Helpful ReplyLockedCakewalk Announcement

Page: << < ..4647484950.. > >> Showing page 49 of 59
Author
CakeAlexSHere
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 577
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/04 00:24:07 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby sharke 2018/01/04 00:37:40
Quite surprised people are STILL so worried about trashing Sonar. Really? It's a dead DAW, everybody knows it, time to realise none of this matters.

Any reputation it had (and imho outside these forums it's reputation was always a buggy DAW with a very dedicated fanbase) is null and void whatever opinion you hold.
sharke
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/04 00:37:01 (permalink)
deswind
Better the bugs you know than the ones yet to be encountered on another DAW.
I love Sonar and all its bugs.

Well, there are bugs and there are bugs. The kind of bugs that are just an annoyance and which can be worked around, I'll put up with those. Especially when I know there's a possibility of them getting fixed in the future (even though Sonar has a ton of those bugs which never got fixed despite being reported for years). On the other hand, there are the kind of catastrophic bugs which cause you to lose work, and which have no convenient workaround. Sonar has a few of those as well, and they'll never be fixed. 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
swamptooth
Max Output Level: -53 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2229
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/04 02:32:20 (permalink)
Ddamaged1
i don't understand why they force you to work the midi track by track

as opposed to seeing the whole midi score like you can in sonar's prv.. 

They don't...
You can

Arvid H. Peterson
Sonar X3E Prod / X2A  / X1PE | Cubase 9.5.1 | Reason 9.5 | Sibelius7 | Pure Data
Native-Instruments Komplete 10 Ultimate and a smattering of other plugins
Home-brewed VSTs 
Toshiba Satellite S855-S5378 (16GB RAM, modified with 2x 750GB HDDs, Windows 8.1 x64)  
Samson Graphite 49, M-Audio Oxygen 49, Korg nanoPAD2, Webcam motion tracking programs 
M-Audio Fast Track Ultra
Member, ASCAP   

anydmusic
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 251
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/04 08:45:54 (permalink)
stickin
Sadly...
So, now I am wondering how much of my investment in Sonar Platinum and related updates/instruments can be used with Cubase Pro?  And is Steinberg still offering crossgrade pricing for Sonar users?
(sorry if this has been asked already)

Steinberg just extended to 14th January.

Graham
Windows 10 64 bit - Intel i7-4790, 16GB, 2 x 256GB SSD
Cubase 9.5
Sonar Platinum (Rapture Pro, Z3TA 2, CA2A, plus some other bits)
Delta 24/96, UAD 1, UA25 EX, 2 x MidiSport,
IKMultiMedia - (SampleTank 3, Miroslav 2, Syntronik, TRacks 5, Modo Bass), Band In A Box, Sound Quest, VS Pro, Kinetic, Acid, Sound Forge, Jammer
Waves MaxxVolume, IR 1, Aphex Enhancer, Abbey Plates
Korg Legacy, VStation, Bass Station
chuckebaby
  • Total Posts : 13146
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/04 11:22:38 (permalink)
sharke
deswind

Well, there are bugs and there are bugs. The kind of bugs that are just an annoyance and which can be worked around, I'll put up with those. Especially when I know there's a possibility of them getting fixed in the future (even though Sonar has a ton of those bugs which never got fixed despite being reported for years). On the other hand, there are the kind of catastrophic bugs which cause you to lose work, and which have no convenient workaround. Sonar has a few of those as well, and they'll never be fixed. 

Sharke... come on now be real. If Sonar had that many bugs you would have been gone a long time ago. Matter of fact, you wouldn't be here right now. You'd be using that new "90% bug free" DAW of yours that you purchased with a cross grade offer.

Not everyone inserts 100 tracks in to their projects.
As a matter of fact, im guessing most of us here (75%) are amateur, hobbyists with about 10 - 40 tracks per project.
Sonar had many little quirks and it also had some long standing bugs But if it were really that bad with "catastrophic bugs" You would have been gone long ago and I would have been right behind you. We both would have been buying new DAW's.

