Helpful ReplyLockedCakewalk Announcement

Page: << < ..4647484950.. > >> Showing page 46 of 59
Author
johne53
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/29 13:00:14 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby gswitz 2017/12/29 18:28:29
SandlinJohn
groove
Sorry if it's been said or covered, I seem to be unable to find this in search:

Is there any chance it would be open sourced?  If it really falls all the way apart and there is no asset purchase, I would hope someone would push Gibson to open source it and throw it up on github.  Some of the original devs and a community of others could potentially keep hacking on it and possibly even get the port to OSX happening.

The discussion around this in various places convinced me this will not happen, though I thought that would be great when I first heard Gibson had killed the company. But someone pointed out that software of the magnitude of SONAR probably had licensed code from other sources

Hi there - I've been involved in DAW development since the early days of AMS AudioFile (I'll bet there aren't many of you who'll remember that old thing!!)  Most recently I've been involved in the Mixbus DAW from Harrison Consoles (Mixbus of course is famously open-source).

FWIW there are usually ways to circumvent licensing issues in open-source code. "Open-source" doesn't necessarily mean you must release the source code for absolutely everything. For example it's possible to release code with a restricted license (which allows you to safeguard someone else's contribution).

It's clear that Gibson's announcement has upset a lot of customers and I think they'd be doing themselves a big favour if they at least examined the possibilities for an open-source distribution of Sonar. In fact if they're based anywhere near Nashville they're only a stone's throw away from the Harrison factory - and I'm pretty sure Harrison would be happy to help out with general advice etc (they've got a lot of experience with open-source products!)

Halo Serene
  • Total Posts : 12
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/29 14:08:27 (permalink)
Hi All

Sad to find out about this, but I guess that's just life. 

I had Sonar Professional (X3?) for just a few months, after a break of many years from using Notator to drive my hardware studio.

So I guess I had the fairly easy decision to make to switch to Studio One Professional a couple of weeks ago. I hadn't had Sonar for long enough to become hardwired to its way of doing things - I am glad to say I'm at the same level with S1 as I was with Sonar, and I have no problems with it.

I do feel for all you guys for whom Sonar is the cornerstone for all the work you have done and will be doing And for the Cakewalk guys, of course!!

I intend to keep visiting the Cakewalk forums (for how long they last) to keep an eye on things. Good luck and best fortune to you all, anyway 
brconflict
Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1891
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/29 15:30:31 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ttoz 2018/01/04 19:20:24
disdisley
i don't understand this at all
the date on this post says the 21 November????
So can any one tell me why this was not sent out as an email ???
i have just paid for curtain plug ins and other stuff only to be told i can not upgrade
or renew 
for me this is the most criminal scam i've seen in a long time 
this is truly unfair 
and maybe breaking the law some where along the lines 
thanks a bunch

My perception is, the parent company grossly under-estimated the Cakewalk community, and simply doesn't understand how to properly address these types of situations. Not blaming them for this, but I just don't think they fully appreciated the situation or the audience.

Brian

Sonar Platinum, Steinberg Wavelab Pro 9, MOTU 24CoreIO w/ low-slew OP-AMP mods and BLA external clock, True P8, Audient ASP008, API 512c, Chandler Germ500, Summit 2ba-221, GAP Pre-73, Peluso 22251, Peluso 2247LE, Mackie HR824, Polk Audio SRS-SDA 2.3tl w/upgraded Soniccraft crossovers and Goertz cables, powered by Pass-X350. All wiring Star-Quad XLR or Monster Cable. Power by Monster Power Signature AVS2000 voltage stabilizer and Signature Pro Power 5100 PowerCenter on a 20A isolation shielded circuit.
Leee
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 783
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/29 18:19:58 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby markcpaxton 2017/12/30 01:44:57
Once again, when I posted my comment about Cakewalk having a customer email database, and sending out notifications to all Cakewalk product owners about "the news", I got met with ridicule and bashing (by some)
Saying what a stupid idea that was.  But it seems (from the past couple of pages of comments) a lot of people are just NOW finding out about Cakewalk's demise.  And who knows how many more customers still don't know.
A simple mass mailing to all of Cakewalk's customers would have gone a long way to get the word out.
Not everyone visits this forum on a regular basis.
And for those of you that berated my original post as being a "dumb idea", I believe your opinions are uncalled for and quite incorrect.  Clearly a lot of customers are still in the dark about Cakewalk's closing shop.

