Helpful Replymessage from Greg Ondo of Steinberg

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 9 of 17
Author
JClosed
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 690
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/26 16:31:28 (permalink)
cyberzip
I have a few questions for someone who has used Cubase and Sonar:
  1. How is the MIDI editing in Cubase 9.5 compared to SPlat? As good as, worse or better?
  2. How is working with WAV loops and can you audition/preview loops in time with the project?
  3. How is the general performance and stability compared to Sonar?
Fun fact: I noticed that Cubase just received a 64 bit mixing engine in v9.5, Sonar had that since (at least) 2005... :)

Thanks for any input!

1. MIDI editing in Cubase is one of the main reasons I "jumped ship" earlier this year. It's really good, but you have to learn some new things and adapt to another work-flow. That said, it was easy for me to make the jump from Sonar. With the new Cubase 9.5 you can even pick up a MIDI clip and drop it into an sampler track, to create a audio loop that can be edited like any audio clip.

2. I do not use loops very often, but I recall you can indeed audition/preview the loops in time with the project.

3. For me the performance is good. Comparable with Sonar. And the program is rock-stable on my computer. But, like it's often the case, it all depends on good and stable hardware of course.

Hope this helps.
javahut
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 361
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/26 16:44:48 (permalink)
Wow. They took down the Steinberg sticky because a few didn't like it? 

For anyone thinking about Cubase... I purchased the Cubase Pro crossgrade $255 from Sweetwater Friday. Got a call from the sales rep same day. Asked me if I was aware that I purchased a crossgrade. I told him yes... from Sonar. He sent the receipts and download info the same day. I already have a eLicenser, as I was thinking about some getting software that required it, but ended up never purchasing it.

I installed the eLicenser and Control Center with no problems. Got the download link for Steinberg's Download Assistant. Downloaded the entire 11.5 GB Friday night... within a couple hours or so at 3MBps... with no problems. Installed and activated Saturday morning. Have my VST and VSTi menus set up. About ready to dive in with a first project.

Cubase Pro looks fairly easy to get into, but appears able to go quite deep if needed. Think I'll get the Streamworks Cubase 9 training to get a better handle on it. I stopped using Sonar VSTs and VSTi long ago because there's so much 3rd party stuff that's just better for what I want to do. So I was also able to install Cubase Pro with none of the extra instruments, as I just want a fully functioning DAW.

I'm glad Steinberg came on the forum, and the sticky was posted. Got Cubase Pro up and running within a couple days, with no problems whatsoever, and for a great crossgrade price. I'll use Sonar for the projects I had going. But plan to start delving into Cubase Pro post haste.

On Sonar, it's really developed into a great DAW, and is (was) working more flawlessly than ever (for me, since 2005). Hard to believe that somehow all the great work and code that went into its creation could just be dropped. But if it wasn't profitable, and couldn't get market share to keep it afloat... taking it offline for any length of time, and the uncertainty of future support, will just make it that much harder to get any market share in the future. I don't see it coming back. Would be nice for MS to fully pick it up and support it. But they either are or aren't... all the petition signing in the world won't make it so.

Good luck Sonar users!

downtempo.dub.psychedelic.twang
Canartic.Modulotion.out now!
Canartic . Lossless Downloads now available.
cityrat
  • Total Posts : 671
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/26 16:45:36 (permalink)
35mm
I have heard people saying that the crossgrade they got from Sweetwater is not a full package. The plugins are demo versions. So that maybe something to watch out for.

That doesn't sound right.
Can someone who bought from SW confirm or deny this?  Not something that should be guessed at.

Sonar Platinum | Windows 7 64 bit SP1 | Intel i5 3570 3.4GHz | 8GB RAM | Gigabyte GA-B75-D3H | OCZ SSD | RME 9632
35mm
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1105
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/26 17:02:10 (permalink)
cityrat
35mm
I have heard people saying that the crossgrade they got from Sweetwater is not a full package. The plugins are demo versions. So that maybe something to watch out for.

Can someone who bought from SW confirm or deny this?  Not something that should be guessed at.

No, it doesn't sound right. I saw this from a post on the Steinberg forums;
"...I am wondering if this cross-grade is going to be with all instruments (VST) full version? The one what I got from Sweetwater has only trial version of all VST. To buy full versions I'll pay all together as much as regular price."

