Helpful ReplyThe SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 9 of 11
Author
awake1994
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/26 16:07:26 (permalink)
I don't like the product but they did it right :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tquCafEk6wI

SPlatinum / SL16.0.2 / Win10 on iMac
karhide
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 457
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/26 16:13:09 (permalink)
C Hudson
Thanks, but I think your data is a bit flawed as OS penetration is not an accurate indication of hardware sold.
Check here:
https://www.statista.com/statistics/263444/sales-of-apple-mac-computers-since-first-quarter-2006/
That's a chart based on hardware sold, not OS penetration.
Also of note, Windows penetration is now below 90 %, does that mean crisis for that camp too? I'm not too concerned :)

I can't view that link is there some where else that has the data?

Studio: Sonar Platinum/Cakewalk by Bandlab Intel Core i7 32GB RAM Samsung Evo 1TB system drive Windows 10 64bit - RME FireFace UFX - Focusrite OctoPre MK II - Audient Mico

Mobile: Sonar Platinum/Cakewalk by Bandlab Intel Core i7 8GB RAM Samsung Evo 1TB system drive Windows 10 64bit - RME FireFace 400

Mobile2: Cakewalk by Bandlab Intel Core i7 8GB RAM 256 GB System Drive Windows 10 64 bit

http://www.karhide.co.uk/
https://karhide.bandcamp.com
azslow3
Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3297
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/26 16:59:44 (permalink)
brconflict
Under WINE, can you run a project of 56 tracks, each with at minimum 4 Take Lanes per track, and 3 emulation Waves plug-ins per track at default buffer settings without audio frequent drop-outs?

My old computer could not run that independent from OS is use (my desktop also)

As I have written, I have not optimized my current notebook. Just a quick test with X2 and MME driver (so over 100ms) have shown that 30 tracks with PC EQ+Comp+Tube and 3 old CW plug-ins each (not a real project, just rendered TruePiano clip, than cloned) runs fine but already consumes significant CPU. Adding yet another 30 such tracks saturate the system, but adding 30 tracks without PC turned on has not increased CPU consumption significantly.

I can not reboot to Windows now to compare...
Testing 2 CPU 32 threads server is long in my plans, but I will need somehow route audio throw network to test.

WINE isn't really an emulator, correct. It's a translator.

So many terms was used in this thread already, a "translator" is normally perceived as a compiler/interpreter. An "emulator" is normally hardware emulator, "visualization" as a hardware emulator or a hypervisor...

So I propose we call the technology a "wrapper". Wine is not emulating any hardware not it use any visualization. It is also not normally applied during compilation, it is using original binary code unchanged. It also has no inter process communications internally, like bit bridging, so there should be no penalty moving the data between VST plug-ins (VST is multi-platform and so has no Windows specific code, so Sonar is calling plug-ins exactly the same way as on Windows, without any wrappers/bridges). There is normally significant penalty in graphics (X and Win32 API are very different) and sure some penalty in ASIO. But I do not see how that can significantly influence possible Sonar project size (assuming single stereo output from any project).
One note: I run 32bit versions of Sonar (64bit wine is still problematic with native MS libraries required).

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/26 17:19:07 (permalink)
C Hudson
Thanks, but I think your data is a bit flawed as OS penetration is not an accurate indication of hardware sold.
Check here:
https://www.statista.com/statistics/263444/sales-of-apple-mac-computers-since-first-quarter-2006/
That's a chart based on hardware sold, not OS penetration.
Also of note, Windows penetration is now below 90 %, does that mean crisis for that camp too? I'm not too concerned :)

What's getting lost is my original emphasis on desktop sales/interest among "creative" types. Sure, Apple is selling plenty of MacBook Pros to consumers, which is being lumped in with the statistics you're quoting above. Operating share usage stats are even more revealing, with Mac OS essentially flat (with arguably a slight overall decline) since 2012; it was rising every year before that.

But even with laptops in the mix, Apple's share of PC users has dropped to a five-year low and Macs were the biggest market share losers in 2016. Those are not the kind of stats that will make a company like Cakewalk feel all warm and fuzzy about breaking into the market. At least you'd want to break into a growing market.

