Helpful Replymessage from Greg Ondo of Steinberg

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 7 of 17
Author
Chatswood
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/25 02:48:16 (permalink)
I bought Cubase for a school lab years ago. Some computers were stolen and we also lost the dongles. The insurance payout took about a month - different version of Cubase was then released but I couldn't afford to upgrade the entire lab, so had to teach with two different versions. It was a big decision to stop using Cubase as I loved it but I will no longer buy anything that uses a dongle. I do have a single Mac licence but haven't used it since I bought a new Macbook - dongles/adapters - easier to just use Logic. If Steinberg got rid of the dongle for edu multi seat licences then I would consider both Cubase and Dorico in the future. I'll keep using Sonar in the lab until I can afford to buy something else - students will still be able to learn skills that are transferable to other DAWS, but teaching using "dead" software is not ideal.
Hangdog Cat
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 146
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/25 03:14:18 (permalink)
mritenburg
Four questions:

1. Is the $255 crossgrade the one that is 50% off?
2. How long will the promotion run?
3. Does Sweetwater carry the USB eLicenser?
4. Up above Greg said that Cubase does support ARA, but there are subsequent posts complaining that it does not.  What is the full story on ARA support?

Thanks!

1. Yes.
2. IDK
3. Yes. I ordered one from them today.
4. I suspect that Greg made an unfortunate error/typo when he wrote "Cubase does offer ARA support but has a lot of functionality built in such as the Vari Audio editor for pitch correction." I think he meant to write "Cubase does NOT offer ARA support but has a lot of functionality built in such as the Vari Audio editor for pitch correction."

Check out this link: https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=252&t=108207

The most recent post in that thread is less than a month old, and they are still asking Steinberg to add ARA integration.

Never do more in the morning than you can undo in the afternoon.

Computer: Creation Station CS450 V3 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1275 v3 @ 3.50GHz, 4 Cores, 8 Logical Processors
Windows 10: Latest update
Audio Interface: RME Fireface UFX
deswind
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 952
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/25 05:32:24 (permalink)
I ordered from Sweetwater today - Cubase 9.5 crossgrade.  However, Sweetwater wrote to me and said they are having trouble processing my order - so I have no product to download yet ):
vintagevibe
Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2446
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/25 06:21:45 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Cactus Music 2017/11/25 14:55:42
35mm
Ken Matson
Yeah while I know Cubase is fine software, the combination of having to have a hardware dongle and the lack of ARA support is enough to probably push me to Studio One.

Yes, my thoughts exactly. Also having to pay to renew the license every time there's an update - not that you have to update each time, but from my past experience, you don't get free updates within a year or anything. I am torn about which way to go.

I own Sonar, Cubase 9 and Studio One 3.5.  Yes I agree that the dongle is draconian and definitely a downside of Cubase but I do all my out-of-studio stuff on an iPad now so that isn't such a problem for me anymore.  On the plus side, Cubase is a very deep professional program from a company (actually 2 Yamaha and Steinberg) that have shown serious dedication to the advancement of music technology.  I've been on it for over 2 years and still there are plenty of functions that I haven't learned yet.  I think the notation section of the manual might be as big as Sopnar's whole manual.  I don't miss the ARA stuff since Cubase's audio pitch and timing functions are very powerful. Since owning Cubase I've become quite a Steinberg fan.  I just purchased their Black Friday 40% off deal on Absolute 3 (their version of Komplete) and I'm blown away all over again. (I also own Komplete 11 Ultimate).  The only issue for me is that since there is so much in it I can get overwhelmed.  While its well thought out and logical, it has taken me some dedication to learn it - probably because there are so many options.

Studio One is a fine program with some very creative workflows from another dedicated and serious company.  I don't use it much anymore because, since it's still a new fairly new DAW, it's missing too many functions that I really need.  Others may not need the same things and find Studio One perfect as it its a really good DAW... just a little under-cooked at present IMO and for my needs.

Anyway hope this helps.  If anyone has any questions I'll help if I can.   (

P.S. I don't know much about Mixcraft but it sounds interesting.
vintagevibe
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/25 06:28:19 (permalink)
Greg Ondo
Cubase does offer ARA support but has a lot of functionality built in such as the VAri Audio editor for pitch correction.

All the best,

Greg

Hi Greg.  I'm a Cubase user and didn't realize Cubase has ARA support.  
cparmerlee
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1153
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/25 06:41:11 (permalink)
chuckebaby
If its for "Sonar only" users than im very grateful.

Looking at the Sweetwater site, this appears to be a general crossgrade offer from ANY qualifying product, nothing special for SONAR.