Which still leaves the question open, Why didn't Cakewalk inform it's users in a more formal, professional way?
Most of us found out about it on social media and user forums, such as this one.  NOT a good way to announce the closure of a longtime, well established music software production company.

Lee Shapiro
www.soundclick.com/leeshapiro

Welcome BandLab and thank you for giving Cakewalk and Sonar a new lease on life.
michael diemer
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1128
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/29 18:26:16 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby markcpaxton 2017/12/30 01:45:34
sharke
disdisley
i've only just found out 
why was we not informed ????
who will refund my purchases for plug ins and so on i've brought over the last month ?
and now i can not upgrade 
this is criminal scamming 

Question: are the plugins you bought locked into Sonar or can you use them in other DAW's? If you can use them in other DAW's then you absolutely most certainly did not get ripped off and no refunds are forthcoming. Even if they are only usable in Sonar, then I didn't read the part where your copy of Sonar has become disabled and you are no longer able to make music with it. 

Honesty people need to calm down with the drama. 

It seems like comments have sorted themselves into two camps. On the one hand you have the "Let me first say that I've used Cakewalk since the DOS floppy days, in fact here's a photo of my discs...." type posts, on the other you have "F&#^#^$! This is a scam and a ripoff and so help me god I will unleash the full fury of a UN taskforce upon Cakewalk and Gibson if they do not refund me in full and apologize for going out of business!" 

There are two reasons people are upset. First, they're upset about feeling like they got ripped off with the now obviously bogus lifetime update scheme. Who wouldn't be? But there's nothing to be done about that; they were taken advantage of by a company desperate to stay in business. Nothing to be done about that but accept it and move on. No class action suit is going to be filed. 

Second, people are upset about the loss of a great software program, which did not have to happen. and should not have happened. Cakewalk should not have been sacrificed to help stave off what may be inevitable bankruptcy by Gibson. That was uncalled for. The loyal customers should not suffer because of their poor management. Unfortunately, while highly unethical, there is also nothing illegal here either. So, again, only thing to do is accept it and move on. Or, stay with your favorite stable version of sonar as long as you can. 

I don't think anyone gains by being ridiculed for their legitimate feelings about what has happened. If it doesn't bother you, fine, say so. but don't put the rest of us down because we may have a different reaction. The thing about people is, we're not all the same. Everyone's are feelings are just as valid as yours. It would be a boring world if we were all robots which always reacted in the same predictable way. 

michael diemer
Intel Quad Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge
32 GB ram
1TB Western Digital Black X2
Microsoft Windows 7 Pro 64
UR22 interface
Bandlab Cakewalk/Sonar 8.5 Studio
GPO-EWQLSO Gold-Vienna SP ED-Cinematic Strings 2

eikelbijter
Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1002
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/29 20:19:20 (permalink)
Tom B
eikelbijter
Helped my good friend set up Studio One today; he's used Sonar from around version 4, with X1 the last version he's been on. He got on the crossgrade deal mainly to explore the CD Mastering environment.

Anyway, let me just say: it made me happy to be using Sonar, although the mastering thing IS very convenient. I will have to look into it more, but I couldn't even set up 'friendly' names for audio ins/outs, which at my buddy's place with 40 audio in sources is very unpleasant. The GUI is very 'loud' if that makes sense; too much info..... will have to explore.....

Eikelbijter,
I created a post in the Software forum which hopefully answers your question about setting up Studio One audio I/O.   See it here

I see...as I found out earlier (ignorance huh?) your post shows it ISN'T quite possible! It's a "per-song" config, for which of course a apply-template to new song approach can be used, but it's NOT the beautiful system Sonar has, where you set it once and forget about it. But thanks for the info anyway....

R

Xeon E3-1231V3, 16GB RAM, 480GB 840EVO SSD, MOTU 2480MK3, 424PCI w/ Sonar Platinum
Dell XPS 18, i5, 12GB RAM, 500GB SSD+128GB SSD, Roland VS-100 w/ Sonar Platinum

Dell XPS 13, i5, 8GB RAM, 256GB 840EVO SSD, Zoom UAC-2, Sonar Platinum

http://www.RicoBelled.com/

Fishmed
  • Total Posts : 20
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/29 22:44:57 (permalink)
markcpaxton
Incredible. I had to read about this on the Overloud website and could not believe it, and immediately did a search and found this post. I guess it would have been too much to expect an email to registered users. You folks certainly knew how to email me when you were trying to sell something. I am floored and a little angry, as well as sad for the people who are now kicked to the curb and without a job.

