!!!!THE 64 BIT CAMPAIGN!!!!

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 10 of 20
Author
Positively Charged
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 744
RE: !!!!THE 64 BIT CAMPAIGN!!!! 2009/06/08 00:39:06 (permalink)
This is going to sound a bit harsh, but this is where I'm coming from.

I want 64 bit "everything" in the next version of Sonar. Yes, for memory. But also for smoothness of support (ie, no bitbridge or other "wrappers" for bundled VST Instruments or effect plugins). But to every DAW company, my "individual reasons" should not be the #1 concern.

Their real concern should be this: I am the customer. And not just any customer. A Paying Customer. As a P.C., I can be counted on to regularly upgrade. My check always clears.

As for my request, my technical reasons are sound, and making it happen is technically, mechanically, and programatically feasible. And it may (or may not) be a lot less expensive than designing, coding, testing, and debugging a slew of new sounds or instruments...or buying another vendor so you can include their sounds in the S9 bundle. Cakewalk will of course have to do the cost/benefit on this, but I think I'm on track here.

Additionally, every vendor should bear in mind that this is a tough economy and I am counting my pennies this year, as are so many other customers. I'm putting off some large purchases this year, and I'm evaluating everything from the cell phone bill to the satellite bill, to the weekly pizza, wings, and beer expenditures.

So if you want my upgrade fees for Sonar 9 producer, then you need to bring value to the table. 100% 64 bit would go a long way to achieving that goal. You'll need to provide the bitbridge code for downward compatibilty with 3rd party plugins, but that code has already been developed, that money has already been expensed.

In my post, I say "I want" an awful lot. I am only one customer, but I am THE CUSTOMER. Statistically speaking, I represent far more than a mere "single sale". And for that reason, you cannot ignore my sentiments, nor the sentiments of the numerous others who have posted in the affirmative to this thread.

Detroit didn't listen to me when I complained about their unreliable product. Detroit didn't listen to me when I complained that their technology was getting behind the times.

It all boils down to this: I want it. It's not an unreasonable request and I am a P.C. (Paying Customer), so make it happen already!

Freddie H
Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3617
RE: !!!!THE 64 BIT CAMPAIGN!!!! 2009/06/08 12:38:03 (permalink)
The Third Public Beta version of KONTAKT 3, 64bit is out now (3.5.0.013)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi everybody,

A new public beta version has been released today.

The most important fixes include:

•Improved multiprocessor handling for host environments
•RTAS plugin now capable of multiprocessor usage
•Fixed Sonar sample rate issues which caused wrong pitches
•Fixed DP offline bounce and crashes
•'Could not start Memory Server' issues resolved
•Looping issues fixed
•Rex file import improvements
•Improved DFD performance on Mac
•Long loading times with Symphobia/Steven Slate libraries fixed
•Fixed a problem with mono/5.1 outs in RTAS
•Memory conflicts in combination with other RAM intense plug ins fixed
•No key focus with Ableton Live 8 AU fixed
•Phaser only working on right channel fixed

You can download the new public beta version from the same page as the first one:
http://www.native-instruments.com/index.php?id=publicbeta

http://www.native-instruments.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87573

Regards
Freddie

-Highly developed spirits often encounter resistance from mediocre minds. -It really matters!
Freddie H
RE: !!!!THE 64 BIT CAMPAIGN!!!! 2009/06/08 14:48:40 (permalink)
More NEWS! NI- Massive (64bit?) Official update status - Massive – Current: 1.1.3 – Upcoming: 1.1.4

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This thread provides information about upcoming patches for Massive. It will be updated whenever new information becomes available.

---------
The currently available software version is Massive 1.1.3. Please make sure that your installation is up to date.
---------

Upcoming patch: Massive 1.1.4
This will be a free update.

---------

The patch is currently in this phase:

•specification
•development
•beta testing
•final testing

For an explanation of the different phases, please see the section below.

---------

The update will include the following improvements:

New and improved features:
•Compatibility with Windows Vista 64

•Pro Tools compatibility under Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard

Fixes:
•Various minor fixes

http://www.native-instruments.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62230

It must mean that NI Massive going Native 64bit too like Kontakt 3!