Don't take my word about creative types questioning Apple's commitment to powerful machines, desktop or laptop, that meet our unique needs. Tim Cook had to reassure stockholders that Apple wasn't going to forget about computers for creators, and company representatives took the unusual (for Apple) tack of saying there would be great new desktops in 2018, but declined to give any details other than hinting that they were going to be "modular" and that Apple would be introducing a new display (although touch wasn't mentioned).

With all computers (desktop and laptop) making up around 10% or less of Apple's sales, it's no wonder the company would have priorities elsewhere...especially since the dominant operating system among all things microprocessor is neither Apple or Microsoft, but Android. If Apple wants to maintain its smartphone sales and keep iPads from declining any further, they have their work cut out for them.

As for switching, I agree, not much movement there, but to say the only users buying new systems are those upgrading and not new users is a stretch.

All stats I've seen indicate a flat market. Sure, there will always be new people coming in, but it's not even enough to offset the existing demographic that has either lost interest, died, quit the music business, or whatever.

The real issue is how to entice new users to opt for something other than $199 logic or full on Pro Tools rig. That's a real challenge.

New Mac users are mostly buying Logic. You can't beat $199 for a program that's guaranteed to run on the hardware made by the same company that makes the software. 

I don't have any particular axe to grind, I was Mac-only for 10 years and still lead a dual-platform life. But to me, computers are appliances. I don't care what logo is on a computer any more than I care whether a toaster is Sunbeam or GE (as long as it doesn't burn my toast). I have a relatively current MacBook Pro but an aging Mac desktop, and need to replace it since it has hit the Apple-imposed wall of how far I can update the operating system without buying new hardware. I've been wanting to buy a new Apple desktop but the R2D2 model doesn't do it for me, and I don't think I can wait until sometime in 2018 for something as yet unspecified. If I'm going to invest in a new computer, it will be another Windows machine to supplement the one I already have (which works just fine, but I like the idea of distributed video rendering and redundancy in my "studio A" and "studio B").

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
cparmerlee
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1153
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/26 18:15:11 (permalink)
Anderton
I can start a project on my MacBook Pro, then bring it over to my music computer as a .cwp file. ... useful for cross-platform SONAR users such as myself. 

I wonder if there would be any ongoing interest in a "field entry point" version of SONAR as opposed to a full feature MAC SONAR.  I makes no difference to me, as I don't operate in that mode and don't use a MacBook or any other Apple product.  But a lot of people do.

I guess the interoperability bridge is just too much ongoing work -- indicating the state of cross-platform frameworks. We have to appreciate that SONAR (and any other DAW for that matter) is an EXTREMELY complex piece of code that stresses the OS to its limits, so it is not surprising that cross-platform would be a big challenge.

As a (mostly former) software developer I must say this commitment to carrying the project to the promised prototype speaks very highly of Cakewalk / Gibson's integrity as a company.  Even those who are disappointed by this decision should celebrate that ethic.

DAW: SONAR Platinum Audio I/F: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 gen2
OS: Windows 10 64-bit CPU: Haswell 4790 4.0 GHz, 4 core, 8 thread  Memory: 16 GB      Video: GTX-760Ti
Storage: Sandisk SSD 500GB for active projects. ReadyNAS 20 TB for long-term storage

sonocrafters.com
Sir Les
  • Total Posts : 1182
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/26 22:00:18 (permalink)
Interesting how the brain thinks in terms of value put, or market shares...Again, I think it is time to rethink reasoning for....Troubles in ...And why.

If it is constantly based on that term used....It will never be trouble free.
And who is putting it in terms of Market? world sales?

Why is this code in peoples heads to do....And yet, do you see mother or father charge children to be born?...feed?...cleaned and cared for ?....

Yet, the burden to do, is causing Poverty, and much stress, and or ruin of many Peoples...and families...

Do you think Judging the crimes born into this system, and carefree is freely for fun to put the poor into prison because they cannot afford to have , what was totally given to have as given...Yet is not, because of this thinking imposed by...X...So it is always a error, or trouble and or something to point at and say....There is the problem, and they go Kill, or underhandedly use methods hidden to gain control and put under same mindset as Rome....

This Code or method or moral ethic to civic duty to pay and pray....Just points out more so the reason tied is not the proper way to really have that Trust, that stability...that freedom of trust....You cannot be Trusted, nor do they Trust in this system.

And they say Look at the cost, look at this, look at that...And compare the same old same old constants to say Nah we cannot do.

