Helpful ReplyLockedCakewalk Announcement

Page: << < ..3637383940.. > >> Showing page 38 of 59
Author
Geoff Cattle
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 31
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/13 16:32:21 (permalink)
Bit of a moan follows. Apologies in advance. There is a question at the end I hope someone can answer though.

-------------------------------------Pitchfork at the ready.-----------------------------------------------------------

Well, I for one won't buy a Gibson guitar now; not a new one. From what I gather, their guitars were getting worse and worse over the last decade or so anyway. The sick thing is that a day before the announcement I nearly purchased Sonar Platinum. There was no indication that this move was in the pipeline. Gibson would have happily taken my money for a lifetime's subscription, knowing that it would only last a day.

I was just getting used to Sonar, my first and only DAW since X1 Essential in 2012 to X2 Studio and then X3 Producer. I just started effectively using parallel compression (or the mix function equivalent in the Pro Channel), and my EQ'ing 'ear' was beginning to mature. Now I have to start all over again with another DAW, -probably MixBus as I liked the sound when I tried the Demo version. Moan Moan Moan; sorry, I expect we're all feeling sad.

-------------------------------------End of lower lip wobble sob.---------------------------------------------------- 

Question: What about the plugins and VST instruments being used with other DAW's? Are they still going to be 'tied' to the Cakewalk licence? I want to keep AD Drums at least for use on other systems, but I'm not sure if XLN allow that, as it was purchased with Sonar X3 as part of a bundle. Anyone know how this stands? Cheers in advance.
kevmsmith81
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 259
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/13 16:45:37 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Geoff Cattle 2017/12/13 16:47:05
I've been able to load my plugins into Reaper. I've tested a number of them (some Sonitus ones and Z3TA) and they worked fine. They say there will be a way of authentication being kept so hopefully this will remain the case. And if you use the Overloud plugins search the forum where they've offered free standalone versions of the plugins bundled with SONAR. 
wasistdas
  • Total Posts : 6
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/13 16:50:56 (permalink)
Sell Cakewalk to Elon Musk for $1.
Geoff Cattle
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/13 16:53:28 (permalink)
Thanks for the reply kevmsmith81. That's good news from OverLoud (hope this includes X3 users) I may reinstall the Reaper trial. I had to reinstall Windows last week so lost it. 
Jim Kalinowski
  • Total Posts : 296
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/13 17:09:11 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Geoff Cattle 2017/12/13 17:16:13
Addictive Drums will work outside of SONAR.  Overloud's offer was for the TH3 version of the amp modelling (and some other plugins).  Did X3 have TH2 Producer?  If so, that won't work outside of SONAR X3.

i7 860, 8GB RAM, Win10 x64, UA-25EX, SONAR Platinum 
https://www.soundcloud.com/jim-kalinowski
http://www.soundclick.com/jimkalinowski
wasistdas
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/13 17:12:16 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Geoff Cattle 2017/12/13 17:14:15
BTW, is there any model for X3 owner to get the latest Platinum for a discounted price?
Geoff Cattle
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/13 17:25:43 (permalink)
Jim Kalinowski, Cheers for the heads up regarding AD2. Yes, X3 came with TH2. Shame I can't use it outside Sonar. Having said that, X3 is still working, I just don't know about how future Win 10 updates might screw it. I saved all the downloads on an external drive, so I suppose I could install it on an offline PC in future with Win7/8.1 if I really had to. Whichever way I look at it, it's going to be expensive.

Cheers, all the same.
robert_e_bone
  • Total Posts : 8968
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/13 17:59:31 (permalink)
Maarkr
for those who are getting their software serials, 
something I started 15 years ago... a text file on my desktop where I log in every serial number and registration code or whatever when I buy it.  If I sell or upgrade it then I delete it from the file. Then every few months I email it to myself so it's in uber-land...

Yup - good strategy - I do the same thing with all my various serial numbers and account passwords and such - meaning I too save them.  I keep that info, the security/registration info, as well as the URL for the login page associated with the account/product in 3 places:

1) In a series of text documents in a Documents folder called Accounts, with sub-folders for the various stuff, such as Banking, Music, etc... (I do use coded info for account passwords, as hints, that only means something to me, for any financial account passwords)

2)  I also email each set of account info to myself, with a separate email for each account, which is stored in an email sub-folder that is also called Accounts, with the same sub-folders as in the Documents folder of the same name.