Regards
Freddie

-Highly developed spirits often encounter resistance from mediocre minds. -It really matters!
Freddie H
RE: !!!!THE 64 BIT CAMPAIGN!!!! 2009/06/08 15:00:34 (permalink)
Great news! Omnisphere soon in Natvie 64bit!

http://www.spectrasonics.net/instruments/omnisphere_faq.php

Soon! We are currently in beta for the 64-bit version of Omnisphere....stay tuned.

Regards
Freddie

Jose7822
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10031
RE: !!!!THE 64 BIT CAMPAIGN!!!! 2009/06/08 15:10:07 (permalink)
Thanks to Seriousfun and Freddie for the updates. I have included them in the first post of this thread.

@ Positively Charged,

I totally agree with you :-) I think Cakewalk will deliver though, specially since this is a reasonable request. I have high hopes that we'll get a 64 bit Perfect Space given that Voxengo is porting all of their plugins to native 64. My only concern is VC-64 since that's the other 3rd party plugin outside of Cakewalk's control. Oh, and let's not forget RXP which uses a 3rd party format developed by Propellerheads. Those would probably the only two plugins I wouldn't expect to be ported by Sonar 9's release. The rest they should be able to get though.

Take care!
Phoenix
Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1886
RE: !!!!THE 64 BIT CAMPAIGN!!!! 2009/06/08 20:52:21 (permalink)
I also would like to see everything finally able to run on 64-bit, since my system is 64-bit capable. Currently I am running 32-bit since I'm still on WinXP and of course I don't know when Windows 7 64-bit will be ready for prime time (and when the H/W drivers will catch up!), but it would be nice if that was soon...
mlockett
Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2099
RE: !!!!THE 64 BIT CAMPAIGN!!!! 2009/06/08 21:25:02 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Freddie H

Great news! Omnisphere soon in Natvie 64bit!

http://www.spectrasonics.net/instruments/omnisphere_faq.php

Soon! We are currently in beta for the 64-bit version of Omnisphere....stay tuned.

Great news! I thought since Trilian was getting postponed, 64 bit Omnisphere would get pushed back further. I'm glad to see it should be coming soon.
mhuang
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 94
RE: !!!!THE 64 BIT CAMPAIGN!!!! 2009/06/09 03:21:04 (permalink)
searched the forum and didn't see this being posted.

for those of you wanting to run 32bit plugins in sonar 64 bit, there's a beta x86 -> x64 vst adatper being tested right now over at the kvraudio forum:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=244999

I use it myself and it works with a lot of 32bit plugins that doesn't work with cakewalk's own bitbridge.

Michael Huang - Sound Editor, Composer.
http://www.filmnoise.com
http://www.imdb.me/michael

Elffin
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1196
RE: !!!!THE 64 BIT CAMPAIGN!!!! 2009/06/09 12:08:51 (permalink)
Great news about Omnisphere - thats the best news so far - hope its not too long

Tried out Tinman for x64 but can't get it to work tho.. read their forums a few sonar users have trouble and some not.. anybody interested on giving this some feedback?

http://www.stillwellaudio.com/?page_id=48
LuxDelux
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: !!!!THE 64 BIT CAMPAIGN!!!! 2009/06/13 07:02:12 (permalink)
Hello first post but been following this thread for a while. Anyways for those interested in Rob Papen stuff here's what he said today about the new Predator update after I asked him at KVR

Hi,

Sure, yesterday I discussed this with Jon Ayres.
Predator 1.5.5 we make also PC 64bit version.
The demand for it is not big, but we start with Predator 1.5.5

Rob

Release should be this month
Freddie H
RE: !!!!THE 64 BIT CAMPAIGN!!!! 2009/06/13 09:19:25 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: LuxDelux

Hello first post but been following this thread for a while. Anyways for those interested in Rob Papen stuff here's what he said today about the new Predator update after I asked him at KVR

Hi,

Sure, yesterday I discussed this with Jon Ayres.
Predator 1.5.5 we make also PC 64bit version.

The demand for it is not big, but we start with Predator 1.5.5

Rob

Release should be this month

There you go! Great!

Freddie H
RE: !!!!THE 64 BIT CAMPAIGN!!!! 2009/06/28 12:06:06 (permalink)
Tip of the day News!

Celemony Software Melodyne 3 Studio and Melodyne bridge!

If you have Melodyne 3 Studio, it work with SONAR 8, 64bit bitbridge.

