Helpful ReplyBig announcements coming June 1st, 2016

Page: << < ..4142434445.. > >> Showing page 44 of 47
Author
Seth Kellogg [Cakewalk]
Administrator
  • Total Posts : 814
Re: Big announcements coming June 1st, 2016 2016/06/01 12:00:15 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby rlared 2016/06/01 12:11:04
rlared
I see that "Plugin Browser enhancements" is now listed.  What happened to the "Library / Browser" enhancements that was listed previously?  I was really excited about the whole library / browser being re-vamped.

Still on the roadmap and something we need to tackle.

Plugin Browser is Phase 1. 

Best Regards,
Seth
Brian Walton
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 584
Re: Big announcements coming June 1st, 2016 2016/06/01 12:01:11 (permalink)
OK, Cakewalk.  You made me happy.  Thank you!  

SONAR Platinum

Membership valid through 

You will receive lifetime updates for this product forever!
Andrew Rossa
Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1910
Re: Big announcements coming June 1st, 2016 2016/06/01 12:02:03 (permalink)
Rocsee70
Jari
Ok. Just checked my price: 237 euros (from Sonar X3 Producer). Way too much for my current budget.

You should check out JRR (www.jrrshop.com). Not only is it in USD at a lower exchange rate, but you avoid (ahum) VAT, and they sometimes provide extra discount. 
According to the brand new FAQ from Cakewalk:

Does this apply to all versions of SONAR Platinum?

Yes! Any purchase of SONAR Platinum including new versions, academic and upgrades will get free lifetime updates during the time period of June 1st - August 31st, 2016. These include purchases from the Cakewalk Shop or dealers.

Can I purchase lifetime updates from a retailer?

Yes! Any purchase of SONAR Platinum from a retailer during the time period of June 1st - August 31st, 2016 will qualify for lifetime updates. Please make sure you redeem your code before the offer expires.

Now, one thing is confusing me. This sounds like whoever is now buying Platinum until August 31st, is getting the lifetime updates. But what with those who already have Platinum ? Regular renewal for 1 year was $149, so why are we being offered $199 (or the €200+ equivalent) ? That's even more expensive than upgrading from Sonar Producer to Platinum through JRR ($169 at discounted rate).
I don't know if it's possible, but I would be much cheaper off upgrading my X1 Producer (which I already upgraded to Platinum back in December) to Platinum, than taking the lifetime update to my Platinum. That just doesn't make sense.

JRR was told to pull the SKU down. It's the old membership SKU. It's going to cause more problems. I have asked twice for them to pull it. The regular price for the upgrade is $199 with Lifetime updates. You can see the right SKU on our store as well. We have pull down Platinum Membership SKUs on our end as well so people don't buy the wrong thing. You've been warned.
doncolga
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1519
Re: Big announcements coming June 1st, 2016 2016/06/01 12:02:18 (permalink)
ProjectM
doncolga
ProjectM
I will never look at Windows again as soon as I have MacSonar installed!

Same here.  The main reason I was ever on Windows was Sonar.  Totally nothing wrong with Windows, but I do other stuff on the OSX platform.

Jepp! Same here and it came to a point where Windows annoyed me severely for one last time and I sold my PCs and had to consider Sonar a casualty of war. I haven't regretted it once - but I've missed Sonar quite a bit. When I boot up Bootcamp to do something with old Sonar projects, it runs quite well, but Windows still get on my nerves!

Same here...I've missed Sonar ALOT.  I've been doing everything in Ableton because that's what I perform with.  I'll still likely perform with Ableton unless Matrix View does what I'd like.  If nothing else I could more easily share between the two.