Do you see what wall is before them saying it?.....Lies to many, and many say that lie is the way.....Nope!

I guess no matter how many times we go in circles, some will never admit where the error is...and yet they will never let it go, because that is all they see as being of reason to gain...be it wealth.

Many nations have tied to the method...many nations are now sick, suffering, and surely saying same...Poor too many of...And too many to serve....But it is not the money doing it?.....Well I know who said it is that very thing making all the sin and crime be born by....When destitution is oppression put to use!

And if no way to make the ends meet in that system....Prostitution is born of many!...sold as, and all lawful now?.

So, circles in that stay in that circle....You may gain some, and loose all in the end...and many have!

That is why...To show the proof, one must test the other side of zero....who's fault , and what causes the troubles, the jinn, the error, and the downfall of doing things because we can?.....And it is not me who said it, But I sure will repeat it........IDOLS.....Keep your selves from these things....For they do not give any answers, and support nothing without You and them and all put to shame, putting it first and foremost to get or have put or used to make anything....and if so done...accidentals collisions and worse....more lies to cover it up, the blood sought, said they are evil doers?...and yet look at those holding that thing more important still in their heads...saying what market shares make it impossible to make work, or try to...because not enough money is in hand?.....more lies eh?...yep!

That being said.....Is it being researched?....I just did!.

Cheers.

1. Intel 5960x 3.5mhz , ASUS x99 deluxe u3.1, Asus Thunderbolt ex II,   G skills f4 3000 Memory 32GB , ADATA ssd 250GB Main Drive, Lots of WD Red 7200 Mechanical Drives with Black Drives, 14x multi optical Drive, LG Multi Blu Drive,  2X Extern WD Mybooks usb 3.0, AMD r7 270 video card, Motu 828x TB , Motu Midi XT.
2.  USING MAC PRO, as win 10 has damaged 2 x99 systems 8.1 is also to blame for the final burnout trying to roll back!

3.  Something Wonderful: https://1drv.ms/f/s!AlHkRy9cXBbYpQNvVBCt8r7fQ5PS
RSMCGUITAR
Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1318
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/26 22:05:04 (permalink)
I am now much dumber, having read that.
backwoods
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2571
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/26 22:10:01 (permalink)
"Also of note, Windows penetration is now below 90 %, does that mean crisis for that camp too? I'm not too concerned :)"

lol %90 is a hell of a lot better than %3

Sir Les
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/26 22:11:05 (permalink)
RSMCGUITAR

Dumb is not a shame....if yee be more in tune to freedom....And we know what that means?....freedom to make it right...when all is not right....Do we come to help?....are we paid to help?....nah...but it is rewarding when those helping...Do, because it is the right thing to do....and when it is done properly....Does it not stand as done well?

That said....Dumb and Dummer....Are not tied to intelligent babble....Wink.

1. Intel 5960x 3.5mhz , ASUS x99 deluxe u3.1, Asus Thunderbolt ex II,   G skills f4 3000 Memory 32GB , ADATA ssd 250GB Main Drive, Lots of WD Red 7200 Mechanical Drives with Black Drives, 14x multi optical Drive, LG Multi Blu Drive,  2X Extern WD Mybooks usb 3.0, AMD r7 270 video card, Motu 828x TB , Motu Midi XT.
2.  USING MAC PRO, as win 10 has damaged 2 x99 systems 8.1 is also to blame for the final burnout trying to roll back!

RSMCGUITAR
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/26 22:12:17 (permalink)
Utterly meaningless.
Pragi
  • Total Posts : 1173
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/26 22:16:14 (permalink)
Sir Les
RSMCGUITAR

That said....Dumb and Dummer.....

But now  I know, off course, you are a drummer
Sir Les
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/26 22:24:23 (permalink)
Here is a lesson to learn of World under Dominion of democratic musings.

David Sazuki went into the rain forest...and spoke to a tribes men chief, about the western worlds incoming greedy spying out Land not theirs to take without asking, onto, into his lands blocked by walls put, and words said to not enter.

Those brought to speak for western world, said, Wealth is in your lands, and you can be rich, if you let us get it for you.

The chief said....Is it in our lands this wealth?.
The western invaders said, Yes.

The chief said, then leave it where it is, and go away , for if my land is rich, Then all upon it are also!