Like many others, I have owned nearly all of the versions of Cakewalk software for nearly 30 years (even during those early days when others were dismissing it and DOS [and later Windows] as a non-musicians platform). I have to admit that for a brief instant when offered the lifetime updates option, I wondered whether this was a lame attempt to suck in a bunch of cash into a company that was getting ready to bale or knew it was beginning to have issues (I should have researched this further), but my overall love for the products and the people that clearly put their hearts and souls into what they created allowed me to push that cynicism aside and I foolishly sent in money only to find that a "lifetime" really meant they were planning on leaving by the back door as soon as the check cleared. I should have started looking for a replacement then.

Would be interested in hearing about alternatives... 

Happy holidays and a safe and happy new year. 

I too just learned about this today as I was reading a post at Sweetwater. I am also a long time user of the Cakewalk products, starting with Cakewalk Pro 3 back in the early 90's. I bought the "Lifetime" plan and am not too happy with the lack of customer loyalty rewards with Gibson. I understand business, but taking care of your customers is key to STAYING in business. I would love to see them add full licenses of the Cakewalk plugins and synths to those that put their faith in the product and company as they purchase the lifetime plan. This would at least show some thankfulness to us for supporting the company.

My heartfelt thanks to all those that worked effortlessly on this system and Godspeed in your next endeavor.
MMontgomery
  • Total Posts : 29
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/29 23:18:41 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ttoz 2018/01/04 19:21:31
Whoever is online and moderating/removing my posts, please DM me. Thank You 
MMontgomery
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/29 23:24:10 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ttoz 2018/01/04 19:22:03
I'll try this again! As both my new thread and the post have been removed. This is important and I feel it deserves to be viewed and forum users/Sonar customers input. If you are to remove my post, please send me an explanation via PM.

ORIGINAL POST
As customers, some who are professionals, others using the software in education or for personal use, I feel there is now a need to make a formal request for Cakewalk to take the steps necessary to allow offline, permanent activation of the software. Cakewalk/Gibson have given little detail about the future timeline and our ability to continue using the software. Personally I find that unacceptable and unprofessional. I appreciate the company may, at this time be unsure of how long the servers will be online. Unfortunately I'm unable to accept that situation. It directly effects my ability to continue my own project and to plan ahead in the confidence that I'll be able to finish it uninterrupted.
I applied for and gained access to grant funding for my project. I need the assurance that I'll be able to complete it and the only way to do that is to have my copy of Sonar activated and fully operational offline.

Please let me know if anyone else would consider joining me in making a formal approach to the company. I'd like to request this situation is resolved before the 15th January 2018. 

Thank you

deswind
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 952
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/29 23:59:35 (permalink)
I join you. 

MMontgomery
I'll try this again! As both my new thread and the post have been removed. This is important and I feel it deserves to be viewed and forum users/Sonar customers input. If you are to remove my post, please send me an explanation via PM.

ORIGINAL POST
As customers, some who are professionals, others using the software in education or for personal use, I feel there is now a need to make a formal request for Cakewalk to take the steps necessary to allow offline, permanent activation of the software. Cakewalk/Gibson have given little detail about the future timeline and our ability to continue using the software. Personally I find that unacceptable and unprofessional. I appreciate the company may, at this time be unsure of how long the servers will be online. Unfortunately I'm unable to accept that situation. It directly effects my ability to continue my own project and to plan ahead in the confidence that I'll be able to finish it uninterrupted.
I applied for and gained access to grant funding for my project. I need the assurance that I'll be able to complete it and the only way to do that is to have my copy of Sonar activated and fully operational offline.

Please let me know if anyone else would consider joining me in making a formal approach to the company. I'd like to request this situation is resolved before the 15th January 2018. 

Thank you

Karyn
Ma-Ma
  • Total Posts : 9200
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/30 00:15:31 (permalink)
MMontgomery
Cakewalk/Gibson have given little detail about the future timeline and our ability to continue using the software. 