3)  I lastly also have a copy of the Accounts folder, and its sub-folders, in my One Drive Documents folder, giving me several ways of preserving it all.

Bob Bone

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
anydmusic
  • Total Posts : 251
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/13 18:49:44 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Geoff Cattle 2017/12/13 19:06:08
Geoff Cattle
... X3 is still working, I just don't know about how future Win 10 updates might screw it. 

It's worth thinking about what Microsoft can change that will mess thing up. At the application layer the answer is probably not a lot which is why there are so many old software products still running on Windows 10 today with few or no problems. 

At the hardware/driver level the probability gets higher which is why we experience problems with hardware devices needing some attention after a Windows update. The challenge here could be if they stop working altogether you need to find something that is compatible with the latest version of Windows 10 and X3. But then I doubt that many devices explicitly support X3 now they'll just support one of the standards that X3 supports like ASIO.

Problems might also occur where the layers cross over. Kinetic, for example, hangs if any new VSTs have been installed and needs to be "Run as Administrator" to clear the issue. After that it runs great until the next VST is installed.

Sonar's single platform approach and their adoption and support of Microsoft technologies probably means that the various versions are more likely to keep running than most of the cross platform competitors.

Of course it makes sense to prepare for the possibility of a failure but in doing this it is really important that you also figure out how to determine what has failed because no one wants to buy a new DAW when all they needed to do was "Run as Administrator" or they really needed a new Audio Interface and still have to buy one for the new DAW.

If you've trusted X3 this far on Windows 10 nothing has really changed and you have been successfully managing these risks. 

Actually one thing has changed, if it is X3 that is broken you'll need to decide who to give your cash to for a new DAW because an upgrade to the latest Sonar is no longer an option.

My personal guess, taking all of this into consideration, is that your copy of X3 will run just as long as my Sonar Platinum 2017.10. Some might even hypothesise that because its been stable longer it might even last longer.

In spite of the doom and gloom about this I think the consensus is that Sonar will work for a long time if tha's your preferred option and those who are switching are doing so for one of two reasons.
  1. They run studios to generate an income so need the extra security that software support brings. Imagine saying to a paying customer "we'll be recording today with Sonar, you might have read about Gibson pilling the plug on it".
  2. Making a change makes sense because its either the right time or they had been secretly considering it for a while and the Gibson announcement gave them a good excuse. (OK the second one may be a bit harsh because no one here suffers from GAS)
I chose to switch now because it seemed like a good time and I also have some older hardware that I've been thinking about replacing as well. Good news for me is that l have got all my old stuff working with Cubase, bad news is that I'm reading manuals a bit more than usual.

I'm also still using Sonar and have no plans to uninstall it.

Graham
Windows 10 64 bit - Intel i7-4790, 16GB, 2 x 256GB SSD
Cubase 9.5
Sonar Platinum (Rapture Pro, Z3TA 2, CA2A, plus some other bits)
Delta 24/96, UAD 1, UA25 EX, 2 x MidiSport,
IKMultiMedia - (SampleTank 3, Miroslav 2, Syntronik, TRacks 5, Modo Bass), Band In A Box, Sound Quest, VS Pro, Kinetic, Acid, Sound Forge, Jammer
Waves MaxxVolume, IR 1, Aphex Enhancer, Abbey Plates
Korg Legacy, VStation, Bass Station
wasistdas
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/13 18:50:48 (permalink)
I know a company that can gladly buy Cakewalk. It is Magix! Sell Cakewalk to them!
Mad_Musicologist
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 118
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/13 19:04:57 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Geoff Cattle 2017/12/13 19:09:38
Geoff Cattle
(...)
Question: What about the plugins and VST instruments being used with other DAW's? Are they still going to be 'tied' to the Cakewalk licence? I want to keep AD Drums at least for use on other systems, but I'm not sure if XLN allow that, as it was purchased with Sonar X3 as part of a bundle. Anyone know how this stands? Cheers in advance.

