crossgrade because the midi and score options are really what I got into Cakewalk (Pro 6) for in the first place, and Cubase seems to be the most powerful fit there!

In the meantime I'll contact a few of the main stores and see if they can offer any comment.

Cheers
Rob
35mm
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/28 10:25:00 (permalink)
It's done through local distributors by the look of it.

Australia
http://www.yamahabackstage.com.au/steinberg/

Canada
http://ca.yamaha.com/

See here for others

So I guess you need to go to your local Yammy website then find an authorized (online or high street) dealer.

dannyjmusic
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 237
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/28 12:24:43 (permalink)
So to get the crossgrade from Cubase to work, we need an authorization code of some sort to prove that we were owners of sonar. Does anybody know who to email to get that authorization code? I Emailed their
ask net email address, and haven't received a response in 2 days.
35mm
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/28 12:33:35 (permalink)
dannyjmusic
So to get the crossgrade from Cubase to work, we need an authorization code of some sort to prove that we were owners of sonar. Does anybody know who to email to get that authorization code? I Emailed their
ask net email address, and haven't received a response in 2 days.

You have to send proof when they ask for it. I.e after the checkout process I think.

anydmusic
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 251
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/28 12:43:17 (permalink)
For me the check out process requested proof of ownership before I had to enter payment details the process then stopped. I have now received an email saying that my proof has been accepted and I can complete the transaction.

Just need to make time to do this.

Graham
Windows 10 64 bit - Intel i7-4790, 16GB, 2 x 256GB SSD
Cubase 9.5
Sonar Platinum (Rapture Pro, Z3TA 2, CA2A, plus some other bits)
Delta 24/96, UAD 1, UA25 EX, 2 x MidiSport,
IKMultiMedia - (SampleTank 3, Miroslav 2, Syntronik, TRacks 5, Modo Bass), Band In A Box, Sound Quest, VS Pro, Kinetic, Acid, Sound Forge, Jammer
Waves MaxxVolume, IR 1, Aphex Enhancer, Abbey Plates
Korg Legacy, VStation, Bass Station
35mm
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/28 13:32:28 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Cat Cave 2017/11/28 14:12:26
Some info I got from Steinberg support mostly relevant to UK buyers;

thanks for your interest in Cubase Pro 9.5.
1. Yes, the online version comes with the dongle.
2. It is shipped from Germany, it is usually delivered within 7 working day. (to UK)
3. Yes that demo require the USB-eLicenser as well, because the licence of Pro as well as Artist can only be stored on the dongle. If you don´t want to purchase the dongle twice I suggest to download the trial of Elements 9.5 that works without dongle as well. Elements 9.5 is a version that has less features than Pro 9.5, but you can compare them by having a look to this chart https://www.steinberg.net/en/products/cubase/comparison.html

dannyjmusic
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 237
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/28 14:00:13 (permalink)
Thanks for the help guys... I hope the Cubase forum is as friendly and helpful as you all have been
jerrydf
  • Total Posts : 280
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/28 14:31:13 (permalink)
fyi - I ordered my crossgrade on Friday from the Steinberg website.  I have a mail today saying it has been shipped via UPS, it will be delivered tomorrow (shipping from Germany)

jdf

i5 6500 3.2GHz; 16GB; Win10 on SSD1; recording and samples on SSD2;  + 3 other HDDs; 2 monitors in landscape;  back with CbB and also Cubase 10 Pro,  Komplete 11, Steinberg UR22.
Instruments: Various fretboards and amplifiers.
Listen to ... Cosmic Two-Step (2017)
synkrotron
Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5263
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/28 14:37:13 (permalink)
jerrydf
fyi - I ordered my crossgrade on Friday from the Steinberg website.  I have a mail today saying it has been shipped via UPS, it will be delivered tomorrow (shipping from Germany)

jdf

Nice one, Jerry, and good luck on your new DAW adventure

I would still like to try Cubase myself, to exorcise all the old prejudices I had built up over the years, but even if a demo was now made available, I am all burned out from trying out other software.

cheers

andy

http://www.synkrotron.co.uk/
Intel Coreâ„¢i7-3820QM Quad Core Mobile Processor 2.70GHz 8MB cache | Intel HM77 Express Chipset | 16GB SAMSUNG 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675M - 2.0GB DDR5 Video RAM | 500GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | Windows 10 Pro | Roland OCTA-CAPTURE | SONAR Platinum ∞ FFS| Too many VSTi's to list here | KRK KNS-8400 Headphones | Roland JP-8000 | Oberheim OB12 | Novation Nova | Gibson SG Special | PRS Studio
fwrend
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 709
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/28 14:37:57 (permalink)
riojazz

