Helpful ReplyLockedCakewalk Announcement

Page: << < ..4647484950.. > >> Showing page 47 of 59
Author
jjj.fcc
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 31
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/31 14:52:36 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby joel77 2018/01/06 23:08:09
After the bad news, I tried to install as many DAWs as possible (legally, of course). I have the last Sonar Professional, (not Platinum, 'cos I don't need the "extra" stuff). So... I've search for equally other "non-top-editions" DAWs...

My list:

Studio One 3 Artist (just updated - I've already have it);
Reaper (the only edition - I like that, somehow - still in "evaluation mode");
Samplitude Music Studio (Steam Edition);  
Mixcraft 8 Home Studio (also bought at Steam);
ACID Music Studio 10 (also bought at Steam);
Pro Tools First (free download).

Cubase could've been a choice, but is too expensive, for my needs...

Well... my impressions...

Studio One: lack of VST support... no way...
Pro Tools First: discarded... reasons: AAX only, "cloud" projects, limitations...
ACID: still trying, seems usable, but I don't like the "old look" interface (only positive aspect is that I'm used to Sound Forge, which is somewhat similar). Some of my favorite plugins failed to load.
Samplitude: The most complicated visual interface, for me... Seems that they wanted to put all stuff at the same time, same place... Anyway... still trying.
Mixcraft: I liked very much the look and feel. Easy to see and operate. But a lot of plugins didn't recognize! Still trying to fix that. If I can, it's a good choice!
Reaper: with a Sonar X1 theme, was the best so far. Almost everything in place and working.

But none is like Sonar... :(

(sorry for my english, if I made some mistake)
post edited by jjj.fcc - 2017/12/31 16:59:49
royarn
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 427
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/31 15:25:54 (permalink)
Happy new year to you all, like most here this forum will be missed when It goes.

Roy

INTEL HASWELL Core i5 4670K Z87-K MB, 16 gig DDR3 ram, 250 gig ssd 1 x 250 gig 1 x 1TB sata 2 drives,Faderport 1, Motif ES 6, Focusrite 8i6. Windows 10 64 bit. Sonar Platinum Lifetime Updates.CbB .
Zargg
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10666
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/31 17:12:08 (permalink)
chuckebaby
Happy New year everyone.

Happy New Year, mate

Ken Nilsen
Zargg
BBZ
Win 10 Pro X64, Cakewalk by Bandlab, SPlat X64, AMD AM3+ fx-8320, 16Gb RAM, RME Ucx (+ ARC), Tascam FW 1884, M-Audio Keystation 61es, *AKAI MPK Pro 25, *Softube Console1, Alesis DM6 USB, Maschine MkII
Laptop setup: Win 10 X64, i5 2.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 320gb 7200 RPM HD, Focusrite Solo, + *

daveny5
  • Total Posts : 16934
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/31 18:31:34 (permalink)
I just wrote iZoptope and asked them to consider taking on Cakewalk Sonar. They seem like a good company. I've used a few of their plug-ins. Coincidentally, they are in Cambridge, MA. Keep your fingers crossed!

Dave
Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
chuckebaby
  • Total Posts : 13146
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/31 21:50:01 (permalink)
daveny5
I just wrote iZoptope and asked them to consider taking on Cakewalk Sonar. They seem like a good company. I've used a few of their plug-ins. Coincidentally, they are in Cambridge, MA. Keep your fingers crossed!

I think the baggage that comes with Sonar is what would prevent anyone from buying the Sonar code and keeping it alive.
Its easier for Gibson to cut their losses and write off Cakewalk As a fail on their taxes than it would be to sell to someone like Izotope.
If it were that easy I would pony up the 10,000 dollars myself. Im guessing Gibson wants 100,000+ thousand dollars.
That's probably what they are getting as a failed business write off.

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

GreenwoodStudios
  • Total Posts : 24
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/31 22:38:57 (permalink)
This thread has hit a bump and is repeating itself.

If you read thru it clearly a lot of people are bummed out and is the last day of the year, let’s look back:

1) there’s seemingly no 2nd announcement forthcoming answering questions posed here. If anyone was still ‘in’ one would think some sort of update to the ‘status of’ would be presented.