It seems that in some respects Cubase is lagging far behind what we were accustomed to with SONAR.  Is it true they are not supporting the Melodyne regions with ARA integration?  If 9.5 is only just out, then it seems we'd be looking at 2019 before getting that feature.  It is in StudioOne Already.

There are some aspects of Cubase that look interesting, but frankly I am put off by what seems like quite a limited architecture, where they only support a certain number of tracks and only a certain number of effects per track and so on.  It is hard to see that as a top tier product with such limitations.

DAW: SONAR Platinum Audio I/F: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 gen2
OS: Windows 10 64-bit CPU: Haswell 4790 4.0 GHz, 4 core, 8 thread  Memory: 16 GB      Video: GTX-760Ti
Storage: Sandisk SSD 500GB for active projects. ReadyNAS 20 TB for long-term storage

sonocrafters.com
Unknowen
Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1276
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/25 06:41:53 (permalink)
I will NEVER use a DAW that Spams a forum to get sales!!!
_ OFF!

Hay look,
Somethings are not locked in stone... lol 3/18/2019
AndrewLMacaulay
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 58
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/25 07:09:26 (permalink)
Some questions:
* level of multi monitor support
* level of support for hi-dpi monitors
* support for touch monitors
* plans for support for Surface devices: Pen and Dial
* more detail on 32-bit VST support/limitations on 64-bit version
* any support for DX/DXi
* MIDI FX included
* any support for/equivalent of ProChannel
AndrewLMacaulay
  • Total Posts : 58
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/25 07:11:43 (permalink)
Will this be recorded as well? Looks like I'll be driving at this time, so will be unable to attend.
SuperG
Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1371
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/25 07:13:05 (permalink)
I also decided to take advantage of the crossgrade offer. I had leanings towards StudioOne from Presonus, but I'm mainly a midi guy and that ultimately tipped the scales toward Cubase. I do use an outboard rompler and it's quite important to me. I made the purchase as soon Sweetwater came out with the $255 crossgrade price. I haven't gotten a dl link yet either, but I'm not worried. I'm on holiday and won't be home until Monday evening, and the elicenser key still has to come via snail mail.

laudem Deo
guitz
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 232
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/25 07:22:17 (permalink)
Is there a crossgrade link? Haven't been following things for last 2 days
vintagevibe
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/25 07:38:02 (permalink)
cparmerlee

There are some aspects of Cubase that look interesting, but frankly I am put off by what seems like quite a limited architecture, where they only support a certain number of tracks and only a certain number of effects per track and so on.  It is hard to see that as a top tier product with such limitations.

No track limits in the pro version. I don't know about the other versions.  16 FX inserts per track in the pro version.
SuperG
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/25 07:39:30 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby guitz 2017/11/25 07:55:15
This is a link to Sweetwater's Cubase competitive crossgrade

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CubaseP95CG

Please note that you will also need to order an elicenser dongle (as you probably don't happen to have one), and that will have to arrive via mail.

laudem Deo
SuperG
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/25 07:45:43 (permalink)
vintagevibe
cparmerlee

No track limits in the pro version. I don't know about the other versions.  16 FX inserts per track in the pro version.

I don't think I've ever had more than 4 fx on a single track. 16 doesn't seem like much of a limitation, although there's sure to be someone out there bumping into it.

laudem Deo
vintagevibe
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/25 07:45:45 (permalink)
AndrewLMacaulay
Some questions:
* more detail on 32-bit VST support/limitations on 64-bit version
* any support for DX/DXi
* MIDI FX included
* any support for/equivalent of ProChannel

*No 32 bit plugins without jBridge of equivalent  - a good move IMO since 32bit plugs are a major cause of issues and the technology as moved on.

*DX/DXi is a dead protocol.

*Lots of MIDI FX and processes  - far more than Sonar.

*What need is there for the equivalent of ProChannel?  Why have a proprietary plug-in protocol???
rabeach
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2703
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/25 08:33:12 (permalink)
What is everybody using for proof of purchase since the links to receipts in the store all forward to Noel's announcement.
whitealbum
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 112
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/25 09:02:15 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Helene Kolpakova 2017/11/26 00:41:12
As a mainly Cubase user (i use Sam ProX3, Sonar Platinum, S1 3 a little as well) i recommand the following:
1. There is no need to buy another DAW in "panic" mode
2. Write down (best in MS excel or open office) in a silent moment your "personal" important functions you really need, classify then
    in Must have, Could be and nice to have
    I'm sure you're gonne need some time, that will be a long list!
3. Then insert some other DAWs and proof if they have this function, and IMPORTANT, how well is this implemented !
    Note: Some users use Cubase, S1 3, Sonar and so on and can surely help.
4. Write down some functions that other DAWs have, but Sonar not (not easy, but we can help :)
5. Then decide, and be sure, you have time to choose!