You can use the Melodynebridge VST-version, but it's little bit tricky because you cant's see the Track graphic inside the bridge correctly but it still will work. After a while you get it how to use it.
You get also error message every time you close the song in use of Melodynebridge too.

But the best thing is that you ain't need to use the SONAR 32bit version... so that is all good!

Next!

Kontakt 3.5.018, 64bit BETA version are available to download!

http://www.native-instruments.com/index.php?id=publicbeta

Works like charm with SONAR 8 64bit producer with VISTA 64bit. Please report SONAR 8 64bit and Kontakt 3.5 experience here....
http://www.native-instruments.com/forum/showthread.php?s=33223c30f99fa5423355a0e0606b9ee5&t=86237

Regards
Freddie

LamerPawnage
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 91
RE: !!!!THE 64 BIT CAMPAIGN!!!! 2009/06/28 23:06:29 (permalink)
I like Vista 64bit much more than Vista 32bit for the simple fact that it never hiccups or burps whatsoever. The 32bit OS's I've used in the past always seemed to have some hangups, but I've experienced only minimal problems with the 64bit environment - just seems to me to be absolutely much more stable and much more dependable than 32bit environments.

I first read this thread a couple weeks ago. It's fairly voluminous, so I haven't read everything in detail. I love the idea of a completely supported 64bit platform, but currently there are a couple of variables invovled which would prevent me from using it 100% of the time even if it were to hit the market. I do not use many virtual instruments - at all. I use it to record, mix and master. I mainly use it to record myself but I also record others too, but it's purely for recording, mixing and mastering. I don't use samples. I don't use keyboard pluggins. I have nothing against such tools and am glad I have them at my disposal if ever needed, but I'm a guitarist.

I do, however, use and am entirely dependent on BFD! My life would end in certain tragedy if BFD were somehow elimintated from my life. I know I may be quite psychotic in doing so, but even in BFD, I DO NOT use Midi Drum Loops. I basically use Sonar to record my originals, and having learned how to read and write music well over 25 years ago, I literally compose all my midi drum arrangements. I draw and paint every midi note processed by BFD. When I come up with a melody or rhythm and riff or idea on the gutiar, I'll work through its evolution unti lI'm satisified with the overall arrangement - a process that can sometimes take weeks to truly bring it to life and allow it to breath life. During this creative process, I always have an idea of how I want the drums going on. I've always been into drummers such as, Dennis Chambers, Dave Weckyl, Virgil Donati, Dean Castronovo, Mike Terrana, Scott Travis etc. I also like to try to incorporate their styles of being everywhere into the consciousness of my compositions. This can be quite time consuming, but really...what better do I have to do with my time than dictate precisely every note of me be my own Virtual Dummer! (LOL) Besides, I love getting lost in the composition aspect of such creation and, in the end, the final result is complete accomplishment! ...a truly great feeling in and of itself :)

I do play drums, too, but realistically, I do not yet have the necessary space for the drum set I envision (...along the lives of Virgil Donati - but even practcing 20 hours a day for the next 10 years, I would never be able to be that good, and besides...I'm a guitar player and I don't want to be a drummer), nor do I have the necessary sound proof drum room. The ideal setup in the very near future will be to add a very nice, electronic set I can synch up to both Sonar and BFD.

As such, the problem I would face in a completely 64bit enviroment is not being able to use FXpansion's BFD (1.5 and 2) since it is only supported on 32bit platforms. I suppose I could always dual boot in a 32 bit environment for BFD and then mix everything down to audio and transfer it to the 64bit environment, but as it stands now, I was down for almost a week when my main drive failed (fortunately it was under warranty), and I just got back up and running a couple days ago. I would much rather spend my time writing and recording than installing another partition that supports a 32bit environment and all the corresponding subsequent time it would require booting back and forth between both envirnments.

Anyway...that's just my two cents.

Vista64, ASUS P5B, Core2X, 4G-ram, 3-10K RPM Sata II VelociRaptors (1x75 Gig - Cake; 2x150 Gig Storage), 1x1TB xMy Book; 9800GT GPU, AQUOS 32" 1080p. 