Did they listen to reason?....No, they still survey the lands, and take without permission, and now seek oil and other things out of the ground to dig up, and ruin the lungs of the Earth for pollution and or wealth!...not caring, never shared, and always fighting for....Now they seek to wipe out those tribes to get in without a fight....By way of war....Call them savages....Put them in a bad light...in the way of progress.....And many will say....It has been done before, and ...that is the way we do it....

Is it right to do?...and if done this way always as is history.......IS IT RIGHTEOUSNESS?.....If opposed by one or some....and it is not the land to take...But ask, if asking...and no is the reply.....Then?....That is the problem with lies and liars......You cannot Trust them to understand NO...or YES....As those terms do not matter, for they always do the opposite of whatever is said as truth!....if it be truth told.....They go the other way!

And that is one reason why some say they ware ties around their necks....easier to hang by!

Yet even they tighten it around the neck of themselves....Thinking how smart and snug it is doing it...until.

Crash!.

Sir Les
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/26 22:54:45 (permalink)
Pragi
Sir Les
RSMCGUITAR

That said....Dumb and Dummer.....

But now  I know, off course, you are a drummer

And if I am Judged falsely for being....It is because I did not learn the ways of ruin.....Fracking it up for wealth....surely shows the foolish are worse off, when nothing but dust is left to eat....They might come to reason too late!....And some on the western side of the wall......Are waring masks to breathe,...and many things dying from unknown sicknesses......And the water tainted by...and the life...made to suffer much pain....And yet they still do the outlandish stupidity onward they do, knowing full well it is not well to do...But they do it for wealth...not life!

For they care not for living things...Right?...dumb, is not taught...That is not a error....That is a attribute of not being taught.

If so taught what is good, and not good..or very Good to perfect....And they do the perfect thing and stay dumb...because of monsters being made by...And they saw, and they know....Yoke around the necks of them whom harm the Earth or EA...Gyah....Will suffer ....And they do?...Yep!

Now back to reason.

Cause and effect....Only the ones who made all, can now save this planet.....And they will not come until...All is said as was said by he whom made all .....And in likeness it is made.....Given!..shared, well attended to do, and do in attendance of Truth and good will.

Is that coming out of the mouth of babes today, if father and mother say what to me?.

Well more learning cometh this way wicked....And you lock your doors....why?...scared of what was made on the other side of this are we?...need a nuke?....be mindful of what the hand has made to spite the means....of what was done...for...is to gain the intent back proper.

Now, If this earth has a end...And I know it doesn't really end....It sure has stud a testament of time under foolish care takers...ruining all of it for wealth sake....Not health sake?...wow

I like dumber in care over all living in good stewardship more so ....if not knowing...But seeing is believing....I believe safe is best then sorry keeping it clean and well cared for with Truth and in some cases love of life be a true reward in health over put all in all....and why sorry if best is put to task to do, and it is done...first to make?

No sorrys!...forgiveness is for those in sin, seeing and knowing, and asking for to be forgiven 77 x 11....Those who clean themselves of it...Need not be held under any Judgement...But tested are we not all?...Proof?...and why do we need troubleshooters?....Because trouble is with something being upheld....so it is never solved for?....well, test the resolve and see....But you know those who say...it cannot be done....only will say it to keep the idol in play!

Know them by their fruits.

And keep the commandments of Life....and live doing more than they can!

awake1994
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/26 23:18:09 (permalink)
AndertonBut even with laptops in the mix, Apple's share of PC users has dropped to a five-year low and Macs were the biggest market share losers in 2016. Those are not the kind of stats that will make a company like Cakewalk feel all warm and fuzzy about breaking into the market. At least you'd want to break into a growing market.

Maybe. My though about this is, nobody knows exactly the counts of this or that. If a stakeholder loves Windows, OSX will loose and vice versa. In the world of creatives we do have BOTH worlds and the revenue kicks OSX away. Maybe. But this is NOT the point! I like your very professional approach, it's great. But we don't have a "Musical OS", we have an OS we have to work with and sometimes we must leave the DAW-Cocoon.
I'm not an Apple-Fanboy and I don't like the yearly "great update" of OSX, it's unprofessional I though, but in the last couple of month for me, Windows is a mess. It begins with dozens VST-Path and ends up with the deep knowledge how to pick up the interface. Again, it's a mess and it gave me no more benefits, no 1ms more latency but more "Sonar didn't response" than Cubase or Studio One. I've never do something "under the hood" while on OSX, it still works.