Splat, Win 10 64bit and all sorts of musical odds and sods collected over the years, but still missing a lot of my old analogue stuff I sold off years ago.
JClosed
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/26 17:19:35 (permalink)
cityrat
35mm

It looks like a strange story to me. As far as I know there is no "Limited Pro" edition. It could be that they mistake the Halion Sonic SE edition for a demo version. Halion Sonic SE 3 is not the full Halion or Halion Sonic of course. But Halion Sonic SE 3 is fully functional and you can also buy great sound packages for it (I personally like the "Dark Planet" soundset). The same goes for Groove Agent SE 4. It's fully functional, but a cut down version from the full Groove Agent 4. Do not mistake "cut down" for "limited", because you can do a LOT with those Plugins.
TerraSin
Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1975
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/26 17:24:20 (permalink)
cityrat

Shouldn't be. Sweetwater advertises it as the complete product.

JohanSebatianGremlin
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 402
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/26 17:26:47 (permalink)
Though I rarely do this, once in a blue moon I will have a reason to mention to someone that I'm atheist. Sometimes they'll say something along the lines of 'Oh, well you don't know what you're missing so maybe you should read the bible just to see if its for you...' And I tell them that I have read the bible and that's why I'm atheist. 

Though I rarely do this, once in a blue moon I will have a reason to mention to someone that I use Sonar. Sometimes they'll say something along the lines of 'Oh, well you don't know what you're missing so maybe you should try Cubase just to see if its for you...' And I tell them that I have used Cubase and that's why I use Sonar. 

Sonar is a dead horse so I guess I'm going to have to ride a dead horse for a while. But sooner or later I'm going to have to find a new DAW. I have no idea what that will be, but based on my experience with it, if Cubase is really be the best substitute for Sonar my days of making music might be numbered. I'll try it when the time comes. But I ain't holding out much hope.

If gear was the determining factor, we would all have a shelf full of Grammies and a pocket full of change.  -microapp

i7, 32gb RAM, Win10 64bit, RME UFX
Resonant Serpent
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 463
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/26 17:55:35 (permalink)
https://www.steinberg.net...cubase/comparison.html

"including HALion Sonic SE, Groove Agent SE, Padshop, Retrologue and LoopMash"

Halion and Groove Agent come as cut down versions of the their bigger siblings, but are far from a demo state. They both have huge libraries.

A deep chesty bawl echoes from rimrock to rimrock, rolls down the mountain, and fades into the far blackness of the night. It is an outburst of wild defiant sorrow, and of contempt for all the adversities of the world. - Aldo Leopold
Steve_Karl
Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2534
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/26 18:02:53 (permalink)
"Over 5 hours of HD video tutorials "

Would love to know 
1) Where they are
2) are they organised under one user name.

Steve Karl
https://soundcloud.com/steve_karl
SPLAT 2017.01
cparmerlee
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1153
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/26 18:23:39 (permalink)
JohanSebatianGremlin
Though I rarely do this, once in a blue moon I will have a reason to mention to someone that I'm atheist.

Don't worry.  We won't tell anybody. :)

I know what you mean about SONAR's reputation.  It was the biggest secret in the DAW industry.  The big problem was that the X1/X2 stability was really poor for many users and Cakewalk never recovered from that- although they really did make a heroic effort.  Now that we have to assess other DAWs, I am coming to the conclusion that none of them are nearly as elegant as SONAR.

Cubase looks OK, but feels like a 1990s program to me -- a 1990s program that runs well and has a lot of function added recently.  Functionally, it has some very strong areas (notation, chord track and probably some other really strong areas).  And it has some  significant voids -- the poor Melodyne support being the biggest one I have come across. 

What troubles me most about the lack of ARA support is the fact that Steinberg seems to think their own pitch and time correction code is so good that they simply don't understand why anybody would want a seamless Melodyne implementation.  I'm not sure I want to get hooked up with a company that thinks that way.  I would like to see a clear statement of direction about industry standards.