Third party plugins: Why not trying to upgrading them to a more recent level, then you own them directly from the company that makes them, and you are free to try them out in any other host DAW.
As for me, I shall try to keep my Sonar running as long as possible, when other DAWS should be more actual than CW is now (might take some time ;-)) it is time to change. In the mean time I try to find another DAW which fits to the rest of my music software (for instance, "Sibelius" for my classic stuff - ProTools looks handy in that aspet, but they only manage .aax-plugins), next time I shall purchase third party plugins that come as a part of a bundle early enough from the original makers to remain a bit more independent.
But as I said, my Sonar will remain rnning as long as possible.
And again: I feel very sorry for all the excellent "bakers" and I imagine it is quite hard for them to find another place and get into other stuff than the one they knew about so perfectly.
Thank you for the software.
msmcleod
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 920
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/14 02:35:50 (permalink)
Geoff Cattle
(...)

AD Drums will work fine outside of Sonar, as will melodyne as they're both full licenses.

Overloud are doing something about TH3 for cakewalk users, although personally I took the upgrade to the full version.

Basically everything that is not under the Sonar product tree within Command Center will be fine outside of Sonar.

Things that are bundled with the Sonar install itself (i.e. you didn't have to install it separately), you'll have to go through and try out.

robotecho
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 60
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/14 03:36:36 (permalink)
I was all upset about this, but I have ongoing projects so I checked out other DAWS and moved over to Studio One.

Holy crap! Seriously discontinuing Sonar is the biggest favour they could have done for me.

Studio One hasn't crashed, it does everything Sonar does but with a simpler, cleaner layout, along with a bunch of really innovative features.

Did I mention it hasn't crashed yet? Because it hasn't crashed.

A big thankyou to Gibson for just shooting Sonar in the head.

Win 10 64bit, Core i7 3.6GHz, 32GB RAM | Sonar Platinum | NI Komplete 9 | Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 | Kenwood KA-87 | Adelaide Speakers Firesprite Monitors | Roland A-800PRO Controller | Moog Sub Phatty | Ibanez RG-470 Guitar | Gretsch G5125 | Ibanez Roadster II RB-850 Bass | Squire Jaguar Vintage Modified Bass | Vox AC15VR | Orange Micro Terror
CoteRotie
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1112
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/14 06:44:12 (permalink)
anydmusic

In spite of the doom and gloom about this I think the consensus is that Sonar will work for a long time if that's your preferred option and those who are switching are doing so for one of two reasons.
  1. They run studios to generate an income so need the extra security that software support brings. Imagine saying to a paying customer "we'll be recording today with Sonar, you might have read about Gibson pilling the plug on it".
  2. Making a change makes sense because its either the right time or they had been secretly considering it for a while and the Gibson announcement gave them a good excuse. (OK the second one may be a bit harsh because no one here suffers from GAS)

I think another reason is that you can't guarantee that the authentication servers will stay up.  Even though they said that there would be some method to use the software once the servers go down, it's not inconceivable that Gibson could jettison the folks who could make that happen before it actually happens.  It's not likely, but not inconceivable that a Windows update could cause issues as well.  It's not inconceivable that Gibson could file bankruptcy within the next year.

So SONAR could possibly break at some point.  Probably not, but it's possible.

Also at some point SONAR will become dated and maybe not compatible with new standards, drivers, and hardware. 
If you are going to invest  hundreds or thousands of hours recording, you might want to play the odds and do it in a DAW that has a higher chance of long-term survival and improvement.

Wait, wait, what key is it in? 

GA-X58A-UD3 motherboard
Intel i7 950 CPU w/12 G RAM
ATI Radeon 4350 graphics
3 cats 1 crazydog
Lynx AES16/Aurora 8
SCA N72 J99 & A12 pres. Adam A7 Monitors
Win 10  
SONAR Platinum 64 bit 
JClosed
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 690
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/14 08:04:27 (permalink)
Well - It's not that Sonar will break down in the short therm. Hell - I am even still have installed Project 5 on my Windows 10 system (yes I play around with it from time to time). If you are happy with Sonar in it's present state, by all means keep using it.

