Helpful ReplyLockedCakewalk Announcement

Page: << < ..4142434445.. > >> Showing page 45 of 59
Author
MMontgomery
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 29
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/27 18:12:08 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ttoz 2017/12/27 22:59:58
As a new Sonar customer, only purchased and started learning the DAW within the past 4 months. I hope there's still access to Cake TV and other support like the forum community in the future. If there is any plans to start a new Hub or area online where newbies like me can still rack the brains of seasoned Sonar users, I'd love to be kept in the loop. 
Cheers  
pwalpwal
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3249
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/27 18:38:20 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ttoz 2017/12/27 22:59:59
i wonder if there'll ever be an official "follow up" announcement?

just a sec

SandlinJohn
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 188
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/27 19:49:10 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ttoz 2017/12/27 23:00:06
MMontgomery
As a new Sonar customer, only purchased and started learning the DAW within the past 4 months. I hope there's still access to Cake TV and other support like the forum community in the future. If there is any plans to start a new Hub or area online where newbies like me can still rack the brains of seasoned Sonar users, I'd love to be kept in the loop. 
Cheers  

I'm pretty sure most of what was CakeTV is on YouTube. Cancelling that won't save them money, so that may actually be around awhile. You probably should check that out though just in case.

Sonar Platinum, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, Intel NUC micro-workstation with 5th Gen Intel i5-5250U, 16 GB RAM and 1.25 TB Storage, Yamaha MG10XU Mixer USB Interface, Yamaha HPH-MT8 Monitor Headphones, Yamaha MX-49 controller synth
eikelbijter
Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1002
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/27 19:56:40 (permalink)
Matron Landslide
eikelbijter
Helped my good friend set up Studio One today; he's used Sonar from around version 4, with X1 the last version he's been on. He got on the crossgrade deal mainly to explore the CD Mastering environment.

Anyway, let me just say: it made me happy to be using Sonar, although the mastering thing IS very convenient. I will have to look into it more, but I couldn't even set up 'friendly' names for audio ins/outs, which at my buddy's place with 40 audio in sources is very unpleasant. The GUI is very 'loud' if that makes sense; too much info..... will have to explore.....

Of course you can. Just because you don't know how to use something doesn't mean it can't do it. Don't confuse ignorance with fact. I been using Studio One since v3 came out, there is no way in hell I'd ever go back to SONAR even if it wasn't dead in the water.

Well sir, then why don't you tell me how to do it and help someone instead of being snide? BTW, I said "I couldn't" not "it can't be done"! But anyways, I just tried to find out but can't find any info on it, and I don't mean setting up templates and all of that, but actually giving friendly names to the ins and outs like Sonar so wonderfully supports so any NEW project or template you make allows you to choose from those names and not the standard one supplied by the hardware.

R

Xeon E3-1231V3, 16GB RAM, 480GB 840EVO SSD, MOTU 2480MK3, 424PCI w/ Sonar Platinum
Dell XPS 18, i5, 12GB RAM, 500GB SSD+128GB SSD, Roland VS-100 w/ Sonar Platinum

Dell XPS 13, i5, 8GB RAM, 256GB 840EVO SSD, Zoom UAC-2, Sonar Platinum

http://www.RicoBelled.com/

daveny5
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 16934
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/27 20:10:30 (permalink)
gunrunner15
I found a boxed retail version of Sonar Artist in a store and I would like to buy it.  Would I be able to still
activate it, re-install it when necessary, and use it for many years into the future?    

I wouldn't. 

Dave
Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
julianochrisway
  • Total Posts : 36
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/27 22:05:58 (permalink)
It's scary that guys buy a company the size of Cakewalk a company that has over 30 years of life and just shut the doors rather than sell. I can't understand what these people want? Sell it and let the guys move on, they're destroying the studio structure of several people.