Cubase Pro 9.5 64 Bit | CBB | Samplitude ProX3 | Win7 64 | Gigabyte X99 UD7 WiFi | I7 5820K | RME ADI-2 via spdif RME Fireface UC | 32 GB RAM
ojdonovan
  • Total Posts : 3
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/25 09:56:09 (permalink)
JClosed
Rain
jermusic78

One thing that I would absolutely LOVE though would be for Steinberg to acquire the softsynth Rapture Pro from Cakewalk.   Rapture Pro was released in 2015 and is one of my favorite soft synths, it is VSTi, AU and AAX compatible.  Rapture Pro is a great workstation plugin and I say that as someone who owns Steinberg HALion 6 as stated above (also great).  I would like for Steinberg to save Rapture Pro if possible.  A DAW can be replaced and while migrating projects can be a pain, it can always be done via MIDI files at the end of the day, especially if most of your projects are MIDI based like mine are.

If only...

Even long after I switched to a different DAW, Cakewalk synths remain go-to for me. In fact, the only other 3rd party synth that I use as much is... Steinberg's own Retrologue, a most brilliant synth.

I have a tough time imagining myself without Rapture/Dimension and Z3t4...

Well - at least we can use Rapture, Dimension Pro and Z3TA 1 and 2 without problems in other DAW's for the time being. It's too bad I already switched to Cubase Pro since April this year, so the offer does not apply to me. At the other hand, I could upgrade from LE to Artist to Pro in 3 steps - And every step was a low action price. Nice.

Anyway - I never found the USB eLicener inconvenient, and it never gave me any problem. I also stored other licenses on that key. Oh, and Cubase Pro is bundled with some nice synth's too. Retrolouge is already mentioned, but I also love Padshop Pro, Groove Agent and Halion Sonic SE. I think people that work a lot with MIDI will find Cubase a nice DAW to work with. The ease of using and editing MIDI in Cubase was the main reason to switch for me (that - and the Control Room).

I love me that Z3ta +2 ...
VinylJunkie
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 939
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/25 10:24:53 (permalink)
While it's good that other vendors are potentially offering attractive offers to crossgrade remember they are merely touting for business. After all there are a lot of Sonar users now in the market for a new DAW so the vultures circle looking for rich pickings (ok - slightly cynical but you get the point)
As Craig alluded to earlier in the thread all DAWS bring something different to the table so we really should be afforded time to research them properly to we can make the right choice. I for one don't to be rushed into making what could be a costly decision because the crossgrade offers are only open for a limited time.

I hope therefore that any DAW that offers a crossgrade offer keeps the offer open for a suitable period of time. With Christmas just round the corner many of us won't be in a position to buy a new DAW just yet anyway. 

VJ
cclarry
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 20964
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/25 11:59:42 (permalink)
$255 price for the upgrade is live...don't know if it's been posted or not
https://www.sweetwater.co.store/detail/CubaseP95CG

piangio
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 203
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/25 13:26:52 (permalink)
Potentially interested here!

RichBtt63
  • Total Posts : 14
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/25 13:47:07 (permalink)
Steinberg's elicencer is a nightmare .  had to wait 6 weeks for a reply from their support team for a new activation code & I'm still waiting for another new one as I recently updated my windows again, which has been 10 days ago since I requested for one.
Glyn Barnes
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7564
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/25 14:15:52 (permalink)
RichBtt63
Steinberg's elicencer is a nightmare .  had to wait 6 weeks for a reply from their support team for a new activation code & I'm still waiting for another new one as I recently updated my windows again, which has been 10 days ago since I requested for one.

I have been using an eLicencer with an XILS product for several years and, with the occasional driver update its gone from Vista to Win8 to Win10 without issues.

This sounds disturbing as my understanding is the advantage with dongles is they prevent the need for re-authorization when hardware changes, OS is updated or you want to move to a new PC - what triggers your need for a new authorization code?

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud
RichBtt63
  • Total Posts : 14
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/25 14:42:13 (permalink)
No I do not own a physical dongle, it's the soft elicensor as I purchased Elements. 
Antler
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 487
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/25 15:27:01 (permalink)
I'm currently considering Cubase as an option, but the eLicenser is giving me second thoughts. I'm guessing that when it works, it works; and it's great that you can use your software on another computer just by plugging it into a USB port. But I've read some horror stories about the (hopefully) rare cases where the eLicenser itself malfunctions, and how difficult it is to get a replacement/transfer for all of the licenses stored on it.