But that's just the point for me. I switched to Cubase, just because that program handles MIDI far more comfortable for me than Sonar. I kept Sonar installed, because of two reasons. The first reason is that I need Sonar because I have a lot of projects in that program, and want to be able to edit them and ultimately transport them over to Cubase. And secondly - I was hoping Sonar would improve in the MIDI department to "catch up" with Cubase, keeping the possibility open that Sonar would be again a valuable workstation to use beside other DAW's

And it's that last thing that makes Sonar for me no longer a main application. Sonar's features are forever frozen now, and MIDI will never get those improvements a was hoping for. The program is now effectively abandon-ware.  So - I am now in the process of transferring the last projects to Cubase, and still need Sonar to do that. But after that I do not longer have a reason to keep Sonar installed. Strange enough I am certain I will keep Project 5 installed until it does not longer work. Even at it's old age and ancient interface it has a functionality that even Cubase 9.5 is missing. Oh - and of course Rapture, Dimension Pro and Z3TA 2 are still valuable soft-synths (never gone for the newer Rapture).
anydmusic
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/14 10:14:15 (permalink)
CoteRotie
anydmusic

In spite of the doom and gloom about this I think the consensus is that Sonar will work for a long time if that's your preferred option and those who are switching are doing so for one of two reasons.

I think another reason is that you can't guarantee that the authentication servers will stay up.  Even though they said that there would be some method to use the software once the servers go down, it's not inconceivable that Gibson could jettison the folks who could make that happen before it actually happens.  It's not likely, but not inconceivable that a Windows update could cause issues as well.  It's not inconceivable that Gibson could file bankruptcy within the next year.

So SONAR could possibly break at some point.  Probably not, but it's possible.

Also at some point SONAR will become dated and maybe not compatible with new standards, drivers, and hardware. 
If you are going to invest  hundreds or thousands of hours recording, you might want to play the odds and do it in a DAW that has a higher chance of long-term survival and improvement.

Good point about the authentication servers, the risk here being that the plug gets TOTALLY pulled at really short notice and no alternative is made available. 

My guess is that keeping the servers running will help Gibson if they try to monetise the Cakewalk assets as the activity on them is evidence that might support the viability of Sonar Phoenix to a prospective buyer.

Graham
Cubase 9.5
IKMultiMedia - (SampleTank 3, Miroslav 2, Syntronik, TRacks 5, Modo Bass), Band In A Box, Sound Quest, VS Pro, Kinetic, Acid, Sound Forge, Jammer
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 729
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/14 11:11:04 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jaxman12 2017/12/14 17:04:55
anydmusic

My guess is that keeping the servers running will help Gibson if they try to monetise the Cakewalk assets as the activity on them is evidence that might support the viability of Sonar Phoenix to a prospective buyer.

SONAR wasn't viable for Roland, it wasn't viable for Gibson, how many more examples are needed before someone says, "hey, there's something not quite right here" instead of blaming everyone and everything else except Cakewalk. People on these forums have been making excuses for Cakewalk for years, and that's part of the problem.

The buck has to stop with Cakewalk, lay the blame where it should be, they failed to develop a product that people in the outside world (outside this little bubble) thought was good enough compared to the available alternatives, they failed to develop a product that wowed those in the outside world, there wasn't a huge stampede of new users knocking down the doors hungering to use SONAR. Cakewalk and SONAR have a massive reputation problem, and have had for years, take a walk outside the comfort of these insular forum walls if you want to see what people think of Cakewalk/SONAR, you are not going to like what you see and hear, that's just how it is.

When the topic is DAW's, SONAR is pretty much always left out of the conversation, most times it doesn't even get a mention, why is that? 3rd party devs often leave SONAR out of the 'tested with' lists and don't test on SONAR (yes there are those that do, but if you are to be honest . . . ) why is that? Users on these forums frequently post things like they don't actually know anyone else that uses SONAR (in real life). When they say to people that they use SONAR, the other person either gives them a weird look, or hasn't got a clue what SONAR is. Users have frequently over the years posted things like "I'm tired of having to make excuses for using SONAR" or "Why isn't SONAR considered as a professional product"or "why isn't SONAR listed in Compatability lists" and on and on it goes. Why is that? If SONAR really was as good as people here seem to think it is, it would be taking over the world, be on everyone's tongue, be making that much money no one in their right mind would want to get rid of Cakewalk. Unfortunately for Cakewalk and it's users, the majority of people in the outside world do not agree with the insiders opinion, most seem to have a low opinion of Cakewalk and SONAR, again that's just how it is.