As for me, I would love Cubase but I found it too expensive for me. That end of Cakewalk broke me I spent a lot of money with plug-ins etc. This time I go to a DAW that is just growing and getting more and more customers and earning almost all and poll I see. I'll invest in FL Studio, simply because it's a DAW that runs on the outside, innovates, and has nothing to do with Sonar. The guys have the way to do things the way they do, and really liked the prices and the plug-ins they offer. I was able to associate quickly with the DAW and it is quite powerful, modern and always evolving in stride. But I will continue using my beloved Sonar Platinum, I have an album to finish and I will finish it and maybe a couple of tracks I will do already in FL. For those who do not know the Reaper is also great, easy and without headaches. Studio One I'm going to use it again let's see if I like it again, I don't know I'm going to invest money.

As far as that's concerned, this disgusting Gibson doesn't sell Cake to a real company! I haven't lost hope yet.
Tom B
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 107
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/27 23:13:34 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby dubdisciple 2017/12/28 02:33:24
eikelbijter
Helped my good friend set up Studio One today; he's used Sonar from around version 4, with X1 the last version he's been on. He got on the crossgrade deal mainly to explore the CD Mastering environment.

Anyway, let me just say: it made me happy to be using Sonar, although the mastering thing IS very convenient. I will have to look into it more, but I couldn't even set up 'friendly' names for audio ins/outs, which at my buddy's place with 40 audio in sources is very unpleasant. The GUI is very 'loud' if that makes sense; too much info..... will have to explore.....

Eikelbijter,
I created a post in the Software forum which hopefully answers your question about setting up Studio One audio I/O.   See it here

- Tom B.
See the new Cakewalk by Bandlab Forum - Jan 2019.
rfssongs
  • Total Posts : 7
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/28 00:41:36 (permalink)
With almost 1,000 recordings & 27 years on cakewalk I don't even know how to begin saving everything I've done to make it portable. I can only say that Gibson will never recover from this in my eyes.
PVAudio
  • Total Posts : 6
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/28 01:03:40 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby cool 2017/12/28 13:27:56
Pretty Sad!  But after using Twelve Tone Systems' Cakewalk 2 back in the '80's (MIDI only) through Cakewalk Pro Audio and on to Sonar 8.5, I found it more and more cumbersome.  Mike Senior (Sound on Sound) suggested REAPER to me eight years ago and within a week I was zipping through tracking and mixing faster than Sonar ever worked for me.  The audio quality (64 bit internally) and flexibility (route any audio and/or MIDI from any track to any track, make up your own bus structure if you want, use any track for MIDI, audio or even both at the same time, control any plugin parameter with MIDI or audio from the same track or from another track, etc.) sold me very quickly.  Took me all of 15 minutes to create a "vocal rider" using REAPER's parameter modulation with an expander plugin.  

I still use a number of Cakewalk plugins - Dimension Pro, Rapture, Session Drummer 3, BeatScape, TL-64, TS-64, LP-64, Channel Tools, and even a few very old DXi FX like the Sonitus compressor, gate and EQ.  All work fine in REAPER.  As do the latest VST3 plugins, anything with side-chaining inputs, etc.   

I do wonder what will happen to TASCAM and KRK.  I have had excellent experience with both brands over the years, and still use a KRK sub in my studio.  At least there are many other good brands out there, so if Gibson wants to auger in, no wuckers!  Except if you thought you'd use Sonar for another twenty years!  
SandlinJohn
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 188
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/28 02:58:36 (permalink)
PVAudio
I do wonder what will happen to TASCAM and KRK.  I have had excellent experience with both brands over the years, and still use a KRK sub in my studio.  At least there are many other good brands out there, so if Gibson wants to auger in, no wuckers!  Except if you thought you'd use Sonar for another twenty years!  

You do have to wonder, since Gibson is proclaiming they are restructuring for "Consumer Electronics" and TASCAM is aimed more to ProSumer and Professionals.  Like Cakewalk was. And As KRK are.