Sonar 8.3.1, MOTU 2408 MK III, Mackie HR824's, Mackie 1604VLZ Pro, AlphaTrack, M-Audio Axiom61, Line6 xtPro Rack, Boogie 20/20, Boogie 2-2x12 Roadsters, Ibanez JEM, Ibanez RG470, Ibanez 7321, Ibanez Acoustic, Yamaha Classical, Fender Precision Deluxe '02, Fender Acoustic and a Les Paul.
Jose7822
RE: !!!!THE 64 BIT CAMPAIGN!!!! 2009/06/29 00:56:58 (permalink)
Hey there LP,

I think you got the purpose of this thread all wrong. This thread is NOT about just having a 64 bit version of Sonar. The purpose is to have ALL remaining 32 bit plugins ported to a 64 bit native format for the 64 bit version of Sonar. But I'm sure Cakewalk will continue to ship both versions of Sonar (32 bit and 64 bit) for as long as people demand it/need it (as it has for the past almost 4 years).

Now, I don't use BFD but I assume you could use it in Sonar64 (obviously under a 64 bit OS) via Bitbridge. At least that's how I use Superior Drummer from Toontrack and it works just fine. Alternatively, you could install both Sonar32 and Sonar64 under a 64 bit OS. I currently do this myself in Vista64 because of those 32 bit DX plugins that Sonar64 doesn't support yet (which, again, is why we have this thread going). Otherwise, I would be in 64 bit world right now since I don't use many 32 bit plugins outside of what ships in Sonar. Anyways, what I'm trying to say is that those are better alternatives than dual-booting a machine with 2 bit-differing OS. Just thought you might want to know that :-)

HTH
mudgel
  • Total Posts : 12010
RE: !!!!THE 64 BIT CAMPAIGN!!!! 2009/06/29 03:03:39 (permalink)
I haven't been able to get Superior Drummer 2.1 to work in SONAR x64 on VISTA x64. that's one of the reasns I have SONAR x86 still installed and running parallel for those things that Bitbridge doesn't work with. It loads but the GUI is completely non responsive. Its the only program I have this problem with. normally if a 32 bit plugin wont work in Bitbridge the VST Scanner doesn't even pick it up. So I know its a no go, with SD2 it loads but no response from anything. Changing Video Card settings doesn't help either. Nor do I do any over clocking.

I've recently downloaded J-bridge but haven't installed and tested it yet as an alternative to SONAR's Bitbridge. I've heard rave revues of it from some who have tried.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
Jose7822
RE: !!!!THE 64 BIT CAMPAIGN!!!! 2009/06/29 16:07:07 (permalink)
When you say that the GUI is completely non responsive, are you refering to the pads not producing any sounds when you click them? If so, remember that Bitbridge is a separate application removed from Sonar.exe. This means that if you have the "Share Drivers With Other Programs" option checked under Options::Audio::Advanced Tab, you won't hear any sounds because Sonar has released the audio drivers the moment you bring focus to SD2 (which is being wrapped by Bitbridge). Unchecking the "Share Drivers With Other Programs" option solves this. Other than that, everything works fine here.

HTH
Freddie H
RE: !!!!THE 64 BIT CAMPAIGN!!!! 2009/06/29 21:20:13 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: mudgel

I It loads but the GUI is completely non responsive. Its the only program I have this problem with. ..............Changing Video Card settings doesn't help either. Nor do I do any over clocking.

Many Audio “snap points” with Audio Snap makes the graphic jumpy and unresponsive too.

I solve this by adding those tracks to a folder that I CLOSE, and “vol'a” Back in business again. Graphic working fine as long the FOLDER are closed!

Regards
Freddie

Freddie H
RE: !!!!THE 64 BIT CAMPAIGN!!!! 2009/07/06 03:33:16 (permalink)
NI Massive official NATIVE 64bit version 1.1.4 is out now for downloading!

http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/products/producer/massive/

Change log:

* Compatibility with Windows Vista 64
* Pro Tools compatibility under Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard
* New synced LFO mode
Various minor fixes

Awesome....I'm so happy with this, only Omnisphere left going Native 64bit and then I'm all set!

Regards
Freddie
post edited by Freddie H - 2009/07/06 03:44:50

Jose7822
RE: !!!!THE 64 BIT CAMPAIGN!!!! 2009/07/06 07:35:03 (permalink)
Thanks Freddie! It's been updated.
eratu
Max Output Level: -46.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2856
RE: !!!!THE 64 BIT CAMPAIGN!!!! 2009/07/06 13:39:18 (permalink)
A step in the right direction! Looking forward to Win 7 x64. Gonna make another attempt at x64 again. I need Kontakt x64!!!! Ahhhhhhhhhh!
Freddie H
RE: !!!!THE 64 BIT CAMPAIGN!!!! 2009/07/06 15:29:01 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: eratu

A step in the right direction! Looking forward to Win 7 x64. Gonna make another attempt at x64 again. I need Kontakt x64!!!! Ahhhhhhhhhh!