DAW: SONAR Platinum Audio I/F: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 gen2
OS: Windows 10 64-bit CPU: Haswell 4790 4.0 GHz, 4 core, 8 thread  Memory: 16 GB      Video: GTX-760Ti
Storage: Sandisk SSD 500GB for active projects. ReadyNAS 20 TB for long-term storage

sonocrafters.com
vladasyn
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1092
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/26 18:28:04 (permalink)
I already moved to Cubase. Here is my thread on their forum with questions and issues I am encountering:

https://www.steinberg.net...4&p=690516#p690516

https://soundcloud.com/vlada-astral 
http://vladasyn.wix.com/astral#
I am a female. Windows 8.1
Custom DAW Intel Core I7 3770K, 16 Gb memory, SSD+ 2 x 2 Gb storage. Presonus StudioLive 24.
  Multiple keyboards and modules, software synths.  
RickJP909
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 155
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/26 18:34:17 (permalink)
cparmerlee
I know what you mean about SONAR's reputation.  It was the biggest secret in the DAW industry.  The big problem was that the X1/X2 stability was really poor for many users and Cakewalk never recovered from that- although they really did make a heroic effort.  Now that we have to assess other DAWs, I am coming to the conclusion that none of them are nearly as elegant as SONAR.

Cubase looks OK, but feels like a 1990s program to me -- a 1990s program that runs well and has a lot of function added recently.  Functionally, it has some very strong areas (notation, chord track and probably some other really strong areas).  And it has some  significant voids -- the poor Melodyne support being the biggest one I have come across. 

What troubles me most about the lack of ARA support is the fact that Steinberg seems to think their own pitch and time correction code is so good that they simply don't understand why anybody would want a seamless Melodyne implementation.  I'm not sure I want to get hooked up with a company that thinks that way.  I would like to see a clear statement of direction about industry standards.

Funny as I've never had Sonar X1 or X2 crashing with all the updates applied.  However, another producer friend of mine was forever battling with Cubase because it frequently bombed out and this was evident to me from what I saw being posted by their users in forums.

I also can't stomach having a hardware dongle and having to pay for it too!  My PCs USB ports are full to the brim because I use a lot of hardware so Cubase has some way to go before I'll use it, even though I've been playing with a trial version.

Synth Hardware Aficionado!  Moog Sub 37, Roland MKS-70/XV-5080/JV-1000/JP-8000/JP-8080/Boutique JP-08, Oberheim Matrix-1000, Korg EX-8000/MS2000B, Novation Super Bass Station/A-Station/Drum Station 2/Supernova 2, E-MU Orbit-3, Edirol UM-550/880, Lexicon MX300, Akai MPD226, Mackie ProFX22, M-Audio Delta Soundcard.  PC: AMD FX-6350, 8GB RAM, Samsung 840 EVO SSD, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Sonar X2a Producer/Platinum (32-bit).
JClosed
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/26 18:34:32 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Steve_Karl 2017/11/26 19:12:11
Steve_Karl
"Over 5 hours of HD video tutorials "

Would love to know 
1) Where they are
2) are they organised under one user name.

You can access tutorials in the Steinberg Hub you see when starting the program.
There are also loads of tutorials in the Cubase YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcQBdibdDxH2ngu3kNPYOEA/playlists

vladasyn
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1092
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/26 18:42:32 (permalink)
cparmerlee
JohanSebatianGremlin
Though I rarely do this, once in a blue moon I will have a reason to mention to someone that I'm atheist.

Don't worry.  We won't tell anybody. :)

It supports Rewire. I need to test Melodyne. 

https://soundcloud.com/vlada-astral 
http://vladasyn.wix.com/astral#
I am a female. Windows 8.1
Custom DAW Intel Core I7 3770K, 16 Gb memory, SSD+ 2 x 2 Gb storage. Presonus StudioLive 24.
  Multiple keyboards and modules, software synths.  
cityrat
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/26 19:44:27 (permalink)
Cubase 9.5 pro looks pretty amazing... still considering it.
The big negative for me seems to be the Steinberg forums.  Not a really warm, welcoming place compared to here.

Sonar Platinum | Windows 7 64 bit SP1 | Intel i5 3570 3.4GHz | 8GB RAM | Gigabyte GA-B75-D3H | OCZ SSD | RME 9632
Skyline_UK
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2133
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/26 19:48:08 (permalink)
cityrat
Cubase 9.5 pro looks pretty amazing... still considering it.
The big negative for me seems to be the Steinberg forums.  Not a really warm, welcoming place compared to here.