It is made clear in the OP of this thread that the authorisation servers will remain active for the foreseeable future and that in the event of them being shut down a permanent authorisation code will be made available.  There isn't really much more detail that could be given.

Mekashi Futo
Get 10% off all Waves plugins.
Current DAW.  i7-950, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, 12Gb RAM, 1Tb SSD, 2x2Tb HDD, nVidia GTX 260, Antec 1000W psu, Win7 64bit, Studio 192, Digimax FS, KRK RP8G2, Sonar Platinum

MMontgomery
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/30 00:30:29 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby embersofautumn 2017/12/30 03:30:02
Karyn
MMontgomery
Cakewalk/Gibson have given little detail about the future timeline and our ability to continue using the software. 

It is made clear in the OP of this thread that the authorisation servers will remain active for the foreseeable future and that in the event of them being shut down a permanent authorisation code will be made available.  There isn't really much more detail that could be given.

I am not in any need of, or require any more details. I do however have a project schedule and simply can't allow the timeline to be interrupted. I do not accept the "foreseeable future" explanation or trust that assurance. The company surely has a duty to let us know they are working on, or have in place a system of permanent authorisation ready to roll out. Instead of have us waiting, take the decision to offer the codes and take the servers down on a specific date. We are left in limbo and with no clear explanation, it's simply intolerable.        
mumpcake
Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1609
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/30 00:47:07 (permalink)
They really don't have a duty to do any of the above, which is why you are right not to trust their assurances.
deswind
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 952
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/30 01:18:52 (permalink)
How long is the foreseeable future?  What was foreseeable is what should have applied to buying lifelong updates.

This could be more specific.  How about a 90 day notice prior to any  decision not to maintain or turnoff of the authorization server?  Is that too much to ask?
violaplayer
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/30 02:49:21 (permalink)
Hi,
OK, it might be futile, but there is a petition with the idea that potentially could benefit everyone, incl Microsoft. 
Microsoft. Please rescue Cakewalk and Sonar out of Gibson.

https://www.ipetitions.com/petition/microsoft-please-rescue-cakewalk-and-sonar-out-of

It costs nothing to sign this and it could be of a great consequence to us...

(sorry, the system doesn't seem to let me post any hyperlinks. I should be grateful if anybody would repost the link, thanks) 

embersofautumn
  • Total Posts : 16
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/30 03:46:52 (permalink)
The
MMontgomery
Karyn
MMontgomery

I am not in any need of, or require any more details. I do however have a project schedule and simply can't allow the timeline to be interrupted. I do not accept the "foreseeable future" explanation or trust that assurance. The company surely has a duty to let us know they are working on, or have in place a system of permanent authorisation ready to roll out. Instead of have us waiting, take the decision to offer the codes and take the servers down on a specific date. We are left in limbo and with no clear explanation, it's simply intolerable.        

The entire scenario emits an air of desperation over planning. I simply cannot accept that executives, lawyers and accountants spent months planning the Cakewalk termination without once asking, "Hey, what about all the users?" I think they did ask - and answer:  "How cheap can we get out of this?"

If Gibson Brands files for bankruptcy, other creditors will certainly push our concerns to the rear.  Perhaps that is the "foreseeable future" promised by Gibson.  I suggest we make a formal, legal claim sooner rather than later.   And as long as I'm reading tea leaves, I suspect Gibson has already drawn up a plan to submit to a bankruptcy judge.

johne53
  • Total Posts : 7
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/30 09:03:44 (permalink)
violaplayer
OK, it might be futile, but there is a petition with the idea that potentially could benefit everyone, incl Microsoft. 

https://www.ipetitions.com/petition/microsoft-please-rescue-cakewalk-and-sonar-out-of

Maybe it'd complicate the petition but I wonder why it's solely aimed at Microsoft? In the past, SSL have been strong sponsors of 3rd party DAW's - as has the SAE Institute (School of Audio Engineering).
disdisley
  • Total Posts : 5
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/30 16:53:29 (permalink)
i've paid a yearly subscription which ends at the end of the month and i'm not sure how this will pan out
with no information about how to go about this 
its very very sad news
the announcement was made 21 Nov i had no clue until a few days ago only by trying to subscribe again for an year
just think its wrong the way things are  
chuckebaby
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13146
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/30 17:00:14 (permalink)
disdisley

i've paid a yearly subscription which ends at the end of the month and i'm not sure how this will pan out
with no information about how to go about this 

How do you not follow the links on the first page of the very same thread you are commenting on ?
Go to the first page of this thread and follow the link in the FAQ:

" If you are on a rent-to-own plan and not have made 12 payments we have unlocked authorization so you can continue to use SONAR without interruption."

