Helpful ReplyLockedCakewalk Announcement

Page: << < ..3637383940.. > >> Showing page 39 of 59
Author
LNT11K
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/15 00:04:01 (permalink)
Just new to the forum, but not to Sonar. It revolts me, just bought Platinum 1 month ago going strong with my new setup !! Cakewalk's Sonar is a great DAW and it's been faithul to Microsoft even thought the main Audio/Video community switched to Mac I don't understand Microsoft don't buy it like Mac did with Logic. Maybe they will try to sell it and we will be the last to know... maybe we should do a petition and a big shout out to Microsolf or Bill Gate as a wake up call. He worth 90 billions !!! He could pay the debt of Gibson and not be affected by it, but that's not what we want. He could buy it, maintant a small team and the needed serve. Why not sell it 5000$ lol if you are shutting it down ? Why don't we do a kickstarter so the user of Sonar buy the company ?! Me, I'm in !!! I'm sure there's something we can do ! There's some people from cakewalk lurk aroujd the forum. Please give us cue !! Let's include them.
marled
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 251
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/15 00:11:29 (permalink)
michael diemer
Matron Landslide
anydmusic

My guess is that keeping the servers running will help Gibson if they try to monetise the Cakewalk assets as the activity on them is evidence that might support the viability of Sonar Phoenix to a prospective buyer.

SONAR wasn't viable for Roland, it wasn't viable for Gibson, how many more examples are needed before someone says, "hey, there's something not quite right here" instead of blaming everyone and everything else except Cakewalk. People on these forums have been making excuses for Cakewalk for years, and that's part of the problem.

The buck has to stop with Cakewalk, lay the blame where it should be, they failed to develop a product that people in the outside world (outside this little bubble) thought was good enough compared to the available alternatives, they failed to develop a product that wowed those in the outside world, there wasn't a huge stampede of new users knocking down the doors hungering to use SONAR. Cakewalk and SONAR have a massive reputation problem, and have had for years, take a walk outside the comfort of these insular forum walls if you want to see what people think of Cakewalk/SONAR, you are not going to like what you see and hear, that's just how it is.

When the topic is DAW's, SONAR is pretty much always left out of the conversation, most times it doesn't even get a mention, why is that? 3rd party devs often leave SONAR out of the 'tested with' lists and don't test on SONAR (yes there are those that do, but if you are to be honest . . . ) why is that? Users on these forums frequently post things like they don't actually know anyone else that uses SONAR (in real life). When they say to people that they use SONAR, the other person either gives them a weird look, or hasn't got a clue what SONAR is. Users have frequently over the years posted things like "I'm tired of having to make excuses for using SONAR" or "Why isn't SONAR considered as a professional product"or "why isn't SONAR listed in Compatability lists" and on and on it goes. Why is that? If SONAR really was as good as people here seem to think it is, it would be taking over the world, be on everyone's tongue, be making that much money no one in their right mind would want to get rid of Cakewalk. Unfortunately for Cakewalk and it's users, the majority of people in the outside world do not agree with the insiders opinion, most seem to have a low opinion of Cakewalk and SONAR, again that's just how it is.

Roland buys Cakewalk, Cakewalk loses money, is not viable, Roland ditches Cakewalk,
Gibson buys Cakewalk, Cakewalk loses money, is not viable,  Gibson ditches Cakewalk,
can you see a pattern emerging? can you see a common denominator? Instead of blaming everyone and everything else, lay the blame where it is desereved, lay it at Cakewalks feet, it's time to let go of the delusion that Cakewalk can do no wrong, the buck should and must stop at Cakewalk. You can continue blaming Gibson if that makes you feel better, or the phase of the moon, or global warming, or the fact that every day's name ends with a 'y', or whatever you like, but like Mr Anderton said, Gibson didn't kill Cakewalk/SONAR, they just buried it. Also as Mr Anderton pointed out, Gibson probably extended Cakewalks life by a few years. I think the fact is Cakewalk/SONAR have been terminally ill for some time for many various reasons, and the blame must be laid squarely at Cakewalks feet, they failed in creating a product that captured enough peoples minds to make it viable. In the end, they could not compete with the opposition regardless of how good insiders think SONAR is, the majority of those outside disagreed, and disagreed strongly.

