AnsweredLockedIntroducing the new SONAR: New lineup, new features, plus membership

Page: << < ..4142434445.. > >> Showing page 42 of 50
Author
scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: Introducing the new SONAR: New lineup, new features, plus membership 2015/01/20 03:12:26 (permalink)
Yes, it is the new SONAR help file

From what I have read, the trial version may not be available on the 21st but they are working on it. There has been no firm date given for the trial. Usually the trial version lags a bit so it can incorporate a few of the early patches.
mudgel
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12010
Re: Introducing the new SONAR: New lineup, new features, plus membership 2015/01/20 03:14:35 (permalink)
That's what I have. So I'm not missing out. Thought I had a reason to whine about something.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
scook
Forum Host
Re: Introducing the new SONAR: New lineup, new features, plus membership 2015/01/20 03:18:27 (permalink)
mudgel
That's what I thought however you said the manual is available now in post #1226. I'll wait as per normal procedure. Thanks.

To me the way Cakewalk handles the help file it is the manual . The Reference Guide pdf is nothing more than a recompiled shapshot of the original help file in pdf format. I stopped using the pdf when the help was posted on their web site. The web site is updated, the pdf is not. In the past updates also included new versions of the chm. It will be interesting to see how often the chm get updated going forward.
mudgel
Re: Introducing the new SONAR: New lineup, new features, plus membership 2015/01/20 03:37:32 (permalink)
I was actually quite surprised by the amount of revision already evident in the .chm file. This was already happening through the X3 release cycle as I noticed fewer and fewer references to older versions which was still typical of the early X series.
Because I use an iPad for much of my forum participation it's handy to have the PDF. I haven't found a way to view the .chm file yet, mind you I haven't looked, I've just assumed it won't open on an iPad.
.mv

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

sylent
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 309
Re: Introducing the new SONAR: New lineup, new features, plus membership 2015/01/20 06:39:31 (permalink)
mudgel
I was actually quite surprised by the amount of revision already evident in the .chm file. This was already happening through the X3 release cycle as I noticed fewer and fewer references to older versions which was still typical of the early X series.
Because I use an iPad for much of my forum participation it's handy to have the PDF. I haven't found a way to view the .chm file yet, mind you I haven't looked, I've just assumed it won't open on an iPad.
.mv

CHM is compiled HTML, and a Microsoft proprietary format, so I doubt the i-stuff would, maybe not android either, but they have a better chance.

http://twisteddrive.com
Windows 7 Pro 64, i5-3570k 3.40GHz, 32Gb ram, NVIDIA Quatro 4000, 2x SSD, 2x 2Tb Dedicated storage and misc high-capacity HHD Storage, Sonar Platinum, Adobe CS6 Master Suite, Misc 3D, video, audio software. Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56/octapre, Mackie MCU, other MIDI/control, rack effects, and more.
subtlearts
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2200
Re: Introducing the new SONAR: New lineup, new features, plus membership 2015/01/20 07:31:47 (permalink)
Hi everybody. Long time no see (for those that remember me)!

I'm a relatively longtime user (I've had every version since Sonar 5) and sometime forum frequenter (I haven't been around for a while but I lurk sometimes, and usually pop my head in around release time anyway to see what's what). I make most of my living as a performer which sometimes keeps me pretty busy and I don't have as much time as I'd like to use the software or be involved in the community. However...

I've been watching this release from the sidelines with some interest. I think the new version looks great, and I think the new pricing/membership model seems innovative, very fair and quite well-thought-out. While I understand that there will be some level of flame-back anytime a company makes a significant change like this, it's been strange to see how much angry resistance there is to something that actually doesn't seem to change much of anything at all if you don't want it to, but could bring features, improvements and fixes sooner, and keep the company more stable into the bargain. Good for everyone, no? It strikes me however that most longtime users and level-headed forumites can see this, which bodes well.