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

Andrzej Salm
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 94
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/30 18:28:13 (permalink)
This is some ****ty news... I learned about it just two days ago on Avid forums (sic!) where I was researching for my new audio interface.
Over 20 years with Cakewalk as my only DAW. At mid 40s I feel I'm getting too old to learn a new DAW from scratch. Being a hobbyist not a professional, I plan on using Sonar for as long as possible and when it gets killed for good by a Windows update I will simply sign myself out of the music world altogether.
RIP Cakewalk. F*ck Gibson.

Sonar Artist / Waves Gold Bundle / EZdrummer2
Win 10 Pro 64
i7-6700K / Asus Sabertooth Z170 Mark 1 / 16GB DDR4 3200 / Vega 64
Zoom UAC-2 / Avalon U5
Warwick Thumb 4BO
Andrzej Salm
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 94
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/30 19:01:21 (permalink)
violaplayer
Hi,

It costs nothing to sign this and it could be of a great consequence to us...

(sorry, the system doesn't seem to let me post any hyperlinks. I should be grateful if anybody would repost the link, thanks) 

I've signed the petition and would like to encourage others reading this thread to do the same. 864 signatures out of 1000 required, so it's getting close. Who knows?

Sonar Artist / Waves Gold Bundle / EZdrummer2
Win 10 Pro 64
i7-6700K / Asus Sabertooth Z170 Mark 1 / 16GB DDR4 3200 / Vega 64
Zoom UAC-2 / Avalon U5
Warwick Thumb 4BO
jamesg1213
  • Total Posts : 21760
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/30 19:07:10 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby sharke 2018/01/01 23:44:37
Andrzej Salm
This is some ****ty news... I learned about it just two days ago on Avid forums (sic!) where I was researching for my new audio interface.
Over 20 years with Cakewalk as my only DAW. At mid 40s I feel I'm getting too old to learn a new DAW from scratch. Being a hobbyist not a professional, I plan on using Sonar for as long as possible and when it gets killed for good by a Windows update I will simply sign myself out of the music world altogether.

Mid '40s?? I'm 57 and quite prepared to learn a new DAW. How different can it be? You either want to record music or you don't.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
SandlinJohn
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 188
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/30 19:17:52 (permalink)
Andrzej Salm

The way this all was handled seems extraordinarily inept - even for Gibson.

I built myself a new little computer just for SONAR. Like you I'm a hobbyist in the Music arena. The new computer as you can see in my "signature" is a Windows 7 Professional 64-bit micro-workstation. It's a little underpowered, so I'll have to keep the real time work simple. But that would be all I could do anyway!

Windows 7 pretty much only gets Security Updates now - but I still mostly keep the system offline. The only time it goes online is to update VST packages (new purchases). Then it gets a FULL System Anti-virus sweep. Once I'm happy with the updates, I also do a full System Image in case I do need to roll back.

I'm not letting any Windows update stop me from making Music - and you shouldn't either. Keep using SONAR as long as you can. If for some reason you reach a point you can't - there are Open-Source and otherwise inexpensive alternatives. Really, the only reason to need something like ProTools is if you are a Music Professional. I used the "Studio" or "Artist" or "Home" version of Cakewalk products for years. I upgraded to SONAR Platinum when they offered a "Loyalty" discount. I'd still be using X3 Studio, otherwise.

Gibson be damned - don't let them take your music away. Let your disgust and dismay at Gibson run it's course, and perhaps vow to never spend money on one of their products again, but don't drop Music. If you have to - go back to 4 Track Tape system (LOL - just kidding... maybe).

Persevere and persist - Music was meant to be played, so play it! 

Sonar Platinum, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, Intel NUC micro-workstation with 5th Gen Intel i5-5250U, 16 GB RAM and 1.25 TB Storage, Yamaha MG10XU Mixer USB Interface, Yamaha HPH-MT8 Monitor Headphones, Yamaha MX-49 controller synth
Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/30 21:07:09 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby chazband 2017/12/31 23:42:56
Andrzej Salm
At mid 40s I feel I'm getting too old to learn a new DAW from scratch. Being a hobbyist not a professional, I plan on using Sonar for as long as possible and when it gets killed for good by a Windows update I will simply sign myself out of the music world altogether.

Well I'm a Really Old Guy, and over the years, have reviewed every major DAW and needed to learn it. What you'll experience is that at first, everything will be crazy and unfamiliar. But then you'll find that doing the basics - record, mix, cut, paste, copy - is something you can figure out quickly, so you can get back to making music. Over time, you'll pick up the little things. When there's something you don't know how to do (or something you want to do), search the help files or documentation.

The fact that you've learned SONAR means you already know how DAWs work. They're not really that different at their cores. You just have to get past that initial "WTF is happening here?!!??!!??!" and then you'll be fine. You may even find it inspiring to try something new!

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
violaplayer
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/30 22:45:54 (permalink)
johne53
violaplayer

Maybe it'd complicate the petition but I wonder why it's solely aimed at Microsoft? In the past, SSL have been strong sponsors of 3rd party DAW's - as has the SAE Institute (School of Audio Engineering).

Thanks for your response. I totally agree that there might be some other companies/institutions that could save our favorite DAW and our comunity. However, I think that the petition's author(s) are correct to aim at one company per petition. A petition addressed to many companies really does not inspire any one company to respond. That's the way I feel.
Also, let's keep in mind that Sonar doesn't just need to be sponsored but firstly taken over from Gibson's accountants who currently seem to want to write it off without offering it for sale. A larger company might be more interested in buying a brand and with a community of users and actually have the pockets to get it done.

julesebbs007
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/30 23:27:31 (permalink)
I am gutted to hear this and feel sorry for all the guys whose jobs are now in jeopardy at Cakewalk. But also angry that my supposed 'lifetime subscription' is now defunct! I never expected it to last my lifetime but slightly longer than a few months!! I am upgrading my studio pc this year and as I've been a Cakewalk user for over 20 years do not really want to change DAWs but see no alternative. Will the tied in subscriptions to melodyne, xln audio, etc still be valid? I really hope either a music or software company comes in to save this terrific company!!

Julian Ebbs 
Sonar Platinum (lifetime), Behringer XR18, Lexicon Omega, HP Core i5 Laptop, Yamaha MOXF6, Roland RD700SX, Korg M1
KidRob
  • Total Posts : 5
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/31 00:51:32 (permalink)
I have to say that I feel ripped off.  I just bought the Sonar Platinum package last year and I also purchased the "special promotion" of "Free Upgrades for Life".  Now they're ending the platform?

So I basically gave money for the "free upgrades for life" for nothing.  

Ripped off!
chuckebaby
  • Total Posts : 13146
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/31 02:32:27 (permalink)
Happy New year everyone.
post edited by chuckebaby - 2017/12/31 12:15:18

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

midist
  • Total Posts : 35
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/31 09:32:59 (permalink)
I have been a user of Cakewalk, from Cakewalk 3.0 to Sonar Platinum for more about 20 years. And I have written many books for cakewalk's softwares. In these days, I determined to use other sequencers to teach my teachers. But I always feel that Sonar is the best sequncer for MIDI arranging, especially for orchestration. I love the multitrack MIDI editing function of sonar. 
I pray any other company can meet the cakewalk team, Although they are chinese or japanese or others.
Thank you, dear Cakewalk family.
Mad_Musicologist
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 118
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/31 14:04:46 (permalink)
disdisley
i've only just found out 
why was we not informed ????
who will refund my purchases for plug ins and so on i've brought over the last month ?
and now i can not upgrade 
this is criminal scamming 

It is not really a consolation for the immense loss for all of us, but I successfully claimed refund for the last year of rolling updates I had purchased in Sept. this year.
They returned to me the full price for that subscription.
Nevertheless my thoughts and feelings are with "The Bakers", who have lost their place, and most possibly their earnings, and must watch how Cakewalk with all its excellent products will "become older" now every day until being so outdated that it will be an item for an IT-museum. How I wish for them that another company would be interested.
Not for Gibsons sake. Only for the sake of The Bakers and their tremendous work.
Page: << < ..4647484950.. > >> Showing page 46 of 59
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1