HP Z220 Workstation I7 3770, 8 GB RAM, Windows 10, Sonar Platinum, RME Multiface II via PCIe, JBL 4326 w/sub, AvanTone MixCubes
VariousArtist
Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1397
Re: Big announcements coming June 1st, 2016 2016/06/01 12:03:13 (permalink)
Ripple Edits

++++++1

This is the biggest deal for me. Very excited!
xiwix
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 284
Re: Big announcements coming June 1st, 2016 2016/06/01 12:05:05 (permalink)
Overall very happy:

As a Cakewalk user from the last century I appreciate the lifetime updates offer - especially since I totally fell off the back during the Roland years.  Thank you.

I have been wanting to be able to take my laptop (macbook) out and mix/listen/tinker with tracks and now I won't have to put bootcamp and windows on it.  Good timing.

And future development!

SilkTone
Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1566
Re: Big announcements coming June 1st, 2016 2016/06/01 12:06:18 (permalink)
Wow, what a disappointment!! A Mac version that makes absolute zero difference to me, other than knowing SONAR on PC will eventually become the second class citizen. Rolling updates that... we've had for awhile now (am I missing something? What about this is new...?). Announcement of improvements to existing features and a few new features that will be available sometime in the future. Just like we always had announcements of a new features in the past. Confused.

I thought I was going to be excited if I waited until June 1st to make my lifetime payment. Now I don't even feel like doing it until the offer almost expires.

Windows 10 Pro x64, SONAR Platinum 64-bit
Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 USB, ASRock Z97 Pro4, Haswell 4790k @ 4.4GHz
32GB DDR3/1600, 500GB SSD (OS) + 256 GB SSD + 3TB MD
NVIDIA GTX-1070, 40" 4K Monitor + 1 Monitor in ISO booth
markyzno
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1216
Re: Big announcements coming June 1st, 2016 2016/06/01 12:06:43 (permalink)
No major updates for Video and OMF's :(

Sonar Platinum 64 bit > Pro tools 10.3.2 >Intel i7 3770K > 16Gb Ram > Gigabyte Z77-D3H Motherboard> NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 2 GB > ATi RADEON HD5700 > 240GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD> Win 10 home 64 bit> Delta 1010 > MOTU Audio Express > MA-15D's > NI Ultimate 9 > NI Kontrol S61 1.1 > NI MAschine Studio 2.3 / KORG MS-20 Mini - Arturia MicroBrute > KORG SQ1 - KORG Kaoss Pad KP3 > iPad and IO Dock 2 running various bits > Bunch of guitars >

Sound Design on IMDB --

SilentMind
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 50
Re: Big announcements coming June 1st, 2016 2016/06/01 12:07:19 (permalink)
Is it my imagination or have some 'Rolling Updates' gone missing in all the news ? Sure I remember references to a 'Library / Media browser' updates, now gone in favour of other things. Maybe I'm just confused or getting old :D

Don't want to be THAT guy on the forums but none of this is of much use for my needs. Mac version will have some tough competition with Logic / Studio One etc so I dont really understand the choice. Not that I have to. Happy that other musicians will get on board the good ship Cakewalk - the customer care, ethics and front-line support are excellent compared to other companies.

I respect Cakewalk but now we must part ways - at least my choice of future DAW has been made a little simpler. I'll follow my muse in a different direction but those that stay are in good hands, I've been treated well thus far and the developments in the past year are radical compared to other stale old DAW companies.

That's my take. Wouldn't normally offer a negative view but Cakewalk is like an old friend who I still admire even though we have followed a different path.

Well done chaps. You certainly surprised me!
Jari
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 54
Re: Big announcements coming June 1st, 2016 2016/06/01 12:08:13 (permalink)
Rocsee70
According to the brand new FAQ from Cakewalk:

Does this apply to all versions of SONAR Platinum?

Yes! Any purchase of SONAR Platinum including new versions, academic and upgrades will get free lifetime updates during the time period of June 1st - August 31st, 2016. These include purchases from the Cakewalk Shop or dealers.