SPlatinum / SL16.0.2 / Win10 on iMac
kevinwal
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1066
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/27 00:39:39 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby abacab 2017/04/27 01:05:02
It isn't a perfect OS to be sure, but I personally find Windows to be a fabulous platform for making music. I'm not as long in the tooth Cakewalk-wise as many members here are having only been using Sonar since 7.0 (what was that, 2002-ish?) but Cakewalk and Windows has always been a very stable dynamic duo for me personally. Edit: I include Windows 10 in that assessment too, including the most recent Creator's update.

Granted, I do not use Sonar as a vehicle for making a living, but if I did I would be pretty careful to not do anything that might jeopardize the stability of the platform, including managing backups and software updates and thoughtful selection of the hardware and software components that make up the system. That includes using the right OS version (pro vs. home edition) with the right enabling features for the task at hand. In fact I'd probably turn to a pro to help me set all that stuff up and to provide ongoing support.

That said, I do use my computer to make my living and my customers do too, some in pretty unfriendly environments managed by often indifferent IT people, and interfacing with a pretty large variety of wildly proprietary devices and remote services of sometimes dubious stability. Windows has almost never the problem in any of the many operational calamities I've dealt with over the years. The one time it was was due to an IT staff oversight, and it was quickly found and dealt with.

Like Craig says, the OS is an appliance. The fact is, Windows is an astonishingly capable and stable appliance despite the mind-boggling variety of devices it runs on and the stupefying array of devices it can talk to. 

I am personally looking forward to hearing Cakewalk's plans for being the first virtual-reality enabled DAW on HoloLens. How about it, Noel? :)

Kevin Walsh
My latest tunes are at Reverbnation, please give a listen!

EVGA X58 Classified III, 24GB Kingston RAM, i7/970 6 core
256GB SSD, 2TB HD
Windows 10 Build 10586, Sonar Platinum, 2016.03
MOTU 8Pre Interface
C Hudson
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 990
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/27 01:14:34 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Rain 2017/04/27 01:21:45
backwoods
"Also of note, Windows penetration is now below 90 %, does that mean crisis for that camp too? I'm not too concerned :)"

As I said, I'm not worried:)
FWIW Craig's data only had 1 version of Mac OS. The 90 % has every flavour of windows. Semantics I know, as all totalled most likely still 7% , but billy bob in the trailer park running his 250 dollar Walmart notebook that runs windows is part of that 90% . There are millions more billy bobs than there are audio professionals running windows so any discussions about its merits based on how many people run windows vs how many run macs is kind of silly. More people will run windows for the foreseeable future because it can run on a broad scope of hardware and as such, can be installed on el cheapo machines and high end machines. I bet el cheapo out sells top tier 1000:1. Just a guess, but I bet not far off . Let's go make some music now....

Best

CH
tlw
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2567
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/27 03:04:07 (permalink)
brconflict
I'm actually an Ubuntu fan, and Linux OS's are by far some of the most reliable and speediest OS's on the planet, relied upon by the savviest of businesses. My company uses Linux machines in physical and AWS cloud-based form to much success. This is why WINE could potentially be pretty fast. The OS underneath is stripped down of nearly everything else that's intensive. Windows and Mac OS can't easily be so stripped down, unfortunately. 

Windows not so easily of at all, but MacOS is essentially a Unix system that includes a lot of open source software, including most of the everyday Gnu and Unix tools with the proprietary Aqua interface and applications on top. As a system it seems and feels less resource intensive than Windows and less inclined to leave you with no option other than forcing a reboot using the power switch when an application goes into a bottomless boggle and refuses to respond. Though that does happen once in a rare while.

Apple make their base open source Unix system freely available to anyone who wants it. It's called Apple Darwin.
https://opensource.apple....lease/macos-10124.html

So if you want a Mac stripped down to a terminal and X Windows system, there you pretty much go. Don't know if it would run on non Apple hardware though, or with a different kernel and set of drivers.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
ampfixer
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5508
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/27 03:45:54 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby bapu 2017/04/27 15:51:27
I'm convinced that Sir Les is completely automated. Just sayin'.

Regards, John 
 I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
RSMCGUITAR
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/27 03:46:31 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby FCCfirstclass 2017/05/09 12:59:06
More like medicated
jackson white
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 283
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/27 05:11:57 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby RSMCGUITAR 2017/04/27 05:12:24
more like blocked. 