Sonar Platinum, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, Intel NUC micro-workstation with 5th Gen Intel i5-5250U, 16 GB RAM and 1.25 TB Storage, Yamaha MG10XU Mixer USB Interface, Yamaha HPH-MT8 Monitor Headphones, Yamaha MX-49 controller synth
julianochrisway
  • Total Posts : 36
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/28 04:42:26 (permalink)
With Sonar I created my own effects racks with FX Chain. The Prochannel I was completely used to with these tools. I will still use sonar for a long time, but as I was already studying other DAWs and I teaching with sonar, I have redirected my students ' studies to another more Popular DAW. Even in the poll of the MUSIC RADAR. FL Studio won as best DAW of the year and second stayed Ableton Live the Dear Sonar was in eighth (ProTools stayed ninth).

See the complete list just below, may not be important to some, but lately in all the polls lately I see the FL winning the duels, the latest version is really amazing:  musicradar.com/tuition/tech/the-20-best-daw-software-apps-in-the-world-today-238905

Steev
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 314
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/28 13:59:26 (permalink)
I think sensible people will stay where they are. I still have a 10-12 year old dinosaur machine running SONAR 8.5 PE on Win XPee which shows no signs of falling apart, however truth be told it's rather slow and cumbersome by comparison..

The fact is simply, we have no facts on the fate of future SONAR development based on Gibson's cloak of secrecy.
 Personally, with all the built in tools, bells, and whistles already developed and incorporated into SONAR, I can't honestly see how Cakewalk could even make it better, more stable, and more powerful then it already is.

Another fact is conspiracy theories built on mere assumptions are only going to push us farther off course of reaching our goals.
 Switching over and starting over with all the hurtles of a new learning curve required to use and actually understand another DAW with any fluidity and ease of familiarity could honestly take decades.
 That just seems like an ENORMOUS waste of time to me which could be dedicated to making music

And there is NOTHING to suggest that the latest version of what ever Cakewalk software you are currently using won't still be up and running providing you with the tools you need and are used to working with.

I'd also like to point out that in the past year that MAGIX bought out SONY software, and literally buried ACID, Sound Forge, and Vegas so deep in the bowels of their servers that you can't even pump air into them..
 I gave up jumping thru hoops trying to even find out how much an upgrade from Vegas Pro 11 to VP 14 would cost.. After surfing thru page after page on the MAGIX website, all directing my attention towards MAGIX's wonderful world of NLE's for video editing, I finally got to a page with an email address informing me to manually COPY & PASTE the email addy into my personal email client and write them a personal email for a request for a special upgrade price.. VERY special price indeed, like x3 what Sony used to charge.
But no matter, as it turns out VP 11 works great (as does all previous versions of Vegas, ACID, and Sound Forge do on Windows 10) and so I saved myself several hundred dollars and only thing I've noticed different about VP 14 is a shinier new grill on the GUI..
 I'd also like to point out although MAGIX flatly refuses to support any and all but the most current versions of their software.

Since day one starting from the earliest days of development from the original creators Sonic Foundry, Vegas, ACID, and Sound Forge always required on line activation after installing to unlock them.
 And even though MAGIX refuses to support them, they don't refuse on line activation, and I couldn't possibly assume or even entertain the thought that Gibson would either.
 Not because they are a bunch of nice guys, or aren't for that matter, because it's would be an open blatant breech of contract. IT'S AGAINST THE LAW.

Couple more things to consider while morning the closing of the Cakewalk Store, you can still purchase it from on line retailers like Sweetwater.
 You could also still purchase a brand new license for ACID Pro 7 which hasn't been in development for over a decade now, not because it was obsolete, because Sony couldn't find any realistic way to improve upon it!

So if I'm going to assume anything, I will be assuming Gibson could very possibly feel the same way about spending millions on SONAR development and could very possibly feel that OVER developing SONAR is very much on par the same as over cooking a mouth watering juicy steak into a dried out chunk of old shoe..

Steev on Bandlab.com

Custom built workstation. Windows 10 Pro x64.

SONAR Platinum. Cakewalk by Bandlab.
Sony Sound Forge Pro 10, ACID Pro 7, Vegas Pro 11
Pro Tools.