Yes, but: "You spoke, we listened, and now when you purchase SONAR Platinum (with Lifetime Updates), you’ll receive updates to all future versions of SONAR." http://www.cakewalk.com/June-2016#SONAR4Life
Tunerman
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 186
Re: Big announcements coming June 1st, 2016 2016/06/01 12:08:16 (permalink)
The BIG announcement and all the hype around it, for me, is a big dud....
1)SonarMac...I could care less. But it it helps expand the Cakewalk user base, making it a more solid company in the end, that's good for all of us users.
2)Interesting stuff coming up down the road this year, but I still have to wait
3)Lifetime membership - OK, I'll sign on. Even though I was able to do so before June 1st, I wanted to see what the BIG announcement was.

count me disappointed

“When I sit at my worm-eaten piano, I envy no king in his happiness" -F.J.Haydn
Sonar Platinum v22.9.2; W10-64; i7,950,3.06Gz;12GB ram;Korg BX3; Korg M1; Roland FP dp. Two grand pianos: 1929 Steinway M 5'7" &  a 1913 Steinway B  6'11"; Focusrite PRO24 & 18i8; Yamaha NS10M, JBL LRS305.

"Myrna's Love" - Slide show movie of a piano rebuilding process, with original music, recorded using Sonar 8.5.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANU-lrom_Y0

hevanw
  • Total Posts : 80
Re: Big announcements coming June 1st, 2016 2016/06/01 12:08:37 (permalink)
Andrew Rossa [Cakewalk]
JRR was told to pull the SKU down. It's the old membership SKU. It's going to cause more problems. I have asked twice for them to pull it. The regular price for the upgrade is $199 with Lifetime updates. You can see the right SKU on our store as well. We have pull down Platinum Membership SKUs on our end as well so people don't buy the wrong thing. You've been warned.

Ok, but still it doesn't look right.
According to your own new overview page, upgrading from e.g. Sonar X1 Producer, or renewing from Sonar Platinum will cost exactly the same: $199. The upgrade from Sonar Producer to Platinum was always already $199, so they now basically get the Lifetime for free, while for existing Platinum users you increased the price from $149 to $199 so we are paying $50 extra for Lifetime.
Also, with JRR's additional discount on Producer->Platinum, that eventually would cost me €152, whereas what I am being offered as Lifetime renewal of Platinum via the Cakewalk store is €232, that's more than 50% more expensive while you would think it would be cheaper!
So, obviously I have this question now: Can I still upgrade my old Sonar X1 Producer, even though I already upgraded it back in December ?
Andrew Rossa
Re: Big announcements coming June 1st, 2016 2016/06/01 12:12:22 (permalink)
Rocsee70
Andrew Rossa [Cakewalk]

Ok, but still it doesn't look right.
According to your own new overview page, upgrading from e.g. Sonar X1 Producer, or renewing from Sonar Platinum will cost exactly the same: $199. The upgrade from Sonar Producer to Platinum was always already $199, so they now basically get the Lifetime for free, while for existing Platinum users you increased the price from $149 to $199 so we are paying $50 extra for Lifetime.
Also, with JRR's additional discount on Producer->Platinum, that eventually would cost me €152, whereas what I am being offered as Lifetime renewal of Platinum via the Cakewalk store is €232, that's more than 50% more expensive while you would think it would be cheaper!

We wanted to simplify the pricing structure and make it appealing to all. Lifetime updates do have a cost and we tried to keep it affordable for all. As for JRR, I am not sure they have the right SKUs up. I would stick with Sweetwater or GC as they have the right SKUs. Any customer issues will be directed to them and not us :)
hevanw
Re: Big announcements coming June 1st, 2016 2016/06/01 12:16:48 (permalink)
Andrew Rossa [Cakewalk]

We wanted to simplify the pricing structure and make it appealing to all. Lifetime updates do have a cost and we tried to keep it affordable for all. As for JRR, I am not sure they have the right SKUs up. I would stick with Sweetwater or GC as they have the right SKUs. Any customer issues will be directed to them and not us :)

Ok, I had a look at Sweetwater and there it does have the new SKUs, so for JRR it's not just the $149 one that is wrong but probably all of them. So to my above point about 'upgrade from Producer' actually Sweetwater calls it 'upgrade from Producer or Platinum' so then I would not need to ask for an upgrade of my already upgraded X1 Producer. Hope that JRR will also apply their Group Buy discounts to this SKU, but will see when they update it.
Viamichael
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 174
Re: Big announcements coming June 1st, 2016 2016/06/01 12:25:08 (permalink)
I am thrilled!!!

Count me in as one of early alpha or beta testers.

I was always a Windows user and beta tester for several products, but my photography and graphic business has always pushed me into the Mac world. So, I have been a cross platform person for a few years, now. I still think there are a few things that make more sense on a PC, but I also feel the Mac is more intuitive.

I am still running Win 7 and use an Edirol FA-101 which does not and will not have Win 10 drivers. My PC is aging, right along with me, so I am hoping my next computer will be some sort of a Mac running Sonar.

I am also hoping that the lifetime upgrades will also include the Mac. Actually, before I signed up, which was the first day it was offered, I read through the fine print and it looks like this will be the case.

I have been very happy with the new Cakewalk Sonar Bakers and Money Makers. Thank you.

Being a serious user of the iPad Pro, I am thinking that once the Bakers iron out the Mac creases they will port it over to iOS.
Photo_G
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 124
Re: Big announcements coming June 1st, 2016 2016/06/01 12:25:41 (permalink)
If I buy the Cakewalk SONAR Platinum Upgrade from SONAR X3 Producer from JRR here:

https://www.jrrshop.com/cakewalk-sonar-platinum-upgrade-from-sonar-x3-producer

...will it qualify for lifetime updates?   I currently own Sonar X3 Producer.

Thanks,
G

SONAR Platinum (FOREVER!), 64-bit Windows 8.1 Pro, AMD FX-8320 CPU, 32GB RAM, M-Audio USB interface, Yamaha KX8 keyboard
Snehankur
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 507
Re: Big announcements coming June 1st, 2016 2016/06/01 12:27:00 (permalink)
I hope the offer for Lifetime will remain active till Aug 31st.
I had a bad experience regarding the offer of $99 which was changed from March31st to Jan/Feb (I forgot the date).

Sonar4Mac will certainly put a competition to other DAW
Updates if include more VSTi for real instruments would be better.
Lifetime Update - just unbelievable. [But depends on how much will be included within SONAR and how much will be add-on separately with payment]

Regards
Snehankur
Andrew Rossa
Re: Big announcements coming June 1st, 2016 2016/06/01 12:35:09 (permalink)
Photo_G
If I buy the Cakewalk SONAR Platinum Upgrade from SONAR X3 Producer from JRR here:

Thanks,
G

No, that is the membership SKU. As stated, they have not cleaned up their site despite various requests. I would go to Sweetwater or GC who have the right price. We won't be dealing with any customer service issues due to this issue.
Vastman
Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2508
Re: Big announcements coming June 1st, 2016 2016/06/01 12:37:21 (permalink)
Not being obsessed with the short sighted "me me me" syndrome running rampant in the world, I'm extremely excited by this announcement!

Do I have any apple products?  No.  Do I think this is going to expand Sonar's user base and benefit us all?  Absolutely!  Combined with "lifetime" updates and the growing power of the platform, it is going to be VERY interesting to many new power users...

I'll be upgrading to "lifetime" as soon as funds allow.  With the expanded user base and additional hardware being brought into Cakewalk's fold, I expect growing support from hardware vendors for Sonars which has been somewhat sketchy historically.  Cross platform and a stable pricing structure should go towards changing this.  

Cross platform compatibility has been a long time in coming and I think it's a smart move and will benefit us all in the long run... Thank you, bakers!

Dana
We make the future... Climate Change Music
VastMaschine:SP4L/W10/i74930K/32GB/RME/CAD E100s; The Orchestra! NOVO!/Inspire/BohemianViolin&Cello, ARK1&2,/MinimalCapriccioMaximoSoto/OE1&2, Action&Emotive/Omni2/Tril/RMX/All OrangeTree/Falcon/APE Jugs/Alpha&Bravo/BFD3 & SD3
Gravity/DM307/AEON/DM/Damage/Diva/HZebra/Hive/Diversion/VC4/Serum/Alchemy/blablabla
Spitfire/8DIO/SL/KH/EW/NI; Shred1&2/AGF,G,M&T Torch&Res&Ren/GD-6; Ibanez SR1200&SR505
NOVAX FanFret Tele&Strat 
Jim Roseberry
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9871
Re: Big announcements coming June 1st, 2016 2016/06/01 12:37:38 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Anderton 2016/06/01 13:02:05
e.Blue
Ironically, this may be changing soon as Microsoft is finally finishing up a brand new Thunderbolt audio stack which is based around USB 3.1/C and promises to greatly simplify what developers need to do to get their hardware up and running on Windowa 10 PCs.

We have true "PCIe via Thunderbolt support" (right now) under Win10.
You have to be running one of the latest Z170x or X99p chipset motherboards that supports Thunderbolt-3 via USB-C port.  It's now up the the audio interface manufacturers to create the appropriate drivers.

The reason for the "lag" on the PC side is simple:
Thunderbolt provides access to the PCIe bus (nothing more nothing less).
We've had (and still have) PCIe slots on the PC.
The only way to access the PCIe bus on any current generation Mac is via Thunderbolt-2.
This is why Apple is pushing Thunderbolt.  
For PC users, Thunderbolt brought nothing new to the table.
Someone here put it eloquently.  "Thunderbolt was a solution to a problem that didn't exist."
In their infinite wisdom , Apple took away PCIe slots and gave their users the same features (albeit lower bandwidth with TB2)... at significantly higher cost.
ie: A Thunderbolt 1TB conventional HD is $200.  That bare SATA drive is about $60.

It's easy to see the figures for Thunderbolt audio interfaces and get seduced by the numbers.
But... we've had those capabilities via PCIe audio interfaces for *years*.
MOTU 424 PCIe is an exceptional low-latency performer... as is the Lynx AES-16e/50... as are the RME units.
The only difference is you can connect the Thunderbolt units externally.  That's their only advantage.

MOTU now has a "PCIe via Thunderbolt" driver available for their AVB series (for Windows 10).
You'll need a USB-C to Thunderbolt adapter (about $80 - just released this month and out of stock at most places).

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
sonarman1
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 255
Re: Big announcements coming June 1st, 2016 2016/06/01 12:38:33 (permalink)
Hell of a mammoth thread. Time to shift to the new thread.
Photo_G
  • Total Posts : 124
Re: Big announcements coming June 1st, 2016 2016/06/01 12:42:02 (permalink)
Andrew Rossa [Cakewalk]
Photo_G

Thanks,
G

No, that is the membership SKU. As stated, they have not cleaned up their site despite various requests. I would go to Sweetwater or GC who have the right price. We won't be dealing with any customer service issues due to this issue.

Thanks Andrew.  What is the right "SKU"?

G

SONAR Platinum (FOREVER!), 64-bit Windows 8.1 Pro, AMD FX-8320 CPU, 32GB RAM, M-Audio USB interface, Yamaha KX8 keyboard
sirdavidabraham
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 18
Re: Big announcements coming June 1st, 2016 2016/06/01 12:42:21 (permalink)
Great news Cakewalk...one minor detail: it's pronounced OS "Ten" ☺️
Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Big announcements coming June 1st, 2016 2016/06/01 12:43:42 (permalink)
SilentMind
Is it my imagination or have some 'Rolling Updates' gone missing in all the news ? Sure I remember references to a 'Library / Media browser' updates, now gone in favour of other things. Maybe I'm just confused or getting old :D

The original plan was to update the entire Browser all at once. Now it's being done in sections. I believe the plug-in section is being done first.