Hi Eratu!

Kontakt 3.5.018 64bit BETA working great in SONAR 8, 64bit producer. No crashes - Stable as rock!

http://www.native-instruments.com/forum/showthread.php?t=86237

Regards
Freddie

Freddie H
RE: !!!!THE 64 BIT CAMPAIGN!!!! 2009/07/06 15:30:51 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Jose7822

Thanks Freddie! It's been updated.

You are welcome Jose!

Regards
Freddie

PaPi
Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1032
RE: !!!!THE 64 BIT CAMPAIGN!!!! 2009/07/06 15:42:08 (permalink)

Hi Eratu!

Kontakt 3.5.018 64bit BETA working great in SONAR 8, 64bit producer. No crashes - Stable as rock!

Regards
Freddie

I was hesitant to update my Kontakt 3 to a beta release, but the fact that 3.5 is native 64-bit was too important to be ignored. V.3 runs OK through Bitbridge, but it's not terribly fast and you can't take advantage of having more than 4gb of ram (I have 16gb, I can load up an entire symphony orchestra in ram...) So, I took the plunge and installed 3.5. So far so good, didn't encounter any problem. Fortunately the latest update fixed the pitch bug, I would have definitely freaked out with that and gone back to v.3.xx (03? I don't remember what the last update was.)
Jose7822
RE: !!!!THE 64 BIT CAMPAIGN!!!! 2009/07/06 17:26:21 (permalink)
Eratu,

What up bro?! I haven't talked to you in a while. Hope everything is OK with you and your family.

I too am waiting for Kontakt 3.5 to come out of beta. It's gotta be sweet to finally be able to use more than 4GB of RAM on it. And going by Freddie's and Papi's experience it seems that NI are doing a great job so far. That and a full 64 bit Sonar and I'm set for an all 64 bit setup. That's heaven right there :-)

Take care bro!

Freddie H
RE: !!!!THE 64 BIT CAMPAIGN!!!! 2009/07/09 04:37:57 (permalink)
NEW Kontakt 3.5.022 64bit BETA is out now for downloading!

Hi everybody,

A new public beta version has been released today.

Important fixes include:

•Loop dropouts in DFD mode fixed
•Keyboard capture behavior in hosts fixed
•AU reset click on first note fixed
•Capture Mouse from Host fixed

http://www.native-instruments.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89329

Thread about Kontakt 3.5 64bit and SONAR 8, proucer 64bit

Regards
Freddie

eratu
RE: !!!!THE 64 BIT CAMPAIGN!!!! 2009/07/09 10:10:39 (permalink)
Hey Jose! How's it going, my friend! Hope all is well with you and yours! All is well here, just busy, you know how that is!

Yeah, Papi and Freddie are inspiring me to try the beta. >4GB is the holy grail for samplers and I can't wait to see if it can really do it... stably and reliably, that is.

I'm planning on taking the full x64 plunge (again) with Win 7. Back into the x64 fray. Seems like there has been a lot of recent action in the x64 world and there might be just enough plugins to make it worth the transition (again?). I just couldn't get a successful config going before, but the 4GB limit is really killing me now, and with Kontakt 3.5 x64, I think we might have enough to make it worth it.

I just updated my x64 DAW to Vista x64 SP2, so I'm going to be running some tests shortly. Haven't touched it for a while. If that goes well, I'm probably going to move my main, workhorse DAW to Windows 7 x64 by the end of the year. Probably upgrade to at least 16GB RAM to start and some new hard drives. I think I'll copy projects to an external hard drive, then take the existing internal hard drives out (Win XP Pro x86) and just put them in a safe location, then "start fresh" with new internal hard drives. :) Can't be too paranoid.

Anyway, it's really great that you have been keeping this thread moving, Jose. It's one of the best, most useful threads I've seen and you should get a special award from Cakewalk for your handling of it. Maybe a free upgrade to Sonar 9? ;)

Best, James

ORIGINAL: Jose7822

Eratu,

What up bro?! I haven't talked to you in a while. Hope everything is OK with you and your family.