If anyone has previously had to replace a malfunctioning/lost eLicenser, it'd be helpful if you could share your experience.
Cactus Music
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/25 16:02:01 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Mitch_I 2017/11/25 19:35:34
That's why I bought a Dongle even though I don't need it for Wave Lab Elements and Cubase 5 LE. The Dongle always works.. That said I have a glitch in mine right now-- when ever I open Wave Lab it say's I need to run the  elicence software and authorize, Wav Lab still opens and runs. Running the E licence software goes so far and tells me there was an issue and to contact the vendor. 

I spent all last night downloading demos, Cubase 8.5 is 9 GB so It's still grinding away. I passed on the Demo for 9 after reading about potential bugs in the Demo somewhere n this thread. 

Anyhow for those interested so far my observations
Mix Buss - Probably a cool program for people who work in audio only, Midi editing is crude. GUI is also very undeveloped and feels like freeware. I never did figure out how to insert a 3rd party vst. Might as well go back to Sonar 5. Let's just say, you get what you pay for at only $100 regular price. There's the Mix Bus 32 but all you get is better EQ and more Busses. I failed to grasp the value in that for more like $350. One can get by with 8 sub busses and EQ is easily added with Plug ins. 
Oh, and it crashed on me for no apparent reason. A visit to the user forum and seems Mr Harrison himself answers questions, most are about  bugs found and he seemed to promise immediate action. 

Mix Craft- GUI and Midi editing is on par with Sonar 8.5. Probably a cheaper replacement for Studio 1. 
 But over all it is logical and without reading any instructions I made a song and inserted a few 3rd party VST's. 
I like it but I have Sonar 8.5 and X3 so it would be a waste of $100.

Which really nails it for me. I think you'll find only Cubase is up to our standards. I am not even going to bother downloading Studio 1 demo because so far everything I've read say's I will be disappointed with the MIDI editing.  I feel sorry for those who panicked and did not take the time to research the options first. As said somewhere above. There is no reason to panic.    

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

Steve_Karl
Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2534
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/25 17:41:44 (permalink)
dorism
The hardware dongle has worked perfectly for me since I moved to Cubase several years ago. It's an amazing program. I love it. It's easy to use but deep at the same time - and can do pretty much anything you can imagine with an incredible suite of plugins and VSTis. It's been very stable on my rig. 

Can it have multiple (different) locked PRV open at the same time and save that configuration with the project?

Steve Karl
https://soundcloud.com/steve_karl
SPLAT 2017.01
Martin Hines
  • Total Posts : 59
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/25 19:49:02 (permalink)
$255 -- Steinberg Cubase Pro 9.5 -- Competitive Crossgrade
(Steinberg lowered the price by $70 due to the Cakewalk news)
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CubaseP95CG

$35 -- Steinberg eLicenser USB Key (if you don't already have one)
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SteinbergKey

eLicenser Control Software (used on PC or Mac to download/authorize/manage licenses on the USB Key)
https://www.steinberg.net/en/company/technologies/elicenser.html

eLicenser products (like Steinberg software) require the eLicenser USB Key (dongle) to be plugged into a USB port on your computer.  I use an external USB Hub to hold both an eLicenser USB Key and a Pace/iLok USB Key.  All the software licenses are stored on the USB Keys so they are portable to use in any computer -- only one at a time. 
Resonant Serpent
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 463
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/25 20:27:36 (permalink)
Steve_Karl
dorism
The hardware dongle has worked perfectly for me since I moved to Cubase several years ago. It's an amazing program. I love it. It's easy to use but deep at the same time - and can do pretty much anything you can imagine with an incredible suite of plugins and VSTis. It's been very stable on my rig. 

Can it have multiple (different) locked PRV open at the same time and save that configuration with the project?

The piano roll in Cubase is termed a Key Editor, or Drum Editor. You can have multiples of the editors open (unchecked Linked Editors in preferences), and then just save the configuration as a Workspace preset. You can cycle through the different Workspaces at will.

A deep chesty bawl echoes from rimrock to rimrock, rolls down the mountain, and fades into the far blackness of the night. It is an outburst of wild defiant sorrow, and of contempt for all the adversities of the world. - Aldo Leopold
awakerman
  • Total Posts : 12
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/25 21:12:46 (permalink)
Hello Greg,
I have a eLicenser USB Key from the Cubase 4 essential .
Can I use it for the Cubase 9.5 version ?
Is it the same ?
Thanks

The sky moves sideways
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 7 of 17
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1