And all the posts have to be pre-approved which seems a wee bit officious.

My stuff

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600 @ 3.4GHz, 4 cores, 8 threads, 16GB RAM.
OS & Programs drive: 240GB SSD
Data drives: 1 x 1TB drive RAID mirrored, plus extra 1TB data drive 
Windows 10 Home 64 bit
Cakewalk by BandLab 64 bit, Studio One 3, 
Band In A Box 2016, Ozone 8
+ too many other plugins
BandLab page
ebibault51
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 91
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/26 20:09:09 (permalink)
No, Resonant Serpent, I meant the colours in the console view of SONAR. It's basically a Pro-Tools feature, that Cakewalk abandoned with Tungsten theme, but a quite important part of users liked it. And I think that Cubase hasn't got it.

SONAR Platinum - Intel i5-3570 @ 3,40 GHz, 4 cores - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 - Windows 10 (64 bits) - Roland QUAD-CAPTURE (ASIO mode) - Roland JUNO-G - Roland A-300PRO - AKAI MPK mini
dorism
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 590
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/26 20:09:39 (permalink)
The Steinberg forums are just like here. Lots of really cool & helpful people. At no point have my posts ever been pre approved.

www.thehadroncollider.co.uk
ebibault51
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/26 20:13:19 (permalink)
I think I'll accept the Cubase crossgrade offer. It would be cool to sign our messages in the Steinberg forum with "SONAR Crossgrade" or something else, we could recognize our SONAR friends and help each other to migrate to Cubase.

SONAR Platinum - Intel i5-3570 @ 3,40 GHz, 4 cores - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 - Windows 10 (64 bits) - Roland QUAD-CAPTURE (ASIO mode) - Roland JUNO-G - Roland A-300PRO - AKAI MPK mini
ibediggin
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 268
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/26 20:38:19 (permalink)
this is nuts

amd 10-6700 apu, 3.70 ghz,24gb 16gb usable.
sonar platinum 64 bit operating system latest upgrades
.komplete audio 6
WINDOWS 10
Resonant Serpent
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/26 21:01:21 (permalink)
dorism
The Steinberg forums are just like here. Lots of really cool & helpful people. At no point have my posts ever been pre approved.

If you're brand new, they put the brakes on and you need to be approved. But, they only did it to my first post and none after. This was about 1.5 years ago.

A deep chesty bawl echoes from rimrock to rimrock, rolls down the mountain, and fades into the far blackness of the night. It is an outburst of wild defiant sorrow, and of contempt for all the adversities of the world. - Aldo Leopold
Hangdog Cat
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 146
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/26 21:06:14 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Resonant Serpent 2017/11/26 21:11:00
ebibault51
I think I'll accept the Cubase crossgrade offer. It would be cool to sign our messages in the Steinberg forum with "SONAR Crossgrade" or something else, we could recognize our SONAR friends and help each other to migrate to Cubase.

How about "Sonar Refugee"?

Never do more in the morning than you can undo in the afternoon.

Computer: Creation Station CS450 V3 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1275 v3 @ 3.50GHz, 4 Cores, 8 Logical Processors
Windows 10: Latest update
Audio Interface: RME Fireface UFX
Resonant Serpent
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/26 21:12:38 (permalink)
ebibault51
No, Resonant Serpent, I meant the colours in the console view of SONAR. It's basically a Pro-Tools feature, that Cakewalk abandoned with Tungsten theme, but a quite important part of users liked it. And I think that Cubase hasn't got it.

Oh, I see now. The full strips can be colored in the track view, but you're right. Not in the mixer. It does the bottom name tab, and you can do the fader. I color my faders based on track type to keep things organized. 

beltrom
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 306
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/26 21:21:16 (permalink)
I went with the crossgrade on Steinbergs own shop. They verified that it was ok to crossgrade within an hour (on a Sunday!). 