I disagree with the thrust of your argument. Sonar is a great DAW, arguably the best, because it's the most complete. Audio. Midi. Mixing. Mastering. Notation. Great VST and VSTi.  Something for everyone. If anything, it was bad management that killed it. Sometimes companies just fall behind and don't know how to compete. Perhaps the management simply did not have an aggressive enough posture. Not enough outreach to places like Sweetwater. Whatever, the reason is not the software. It's a bit of a misconception that the best product always survives, simply because it is the best product. There are many other forces at work. The market is not as perfect a sorter of products as we would like to think. The best does not always win. The race is not always to the swift. Human nature gets in the way. Trends develop, people jump on bandwagons, etc. I think you are just looking for a scapegoat, and your analysis is simplistic. Not to mention insulting to the Bakers.

That is excactly what I think, too!
There are a lot of great ideas in Sonar. For example just search a DAW that gives you such a good overview on a small laptop screen without having an ant font! Where you have such good access to everything on a small space! And it's difficult to find another DAW where you can precisely define your exports like that, even for track export. And so on ...
mudgel
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12010
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/15 00:21:29 (permalink)
Jim Kalinowski
CoteRotie
jyoung60

Try installing it on a new machine in a couple years. See if the license will validate if there's no server to call.

Or reinstalling it when Windows gets corrupted somehow or your hard drive dies.

If you keep an image of the drive (assuming SONAR is installed on that drive), a hard drive crash or Windows corruption shouldn't be a problem.  Install the new drive, restore the image, and you're back to making music.  The day Cakewalk made the announcement I made an image of my C: drive and labeled it "SONAR Last Install Backup Image".  If my HD dies or Windows breaks SONAR, I'm restoring that image and taking my machine offline forever (and probably looking for a new DAW).

And when you open Sonar the first thing it will want to do is get activated which as things stand now, you won’t be able to do if there’s no server.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
Jim Kalinowski
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 296
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/15 02:09:35 (permalink)
Mike, I don't think that's true.  If you restore a hard drive image, the activation info you already got from the server (before you made the backup) will be restored.  There's no need to get to a server to reactivate.  I had to replace a hard drive using this method and did not have to reactivate.

Now, if you buy a new computer or replace whatever it is that SONAR is using for the computer ID (which I think is motherboard related and not hard drive), then yes, you'd need access to the server (or the promised off-line approach if/when the servers go away).

i7 860, 8GB RAM, Win10 x64, UA-25EX, SONAR Platinum 
https://www.soundcloud.com/jim-kalinowski
http://www.soundclick.com/jimkalinowski
frankbaker
  • Total Posts : 4
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/15 02:57:18 (permalink)

Thanks so much Cakewalk people, have been making music on your platform since midi only. Sonar is still the greatest and might actually keep working for many years before we are forced to convert. Might want to consider a kickstarter or something if we could only get rights to the source code somehow. Is it possible that all of the "lifetime subscribers" might have some legal rights to it? Might be a fun project for a hungry lawyer.

I too am stranded by this and have hundreds of recordings mixed and mastered in Sonar. Converting to something else is quite overwhelming (not to mention very expensive).  Any thoughts?  (I have no love for Pro Tools)

I too am stranded by this and have hundreds of recordings mixed and mastered in Sonar. Converting to something else is quite overwhelming (not to mention very expensive in terms of time and learning curve).  Any thoughts?  (I have no particular love for Pro Tools can't see that it offers any improvements and its $600.

Anybody tried Presonus Studio One?

Earwax
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 242
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/15 03:37:28 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ttoz 2017/12/19 20:24:16
michael diemer
Matron Landslide
anydmusic

My guess is that keeping the servers running will help Gibson if they try to monetise the Cakewalk assets as the activity on them is evidence that might support the viability of Sonar Phoenix to a prospective buyer.