2) how many emails did Cakewalk send ‘us’ with regularity, now there’s nothing. Brandon Ryan I believe stayed tight with Roland. Someone formerly within cake support who lost employement in Boston has told me some fellow former employees now work at iZoptope as well.

3) Considering how close Cakewalk and Intel worked in bring 64bit audio to life one would think that the people in those circles discussed buy/sell options of this ‘intellectual property’ over the course of the past decade.
IMHO if Microsoft wanted the bakers to ‘match’ GarageBand by Apple, it would have already be ~ no?

It seems that while this forum still exsists it’s purpose might be expanded to me. I can't see an email list being released by Gibson of Cakewalk users, it’s private info I believe but this forum can be helpful in getting the community elsewhere and somewhat intact.

Also it would be interesting to develop a list of what end users have found in terms of what Cakewalk products work elsewhere in other DAWs and what stuff fails to work.

Cheers & Stay Warm,
Happy New Year!
johne53
  • Total Posts : 7
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/01 08:07:20 (permalink)
daveny5

It'll be interesting to see if they respond. A few years ago I contacted Universal Audio (UAD) to see if they'd be interested in developing an own-brand DAW. But given that their plugins are used by other peoples' DAW'S, they didn't want to be seen as going into competition. One of my colleagues contacted Waves who took a different view. Waves are now marketing their Tracks Live DAW which is based on the same code used by Mixbus.

So different plugin manufacturers obviously have different viewpoints on this... Let us know if you get any response from iZotope.
penryn
  • Total Posts : 15
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/01 10:24:01 (permalink)
Happy new year to everyone. I'm disappointed to hear, that Sonar is dead. I think, it is the wrong decision by Gibbson. ****!

SONAR Platinum x64, Rapture Pro, MOTU MIDI micro Express, Access Virus KC, Waldorf Microwave XT, Alesis QS6, Yamaha MU90R
mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/01 10:57:28 (permalink)
I had asked iZotope about an in-house DAW almost a year ago now and got this response (March 2017):

"At this time there is not any plan to make a iZotope DAW but I would be happy to pass this on to our development team so they can take it into consideration in future product planning."

This was more a general question, but Spire was released after that response, so they did venture into new ground. Due to proximity between the two companies, I think it is more likely that iZotope adopt the bakers as individuals than "Cakewalk" as a company.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
jtendero@powerup.com.au
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/01 11:05:21 (permalink)
jjj.fcc

Studio One 3, the full version supports VSTs both ver 2 and 3. And it is available cheaply for Sonar users as a crossgrade. Studio One Artist is the low frills version.
igiwigi
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 437
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/01 11:32:51 (permalink)
Does not support SYS EX
JoseC.
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 471
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/01 12:45:55 (permalink)
igiwigi
Does not support SYS EX

Digital Performer does. Any info on how is the state of things with the Windows version?
johne53
  • Total Posts : 7
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/01 13:53:51 (permalink)
BTW - can anyone tell me how to set up email notifications here? I've set it up to send me an email whenever anyone replies to a thread I'm subscribed to - but it just doesn't work

I do get notified if another member marks my post as helpful - but not if someone simply replies to a post 
post edited by johne53 - 2018/01/01 15:28:53
zincplug
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/01 13:53:51 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby joel77 2018/01/06 23:13:44
We buy software online much of which is expensive all is contract to license and at the end of the day if this happens we have no protection, if we move somewhere else this could happen again and therefore we should be more selective and careful on what we buy, do I really need that plugin etc. I think myself am going to carry on using this DAW as long as I can we still have lots of equipment at our disposal, concentrate more on my music and when eventually this DAW goes out of date see whose left on the market
jjj.fcc
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/01 18:28:00 (permalink)
jtendero@powerup.com.au
Studio One 3, the full version supports VSTs both ver 2 and 3. And it is available cheaply for Sonar users as a crossgrade. Studio One Artist is the low frills version.