I felt it was time to move on, deciding where to go was harder. The natural choice would have been Presonus Studio one V3, I had it since before and actually like a lot of things about it but I don't seem to be able to get really fluent with it for some weird reason. Reaper is impressive, and there are some brilliant solutions in there, but I would get confused by it all the time. Mixcraft was interesting and probably would be easiest to change to, but there's a couple of (just about) dealbreakers for me. So boldly/stupidly making the choice based on youtube and info on the web I got Cubase. I realise it's behind Sonar in some features (and better at some stuff) but the ara/melodyne-issue doesn't bother me that much, even though I have melodyne studio. If need be I can work melodyne as standalone, as a VST, rewire or even in Studio one, and if they add a couple of features to the Cubase solution I might actually never need melodyne. 

Really sad day for me. I've used Cakewalk since dos version 2 (have the box still). But it really feels like whatever will happen with Cakewalk and Sonar in the future I would anyway want to change my main DAW, so might as well do it now when this crossgrade is offered - and I will try to change my feelings towards anticipation to give Cubase a fair chance. Last time I tried it was over ten years ago...

markiv2290
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 19
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/26 21:43:49 (permalink)
35mm
If I do go this route I hope Cubase isn't as buggy as it was last time I used it - quite a few years ago :) The first time I used it was on an Atari ST around 1988ish.

Back in the days, I went from
Cool Edit Pro
to Cakewalk Pro Audio 9
to Cubase SX 1
to SX 2

I found Cubase SX to be very buggy and unstable. This is the precise reason why I switched to Sonar!

That was a long time ago though, so I do wonder how stable Cubase is nowadays.

Intel i7-3820 (LGA2011 ftw), Win 8.1, SaffirePro24, Sonar Studio
ebibault51
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/26 23:15:36 (permalink)
Thank you Resonant Serpent. If we can colour the faders, I think it will be OK!

Hangdog Cat: Sonar Refugee is a funny name :-)

TemplesGateStudio
  • Total Posts : 18
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/26 23:17:55 (permalink)
A Steinberg Customer Support Story (circa 2007?)

Years ago.. during the Cubase SX life cycle.. I had SX2 and upgraded to SX3.. and while Sx3 was out.. and still on sale in their online store (and of course retailers everywhere) Steinberg pulled the plug on "all support for SX3 and prior versions" to focus resources on something else. I forget if they were preparing to launch the new "Cubase 4" or something (actually I think it had to do with focusing development resources on making Cubase 4 64 bit).. I don't think it was Neundo but it may have been. Anyways.. there was a near riot on the Steinberg forums and many (including myself) left Cubase and went forward to find a new "DAW home." That search led me to Cakewalk Sonar 7.. and I've had every version of Sonar since.

I think the main issue was the decision to abandon their customers (and future customers before they even bought the software).. who's to say it won't ever happen again. I'm not interested in being in that mess again. Nor do I wish to use another dongle. They seemed to have a rather "flippant" attitude about their consumer base. I've bought Studio One Professional PLUS Notion 6 for under $210 this weekend at GC. No crossgrade, upgrade or anything. I'll cut my teeth on that. Heck, I might even have a reason to go Mac now.. Sonar was largely the only reason keeping me in Windoze land. 
Hangdog Cat
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 146
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/26 23:26:42 (permalink)
ebibault51
Thank you Resonant Serpent. If we can colour the faders, I think it will be OK!

Hangdog Cat: Sonar Refugee is a funny name :-)

I have to admit I didn't originate that term. Someone used it in an earlier post, probably on a different thread.

Never do more in the morning than you can undo in the afternoon.

Computer: Creation Station CS450 V3 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1275 v3 @ 3.50GHz, 4 Cores, 8 Logical Processors
Windows 10: Latest update
Audio Interface: RME Fireface UFX
cohenville1
  • Total Posts : 5
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/27 00:21:36 (permalink)
Does anyone know (Greg?) for how long the $255 Cubase crossgrade offer will be offered?  It's a little difficult to make such a decision in one weekend with all that has transpired.  Thanks... 
cityrat
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/27 01:05:16 (permalink)
cohenville1
Does anyone know (Greg?) for how long the $255 Cubase crossgrade offer will be offered?  It's a little difficult to make such a decision in one weekend with all that has transpired.  Thanks... 

^^^^^^^^^^^this +1

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 9 of 17
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1