I too am waiting for Kontakt 3.5 to come out of beta. It's gotta be sweet to finally be able to use more than 4GB of RAM on it. And going by Freddie's and Papi's experience it seems that NI are doing a great job so far. That and a full 64 bit Sonar and I'm set for an all 64 bit setup. That's heaven right there :-)

Take care bro!

post edited by eratu - 2009/07/09 10:12:06
eratu
RE: !!!!THE 64 BIT CAMPAIGN!!!! 2009/07/09 10:18:19 (permalink)

Hi Eratu!

Regards
Freddie

Thanks for blazing the trails, along with the other guys in this thread! After several tries at x64 I gave up for a while... but with Win 7 I think (hope?) it will be there for me! I'm going to try out K3.5 soon on Vista x64 and hopefully it will go well. I'll be coming for you, man, if it doesn't. ;)
Jose7822
RE: !!!!THE 64 BIT CAMPAIGN!!!! 2009/07/09 11:40:15 (permalink)

Anyway, it's really great that you have been keeping this thread moving, Jose. It's one of the best, most useful threads I've seen and you should get a special award from Cakewalk for your handling of it. Maybe a free upgrade to Sonar 9? ;)

Best, James

No problem man, just doing my part. May the Cakewalk gods hear you :-)

I think you're gonna be really happy with Vista64 SP2 and, eventually Win7x64. Vista has become very reliable since SP2, I tell ya that. Remember, this is coming from a guy who didn't think was ever going to use Vista =O. With Kontakt and all of the remaining Cakewalk plugins ported, I'll be a happy man. No more Sonar 32 bit for me :-)

By the way, the new 1TB Barracudas are awesome. I'm using two of them in RAID 0 for HD720p capturing and they work great! The sustain trasfer rate of these drives is close to Velociraptors which is insane coming from a 7200rpm drive. Not to mention we're talking Barracudas here (cheap and reliable).

Anyways, be sure to let us know how things go on your 100th time trying Sonar64 :-P

Take care bro!

eratu
RE: !!!!THE 64 BIT CAMPAIGN!!!! 2009/07/09 12:35:45 (permalink)
Very encouraged to hear you're happy with Vista x64 SP2. That says more to me than anything else. I know we had some growing pains early on but it's obvious you kept at it, so I value your comments on the matter more than anyone else's.

Looking forward to getting back into x64 -- the Vista x64 experiment I'll run this week is really just to lay the groundwork for Win7, plus I really want to test out BitBridge again for Cakewalk. I had issues before and want to see if I can replicate them before they close the door on bug reports in prep for Sonar 9.

Anyway, I can't "officially" move over to x64 just yet, and I figure I might as well wait for Win7 for the big move.

As for the latest Barracudas, I've heard some great things about them. Will check them out. I was a little concerned with Seagate with the problems on the prior generation (I think 7200.11?), and one of my drives had the weird problem, but normally I really like them. 7200.12 is supposed to be excellent. All the latest drives I've bought have been the WD Black series, though, and they've been pretty darn nice too.

Will let you know how it goes!

Take care, too, my friend!
post edited by eratu - 2009/07/09 12:47:58
Jose7822
RE: !!!!THE 64 BIT CAMPAIGN!!!! 2009/07/09 12:58:05 (permalink)
Yeah, waiting for Win7 is a smart move. Talking about Windows 7, I don't know if you heard, but M$ was just recently offering Win7 Home Premium version for $49.99 USD and the Professional version for $99.99 USD. It might still be running so try to take advantage of that if you can.

I also heard about the problem the previous version of Barracudas had. But Segate fixed all the issues in the new version 7200.12. And, not only are they faster, but also quiet and cheap. I got 2TB for $199.98 USD from Newegg. That's just amazing to me considering how fast they are. Like I said, I'm using them for HD720p capturing which, according to the manufacturer of my capture card, I needed 4 RAID 0 drives in order to do that. So, yeah, they're fast :-) The other option I heard were really good were the Samsung 1TB drives. They're a little bit slower than the Barracudas but I've heard good things about them too. So those are two good options to consider.

Well, I'll be waiting for your Win7x64 experience. Especially how it all bahaves with Kontakt64 and Sonar64. That's gotta be awesome!

Later :-)

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 10 of 20
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1