--------------------
Some pieces of wood with wires and bits of metal stuck in them, silicon and plastic
Bristol_Jonesey
  • Total Posts : 16775
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/27 08:26:26 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby RSMCGUITAR 2017/04/28 17:43:29
I'm surprised he hasn't been banned because his posts NEVER contribute to the discussion at hand, it's just inane ramblings about, well, I don't really know what they're about.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
karhide
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 457
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/27 08:34:40 (permalink)
Bristol_Jonesey
I'm surprised he hasn't been banned because his posts NEVER contribute to the discussion at hand, it's just inane ramblings about, well, I don't really know what they're about.

I guess it is because no one can understand his posts and get upset by them.  I've tried to read a few of his posts but normally give up. 

Studio: Sonar Platinum/Cakewalk by Bandlab Intel Core i7 32GB RAM Samsung Evo 1TB system drive Windows 10 64bit - RME FireFace UFX - Focusrite OctoPre MK II - Audient Mico

Mobile: Sonar Platinum/Cakewalk by Bandlab Intel Core i7 8GB RAM Samsung Evo 1TB system drive Windows 10 64bit - RME FireFace 400

Mobile2: Cakewalk by Bandlab Intel Core i7 8GB RAM 256 GB System Drive Windows 10 64 bit

http://www.karhide.co.uk/
https://karhide.bandcamp.com
Sanderxpander
Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3873
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/27 09:08:35 (permalink)
C Hudson
backwoods

FWIW Craig's data only had 1 version of Mac OS. The 90 % has every flavour of windows. Semantics I know, as all totalled most likely still 7% , but billy bob in the trailer park running his 250 dollar Walmart notebook that runs windows is part of that 90% . There are millions more billy bobs than there are audio professionals running windows so any discussions about its merits based on how many people run windows vs how many run macs is kind of silly. More people will run windows for the foreseeable future because it can run on a broad scope of hardware and as such, can be installed on el cheapo machines and high end machines. I bet el cheapo out sells top tier 1000:1. Just a guess, but I bet not far off . Let's go make some music now....

FWIW, I know we won't see eye to eye on this and we don't have to, but for my part I wasn't saying that the studios around me around using OSX anymore, but rather that they don't buy Mac computers anymore. Three of them built hackintoshes due to the lack of sensible high end Apple desktop computers.
Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
Cakewalk Staff
  • Total Posts : 6475
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/27 12:22:16 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jackson white 2017/04/27 15:38:42
brconflict
Under WINE, can you run a project of 56 tracks, each with at minimum 4 Take Lanes per track, and 3 emulation Waves plug-ins per track at default buffer settings without audio frequent drop-outs? 

WINE isn't really an emulator, correct. It's a translator.

I'm actually an Ubuntu fan, and Linux OS's are by far some of the most reliable and speediest OS's on the planet, relied upon by the savviest of businesses. My company uses Linux machines in physical and AWS cloud-based form to much success. This is why WINE could potentially be pretty fast. The OS underneath is stripped down of nearly everything else that's intensive. Windows and Mac OS can't easily be so stripped down, unfortunately. 

WINE is essentially an implementation of the Windows API on the host platform (in this case MAC). The implementation uses native services available on MacOS. i.e its NOT actually running an emulated Windows OS but redirecting the API's used by an application to a native implementation for them.  In most cases the implementation is quite efficient, and details like having many tracks is irrelevant since all that code is running natively inside SONAR and isn't OS specific at all. In fact by the same measure the engine is 100% running in SONAR's code so WINE makes no difference there.
Where performance does differ is where the implementation of some Windows API's can be less efficient. For example some UI functions may not perform as well as native windows. In those cases we worked with Crossover and they made fixes/or optimizations to greatly improve it. It can be an ongoing process...
FWIW some WINE implementations are actually more performant than Windows, since they have less code and thereby less overhead. The biggest issue with the Wine approach is that you need to have Windows versions of the plugin's which makes it awkward for Mac users who may only have AU versions of plugins for example. There are potential ways around that but we didn't get to it for the alpha.
post edited by Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk] - 2017/04/27 13:38:14

Noel Borthwick
Senior Manager Audio Core, BandLab
My Blog, Twitter, BandLab Profile
Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/27 14:36:45 (permalink)
C Hudson
backwoods

FWIW Craig's data only had 1 version of Mac OS.