I wasn't one of the lucky few to get an early invite, which is probably for the best as I tend to take my time with decisions and might not have jumped on it, which kind of defeats the purpose. So now I'm waiting for the official release and pondering my options. I suspect I'll end up just forking out for the all-at-once upgrade to Platinum, since with the $149 intro offer it seems to translate to the best bang for the buck - all of 40 cents a day if my math is correct. And while it's tempting to downgrade to Professional given I could keep most of the extra stuff from X3Pro, I just don't think I can live without that fly-out EQ...

But I'm really interested to see how it plays out in the long term since, as mentioned, I tend to go through very busy phases in show creation (I mostly work in circus/variety productions) - it might turn out that a monthly option will work out well for me over the long term since I could stop my membership for those times when I know I won't have time to do any composition/production work, and then start it up again when things open up. I'm trying to get a sense of what I might lose if I chose that path - will the monthly fee for Platinum always be $19.99 if I have older versions of Platinum/Producer? Or will I at some point be relegated to a higher price point if I don't maintain constant membership? What about the $14.99 monthly intro offer? Do I have to keep that current in order to maintain the price, or will it go up to $19.99 if I lapse for a month or two?

Any thoughts, ideally from calm and informed users (or company reps) rather than hysterical anti-subscription idealogues?

tobias tinker 
music is easy: just start with complete silence, and take away the parts you don't like!
tobiastinker.com
aeosrecords.com
soundfascination.com
Sonar Platinum, a bunch of other stuff...
mudgel
Re: Introducing the new SONAR: New lineup, new features, plus membership 2015/01/20 07:38:24 (permalink)
Hey Tobias, nice to see you back in these parts. There's quite a few familiar old faces dropping by lately.

When X3 came out by the time the e update had been applied I declared it to be the best Sonar to date. With this new model and Sonar Platinum we have reached a new level of quality. I haven't seen a Sonar version so stable and mature out of the box. Under the Gibson brand Cakewalk has really flourished and I'm sure some more innovative things will be afoot.

To the payments, make a single annual payment and as normal you immediately own a non expiring licence for that version. Cakewalk have said that to acquire your non expiring licence when making payments you need to pay for 12 months.
If you need to just use the software for a few months then you can do that too, but you don't get to keep anything. If you drop out or have some difficulty Cakewalk have said they'll work with folks on a one on one basis to work out things if you're really experiencing problems but generally if you leave and come back while you'll get all the program to date you'll miss out on supplementary content released while you were away.
Just the same as if you skipped a version now you wouldn't get the specials that came with it but you'd get everything you were entitled to for the version where you upgraded. Hope that answers your questions?

A good time to be dipping your toes back in I'd say.

.mv
post edited by mudgel - 2015/01/20 07:47:19

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

subtlearts
Re: Introducing the new SONAR: New lineup, new features, plus membership 2015/01/20 07:46:10 (permalink)
Oh I've been happily using X3e for a while now, I upgraded with the Melodyne Studio promo about a year ago. I haven't used either as much as I'd hoped, but enough to know that we have an embarassment of riches these days, and it seems that they will continue flowing for a while yet. I've rarely not been glad that I chose Cakewalk back in 2006, and at the moment it seems like a better choice than ever. For me, anyway.

tobias tinker 
music is easy: just start with complete silence, and take away the parts you don't like!
tobiastinker.com
aeosrecords.com
soundfascination.com
deanx
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 113
Re: Introducing the new SONAR: New lineup, new features, plus membership 2015/01/20 07:58:52 (permalink)
Hi all, I can't see this asked anywhere in this thread so....

As a UK based user, will I need to pay £199 for 12 months or the equivalent to $199 (approx £131GBP)? 

Thanks
Dean
subtlearts
Re: Introducing the new SONAR: New lineup, new features, plus membership 2015/01/20 07:59:06 (permalink)
Like I say I strongly suspect they'll get my up-front money this time around, quite possibly right away. I'm as much as a sucker for intro promotions as the next guy or gal. I'm just exploring options for the future. I am OK with missing out on content released while I might be on hiatus, as I have so much in the arsenal already, but I assume program features will be retained and available when I come back to the fold? (ah, the prodigal son returns...)