ASRock 990FX mobo, AMD FX 8370 8-Core. 16 gb DDR3 PC1866 G Skill Ripjaws X RAM. AMD FirePro V4900 1gb DDR5 accelerated graphics card. 
Behringer X Touch DAW Controller
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 gen 2, OctoPre Mkll
Western Digital 500GB SSD bootdrive,  WD 500GB 10k rpm VelociRaptor for DAW projects . 2x1 TB WD Caviar Black SATA3 storage drives

LouSyracuse
  • Total Posts : 9
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/28 16:46:15 (permalink)
Wow.    I just logged in to get the latest Command Center after rebuilding my desktop computer and read the news.
Not the way I wanted to start my day....

I've been a customer of Cakewalk since version 1.1d, which I installed from a single 5 1/4" floppy.   I think my customer number was 75.   Pretty sure I still have a 3.5" disk with a beta of CakeMQX (Cakewalk Pro) on it.  I worked at a small music store in San Diego and we sold Cakewalk like it was soda, we could hardly keep it on the shelves!  I remember meeting Greg H. at the NAMM show in 1988, he never did tell us what the password was for the "View Memory Map" function.  LOL

I've skipped a few versions over the years, and am now running Sonar Artist.   Outside of Microsoft products, Cakewalk/Sonar is the only company whose software I've used for 30 years.  As I sit down to begin some new projects I can't help but wonder if I should look into other products.  Not Gibson.  Not Roland....    Whose left???

Thinking my next song is going to be a sad one.    Thanks for listening....
Lou

cincyjack
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 146
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/28 17:16:25 (permalink)
Au revoir, mon ami. 
I guess I'm one of the dinosaur users that doomed the DAW; user since the DOS days.
I've enjoyed watching the software evolve. It has been very good to me, save for that rough patch with X1, and even that seemed to be addressed pretty quickly.
I hate to see so much development go the way of the dodo, as well as a good bit of content. Reminds me of my Alchemy synth purchase. Enjoyed for a few months then poof! Consumed by Apple. In the case of Cakewalk, had a much longer run...
I was surprised to hear that Gibson was so deep in the hole, as well as the reddit comments regarding some less-than-stellar moves by Cake management. Woulda coulda shoulda... water over the dam at this juncture.
I installed the Studio One trial and in very short order was making sounds without consulting a manual. I'm sure it will take some getting used to and some time to come to grips with the new approach.
I'm hoping that the German Studio One team does not go the way of Cakewalk, bouncing from owner to owner until it's bounced into the bin. Gives one pause. Can't predict the future. Maybe a few key bakers can get on the Presonus team?
It's a cutthroat world with lots of competition.
I wish peace to the bakers and offer my thanks to the Sonar community for being so helpful over the years.

Jack
LittleWiggler
  • Total Posts : 29
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/28 17:33:02 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby pentimentosound 2017/12/28 18:10:45
Cakewalk will not be sold.  The value of the write-off of the book value (probably carried higher than what they paid with increments in 'good will') is probably worth more than a possible sale.

Without knowing specifics let's just say Cakewalk was carried on the books valued at $100M.  (simplified accounting ahead).

If they sold it for $50M the value of the write off is now reduced to a $50M good-will write off.  That also would probably not happen until 2018 - not helping 2017's financials. 

If you are a CEO/CFO and are having a bad year (Gibson is projected to lose a lot of money this year), and you are scrambling to refinance a large amount of debt, you want your balance sheet to look as good as possible.

In my theoretical example, if you are projected to lose $200M and can find a quick write-off (shutting down Cakewalk), that $200M loss suddenly reduces to $100M.  That transaction on the books would have to happen NOW in order to count for 2017. 

Real world  - the decision Gibson made was that the book value of the loss for 2017 was greater than the cash gained from a sale.

Ain't accounting great?
PVAudio
  • Total Posts : 6
Re: Cakewalk Announcement - Some More Observations 2017/12/28 18:14:51 (permalink)
I see MAGIX mentioned as another company that has 'trashed' some good software, and my experience with them has not been good (or even acceptable). I guess some companies have a death-wish and hope to disintegrate.  Too bad they end up hurting their customers. 