Not true, the stats for the first two years included a couple flavors of Mac OS and I also stated that older versions were probably part of the small percentage of "other." However it's also the case that Macs are more likely to stay current for two reasons: They're not deployed as often in enterprise situations where updating means going through thousands of machines, and compatibility issues.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Rain
  • Total Posts : 9736
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/27 15:51:16 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby coolbass 2017/04/27 23:32:23
Anderton
C Hudson
backwoods

FWIW Craig's data only had 1 version of Mac OS.

Not true, the stats for the first two years included a couple flavors of Mac OS and I also stated that older versions were probably part of the small percentage of "other." However it's also the case that Macs are more likely to stay current for two reasons: They're not deployed as often in enterprise situations where updating means going through thousands of machines, and compatibility issues.

This is anecdotal but if there is one thing which seems a constant in every studio I've visited and among the people who work there, it's that they tend to always be a few versions behind and usually avoid upgrades and updates as much as possible (OS and DAW software - I don't think I know anyone who runs Pro Tools 12).

When the computer is but one component and when there is a lot of hardware involved (AVID control surfaces, DSP cards, etc), people often seem to value a stable, working configuration over the lastest/fastest.

Of course, that is just my personal observation. But still... Most Mac owners I know don't really care for the latest/fastest. They have many other priorities before that.

As I mentioned earlier, the fact that Abbey Road decided to equip its 2 new studios with Mac computers - despite them being a few generations behind - illustrate just that. It's certainly not because they couldn't afford killer PCs.

Obviously, that's just one segment of the industry. But in my personal experience, that attitude is not uncommon in other segments too. 
post edited by Rain - 2017/04/28 01:18:27

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
Keni
Max Output Level: -17.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5769
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/27 17:31:25 (permalink)

Anyone notice that the ownership data in help for the prototype shows a 1 year ownership?

Did I read that correctly? This version will only bo good for 1 year?

I hope that's not right....

Keni Fink
Keni - Facebook
Deep Space Records
http://www.reverbnation.com/inexile
http://www.cdbaby.com/artist/inexile
Out Of My Head Music (BMI)

SPlat/MacPro/Dual Xeon 3.06GHz 6-core (12 total)/64GB/Win8.1X64/Presonus 1818VSL/Soundscape SS8IO-1
Alex Westner [Cakewalk]
Administrator
  • Total Posts : 80
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/27 17:36:50 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Keni 2017/04/27 18:28:58
Keni

Anyone notice that the ownership data in help for the prototype shows a 1 year ownership?

It's not time-limited - as long as nothing breaks in Mac OS X, it'll continue to work.

Alex Westner
VP Product Strategy & Innovation

Keni
Max Output Level: -17.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5769
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/27 18:30:05 (permalink)
Alex Westner [Cakewalk]
Keni

It's not time-limited - as long as nothing breaks in Mac OS X, it'll continue to work.

Whew! ;-)

Thanks Alex!

Keni Fink
Keni - Facebook
Deep Space Records
http://www.reverbnation.com/inexile
http://www.cdbaby.com/artist/inexile
Out Of My Head Music (BMI)

SPlat/MacPro/Dual Xeon 3.06GHz 6-core (12 total)/64GB/Win8.1X64/Presonus 1818VSL/Soundscape SS8IO-1
brconflict
Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1891
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/27 20:27:38 (permalink)
Is the prototype abandonware (never liked that term), or is it going to still see fixes for issues uncovered up to that 1-year? I wouldn't mind using it, if I can get it running on my Mac.

Brian

Sonar Platinum, Steinberg Wavelab Pro 9, MOTU 24CoreIO w/ low-slew OP-AMP mods and BLA external clock, True P8, Audient ASP008, API 512c, Chandler Germ500, Summit 2ba-221, GAP Pre-73, Peluso 22251, Peluso 2247LE, Mackie HR824, Polk Audio SRS-SDA 2.3tl w/upgraded Soniccraft crossovers and Goertz cables, powered by Pass-X350. All wiring Star-Quad XLR or Monster Cable. Power by Monster Power Signature AVS2000 voltage stabilizer and Signature Pro Power 5100 PowerCenter on a 20A isolation shielded circuit.
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 9 of 11
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1