SONAR wasn't viable for Roland, it wasn't viable for Gibson, how many more examples are needed before someone says, "hey, there's something not quite right here" instead of blaming everyone and everything else except Cakewalk. People on these forums have been making excuses for Cakewalk for years, and that's part of the problem.

The buck has to stop with Cakewalk, lay the blame where it should be, they failed to develop a product that people in the outside world (outside this little bubble) thought was good enough compared to the available alternatives, they failed to develop a product that wowed those in the outside world, there wasn't a huge stampede of new users knocking down the doors hungering to use SONAR. Cakewalk and SONAR have a massive reputation problem, and have had for years, take a walk outside the comfort of these insular forum walls if you want to see what people think of Cakewalk/SONAR, you are not going to like what you see and hear, that's just how it is.

When the topic is DAW's, SONAR is pretty much always left out of the conversation, most times it doesn't even get a mention, why is that? 3rd party devs often leave SONAR out of the 'tested with' lists and don't test on SONAR (yes there are those that do, but if you are to be honest . . . ) why is that? Users on these forums frequently post things like they don't actually know anyone else that uses SONAR (in real life). When they say to people that they use SONAR, the other person either gives them a weird look, or hasn't got a clue what SONAR is. Users have frequently over the years posted things like "I'm tired of having to make excuses for using SONAR" or "Why isn't SONAR considered as a professional product"or "why isn't SONAR listed in Compatability lists" and on and on it goes. Why is that? If SONAR really was as good as people here seem to think it is, it would be taking over the world, be on everyone's tongue, be making that much money no one in their right mind would want to get rid of Cakewalk. Unfortunately for Cakewalk and it's users, the majority of people in the outside world do not agree with the insiders opinion, most seem to have a low opinion of Cakewalk and SONAR, again that's just how it is.

Roland buys Cakewalk, Cakewalk loses money, is not viable, Roland ditches Cakewalk,
Gibson buys Cakewalk, Cakewalk loses money, is not viable,  Gibson ditches Cakewalk,
can you see a pattern emerging? can you see a common denominator? Instead of blaming everyone and everything else, lay the blame where it is desereved, lay it at Cakewalks feet, it's time to let go of the delusion that Cakewalk can do no wrong, the buck should and must stop at Cakewalk. You can continue blaming Gibson if that makes you feel better, or the phase of the moon, or global warming, or the fact that every day's name ends with a 'y', or whatever you like, but like Mr Anderton said, Gibson didn't kill Cakewalk/SONAR, they just buried it. Also as Mr Anderton pointed out, Gibson probably extended Cakewalks life by a few years. I think the fact is Cakewalk/SONAR have been terminally ill for some time for many various reasons, and the blame must be laid squarely at Cakewalks feet, they failed in creating a product that captured enough peoples minds to make it viable. In the end, they could not compete with the opposition regardless of how good insiders think SONAR is, the majority of those outside disagreed, and disagreed strongly.

I disagree with the thrust of your argument. Sonar is a great DAW, arguably the best, because it's the most complete. Audio. Midi. Mixing. Mastering. Notation. Great VST and VSTi.  Something for everyone. If anything, it was bad management that killed it. Sometimes companies just fall behind and don't know how to compete. Perhaps the management simply did not have an aggressive enough posture. Not enough outreach to places like Sweetwater. Whatever, the reason is not the software. It's a bit of a misconception that the best product always survives, simply because it is the best product. There are many other forces at work. The market is not as perfect a sorter of products as we would like to think. The best does not always win. The race is not always to the swift. Human nature gets in the way. Trends develop, people jump on bandwagons, etc. I think you are just looking for a scapegoat, and your analysis is simplistic. Not to mention insulting to the Bakers.

Matron Landslide – you are, indeed, absolutely correct. I think your assessment of the situation, in concert with Craig Anderton’s comments, are closer to the truth than anything else I’ve read.