Oh wait, looks like you already answered that, if I've understood rightly. To me the whole thing makes good sense and caters to people with varying needs and/or resources, without seeming to leave loyal users in the cold. Though as always, more than a few people have taken it as a personal affront and unleashed a load of righteous anger before taking the time to understand what's actually on offer. So it goes...

tobias tinker 
tobiastinker.com
aeosrecords.com
soundfascination.com
mudgel
Re: Introducing the new SONAR: New lineup, new features, plus membership 2015/01/20 08:43:12 (permalink)
Jrr are having a presale where you can get it for $149-16% disc. I don't know who jrr are though.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

SteveStrummerUK
  • Total Posts : 31112
Re: Introducing the new SONAR: New lineup, new features, plus membership 2015/01/20 09:10:04 (permalink)
Paul P
SteveStrummerUK
Paul P
 Wouldn't that mean that the Quad EQ module will retain its fly-out capability and spectrum analysis ?

Paul, it still works as expected in Platinum.

Thanks Steve, but the question is if you have the Quad EQ with fly-out on X3P and you upgrade to Professional, and not Platinum, will it still fly out and analyze ?  ProChannel modules are supposed to be carried over to Professional (the one's you've added to X3 but aren't supplied with Professional) but we're wondering about the QuadEQ since it's sort of hardwired and Professional doesn't have it.

Ah, I see, apologies Paul, I was reading your post out of context

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

dwardzala
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1470
Re: Introducing the new SONAR: New lineup, new features, plus membership 2015/01/20 10:30:11 (permalink)
deanx

As a UK based user, will I need to pay £199 for 12 months or the equivalent to $199 (approx £131GBP)? 

Thanks
Dean

I am pretty sure that one of the Bakers confirmed that the UK price would be at an appropriate exchange rate.

Dave
Main Studio- Core i5 @2.67GHz, 16Gb Ram, (2) 500Gb HDs, (1) 360 Gb HD
MotU Ultralite AVB, Axiom 49 Midi Controller, Akai MPD18 Midi Controller
Win10 x64 Home
Sonar 2017.06 Platinum (and X3e, X2c, X1d)

Mobile Studio - Sager NP8677 (i7-6700HQ @2.67MHz, 16G Ram, 250G SSD, 1T HD)
M-Box Mini v. 2
Win 10 x64 Home
Sonar 2016.10 Platinum

Check out my original music:
https://soundcloud.com/d-wardzala/sets/d-wardzala-original-music

SteveStrummerUK
  • Total Posts : 31112
Re: Introducing the new SONAR: New lineup, new features, plus membership 2015/01/20 12:27:49 (permalink)
dwardzala
deanx

Thanks
Dean

I am pretty sure that one of the Bakers confirmed that the UK price would be at an appropriate exchange rate.

The upfront annual UK membership price at the current US introductory offer of $149.00 comes out within a fiver of the current exchange rate; but obviously you have to add VAT @20% on top of that.

The total cost works out at £118.80.

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

Vas
  • Total Posts : 112
Re: Introducing the new SONAR: New lineup, new features, plus membership 2015/01/20 12:50:31 (permalink)
scook
I fixed the link. It just points to the new features section in the help.

The Reference Guide pdf is usually available after the release of the product.

Going over the Documentation to see any differences on Sonar 2015
Unfortunately there is no way to search with keywords. A bit disappointed.

Perhaps the Reference Guide pdf may be more helpful. I hope it is released soon.

Sonar Platinum, S1 3, FL Studio 12, Cubase 7.5, Komplete 8, Waves Gold, Melodyne Studio 4, Windows 10 - 64bit, GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R Rev 2, Intel Xeon W3690, 12GB RAM, 23" 10-touch ViewSonic and iPad Air as midi controller, iConnectMIDI2+, FireBox, Shuttle Pro2
scook
Forum Host
Re: Introducing the new SONAR: New lineup, new features, plus membership 2015/01/20 13:10:47 (permalink)
Keyword search is in the upper right-hand corner of the page. It will return more than SONAR documentation but usually the SONAR doc hits are at the top. I also find the browser search in the index effective.
Susan G
  • Total Posts : 12016
Re: Introducing the new SONAR: New lineup, new features, plus membership 2015/01/20 13:16:10 (permalink)
scook
Keyword search is in the upper right-hand corner of the page. It will return more than SONAR documentation but usually the SONAR doc hits are at the top. I also find the browser search in the index effective.