Roland buys Cakewalk, Cakewalk loses money, is not viable, Roland ditches Cakewalk,
Gibson buys Cakewalk, Cakewalk loses money, is not viable,  Gibson ditches Cakewalk,
can you see a pattern emerging? can you see a common denominator? Instead of blaming everyone and everything else, lay the blame where it is desereved, lay it at Cakewalks feet, it's time to let go of the delusion that Cakewalk can do no wrong, the buck should and must stop at Cakewalk. You can continue blaming Gibson if that makes you feel better, or the phase of the moon, or global warming, or the fact that every day's name ends with a 'y', or whatever you like, but like Mr Anderton said, Gibson didn't kill Cakewalk/SONAR, they just buried it. Also as Mr Anderton pointed out, Gibson probably extended Cakewalks life by a few years. I think the fact is Cakewalk/SONAR have been terminally ill for some time for many various reasons, and the blame must be laid squarely at Cakewalks feet, they failed in creating a product that captured enough peoples minds to make it viable. In the end, they could not compete with the opposition regardless of how good insiders think SONAR is, the majority of those outside disagreed, and disagreed strongly.

Intel i7 4790 @3.6Ghz - 32GB Ram - Windows 10 Pro 64bit - RME Fireface UFX+
Studio One 4 Professional, REAPER, CbB-(Couldnb't be Bothered)
More Plugs than Plumbers Warehouse.

Happy Studio One User Since August 2015

"It's the entertainment value, the comic relief . . . plus the Software and Deals Forum"

anydmusic
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/14 11:27:50 (permalink)
Matron Landslide
anydmusic

Roland buys Cakewalk, Cakewalk loses money, is not viable, Roland ditches Cakewalk,
Gibson buys Cakewalk, Cakewalk loses money, is not viable,  Gibson ditches Cakewalk,
can you see a pattern emerging? can you see a common denominator? 

In terms of the likelihood of Cakewalk reemerging "as is" I would agree that the underlying problems make this unlikely. However, I would expect Gibson to find some way of recouping something from this even if it is simply spinning off the VSTs. Preserving the connection with users through the Command Centre would potentially help convince a potential buyer to become an actual buyer. 

Of course the challenge here would be identifying VSTs that are unique enough to compete in an over subscribed market ZETA2 might make it, not sure about Rapture Pro, some of the effects could make a useful package, CA2A probably just another player, Pro Channel as a standalone Console Channel VST might work especially if they could keep the 3rd party addins. 

So while Sonar will probably not reemerge I think a creative team of developers could create an interesting set of plugins from the content they have and on that basis someone might be prepared to give Gibson some cash.

Graham
Cubase 9.5
burgerproduction
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 209
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/14 12:22:17 (permalink)
People keep talking about 'shutting down the servers' and Sonar not working as a result. 
How could the server affect Sonar if it is installed on your machine?
I'm just asking because I have SPLAT installed on a W10 machine alongside Sonar 8, 6, & Project 5, and I don't see how Sonar can stop working if the servers go down. It doesn't need to be connected to the internet to load up.
Is this only an issue for people using Steam?

Cakewalk by Bandlab, Sonar Platinum Lifetimer, Windows 10, HP Laptop, CPU i5, RAM 8GB. Audio interface: Edirol FA-101 Firewire interface with moded drivers. Microphones: Audio-Technica, M-Audio, Behringer, AKG. Pianos: Casio digital, Yamaha B1 upright.  Guitars: Dobro, Tanglewood, Danelectro, Fender. Hats: Fez
Check out my music :
https://53mph.bandcamp.com/album/like-water-to-the-sand

anydmusic
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/14 12:47:42 (permalink)
My understanding is that Sonar Platinum verifies registration with the online servers. Older products should be ok.