The "low frills version" of almost any DAW, including Music Creator, by Cakewalk, supports VST...
And S1 Artist is not the lower one from Presonus, it is like Sonar Professional, "middle" edition.
jjj.fcc
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/01 18:35:30 (permalink)
Everyday, I take a look at this topic, just to see if some little bit of reason reach the guys in charge of this issue at Gibson... I am still shocked how they just threw away one of the best music programs of all time, like that... How they let things get to this point...
LOSTinSWIRL
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 69
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/01 18:43:15 (permalink)
Anyone notice how the forum registered users gained about 3000 users in the last three weeks or so?
eric_peterson
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1103
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/01 18:59:03 (permalink)
I was STUNNED when I saw the posted message a few weeks ago, I'd been inactive on the forums.

I've used CW SW since I bought it from Greg Hendershot on floppies; back in the day when he was a one man show.  I can't believe that Gibson would just walk away from this instead of sell it, there must be a tax advantage. 

I took advantage of the cross-grades offered by two competitors and I'm scoping them out. 
  • I've been using Samplitude since it was "Red Roaster" but only to master CDs, not as my DAW.  So, that one has been upgraded to the latest and we'll see how I like it for multi-tracking, etc. 
  • I upgraded from the Studio One Artist that came with my mixers (that I never used) to Studio One 3 Professional.
Of the two, Samplitude seems the most powerful overall, given it is essentially the same program as Sequoia that makes sense. But, Studio One is "prettier" in the GUI department and feels more intuitive.

However, the jury is still out, and will be out for a long time due to my day job, kids, mortgage, reality.  Why? I can buy ten cross-grades if need be, but I cannot buy TIME to learn to drive them and set up templates, etc ... Given that I just get little holes here and there to "play" it was great to have a tool like SONAR that I knew so well in my kit bag. 

I'm left wondering if I should take my 20+ years of CW audio projects and export them as waves per track before they are un-openable. Hmmm ... That would take time, so it's not happening. I'll keep my old DAW PC around and will do that after I retire in 5 or 6 years. 
donbelisle
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 245
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/01 21:50:17 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Toddskins 2018/01/02 00:45:54
I will be running Sonar for a long, long time. I have added  3 others DAWs in my toolset, (already had DP9.5).
There is way to much be re-learning outside of Sonar. I don`t have that time available to
spend years mastering a new set of tools. So for a while, Sonar is still home for me.
The other DAWs have their strong points, but I know Sonar very well.

Happy New year to all of you. 
I have truly enjoyed reading everyone`s comments.  Many were so very helpful and fun. 
I hope Sonar re-surfaces somewhere.

The talent that went into it`s creation since conception from the 80`s until now, was inspiring to see from it`s humble
beginnings as a midi sequencer, to a full-up Audio DAW. There are times a "classic" is born, 
such as Sonar Platinum.   
Have wonderful year, to everyone.
DB 

DJ Belisle
i7, AMD 8 core 4Ghz, Intel Q9700 desktop in Gigabyte MBs using Gigabyte video cards, 8 Gig mem each, 12 TB drive space, Sonar 8.5.3, CbB, Platinum, Win 7, Win 10, Korg softsynths, UVI workstation, Izotope tools, ARC 2.2, Melodyne Studio 4, Motu MKIII, Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Dynaudio monitors.
sharke
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/02 00:02:43 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Kamm Schreiner 2018/01/02 02:04:48
michael diemer
sharke
disdisley
i've only just found out 
why was we not informed ????
who will refund my purchases for plug ins and so on i've brought over the last month ?
and now i can not upgrade 
this is criminal scamming 

Question: are the plugins you bought locked into Sonar or can you use them in other DAW's? If you can use them in other DAW's then you absolutely most certainly did not get ripped off and no refunds are forthcoming. Even if they are only usable in Sonar, then I didn't read the part where your copy of Sonar has become disabled and you are no longer able to make music with it. 

Honesty people need to calm down with the drama. 

It seems like comments have sorted themselves into two camps. On the one hand you have the "Let me first say that I've used Cakewalk since the DOS floppy days, in fact here's a photo of my discs...." type posts, on the other you have "F&#^#^$! This is a scam and a ripoff and so help me god I will unleash the full fury of a UN taskforce upon Cakewalk and Gibson if they do not refund me in full and apologize for going out of business!" 

There are two reasons people are upset. First, they're upset about feeling like they got ripped off with the now obviously bogus lifetime update scheme. Who wouldn't be? But there's nothing to be done about that; they were taken advantage of by a company desperate to stay in business. Nothing to be done about that but accept it and move on. No class action suit is going to be filed. 

Second, people are upset about the loss of a great software program, which did not have to happen. and should not have happened. Cakewalk should not have been sacrificed to help stave off what may be inevitable bankruptcy by Gibson. That was uncalled for. The loyal customers should not suffer because of their poor management. Unfortunately, while highly unethical, there is also nothing illegal here either. So, again, only thing to do is accept it and move on. Or, stay with your favorite stable version of sonar as long as you can. 

I don't think anyone gains by being ridiculed for their legitimate feelings about what has happened. If it doesn't bother you, fine, say so. but don't put the rest of us down because we may have a different reaction. The thing about people is, we're not all the same. Everyone's are feelings are just as valid as yours. It would be a boring world if we were all robots which always reacted in the same predictable way. 

First of all, the lifetime update offer was not "obviously bogus." Nobody in their right mind would ever think the offer meant updates for the remainder of their own lifetime. Unfortunately, from reading online threads about Cakewalk's demise, it seems that there are a surprising number of people who aren't in their right mind. The offer was clearly intended to give the participants updates for as long as Sonar was being developed. Companies go out of business. Therefore, anyone paying for lifetime offers was knowingly taking a risk. I didn't read the small print on the offer and I'm guessing very few people did - but I'm willing to bet that it stated the terms of this "lifetime offer" in very clear, unambiguous legal terms. We weren't ripped off by the offer, it's as simple as that. 

All companies will do whatever it takes to stay in business. No company is going to come out and say "folks, we're on the brink of bankruptcy" to their customers, not as long as there's a chance to turn things around. Doing so would cause everyone to get cold feet and abandon ship, almost guaranteeing immediate bankruptcy. Lifetime updates was floated as a plan to reverse Cakewalk's fortunes, and the idea was likely floated with the best of intentions - nobody intended to go out of business and nobody intended to rip anyone off. 

Any feeling could be described as "legitimate" simply by virtue of it having been felt by someone. The trouble is that feelings are frequently not based upon objective fact, or reasonable trains of thought, or even a rational set of values. For example, people "mourning" the loss of Sonar and acting like some tremendous tragedy has been inflicted upon them need to get a grip of their lives. You only have to turn on the news to realize how pathetic it is. Here in New York the other day there was an apartment fire which wiped out 12 people, some of them kids. When I read stories like that and then go online and read some of the self-centered, melodramatic rants people are posting about the news that some dispensable, replaceable piece of software will no longer receive updates, it kind of annoys me. I guess my feelings are legitimate too, yes? 

The bottom line is that Sonar was nowhere near popular enough to justify the development cost. And that's not Gibson's fault. 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
msmcleod
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 920
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/02 00:23:18 (permalink)
jtendero@powerup.com.au
jjj.fcc

You can also buy VST/Rewire support separately for Studio One Artist:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/S1VSTRewireExp

Personally, I'd go for the crossgrade while it's so cheap tho.
Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/02 00:47:49 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby SandlinJohn 2018/01/02 02:19:34
I have no inside track at Gibson any more, but when I was there, I noticed that if there was nothing to talk about there would be no talk. So if someone was in fact buying Cakewalk, I think we'd hear about it. On the other hand if Cakewalk was a dead issue, I also think we'd have a "The servers are shutting down on March 1" or whatever. All that Gibson has said is that there will be no more development on SONAR and that the servers would keep going for the foreseeable future, which gives the company a lot of leeway in how to proceed.

I also don't think this is necessarily a "digital situation" where 1 = Cakewalk survives, 0 = Cakewalk dies. Maybe some company would want the ProChannel plug-ins, which are excellent, and maybe Rapture - I still haven't seen any instrument that does what it can do. Or maybe a company will hire the developers to add SONAR features to their programs. Or maybe a giant meteor will hit the world and none of this will matter. We'll know when we know. 

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Toddskins
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 158
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/02 00:53:03 (permalink)
donbelisle
I will be running Sonar for a long, long time. I have added  3 others DAWs in my toolset, (already had DP9.5).
There is way to much be re-learning outside of Sonar. I don`t have that time available to
spend years mastering a new set of tools. So for a while, Sonar is still home for me.
The other DAWs have their strong points, but I know Sonar very well.

Happy New year to all of you. 
I have truly enjoyed reading everyone`s comments.  Many were so very helpful and fun. 
I hope Sonar re-surfaces somewhere.

The talent that went into it`s creation since conception from the 80`s until now, was inspiring to see from it`s humble
beginnings as a midi sequencer, to a full-up Audio DAW. There are times a "classic" is born, 
such as Sonar Platinum.   
Have wonderful year, to everyone.
DB 

I couldn't agree more.  If a tool works, it works.  Sonar has been improved countless times and for myself, at X3 Producer, it just made no sense for me to upgrade or change.  I understand that there were still things that people wished for (some nonexistent and some just overall improvements), but as far as I can see, I too will be using my Sonar X3 Producer for the next 20 years.

I said the same thing about Windows 7 and I refuse to change it.  I have Ghost copies of all my Windows 7 machines and see absolutely no reason to change.

The only thing I have nearly no knowledge of is how to Mix and Master like a real engineer, but I trust my ears and am able to read books and magazines.  I'll get there.
post edited by Toddskins - 2018/01/02 01:22:21
deswind
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 952
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/02 01:17:50 (permalink)

This is why I was thinking that if a lot of us went to Cubase, that maybe Cubase would pick up some of the Sonar engineers and use some of the features.

Best,
AB

Anderton
. Or maybe a company will hire the developers to add SONAR features to their programs. Or maybe a giant meteor will hit the world and none of this will matter. We'll know when we know. 

waynehuff@windstream.net
  • Total Posts : 3
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/02 02:03:55 (permalink)
Same here and not only the long process of learning a new DAW, but all the money I put into Sonar over the years and now starting over by forking out more big bucks to rebuild with a new DAW and plugins....Hoping another company will take over Cakewalk and keep it going, but if not I'm thinking about moving to Pro-Tools... 
michael diemer
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1128
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/02 03:01:06 (permalink)
Sharke said:

"Any feeling could be described as "legitimate" simply by virtue of it having been felt by someone. The trouble is that feelings are frequently not based upon objective fact, or reasonable trains of thought, or even a rational set of values. For example, people "mourning" the loss of Sonar and acting like some tremendous tragedy has been inflicted upon them need to get a grip of their lives. You only have to turn on the news to realize how pathetic it is. Here in New York the other day there was an apartment fire which wiped out 12 people, some of them kids. When I read stories like that and then go online and read some of the self-centered, melodramatic rants people are posting about the news that some dispensable, replaceable piece of software will no longer receive updates, it kind of annoys me. I guess my feelings are legitimate too, yes? "

Of Course feelings are not based on objective fact. They're feelings. They have little to do with "reasonable trains of thought, or even a rational set of values." Besides which, reasonable to whom? You? You are the standard by which others' feelings are to be judged? You determine what values are rational? Since you've got it all figured out, please let us in on the secret, so we can order, structure and reason our lives into perfectly rational trains of thought, and stop having these bothersome, irrational things called feelings. Sheesh. I would think that a musician, of all people, would not be one to lecture us like this. 

Your other points are valid. But you're way, way off base on this one.

michael diemer
Intel Quad Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge
32 GB ram
1TB Western Digital Black X2
Microsoft Windows 7 Pro 64
UR22 interface
Bandlab Cakewalk/Sonar 8.5 Studio
GPO-EWQLSO Gold-Vienna SP ED-Cinematic Strings 2

anydmusic
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 251
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/02 09:08:50 (permalink)
deswind

This is why I was thinking that if a lot of us went to Cubase, that maybe Cubase would pick up some of the Sonar engineers and use some of the features.

Best,
AB

Anderton
. Or maybe a company will hire the developers to add SONAR features to their programs. Or maybe a giant meteor will hit the world and none of this will matter. We'll know when we know. 

Personally if that had been my thought process I would have gone to Studio One and not Cubase because, as far as I can tell, Studio One's current user base is smaller than Cubase and more Sonar users seem to be choosing that option. 