Problem solving and trouble tracking (you and I both know very well) can have multiple factors. I might see a bug that you never will because of:
1-  Different hardware, Control surface device
2- I may never use that function the same way you do.
3- I may have a plug in you do not.

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

pwalpwal
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3249
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/04 11:32:33 (permalink)
i think the "deeper" you use sonar the more likely weirdness will start happening...

just a sec

johne53
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/04 12:19:42 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby pwalpwal 2018/01/04 14:52:33
pwalpwal
i think the "deeper" you use sonar the more likely weirdness will start happening...

I've never known a DAW where that wasn't true !
jjj.fcc
  • Total Posts : 31
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/04 12:47:33 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby pwalpwal 2018/01/04 14:52:35
johne53
pwalpwal

I've never known a DAW where that wasn't true !

I've never known a COMPUTER PROGRAM where that wasn't true !
CakeAlexSHere
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/04 13:13:04 (permalink)
jjj.fcc

Tip. Don't fly planes.
jdandrea0633
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/04 14:24:22 (permalink)
I agree with the above comments, and add my sincere thanks to all those at CW who have been involved in any way with the development and the support that has brought us all this way.  I think I started being a CW user in the late 1990's with CW Pro 7.  Now am on CW Platinum latest (and now last?) version.  I'm totally stunned by the announcement after just catching up on the forum here and had NO idea what had been announced in Nov just a few weeks back.  Closing down doesn't seem like an option - not for any of you at CW, not for any of us at the user-creator level!  I mean what the...  it's taken me THIS LONG to just begin to really start learning to USE this incredible software!  We just CAN'T stop now!

My latest HW upgrades included a Presonus Studio 2/6 interface (sweet box!) and a new Acer i7/SSD laptop system (finally, a latency under 10-12ms!)  and as much as I dreaded the thought of having to use Win 10 Home with the Sonar Platinum, boy it all works GREAT.  And I've been a current subscriber to the CW updates, so I had finally felt good about having a studio system that was going to stay current, and hopefully stable.  Well, it is at least for now -  I'm wondering, with no more Sonar updates, will we begin to see issues as Windows keeps updating and potentially introduce something that CW won't be able to patch anymore....  the uncertainty of it all, the inability to get support or any new updates - is an incredible impact to us all.   (will this Forum platform remain here, so that we can at least help each other?)  For my two cents about this - I hope that things can still turn around for CW and that a rebound can happen.  If not right away, in some near future where the world becomes a more sane place... Thank you, CW staff, producers, managers, development and support staff at all levels.  Thank you for all these years where I was always proud to be a "Cakewalk" user and fan!
flamion
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 62
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/04 14:50:38 (permalink)
Excusez-moi, je vais poster en français.

Est-ce que tout simplement le programme n'est pas aller jusqu'au bout de ce qu'on lui demandait de faire ?

Il est tout simplement parfait !

Après ce sera une question de plug-ins que l'on trouve pour tous les autres programmes, mais la base est là !

J'ai essayé depuis quelques semaines différents programmes pour trouver une alternative, (évidemment les versions LE) : aucun quoi-qu'on en dise n'est aussi abouti .

Pour ce qui est des buggs, j'ai remarqué qu'ils résultaient de drivers ou de matériel obsolète et non d'un dysfonctionnement du programme.

En tout cas vais garder Sonar le plus longtemps possible !!!

Traduit SGDG

Excuse me, I will post in French.

Is the program simply not going to the end of what it was asked to do?

He is simply perfect !

After this will be a question of plug-ins that we find for all other programs, but the base is there!

I have tried for several weeks programs to find an alternative, (obviously LE versions): no-what we say is also successful.

As for the buggs, I noticed that they were the result of drivers or obsolete hardware and not a malfunction of the program.

In any case will keep Sonar as long as possible!
CakeAlexSHere
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/04 15:16:06 (permalink)
flamionAs for the buggs, I noticed that they were the result of drivers or obsolete hardware and not a malfunction of the program.