Cubase Version Comparison

EDIT: oops, missed the end of 35mm's post - oh well :)

Wren 

Studio Cat DAW i7-4790K 4.0GHz, 16 GB, Windows 10 (latest), 64-bit, 500GB SSD OS HDD, 1.5TB 7200 SATA Recording, 2x 1TB SSD Samples, MOTU 8M, Behringer X-Touch
jerrydf
  • Total Posts : 280
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/28 14:45:22 (permalink)
Hi Andy,  Over the weekend I've been playing with Cubase AI8 (free from my Steinberg UR22 interface).  It has the basic audio and midi (PRV) editing. I'm really keen on it now (sorry folks ...) and becoming much more familiar with its foibles. I have no doubt I'll be able to operate it with the same workflow efficiency I had with Sonar. If I had one suggestion to make to Cubase guys - can you give me the same right-click tool access I had on Sonar.  Cubase is almost identical but not quite as ergonomic. It could also use the "star" tool Sonar has in that context. This is a very minor issue. Most other procedures are becoming second nature. 
Cheers
Jerry

i5 6500 3.2GHz; 16GB; Win10 on SSD1; recording and samples on SSD2;  + 3 other HDDs; 2 monitors in landscape;  back with CbB and also Cubase 10 Pro,  Komplete 11, Steinberg UR22.
Instruments: Various fretboards and amplifiers.
Listen to ... Cosmic Two-Step (2017)
synkrotron
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/28 14:49:19 (permalink)
jerrydf
Most other procedures are becoming second nature. 

Absolutely, Jerry... It's all about trying to ditch old habits and learn new ones. I'm trying a DAW that uses "d" to duplicate selected events, but in SONAR I use "d" to toggle track/console view. So at the moment I have to spend some time deleting the odd duplicate here and there haha!

cheers

andy

Intel Coreâ„¢i7-3820QM Quad Core Mobile Processor 2.70GHz 8MB cache | Intel HM77 Express Chipset | 16GB SAMSUNG 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675M - 2.0GB DDR5 Video RAM | 500GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | Windows 10 Pro | Roland OCTA-CAPTURE | SONAR Platinum ∞ FFS| Too many VSTi's to list here | KRK KNS-8400 Headphones | Roland JP-8000 | Oberheim OB12 | Novation Nova | Gibson SG Special | PRS Studio
35mm
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/28 14:52:33 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby synkrotron 2017/11/28 14:52:52
synkrotron
jerrydf

jdf

I would still like to try Cubase myself, to exorcise all the old prejudices I had built up over the years, but even if a demo was now made available, I am all burned out from trying out other software.

cheers

andy

See my post further up - the demo is out. However, I'm not getting the email through after I jump through all the hoops to get it - tried a few times now. And it's not a demo of Cubase Pro, but Cubase Elephants as that doesn't require the Elicenser.

synkrotron
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/28 14:54:10 (permalink)
35mm

See my post further up - the demo is out. However, I'm not getting the email through after I jump through all the hoops to get it - tried a few times now. And it's not a demo of Cubase Pro, but Cubase Elephants as that doesn't require the Elicenser.

Thanks, Al, I'll take a look at that

Taurean Mixing
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 312
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/28 14:58:36 (permalink)
35mm
synkrotron
jerrydf

jdf

cheers

andy

Yea I've done it twice already but still no demo license yet. I'll give it some more time...

Bob
taureanonlinemixing.com
Sonar Platinum x64
3930K (ADK) Win 7 x64
35mm
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/28 15:11:06 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Taurean Mixing 2017/11/28 15:20:46
Re: the Cubase demo, I just heard from Steinberg that it will be live tomorrow. While the page is there now and you can jump through the hoops to get it, you won't receive the email.

https://www.steinberg.net/en/products/steinberg_trial_versions/cubase.html

Unless you have the e-licenser dongle already, you will have to try the Cubase Elements demo and check out the feature comparisons at https://www.steinberg.net/en/products/cubase/comparison.html

Taurean Mixing
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 312
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/28 15:21:36 (permalink)
Thanks 35mm, I do have a eLicenser from my Wavelab license. So, I shall wait til tomorrow. 

Bob
taureanonlinemixing.com
Sonar Platinum x64
3930K (ADK) Win 7 x64
Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 12 of 17
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1