Graham
Windows 10 64 bit - Intel i7-4790, 16GB, 2 x 256GB SSD
Cubase 9.5
Sonar Platinum (Rapture Pro, Z3TA 2, CA2A, plus some other bits)
Delta 24/96, UAD 1, UA25 EX, 2 x MidiSport,
IKMultiMedia - (SampleTank 3, Miroslav 2, Syntronik, TRacks 5, Modo Bass), Band In A Box, Sound Quest, VS Pro, Kinetic, Acid, Sound Forge, Jammer
Waves MaxxVolume, IR 1, Aphex Enhancer, Abbey Plates
Korg Legacy, VStation, Bass Station
jamesg1213
  • Total Posts : 21760
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/02 09:34:33 (permalink)
LOSTinSWIRL
Anyone notice how the forum registered users gained about 3000 users in the last three weeks or so?

Could be people that saw the news on the website and joined up to find out more. Could be spammers, I've seen quite a few of those lately.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
SandlinJohn
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 188
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/02 09:54:15 (permalink)
sharke

Any feeling could be described as "legitimate" simply by virtue of it having been felt by someone. The trouble is that feelings are frequently not based upon objective fact, or reasonable trains of thought, or even a rational set of values. For example, people "mourning" the loss of Sonar and acting like some tremendous tragedy has been inflicted upon them need to get a grip of their lives. You only have to turn on the news to realize how pathetic it is. Here in New York the other day there was an apartment fire which wiped out 12 people, some of them kids. When I read stories like that and then go online and read some of the self-centered, melodramatic rants people are posting about the news that some dispensable, replaceable piece of software will no longer receive updates, it kind of annoys me. I guess my feelings are legitimate too, yes? 

It is true there are worse things happening in the world. It is also true that people feel gutted by a rather cold impersonal decision to "kill" SONAR. I have invested almost thirty years using and understanding Cakewalk and SONAR. I'll grant that as a hobbyist user, I haven't spent the tens of thousands of hours a professional that spends their entire work day would have spent over that same time, but it is still mentally a significant investment of effort, and for a hobbyist, significant bit of money, too. I don't have a corporate bank account to use to purchase new software for my job.

I can't just shake off the feeling of loss from this just because there are worse things happening. Given that I don't have a source of income from making music and that I've retired from my "real" job, I also feel cut off and left out because the lifetime updates would have helped me be able to afford more plugins instead of spending that money to get a new version of what I already have. I will continue to use SONAR and probably also not invest in any new plugins. It is rational to feel loss at this time. I wouldn't call it a tragedy on the scale of Hurricane Harvey or Maria, but it isn't happiness and light, either.

Your opinion has been noted, but I don't need lectures telling me this isn't the end of the world and that my feelings are pointless (or at least, not rational).

The bottom line is that Sonar was nowhere near popular enough to justify the development cost. And that's not Gibson's fault. 

It could be partly Gibson's fault. If they had spent the effort over their tenure of ownership promoting Cakewalk products and integrating them into the TASCAM product line as they had announced, the product would have had much higher visibility and might have actually been profitable. Instead they sat on it like a cash cow. It was never a cash cow and it required and probably deserved better promotion and green lighting of the ideas put forward by Cakewalk to improve the financials. Of course the Cakewalk management of it's products could have been better, too. And perhaps there are too many high end DAWs on the market and everyone "knows" real music is made on a Mac. All of that put SONAR in a precarious position. It fell off the ledge it was on and all the kings men and all the kings horses shall never put Cakewalk back together again.

And that is what hurts.

Sonar Platinum, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, Intel NUC micro-workstation with 5th Gen Intel i5-5250U, 16 GB RAM and 1.25 TB Storage, Yamaha MG10XU Mixer USB Interface, Yamaha HPH-MT8 Monitor Headphones, Yamaha MX-49 controller synth
pwalpwal
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3249
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/02 10:19:40 (permalink)
no one here knows what really happened regarding gibson etc - personally, i'll speculate that gibson were cakewalk's last chance, after they had already failed with roland and intergrated/branded hardware, with anderton joining around the same time - "if anyone can save it, anderton can" - but cakewalk still failed to adjust to the new digital marketplace
/fwiw

just a sec

Page: << < ..4647484950.. > >> Showing page 47 of 59
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1