Hi scook-

Do you know if there are any plans to separate the online documentation by version somehow? When I do an online search, almost invariably the SONAR X2 topics come up first. 

Thanks-

-Susan

2.30 gigahertz Intel Core i7-3610QM; 16 GB RAM
Windows 10 x64; NI Komplete Audio 6.
SONAR Platinum (Lexington) x64
Vas
Re: Introducing the new SONAR: New lineup, new features, plus membership 2015/01/20 13:23:01 (permalink)
scook

Thanks scook

I was hoping for a Documentation search. A minor hick-up on the road to Sonar 2015.
Looking forward to the trial version to help me decide.

Sonar Platinum, S1 3, FL Studio 12, Cubase 7.5, Komplete 8, Waves Gold, Melodyne Studio 4, Windows 10 - 64bit, GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R Rev 2, Intel Xeon W3690, 12GB RAM, 23" 10-touch ViewSonic and iPad Air as midi controller, iConnectMIDI2+, FireBox, Shuttle Pro2
scook
Forum Host
Re: Introducing the new SONAR: New lineup, new features, plus membership 2015/01/20 13:23:30 (permalink)
Susan G

Do you know if there are any plans to separate the online documentation by version somehow? When I do an online search, almost invariably the SONAR X2 topics come up first. 

The documentation is separated by version. The search engine is not. With hard copy I got in the habit of opening the index first. I still do that a lot with things like Cakewalk help and use the web browser for keyword search. Especially if the site search engine fails to provide a quick hit.

The new SONAR toc is here http://www.cakewalk.com/D...ge=3&help=toc.html
Susan G
  • Total Posts : 12016
Re: Introducing the new SONAR: New lineup, new features, plus membership 2015/01/20 13:32:36 (permalink)
I see. Okay, thanks.

-Susan

2.30 gigahertz Intel Core i7-3610QM; 16 GB RAM
Windows 10 x64; NI Komplete Audio 6.
SONAR Platinum (Lexington) x64
Vas
Re: Introducing the new SONAR: New lineup, new features, plus membership 2015/01/20 14:30:56 (permalink)

Go to the index and then do a search (control F)
http://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=SONAR&language=3&help=ix.html 

Cat Cave
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 15
Re: Introducing the new SONAR: New lineup, new features, plus membership 2015/01/20 18:02:30 (permalink)
Hi. Someone wrote that the Platinum edition is less CPU consuming than X3 Producer. Is this correct? Or, if my computer can run X3 producer will it be able to work with the Platinum?

i7 4790, 3.6GHz, 16Gb RAM, Win 10 Pro.
Roland Quad Capture UA-55.
Sonar Platinum.
Works like a charm.
cruster
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 74
Re: Introducing the new SONAR: New lineup, new features, plus membership 2015/01/20 18:33:56 (permalink)
mudgel
Jrr are having a presale where you can get it for $149-16% disc. I don't know who jrr are though.

JRR is an awesome online music store. I generally have used them for digital products, but I bought Steinberg Groove Agent 4 and a dongle from them. I needed some support after the sale and Colin (sales/support guy, I believe, not an owner) was exceedingly patient, helpful and generous (threw in a free UVI synth for my trouble, which I did not really complain about and certainly didn't ask for). I've always bought direct from Cakewalk, but this time I'm hitting that GROUP discount on JRRShop. I'm as comfortable with them as I am with Cakewalk, but 16% is 16%.

ETA: I've used CW since Pro Audio 9 days, all the way up through X3e.
dke
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 724
Re: Introducing the new SONAR: New lineup, new features, plus membership 2015/01/20 23:08:07 (permalink)
Cat Cave
Hi. Someone wrote that the Platinum edition is less CPU consuming than X3 Producer. Is this correct? Or, if my computer can run X3 producer will it be able to work with the Platinum?

I don't know if uses less but certainly doesn't seem to use any more.  If your current system runs x3 well it should handle platinum as well.

Sonar Platinum ( x64),  Windows 10 x64, HP Envy i5 2.9GHZ, 8GB, Tascam 4x4 USB, BX5a Monitors.
DrLumen
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 621
Re: Introducing the new SONAR: New lineup, new features, plus membership 2015/01/21 03:24:32 (permalink)
I'm not a big fan of this model either.  I can understand Greeny's point in this scenario.

Buy the new upgrade now, for me it would $199 and then get 12 months of patches and whatever GUI tweaks or timeline tweaks or color changes or whatever that will be done over the year. But, at month 13, I then have to decide to pay $149 or $199 or monthly or whatever for the promise of new features or bug fixes which may not ever come or be of little use. It is a subscription just set on a yearly cycle.

If I do get the upgrade now it would likely be my last as, like others, I don't have a need to get every twitch in the versions. Then, if I do decide to upgrade say at year 3 or 4, it will be $600 or something silly.

-When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Sonar Platinum / Intel i7-4790K / AsRock Z97 / 32GB RAM / Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB / Behringer FCA610 / M-Audio Sport 2x4 / Win7 x64 Pro / WDC Black HDD's / EVO 850 SSD's / Alesis Q88 / Boss DS-330 / Korg nanoKontrol / Novation Launch Control / 14.5" Lava Lamp
garygml
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 179
Re: Introducing the new SONAR: New lineup, new features, plus membership 2015/01/21 03:45:08 (permalink)
Sorry guys this is probably a silly question but when can we actually buy Platinum & most importantly download it?????
Paul P
Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2685
Re: Introducing the new SONAR: New lineup, new features, plus membership 2015/01/21 06:29:53 (permalink)
garygml
Sorry guys this is probably a silly question but when can we actually buy Platinum & most importantly download it?????

Supposed to be the 21st.  Which is what, today ?

Sonar Platinum [2017.10], Win7U x64 sp1, Xeon E5-1620 3.6 GHz, Asus P9X79WS, 16 GB ECC, 128gb SSD, HD7950, Mackie Blackjack
subtlearts
Re: Introducing the new SONAR: New lineup, new features, plus membership 2015/01/21 06:56:45 (permalink)
it's still pretty early in Boston (the same in Montreal though - you're an early riser!). Should be in the next few hours...
Paul P

Supposed to be the 21st.  Which is what, today ?

tobias tinker 
tobiastinker.com
aeosrecords.com
soundfascination.com
Pan65
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 26
Re: Introducing the new SONAR: New lineup, new features, plus membership 2015/01/21 10:24:22 (permalink)
Hi guys 'n' gals!

At first I thought wtf, who want to rent software you use regularly? But the more I think about it the better this monthly payment system seems. The biggest benefit is of course that you don't have to dig a deep hole in your wallet at once, and you get to keep the software after one year of payment any way. But two questions remain before I make my final decision...

1. If I pay the monthly fee for a full year I get to keep everything I received during the period, that much is clear. But lets say I keep paying for another six months, will I keep everything I downloaded during this period too or do I have to pay another full year to keep it?

2. Will this monthly payment system apply to other products too such as pro channel effects, softsynths etc?
matt fresha
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 168
Re: Introducing the new SONAR: New lineup, new features, plus membership 2015/01/21 10:37:45 (permalink)
Pan65The biggest benefit is of course that you don't have to dig a deep hole in your wallet at once, and you get to keep the software after one year of payment any way.

This point is the EXACT reason I'm doing the monthly payment. I wonder, though, if after a few monthly payments we can choose the pay rest of the 12 months at once?
Page: << < ..4142434445.. > >> Showing page 42 of 50
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1