Graham
Cubase 9.5
jyoung60
  • Total Posts : 914
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/14 13:41:06 (permalink)
burgerproduction
People keep talking about 'shutting down the servers' and Sonar not working as a result. 
I'm just asking because I have SPLAT installed on a W10 machine alongside Sonar 8, 6, & Project 5, and I don't see how Sonar can stop working if the servers go down. It doesn't need to be connected to the internet to load up.

Try installing it on a new machine in a couple years. See if the license will validate if there's no server to call.

DAW: Cakewalk by Bandlab (latest version) - x64
VST: Roland Sound Canvas VA
Hardware: Roland MC50mkII Sequencer; Yamaha DGX-660 keyboard; Steinberg UR-44 Interface
CoteRotie
  • Total Posts : 1112
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/14 15:11:11 (permalink)
jyoung60

Try installing it on a new machine in a couple years. See if the license will validate if there's no server to call.

Or reinstalling it when Windows gets corrupted somehow or your hard drive dies.

Wait, wait, what key is it in? 

GA-X58A-UD3 motherboard
Intel i7 950 CPU w/12 G RAM
ATI Radeon 4350 graphics
3 cats 1 crazydog
Lynx AES16/Aurora 8
SCA N72 J99 & A12 pres. Adam A7 Monitors
Win 10  
SONAR Platinum 64 bit 
chuckebaby
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13146
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/14 16:14:14 (permalink)
burgerproduction

Its an honest question
http://forum.cakewalk.com/Membership-FAQ-m3692900.aspx

Platinum is the first in the Sonar Series that needs to connect to a servers in order to stay active (out of Demo mode) unless it is activated offline and/or you own the product outright.
That's what CCC: Cakewalk Command Center is for.

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

jyoung60
  • Total Posts : 914
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/14 16:18:10 (permalink)
If I've already activated via CCC, can I re-activate offline?

DAW: Cakewalk by Bandlab (latest version) - x64
VST: Roland Sound Canvas VA
Hardware: Roland MC50mkII Sequencer; Yamaha DGX-660 keyboard; Steinberg UR-44 Interface
chuckebaby
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13146
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/14 16:26:04 (permalink)
jyoung60
If I've already activated via CCC, can I re-activate offline?

Yes and no.
See this thread:
http://forum.cakewalk.com/Membership-FAQ-m3692900.aspx

Go to the Help > About menu. If you see the words "Status: owned", then you own it.
You don't really need an offline activation. Unless you try to re install it someday.

That's the reason that concerns me the most. If Gibson decides to pack it up then we are all out of luck.
they wont owe us anything if they go bankrupt.

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

michael diemer
  • Total Posts : 1128
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/14 17:45:12 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby stratman70 2017/12/14 18:39:14
Matron Landslide
anydmusic

SONAR wasn't viable for Roland, it wasn't viable for Gibson, how many more examples are needed before someone says, "hey, there's something not quite right here" instead of blaming everyone and everything else except Cakewalk. People on these forums have been making excuses for Cakewalk for years, and that's part of the problem.

The buck has to stop with Cakewalk, lay the blame where it should be, they failed to develop a product that people in the outside world (outside this little bubble) thought was good enough compared to the available alternatives, they failed to develop a product that wowed those in the outside world, there wasn't a huge stampede of new users knocking down the doors hungering to use SONAR. Cakewalk and SONAR have a massive reputation problem, and have had for years, take a walk outside the comfort of these insular forum walls if you want to see what people think of Cakewalk/SONAR, you are not going to like what you see and hear, that's just how it is.

When the topic is DAW's, SONAR is pretty much always left out of the conversation, most times it doesn't even get a mention, why is that? 3rd party devs often leave SONAR out of the 'tested with' lists and don't test on SONAR (yes there are those that do, but if you are to be honest . . . ) why is that? Users on these forums frequently post things like they don't actually know anyone else that uses SONAR (in real life). When they say to people that they use SONAR, the other person either gives them a weird look, or hasn't got a clue what SONAR is. Users have frequently over the years posted things like "I'm tired of having to make excuses for using SONAR" or "Why isn't SONAR considered as a professional product"or "why isn't SONAR listed in Compatability lists" and on and on it goes. Why is that? If SONAR really was as good as people here seem to think it is, it would be taking over the world, be on everyone's tongue, be making that much money no one in their right mind would want to get rid of Cakewalk. Unfortunately for Cakewalk and it's users, the majority of people in the outside world do not agree with the insiders opinion, most seem to have a low opinion of Cakewalk and SONAR, again that's just how it is.

can you see a pattern emerging? can you see a common denominator? Instead of blaming everyone and everything else, lay the blame where it is desereved, lay it at Cakewalks feet, it's time to let go of the delusion that Cakewalk can do no wrong, the buck should and must stop at Cakewalk. You can continue blaming Gibson if that makes you feel better, or the phase of the moon, or global warming, or the fact that every day's name ends with a 'y', or whatever you like, but like Mr Anderton said, Gibson didn't kill Cakewalk/SONAR, they just buried it. Also as Mr Anderton pointed out, Gibson probably extended Cakewalks life by a few years. I think the fact is Cakewalk/SONAR have been terminally ill for some time for many various reasons, and the blame must be laid squarely at Cakewalks feet, they failed in creating a product that captured enough peoples minds to make it viable. In the end, they could not compete with the opposition regardless of how good insiders think SONAR is, the majority of those outside disagreed, and disagreed strongly.

I disagree with the thrust of your argument. Sonar is a great DAW, arguably the best, because it's the most complete. Audio. Midi. Mixing. Mastering. Notation. Great VST and VSTi.  Something for everyone. If anything, it was bad management that killed it. Sometimes companies just fall behind and don't know how to compete. Perhaps the management simply did not have an aggressive enough posture. Not enough outreach to places like Sweetwater. Whatever, the reason is not the software. It's a bit of a misconception that the best product always survives, simply because it is the best product. There are many other forces at work. The market is not as perfect a sorter of products as we would like to think. The best does not always win. The race is not always to the swift. Human nature gets in the way. Trends develop, people jump on bandwagons, etc. I think you are just looking for a scapegoat, and your analysis is simplistic. Not to mention insulting to the Bakers.

michael diemer
Intel Quad Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge
32 GB ram
1TB Western Digital Black X2
Microsoft Windows 7 Pro 64
UR22 interface
Bandlab Cakewalk/Sonar 8.5 Studio
GPO-EWQLSO Gold-Vienna SP ED-Cinematic Strings 2

dambro22
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/14 19:20:21 (permalink)
Hi,  Another CW user for many, many years.  I received email yesterday saying my subscription is cancelled.  Now, Sonar will only run in demo mode.  Can anyone here help?

Thanks!

Win 7 Pro
Sonar Platiunum, purchased in 2015, then purchased update plan a few months ago.
scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/14 19:47:50 (permalink)
Contact support.
italy1234
  • Total Posts : 8
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/14 20:25:58 (permalink)
Why some company don't want to buy Cakewalk? It's amazing DAW!
The program needs a major updates but new developers can fix it. And Sonar can compete to another popular DAW. It's my opinion.
Jim Kalinowski
  • Total Posts : 296
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/14 20:38:07 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby kzmaier 2017/12/15 17:58:03
CoteRotie
jyoung60

Or reinstalling it when Windows gets corrupted somehow or your hard drive dies.

If you keep an image of the drive (assuming SONAR is installed on that drive), a hard drive crash or Windows corruption shouldn't be a problem.  Install the new drive, restore the image, and you're back to making music.  The day Cakewalk made the announcement I made an image of my C: drive and labeled it "SONAR Last Install Backup Image".  If my HD dies or Windows breaks SONAR, I'm restoring that image and taking my machine offline forever (and probably looking for a new DAW).

i7 860, 8GB RAM, Win10 x64, UA-25EX, SONAR Platinum 
https://www.soundcloud.com/jim-kalinowski
http://www.soundclick.com/jimkalinowski
Page: << < ..3637383940.. > >> Showing page 38 of 59
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1