Michael Diemer, I think you missed the thrust of Landslide’s statement (or it missed you). Read it again. The “argument” (not really) talks about the product’s inability to resonate with the buying public. It wasn’t a slam against Sonar as a functional, usable DAW. It was a slam against Sonar as a viable, saleable, marketable product. They are two completely different things. Whether it is the “best”, “most complete” product on the market is largely irrelevant. It simply didn’t win enough hearts in the buying public, and thus didn’t sell enough. Period. And, if the product doesn’t sell, the people behind the product don’t make money, they lose it. And, if they lose enough…………..

As for Landslide’s reference to Craig Anderton comments, here’s the part that, if I didn’t understand human nature, would absolutely astound me. Craig has long held guru status on this forum, and rightly so. Guru, that is, until he speaks positively of Gibson (after his firing), and lays the blame for Cakewalk’s demise not solely at Gibson’s feet, but intimates there was more than enough blame to go around. Damned if that knowledgeable guru status didn’t just evaporate! I mean, what the heck does he know about big companies/small companies stuff, right folks?? Great guru when it comes to music and electronic stuff, but small potatoes hack when comes to dealing with businesses (Roland, Gibson, and Cakewalk), right folks??

Uhhh, wait, before I go further, for those too thick to understand, I think Craig has formidable knowledge in music, electronics, and business. Got it?

I would suggest to all that think this situation is all Gibson’s fault, please go back and read Craig’s take on the matter. Re-read MLandslide’s assessment while you’re at it. With an open mind. You might learn something.

I am sad to lose Sonar as an evolving DAW. I am sad that Cakewalk employees lost their jobs. I am sad that all of us as Sonar users find ourselves in a quandary not of our choosing.

Having said that, the truth in the face of adversity is rarely insulting to anyone – even “The Bakers”.

Pain - the absence of things hoped for, the evidence of catastrophes unforeseen.
Jwaterstreet
  • Total Posts : 8
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/15 03:48:00 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jyoung60 2017/12/15 04:28:25
I wouldn't worry too much about the whole authentication thing.  Likely Gibson will offer the means for those that "own" versions of Sonar the ability to reinstall without the servers.

If Gibson doesn't honor their word or goes belly up, then I for one will break the authentication if I am still using Sonar at that point.  Then I will simply put out the broken version for public use.

Note that I have always paid for software I use even though I know how to get around any licensing scheme, because I run a small company that sells a software-based product.  I wouldn't want anyone to crack my product and take money out of my pocket.  Sonar is no longer sold, no longer generating money for anyone.  And if Gibson doesn't live up to their word about supporting people that bought their stuff, I will have no qualms about breaking their licensing scheme and putting out the cracked software for others.
FakeItTillUmakeIt
  • Total Posts : 45
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/15 04:12:42 (permalink)
Jwaterstreet
I wouldn't worry too much about the whole authentication thing.  Likely Gibson will offer the means for those that "own" versions of Sonar the ability to reinstall without the servers.

If Gibson doesn't honor their word or goes belly up, then I for one will break the authentication if I am still using Sonar at that point.  Then I will simply put out the broken version for public use.

Note that I have always paid for software I use even though I know how to get around any licensing scheme, because I run a small company that sells a software-based product.  I wouldn't want anyone to crack my product and take money out of my pocket.  Sonar is no longer sold, no longer generating money for anyone.  And if Gibson doesn't live up to their word about supporting people that bought their stuff, I will have no qualms about breaking their licensing scheme and putting out the cracked software for others.

already been done.
SandlinJohn
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 188
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/15 04:43:23 (permalink)
Jwaterstreet

I've noticed it for sale on a few websites. I think only Sweetwater redirects searches for Sonar to an announcement. Everyone else happily pops up the "retail box" version - which probably just has a serial number and a URL to download the Command Center. They even say, as of a moment ago when I checked, "In Stock & Ready To Ship" for only $499.00. I did not try to add it to my cart, so maybe it would stop before money passed hands - but I'm not checking that closely with my own money.