REAPER on the other hand has a vibrant user community, listens to inputs and updates each major version an average of 60-70 times!  In my experience I've never run into a bug, but some people with certain configurations have found a few.  The developers also add rather major enhancements in minor version updates on occasion.  I noticed that the Slant Community rates REAPER #2 and Sonar #9 in their Audio section on DAWs, and as a 'con' for Sonar they even note that Gibson is almost bankrupt.  They also correctly point out the steep learning curve of Sonar (after 21+ years of Cakewalk/Sonar use I still had to often hit the manual) and the extremely efficient coding in REAPER (the full install .exe for the 64 bit Windows version is less than 12 MB). One limitation of REAPER MIDI that has been brought up in the past was lack of a notation editor - this has been added in version 5 (I prefer to edit MIDI in a piano-roll editor myself). 

I also saw "Switching over and starting over with all the hurtles of a new learning curve required to use and actually understand another DAW with any fluidity and ease of familiarity could honestly take decades."  Certainly true for Sonar, but I found REAPER, as I mentioned, pretty intuitive, and so vastly flexible that I can't ever see using another DAW (though I do use a dedicated system for mastering, which should be a totally separate procedure anyway).

There is an updated 2017 SONAR to REAPER Quickstart Guiude (A Transition Guide for Cross-Graders) by Geoffrey Francis which can get you quickly REAPing ( ) and you can freely download the latest manual (also revised in December 1027) and even REAPER itself at the Cockos website.  BTW, I am not affiliated with Cockos in any way other than a frequent (daily!) user.  It's a corker of a DAW, just works and works, and vastly flexible. 

Whatever route you choose, sticking with Sonar and de-Internetting your computer (my audio systems are never online, never have been, work day in and day out with no glitches, never need virus/trojan fixes, never get those 'updates' that cause more problems than they solve, etc., etc.) or moving to another DAW, have an ace time with your music!   
Leee
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 783
Re: Cakewalk Announcement - Some More Observations 2017/12/28 18:53:39 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ttoz 2018/01/04 19:11:29
A bit off topic (sort of)... several people have mentioned Magix and how it acquired Sony software like Vegas.
To me, Vegas is the video equivalent to Sonar, as far as my favorite (and go-to) programs.  One to create music, and one to create and edit professional videos.

Comparing the two situations, even though Sonar has been abandoned, it still is extremely stable on my Windows 10 machine, including the use of all the various 3rd party plugins.
On the other hand, Magix has made Vegas Pro and Movie Studio a bug-ridden mess, that has so many problems including how it deals with 3rd party plugins.  Constant crashes, constant loading issues.  It is virtually unusable.
Which is a shame because I've use Sony Vegas for almost as long as I've been using Cakewalk products.

I just thought I'd mention this and to address all the people that are so worried about Sonar not being able to work properly any time soon.  By comparison, Sonar is rock solid and barely gives me any problems.  I use it on a daily basis and have written over 100 songs during the past 5 years.   While Vegas (which has never been totally rock solid, but at least used to be dependable to complete a project) ever since Magix took over, it's been a 50/50 chance of me getting through a single project without some kind of crash or lockup.  

So, I'm very thankful that Sonar was created so well, and is a program that is built to last.
Not forever obviously, nothing is.  But I have no doubt that the quality of workmanship that went into building Sonar Platinum will at least let it remain usable for many years to come.

Lee Shapiro
www.soundclick.com/leeshapiro

Welcome BandLab and thank you for giving Cakewalk and Sonar a new lease on life.
jimmitch
  • Total Posts : 44
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/28 18:55:04 (permalink)
I just got studio one 3 professional crossgrade for 149.99. from X3. I'm just getting into it and I think it's a winner.  I think that was great of them to give that price for a old program . I'm not sure if  Cubbase will give anything off from X3. 
disdisley
  • Total Posts : 5
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/28 19:01:35 (permalink)
Hi 
my subscription runs out next month and i was just about to renew it
have a collection of many plugins and so on that help me with my work 
will you be giving me a refund on any of these products now that i can not use sonar pro ???
i do not have the funds to rebuild with another software let alone learn it all over again
flamion
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 62
Re: Cakewalk Announcement - Some More Observations 2017/12/28 19:03:23 (permalink)
Very disappointed too ...

I made my update on October 24 and no one informed me about it !

I used for some Addictive drums 2 and it does not work anymore ...

The first plug in can be ?

I downloaded pro tools first to try but I do not have the partition and I work a lot with so I do not know too much ...
disdisley
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/28 19:07:38 (permalink)
tell me why you still have products up for sale ????
brconflict
Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1891
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/28 19:08:37 (permalink)
deswind
If every scatters to different DAWS, this will diminish the possibility of Sonar influences in the various DAWs. 
If everyone went to Cubase, perhaps there could be some influence on that program.

Just a thought.

I don't get the vibe that Steinberg connects with users unless the users are in the Pro markets. The vibe I get from them is very AVID.

Brian

Sonar Platinum, Steinberg Wavelab Pro 9, MOTU 24CoreIO w/ low-slew OP-AMP mods and BLA external clock, True P8, Audient ASP008, API 512c, Chandler Germ500, Summit 2ba-221, GAP Pre-73, Peluso 22251, Peluso 2247LE, Mackie HR824, Polk Audio SRS-SDA 2.3tl w/upgraded Soniccraft crossovers and Goertz cables, powered by Pass-X350. All wiring Star-Quad XLR or Monster Cable. Power by Monster Power Signature AVS2000 voltage stabilizer and Signature Pro Power 5100 PowerCenter on a 20A isolation shielded circuit.
ampfixer
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5508
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/28 19:12:46 (permalink)
disdisley
Hi 
will you be giving me a refund on any of these products now that i can not use sonar pro ???
i do not have the funds to rebuild with another software let alone learn it all over again

Based on the few comments from Cakewalk, you don't have to finish paying it off and you now own it. So use it as long as it runs if that's what you want.

Regards, John 
 I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
brconflict
Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1891
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/28 19:13:46 (permalink)
disdisley
Hi 

I think you should be able to use it indefinitely for free now that you own it. CW never went the subscription route. It's a payment plan to own the product. I plan to use Sonar Pro for a while longer because it takes me a long time to get savvy/comfortable with how other DAW's work. Even Studio One 3 requires a bigger learning curve than Sonar did. Plus, I can't get past their color scheme and 2D GUI.

Brian

Sonar Platinum, Steinberg Wavelab Pro 9, MOTU 24CoreIO w/ low-slew OP-AMP mods and BLA external clock, True P8, Audient ASP008, API 512c, Chandler Germ500, Summit 2ba-221, GAP Pre-73, Peluso 22251, Peluso 2247LE, Mackie HR824, Polk Audio SRS-SDA 2.3tl w/upgraded Soniccraft crossovers and Goertz cables, powered by Pass-X350. All wiring Star-Quad XLR or Monster Cable. Power by Monster Power Signature AVS2000 voltage stabilizer and Signature Pro Power 5100 PowerCenter on a 20A isolation shielded circuit.
anydmusic
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 251
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/28 19:49:55 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ttoz 2018/01/04 19:12:20
LouSyracuse
Wow.    I just logged in to get the latest Command Center after rebuilding my desktop computer and read the news.

The big unanswered question is how many users still don't know about the closure.

Graham
Windows 10 64 bit - Intel i7-4790, 16GB, 2 x 256GB SSD
Cubase 9.5
Sonar Platinum (Rapture Pro, Z3TA 2, CA2A, plus some other bits)
Delta 24/96, UAD 1, UA25 EX, 2 x MidiSport,
IKMultiMedia - (SampleTank 3, Miroslav 2, Syntronik, TRacks 5, Modo Bass), Band In A Box, Sound Quest, VS Pro, Kinetic, Acid, Sound Forge, Jammer
Waves MaxxVolume, IR 1, Aphex Enhancer, Abbey Plates
Korg Legacy, VStation, Bass Station
anydmusic
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 251
Re: Cakewalk Announcement - Some More Observations 2017/12/28 20:07:20 (permalink)
flamion
Very disappointed too ...

I made my update on October 24 and no one informed me about it !

I used for some Addictive drums 2 and it does not work anymore ...

The first plug in can be ?

I downloaded pro tools first to try but I do not have the partition and I work a lot with so I do not know too much ...

Addictive Drums may need reauthorising following a Windows update it is not tied to Sonar and will work in other DAWs.

Graham
Windows 10 64 bit - Intel i7-4790, 16GB, 2 x 256GB SSD
Cubase 9.5
Sonar Platinum (Rapture Pro, Z3TA 2, CA2A, plus some other bits)
Delta 24/96, UAD 1, UA25 EX, 2 x MidiSport,
IKMultiMedia - (SampleTank 3, Miroslav 2, Syntronik, TRacks 5, Modo Bass), Band In A Box, Sound Quest, VS Pro, Kinetic, Acid, Sound Forge, Jammer
Waves MaxxVolume, IR 1, Aphex Enhancer, Abbey Plates
Korg Legacy, VStation, Bass Station
disdisley
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/28 21:09:58 (permalink)
i don't understand this at all
the date on this post says the 21 November????
So can any one tell me why this was not sent out as an email ???
i have just paid for curtain plug ins and other stuff only to be told i can not upgrade
or renew 
for me this is the most criminal scam i've seen in a long time 
this is truly unfair 
and maybe breaking the law some where along the lines 
thanks a bunch

disdisley
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/28 21:15:36 (permalink)
i've only just found out 
why was we not informed ????
who will refund my purchases for plug ins and so on i've brought over the last month ?
and now i can not upgrade 
this is criminal scamming 
markcpaxton
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/28 22:13:55 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby taccess 2017/12/29 22:50:53
Incredible. I had to read about this on the Overloud website and could not believe it, and immediately did a search and found this post. I guess it would have been too much to expect an email to registered users. You folks certainly knew how to email me when you were trying to sell something. I am floored and a little angry, as well as sad for the people who are now kicked to the curb and without a job.

Like many others, I have owned nearly all of the versions of Cakewalk software for nearly 30 years (even during those early days when others were dismissing it and DOS [and later Windows] as a non-musicians platform). I have to admit that for a brief instant when offered the lifetime updates option, I wondered whether this was a lame attempt to suck in a bunch of cash into a company that was getting ready to bale or knew it was beginning to have issues (I should have researched this further), but my overall love for the products and the people that clearly put their hearts and souls into what they created allowed me to push that cynicism aside and I foolishly sent in money only to find that a "lifetime" really meant they were planning on leaving by the back door as soon as the check cleared. I should have started looking for a replacement then.

Would be interested in hearing about alternatives... 

Happy holidays and a safe and happy new year. 
sharke
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/29 02:04:10 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Bristol_Jonesey 2017/12/29 08:51:07
disdisley
i've only just found out 
why was we not informed ????
who will refund my purchases for plug ins and so on i've brought over the last month ?
and now i can not upgrade 
this is criminal scamming 

Question: are the plugins you bought locked into Sonar or can you use them in other DAW's? If you can use them in other DAW's then you absolutely most certainly did not get ripped off and no refunds are forthcoming. Even if they are only usable in Sonar, then I didn't read the part where your copy of Sonar has become disabled and you are no longer able to make music with it. 

Honesty people need to calm down with the drama. 

It seems like comments have sorted themselves into two camps. On the one hand you have the "Let me first say that I've used Cakewalk since the DOS floppy days, in fact here's a photo of my discs...." type posts, on the other you have "F&#^#^$! This is a scam and a ripoff and so help me god I will unleash the full fury of a UN taskforce upon Cakewalk and Gibson if they do not refund me in full and apologize for going out of business!" 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
Page: << < ..4142434445.. > >> Showing page 45 of 59
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1