A lot of the time this is absolutely true.
But don't kid yourself Sonar has a LOT of bugs.

Anyway that discussion doesn't matter any more, it's just a pity it wasn't addressed (was ignored or rejected) when it did matter and there wasn't more transparency, maybe it would have been in a better situation to sell, then again perhaps not.
pwalpwal
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/04 15:21:02 (permalink)
CakeAlexSHere
jjj.fcc

Tip. Don't fly planes.

fwiw, i regularly thank the local deities i'm not involved with developing "life" software (medical, traffic, atc...)

just a sec

CoteRotie
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1112
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/04 15:26:13 (permalink)
CakeAlexSHere

But don't kid yourself Sonar has a LOT of bugs.

Not to say it was worse than any other DAW, but the above statement is true.  Just look at the list of bugs that were fixed with each of the monthly releases on the lifetime update plan.  I've come across numerous bugs that have nothing to do with plug-ins.  Sometimes they were bad enough to make the program unusable for certain things.  Overall, it was a great highly functional DAW, maybe the best but not perfect.

Wait, wait, what key is it in? 

GA-X58A-UD3 motherboard
Intel i7 950 CPU w/12 G RAM
ATI Radeon 4350 graphics
3 cats 1 crazydog
Lynx AES16/Aurora 8
SCA N72 J99 & A12 pres. Adam A7 Monitors
Win 10  
SONAR Platinum 64 bit 
sharke
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/04 16:31:06 (permalink)
chuckebaby
sharke
deswind

Sharke... come on now be real. If Sonar had that many bugs you would have been gone a long time ago. Matter of fact, you wouldn't be here right now. You'd be using that new "90% bug free" DAW of yours that you purchased with a cross grade offer.

Not everyone inserts 100 tracks in to their projects.
As a matter of fact, im guessing most of us here (75%) are amateur, hobbyists with about 10 - 40 tracks per project.
Sonar had many little quirks and it also had some long standing bugs But if it were really that bad with "catastrophic bugs" You would have been gone long ago and I would have been right behind you. We both would have been buying new DAW's.

Problem solving and trouble tracking (you and I both know very well) can have multiple factors. I might see a bug that you never will because of:
1-  Different hardware, Control surface device
2- I may never use that function the same way you do.
3- I may have a plug in you do not.

Sonar does have that many bugs, and I thought about jumping ship on a regular basis. I stuck at it though, mainly because a) I really like the workflow of Sonar (when you forget about these issues) and b) I lived in hope that these issues would one day get fixed. And that was the frustrating thing about beta testing. My testing account is full of problems that were never fixed because they were so weird that I couldn't formulate recipes for them. I'd send off a project and would hear back "we're not seeing this at our end" or whatever. The issue with the Quadcurve boosting random bands (reported by others) was a classic example, as is the ongoing issue with some plugins losing their settings. There is a ton of other weird stuff I see on a regular basis but could never formulate recipes for, like for instance sometimes I'll move a clip and when I release the mouse button, it jumps to another position. And a huge number of problems with automation lanes (including them going missing) which caused me intense frustration, ruined entire nights of creativity and caused me to lose work.  And other things which didn't cause crashes or loss of work but which caused serious problems nonetheless, like automation going out of sync with the playhead during looping, things like that. There were loads of stupid bugs which were reported thoroughly by users for years but which never got fixed. Things that really should have been fixed years ago. The MIDI crosstalk problems are such that I have seen projects get to the point where simply pressing one track's mute button can cause a kick drum to sound in a completely unrelated drum VSTi on another track. 

You're actually making my point for me in some respects. No, not everyone works with large, complex projects. But a DAW like Sonar should be able to handle them without issues, and if it doesn't then the DAW is problematic, period - regardless of how many people are having a good experience with smaller projects. 