Sonar Platinum, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, Intel NUC micro-workstation with 5th Gen Intel i5-5250U, 16 GB RAM and 1.25 TB Storage, Yamaha MG10XU Mixer USB Interface, Yamaha HPH-MT8 Monitor Headphones, Yamaha MX-49 controller synth
ChrisMat
  • Total Posts : 7
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/15 08:35:48 (permalink)
what bad and sad news!  
I bought Sonar Platinum with the selling point: update for life! for life ??? just one year. if i had known ... even if i love this software and it is my favorite, i may have bought something else. 
Sonar is a great DAW, arguably the best, because it's the most complete. Audio. Midi. Mixing. Mastering. Notation. Great VST and VSTi. 
Do the development could resume someday?

W7 pro / 24 Go / Sonar platinum / RME fireface / Makie control universal
post edited by ChrisMat - 2017/12/15 08:57:38
Jwaterstreet
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/15 12:07:00 (permalink)
FakeItTillUmakeIt
Jwaterstreet

already been done.

Virtually all the cracked software out there has embedded malware in it.  
smallstonefan
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2724
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/15 14:17:31 (permalink)
italy1234
Why some company don't want to buy Cakewalk? It's amazing DAW!
The program needs a major updates but new developers can fix it. And Sonar can compete to another popular DAW. It's my opinion.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Sonar sold as an asset to another company. Selling Cakewalk itself could be a problem. The way you get maximum value for a software company is on monthly recurring revenue, which is why everyone is shifting to rental models (my company included). Those lifetime updates from Cakewalk? Those are a liability to a new owner. No one would buy a company with the obligation to deliver free product to a bunch of people in perpetuity. I would think that they need to kill Cakewalk the business, so that someone can start fresh with Sonar the product. It would make no sense to let that asset die...

CoteRotie
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1112
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/15 15:10:15 (permalink)
Jwaterstreet

This is very true.  The second reason I never use cracked software.  The first is that people deserve to get paid for the work they do, though if you paid for something that you can no longer use because the company is out of business I wouldn't have a problem with cracking.

So if your plan B (or C) is to use a cracked version you'd better crack it yourself unless you want to become part of some Nigerian prince's spambot network.

Wait, wait, what key is it in? 

GA-X58A-UD3 motherboard
Intel i7 950 CPU w/12 G RAM
ATI Radeon 4350 graphics
3 cats 1 crazydog
Lynx AES16/Aurora 8
SCA N72 J99 & A12 pres. Adam A7 Monitors
Win 10  
SONAR Platinum 64 bit 
pwalpwal
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3249
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/15 15:25:00 (permalink)
CoteRotie
Jwaterstreet

This is very true.  The second reason I never use cracked software.  The first is that people deserve to get paid for the work they do, though if you paid for something that you can no longer use because the company is out of business I wouldn't have a problem with cracking.

So if your plan B (or C) is to use a cracked version you'd better crack it yourself unless you want to become part of some Nigerian prince's spambot network.

not true, in my experience, much more likely a scare tactic spread by the software/copyright/ip owners to discourage such activities (which is understandable) - just be sure to check everything with an av, obv

but of course, if you have some data to back up your claim...?

just a sec

Jwaterstreet
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/15 15:53:38 (permalink)
I took a look at the most recent SPLAT cracked sw on a couple of the torrent sites, and both were infected with malware.  There may be others out there that are not infected, but just because they don't initially scan as infected doesn't mean they are not infected.
chuckebaby
  • Total Posts : 13146
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/15 15:55:41 (permalink)
pwalpwal

just be sure to check everything with an av, obv but of course, if you have some data to back up your claim...?

So how does that work, using your AV to check something like a key logger (that produces a serial for the software) isn't that bound to set off your Anti virus anyway ?

I agree with you, not everything has Malware in it, but its a dangerous game.
Not to mention unethical.

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

pwalpwal
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/15 16:05:14 (permalink)
fair comments, guys

just a sec

pwalpwal
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/15 16:06:06 (permalink)
chuckebaby
pwalpwal

just be sure to check everything with an av, obv but of course, if you have some data to back up your claim...?