Don't want to be THAT guy on the forums but none of this is of much use for my needs. Mac version will have some tough competition with Logic / Studio One etc so I dont really understand the choice.

There are additional aspects that hopefully will play out well over time  But I would think the opportunity for lifetime updates, and re-visiting parts of the program that need some software love, will be very beneficial for existing users.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
hevanw
Re: Big announcements coming June 1st, 2016 2016/06/01 12:44:57 (permalink)
Photo_G

Thanks Andrew.  What is the right "SKU"?

I think we have to wait until all their pricing matches the official one from Cakewalk. I.e. upgrade from (any) Producer or Platinum would be $199. This is the link I got from the JRR mail but right now it's still the old SKUs : https://www.jrrshop.com/computer-software/daw-software/sonar-platinum?arrow=1&dir=asc&limit=all&order=news_from_date . Their mail did mention extra discount in cart, so I think that's their Group Buy discount which would bring the price down from $199 to $169.
letyourlightshine
  • Total Posts : 110
Re: Big announcements coming June 1st, 2016 2016/06/01 12:45:34 (permalink)
Jari
Competition will be tough: Logic Pro $199 vs Sonar Platinum $???
I think they [Cakewalk] should (must?) lower Sonar pricing in some point to get new customers from the Mac camp.

[/quotI don't know,if something is good why make it the cheapest?Sonar is way better than logic,i own both.
TerraSin
Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1975
Re: Big announcements coming June 1st, 2016 2016/06/01 12:46:05 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby doyouwannit 2016/06/01 13:10:40
Question that I'm not sure has been asked: will my current Sonar license work with the Mac version? I have no intentions of switching but it would be good to know.
letyourlightshine
  • Total Posts : 110
Re: Big announcements coming June 1st, 2016 2016/06/01 12:46:47 (permalink)
SilkTone
Wow, what a disappointment!! A Mac version that makes absolute zero difference to me, other than knowing SONAR on PC will eventually become the second class citizen. Rolling updates that... we've had for awhile now (am I missing something? What about this is new...?). Announcement of improvements to existing features and a few new features that will be available sometime in the future. Just like we always had announcements of a new features in the past. Confused.

I thought I was going to be excited if I waited until June 1st to make my lifetime payment. Now I don't even feel like doing it until the offer almost expires.

I just don't get this.Sonar for PC won't become "second class".Ableton and propellerhead have versions for both OS,and they are equal in my opinion.
mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: Big announcements coming June 1st, 2016 2016/06/01 12:47:48 (permalink)
berlymahn

That said, this whole marketing "wait until June 1st" thing (for all us Windows-based Sonar users), now feels a bit like finding out that the super-hot blind date we've been looking forward to having sex with, is actually a guy.

LOL... Today's "notable quotable"!

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Big announcements coming June 1st, 2016 2016/06/01 12:47:57 (permalink)
Jim Roseberry
e.Blue
Ironically, this may be changing soon as Microsoft is finally finishing up a brand new Thunderbolt audio stack which is based around USB 3.1/C and promises to greatly simplify what developers need to do to get their hardware up and running on Windowa 10 PCs.

We have true "PCIe via Thunderbolt support" (right now) under Win10.
You have to be running one of the latest Z170x or X99p chipset motherboards that supports Thunderbolt-3 via USB-C port.  It's now up the the audio interface manufacturers to create the appropriate drivers....[etc]

Great explanation, Jim, very helpful. The only thing I'd add is I've talked to some manufacturers of Thunderbolt interfaces who wanted to make their products available for Windows, and was told that getting the "okay" from Apple and Intel on their driverswas taking forever. 

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Page: << < ..4142434445.. > >> Showing page 44 of 47
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1