Hardware has nothing to do with any of the issues which plagued me, and even if it did, why should it? There has always been a tendency on the Sonar forum to dismiss people's problems as being due to a particular hardware configuration that Sonar could not be blamed for, and I've even heard people cite hardware as a possibility for bugs that clearly had nothing whatsoever to do with hardware. 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
CakeAlexSHere
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/04 16:45:21 (permalink)
sharke There has always been a tendency on the Sonar forum to dismiss people's problems as being due to a particular hardware configuration that Sonar could not be blamed for, and I've even heard people cite hardware as a possibility for bugs that clearly had nothing whatsoever to do with hardware. 

May I add this would often be done by people who would have little technical expertise in the specific area they were talking about (made obvious by the way they wrote). Just because it was said by them (often a "trusted authority") was good enough reason for others to accept it and shut down others who could actually clearly demonstrate an actual issue, or at least show something that could not be ruled out.

Anyway... It's history.
chuckebaby
  • Total Posts : 13146
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/04 17:33:19 (permalink)
I will agree with you gents 100%. This software had bugs, quirks and things that made me scratch my head.
But I stuck with it because I've tried the alternatives, the work flow, the features and Sonar came out on top. Even for its quirks and bugs. it was worth the trade off.

If something is that bad, I don't stick around because I am hopeful that it might get fixed. Im frickin out of here.
Its as simple as that.
If something was "Catastrophic" That would only happen once because im not going to let it happen again. 
Im not waiting around for the next time.

Anyway, im still using sonar right now

Good luck to you guys no matter what you end up doing.
Be happy and find a new DAW if your unhappy. Life is too short to complain over something that's not being developed anymore.

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

flamion
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/04 18:29:31 (permalink)
J'ai eu un bug récurrent avec Sonar.
Impossible de comprendre ! Bien sur j'ai envoyé des messages au support en les maudissant et j'ai trouvé !
C'était tout simplement le clavier de l'ordinateur qui était trop vieux.
Je l'ai changé et plus de bugs !!!

Changez vos claviers ...

I had a recurring bug with Sonar.
Impossible to understand! Of course I sent messages to support by cursing them and I found!
It was simply the keyboard of the computer that was too old.
I changed it and more bugs !!!

Change your keyboards ...
pwalpwal
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/04 18:47:51 (permalink)
CakeAlexSHere
Anyway... It's history.

time to move on, eh?

just a sec

CakeAlexSHere
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/04 18:54:34 (permalink)
Yup :)
flamion
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/04 19:04:56 (permalink)
c'est dans les vieux pots qu'on fait la meilleur confiture !
mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/04 20:33:24 (permalink)
sharke

[...] I lived in hope that these issues would one day get fixed. [...]

This simple statement summarizes Gibson's business model and its vehement defense by the individuals that represented it here on the forum for the past few years. Everything shifted from "product in hand" to "buy it as is, and one day you might see what you were hoping for." Only in the software world can this ever fly, with the caveat of if it can lead to financial destruction or loss of life (those ones are pretty regulated).

Dumb anecdote from an SLT meeting (not Gibson nor Cakewalk, nor even a company in this industry) that I heard of years ago... When asked about what was being done to mitigate a risk, the business lead began with "We hope..." and was immediately interrupted by the senior member slamming his fist on the table and shouting, "Hope is a religious experience, not a business action!"

Two years ago I made the conscious decision to do what everyone is forced to do now; i.e., choosing the best version I have available and "locking it in time" so that all bugs are static and can be worked around in a static manner. Any massive gaps then get filled by third parties. From a time perspective, this was the best vehicle to maximize usage hours versus the "wtf was that?" moments. So much of what has occurred made the assumption that hobbyists (and I agree the majority of users probably are) have the time bandwidth to religiously read the forums and e-zines to keep up with changes and issues rather than using the program. Additionally, people who have grown accustomed to workarounds are often not capable of placing themselves in a new users shoes.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
backwoods
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2571
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/04 20:36:41 (permalink)
probably 95% of the users of all DAWs are hobbyists. One funny thing no one points out: everyone saying what a great and valuable feature and selling point this forum was.... fat lot of good that did-- maybe to the younger crowd the forum is a turnoff

GreenwoodStudios
  • Total Posts : 24
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/04 20:47:04 (permalink)
Tried to start a new thread, but after four attempts I’ll just leave this here:

https://www.roland.com/Ro.../pdf/2013/20130924.pdf
Kamm Schreiner
  • Total Posts : 46
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/05 01:22:05 (permalink)
dafunk104
If Gibson is not going to do anything then maybe they would not mind turning it into an open source project.

Although I understand the desire for this, what nobody seems to realize is that if a powerful DAW like Sonar became open source, it would put all the other DAWs (and their employees) out of business. Who'd pay for Cubase or Logic or Ableton or Studio One when they could get Sonar for free? No one. As a programmer myself and someone that thinks a programmer should get paid for his work, I think open sourcing Sonar would be a really, really bad idea.
CakeAlexSHere
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/05 01:35:46 (permalink)
dafunk104
If Gibson is not going to do anything then maybe they would not mind turning it into an open source project.

Kamm Schreiner
Although I understand the desire for this, what nobody seems to realize is that if a powerful DAW like Sonar became open source, it would put all the other DAWs (and their employees) out of business. Who'd pay for Cubase or Logic or Ableton or Studio One when they could get Sonar for free? No one. As a programmer myself and someone that thinks a programmer should get paid for his work, I think open sourcing Sonar would be a really, really bad idea.

Of course not, there are open source alternatives all over the internet. People need support as well that will never be free. There's also lots of paid software based on open source software bases.

Also who will maintain the code base for free? Some people will do tweaks but huge new features aren't going to happen without financial backing.

I certainly would pay for all those DAWs rather than use Sonar right now.

However I'd love to see it open source even with the third party code stripped out. Maybe something could be done.

The main issue with Sonar that will turn off open source devs is perhaps that it only runs on one OS.
msmcleod
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 920
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/05 01:46:47 (permalink)
Kamm Schreiner
dafunk104

I'm not convinced this would be the case, for a number of reasons:

1. There isn't one open source DAW that is in the top 10, and there's a fair few about that are actually ok.
2. There's still a stigma attached to open source, pretty much unfounded these days, but brands and commercial software carry weight.
3. Support is a huge part of using a software product. If you rely on your DAW for making a living you want support you can rely on. Not just bug fixes, or enhancements - you want to know there's someone at the end of a phone.
4. Would people who didn't use Sonar before because they had to pay for it suddenly switch if it became free? Sonar Artist was pretty much fully functional and VERY reasonably priced. Even SPLAT was much cheaper than Cubase or Pro Tools.

If Gibson did something like RedHat/CentOS where the program was open source, but you paid for the supported version that would be a great call (they could even charge for different levels of support), but I doubt if they'd go for it. Craig Anderton had some great ideas for additional income streams, but Gibson weren't interested.

My bet it Gibson is using Cakewalk as a tax wright-off. They won't make it open source as this will affect its value, and hence the amount of tax they can write off. Once they've benefited from the write-off, maybe they'd be open to ideas, but I suspect they've made their mind up and consider it dead unless a buyer comes along.

mumpcake
Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1609
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/05 04:39:45 (permalink)
That and there aren't enough people who are good enough to do that sort of programming and willing to do it without compensation.
vmw
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 140
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/05 05:39:44 (permalink)
Well from the various forums that I follow there appears to be a consensus, amongst both users and non users of Cakewalk products, which is a growing dislike for Gibson. They have in almost one voice stated they will never buy anything ever again with the name Gibson on it. Gibson have more than shot themselves in the foot, they appeared to have taken a fatal shot and limped into a hole, never to come out again. 
Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/05 08:12:14 (permalink)
CakeAlexSHere
Yup :)

"Time to move on" hopefully includes you, too. 

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Page: << < ..4647484950.. > >> Showing page 49 of 59
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1