So how does that work, using your AV to check something like a key logger (that produces a serial for the software) isn't that bound to set off your Anti virus anyway ?

a key logger is something that logs your key strokes, what you want is a key gen (generator) for generating serial numbers

just a sec

pwalpwal
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/15 16:08:32 (permalink)
Jwaterstreet
I took a look at the most recent SPLAT cracked sw on a couple of the torrent sites, and both were infected with malware.  There may be others out there that are not infected, but just because they don't initially scan as infected doesn't mean they are not infected.

which malware? and which anti-mw tool did you use to detect it?

just a sec

pwalpwal
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/15 16:09:15 (permalink)
just to be clear, i'm not suggesting anyone do this!

just a sec

mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/15 16:11:14 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby pwalpwal 2017/12/15 16:11:26
Please refrain from getting too carried away with this train of thought. This forum is public record and such discussions are outside the TOS (as well as a bit more than simply unethical).

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
pwalpwal
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/15 16:11:16 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ttoz 2017/12/19 20:26:52
and just for balance, starbucks wifi has been using your connected machine to mine bitcoins - now that's malware!
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-42338754

just a sec

Jwaterstreet
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/15 16:11:57 (permalink)
chuckebaby
pwalpwal

It is not unethical to crack software if the company that supplies it to you goes belly up and you no longer have the means to install it because they took down the servers that are used to authenticate it.
Jwaterstreet
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/15 16:19:48 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ttoz 2017/12/19 20:27:07
mettelus
Please refrain from getting too carried away with this train of thought. This forum is public record and such discussions are outside the TOS (as well as a bit more than simply unethical).

To repeat, this is NOT unethical!  Cakewalk has ceased to exist.  Gibson has said they will support us, by saying they will keep the authentication servers up, and when they plan to retire them, they will give users some offline means to reinstall software.  As long as they keep their word, I am not suggesting using cracked software.  I for one am not doing anything at the moment, as there is no reason to doubt they will "do the right thing" for their customers.  (although it is uncertain that Gibson, in its current incarnation, will even last through 2018...)

All I am saying is that IF they fail to support us going forward to be able to use the software I have "lifetime" updates for, I for one will crack their authentication scheme.  This is not unethical whatsoever.

Additionally, this conversation is very valid as it should give some solace to those concerned about not being able to use something they purchased.
Wood67
Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1348
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/15 16:43:10 (permalink)
frankbaker
I too am stranded by this and have hundreds of recordings mixed and mastered in Sonar. Converting to something else is quite overwhelming (not to mention very expensive in terms of time and learning curve).  Any thoughts?  (I have no particular love for Pro Tools can't see that it offers any improvements and its $600.

Anybody tried Presonus Studio One?

Quite a few opting for S1, including myself.  Very tempting offer on at the moment, and a dedicated forum thread to help Sonar refugees.  PreSonus also seem a bit more, you might say, 'professionally' managed outfit which gives me some confidence in the longevity. So far I'm very impressed, and don't plan on using Sonar other than for projects still in the oven.  This is a trickier question for pro studios of course, who won't be able to move as fast and need to be very certain any replacement will offer them full capability.

Wood

Studio One 3 Pro, (Sonar Platinum), Intel i7, Win10 Pro, 32Gb ram, RME Babyface Pro, Behringer X-Touch, Presonus Faderport, Akai MPK49, Arturia KeyLab25, KRK Rokit 5 monitors, and other sonic surprises.
CoteRotie
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1112
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/15 16:51:19 (permalink)
pwalpwal

I could find lots of specific examples online, here's an infected crack of Adobe Photoshop for Mac for example:
https://www.wired.com/2009/01/mac-attack-anot/ 
You can find other examples for PC programs as well.  Cracked Angry birds seems to be popular for malware.

AVG claims 90% of cracked games are infected, though maybe you take what the anti-malware manufacturers say with a grain of salt.  

Unless you want to slog through the code yourself though how do you tell? I wouldn't take the risk personally.

Wait, wait, what key is it in? 

GA-X58A-UD3 motherboard
Intel i7 950 CPU w/12 G RAM
ATI Radeon 4350 graphics
3 cats 1 crazydog
Lynx AES16/Aurora 8
SCA N72 J99 & A12 pres. Adam A7 Monitors
Win 10  
SONAR Platinum 64 bit 
pwalpwal
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/15 17:10:11 (permalink)
CoteRotie
pwalpwal

I could find lots of specific examples online, here's an infected crack of Adobe Photoshop for Mac for example:
https://www.wired.com/2009/01/mac-attack-anot/ 
You can find other examples for PC programs as well.  Cracked Angry birds seems to be popular for malware.

AVG claims 90% of cracked games are infected, though maybe you take what the anti-malware manufacturers say with a grain of salt.  

Unless you want to slog through the code yourself though how do you tell? I wouldn't take the risk personally.

fair enough

just a sec

daveny5
  • Total Posts : 16934
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/15 21:13:25 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ttoz 2017/12/19 20:28:11
Tried Mixbus4.... not even close to Sonar. I couldn't get it to work at all. Not at all intuitive in my opinion. 

I have Studio One, but never really used it. Will give it another try, I guess. My next choice will be Reaper. Great, I have to buy and learn a new tool. I definitely won't sink anymore big bucks into it, that's for sure.

PS: I'd like to add that I am pissed that Gibson made this decision. This may have been jobs to you, but it was a big part of my life. I spent a lot of money and time to use your top of the line product and you pull the plug on it. You can't sell it to another company? It had no intrinsic market value? Really sucks guys. Glad I never bought one of your overpriced guitars. Guess no one else wants to pay those prices either. Soon they'll be made in China or India. 

Sorry, but I had to vent. 

post edited by daveny5 - 2017/12/16 04:03:55

Dave
Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
robotecho
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 60
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/16 08:08:50 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ttoz 2017/12/19 20:28:31
anydmusic

However, I would expect Gibson to find some way of recouping something from this

They did, they have. That was the lifetime subscriptions.

It should be clear to even the most generous of you by now that when lifetime subscriptions were offered Gibson stood to receive the maximum possible short term revenue that this product could offer them, at the expense of further revenue. Why would they do that?

It was an "exit strategy". When a large business has a product that is reaching the end of it's lifetime, they work out a way to maximise the revenue from it as it dies.

Gibson went for a particularly cold blooded exit strategy, but I seem to remember a lot of people at the time smelled a rat, and really we all got over 12 months of updates so I guess it wasn't as cynical as it could have been.

But yeah, if you are expecting some kind of last minute save for Sonar, I would have to say that is pretty naive. I also think those of you counting on the authentication servers staying live indefinitely are taking a big risk. It's probably safe for a while but they could pull the plug on it suddenly and without notice, particularly if a business unit goes belly up. You are certainly not being offered any guarantees they won't.

Win 10 64bit, Core i7 3.6GHz, 32GB RAM | Sonar Platinum | NI Komplete 9 | Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 | Kenwood KA-87 | Adelaide Speakers Firesprite Monitors | Roland A-800PRO Controller | Moog Sub Phatty | Ibanez RG-470 Guitar | Gretsch G5125 | Ibanez Roadster II RB-850 Bass | Squire Jaguar Vintage Modified Bass | Vox AC15VR | Orange Micro Terror
Lanceindastudio
Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4604
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/16 08:59:26 (permalink)
My heart is broken over this.

I dedicate this song that I did with my homie Rico Belled all in SONAR. Keep on Dreaming.

https://soundcloud.com/la...mp;utm_medium=facebook

Asus P8Z77-V LE PLUS Motherboard   
i7 3770k CPU
32 gigs RAM
Presonus AudioBox iTwo
Windows 10 64 bit, SONAR PLATINUM 64 bit
Lots of plugins and softsynths and one shot samples, loops
Gauge ECM-87, MCA SP-1, Alesis AM51
Presonus Eureka
Mackie HR824's and matching subwoofer
Page: << < ..3637383940.. > >> Showing page 39 of 59
Jump to: