Helpful ReplyLockedCakewalk Announcement

Page: << < ..3637383940.. > >> Showing page 40 of 59
Author
Skyline_UK
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2133
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/16 10:07:38 (permalink)
A CW insider did confirm on another forum that the lifetime subscription was their idea and not imposed on them by Gibson. They were probably trying to stave off increasing pressure to financially perform, which is not an unusual situation in a Parent/Subsidiary relationship.  (I've been there in my working life).  Maybe Gibson should be blamed for (a) not thoroughly challenging financial projections from Roland and Cakewalk before buying, and, crucially, CW's marketing plans which always seemed to me to be not their forte, (b) thinking a 'hands off' management style would be best.  All this might have been compounded by Gibson's management style which according to the internet is a one-man one where perhaps sage advice is not heeded or unavailable.

My stuff

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600 @ 3.4GHz, 4 cores, 8 threads, 16GB RAM.
OS & Programs drive: 240GB SSD
Data drives: 1 x 1TB drive RAID mirrored, plus extra 1TB data drive 
Windows 10 Home 64 bit
Cakewalk by BandLab 64 bit, Studio One 3, 
Band In A Box 2016, Ozone 8
+ too many other plugins
BandLab page
robotecho
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 60
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/16 13:17:12 (permalink)
Skyline_UK
A CW insider did confirm on another forum that the lifetime subscription was their idea and not imposed on them by Gibson. They were probably trying to stave off increasing pressure to financially perform, which is not an unusual situation in a Parent/Subsidiary relationship.

Fair enough, but I think you can be reasonably confident that Gibson saw it as an exit strategy, if it was handed to them then all the better. It does make it a more sympathetic one though. I've no doubt it was on the table as "take this funding boost, and sink or swim". But I reckon Gibson had a pretty good idea where it was going.

Win 10 64bit, Core i7 3.6GHz, 32GB RAM | Sonar Platinum | NI Komplete 9 | Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 | Kenwood KA-87 | Adelaide Speakers Firesprite Monitors | Roland A-800PRO Controller | Moog Sub Phatty | Ibanez RG-470 Guitar | Gretsch G5125 | Ibanez Roadster II RB-850 Bass | Squire Jaguar Vintage Modified Bass | Vox AC15VR | Orange Micro Terror
soens
Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5154
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/16 13:47:21 (permalink)
But then in the midst of this they come out with Momentum and brought back Home Studio for some reason. Also to gain quick funding? Or in hopes it would help salvage the cause?
SteveStrummerUK
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 31112
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/16 15:37:14 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jyoung60 2017/12/16 16:47:46
daveny5
Tried Mixbus4.... not even close to Sonar. I couldn't get it to work at all. Not at all intuitive in my opinion. 

I have Studio One, but never really used it. Will give it another try, I guess. My next choice will be Reaper. Great, I have to buy and learn a new tool. I definitely won't sink anymore big bucks into it, that's for sure.

PS: I'd like to add that I am pissed that Gibson made this decision. This may have been jobs to you, but it was a big part of my life. I spent a lot of money and time to use your top of the line product and you pull the plug on it. You can't sell it to another company? It had no intrinsic market value? Really sucks guys. Glad I never bought one of your overpriced guitars. Guess no one else wants to pay those prices either. Soon they'll be made in China or India. 

Sorry, but I had to vent. 

A fanboy to the bitter end, eh Dave?

I wonder, do you attach even the slightest culpability in all this to Cakewalk?

Maybe their software designers for not coming up with a better and ultimately more commercially viable product?

Or if the software was that good, why not level the blame at the Cakewalk marketing department for not shifting enough units?

Judging by some of the recent revelations concerning the demise, it would seem that a lot of the problems stem from the upper management level at Cakewalk, not from Gibson.

For all we know, the plug might have been pulled in 2013 (when Roland jumped ship) had Gibson not stepped in and pumped money into a failing Cakewalk - thereby propping it up and keeping it open for business for the last four years.

Don't get me wrong, none of this means that Gibson shouldn't be implicated in this. It just seems absurd to me that the parent company is wholly at fault for Cakewalk's failing.

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

jtma508
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 18
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/16 15:42:08 (permalink)
Any chance that those of us that 'bought' the 'lifetime subscription' have the makings of a class action suit against Gibson?  

HP Z420 @ 3.6GHz; Win 10 Pro 64bit; Acer Touchscreen; 64Gb RAM; NVIDIA Quadro K2000; Sonar Platinum; RME Fireface 800; 2 x 500Gb SSD/1 x 1Tb HDD; M-Audio Axiom61 2nd Gen; Yamaha HS5 & Rokit 10S Sub; Mackie  MCU Pro
italy1234
  • Total Posts : 8
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/16 15:52:55 (permalink)
Gibson had to fire all the idlers. And make a new development course for Cakewalk.
And cakewalk didnt want add a new functional for their DAW. In last version Sonar seems like more modern DAW. But they could made more if glanced at Reaper or S1.
I love Sonar. And it's very terrible fact if the will not develement the DAW
chuckebaby
  • Total Posts : 13146
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/16 16:33:23 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby SteveStrummerUK 2017/12/16 16:56:42
SteveStrummerUK

Maybe their software designers for not coming up with a better and ultimately more commercially viable product?

Or if the software was that good, why not level the blame at the Cakewalk marketing department for not shifting enough units?

I believe that is a fair question and yes, I definitely put some of this on Cakewalk.
However, we have been hearing some bizarre stories, like the CEO of Overture (notation software) Offering Cakewalk a deal that would include it in Sonar as an integration. But Gibson declined. So the CEO came back with an almost practically free integration offer (with hopes of users buying full versions) and Gibson denied that as well. This wasn't rumored, The CEO said it himself on this forum about 2 weeks ago.
http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3698875

So while I do blame Cakewalk, I have to wonder about Gibson's motives.
Cakewalks Momentum was out less than 10 days before Gibson shut it down. Hardly enough time to see if it could reap the benefits on this new software. IMO, Gibson saw more money in a "business bust write off" than they wanted to invest in a company probably breaking even (but had potential).

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

SteveStrummerUK
  • Total Posts : 31112
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/16 17:13:08 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Zargg 2017/12/16 18:36:07
chuckebaby
SteveStrummerUK

I believe that is a fair question and yes, I definitely put some of this on Cakewalk.
However, we have been hearing some bizarre stories, like the CEO of Overture (notation software) Offering Cakewalk a deal that would include it in Sonar as an integration. But Gibson declined. So the CEO came back with an almost practically free integration offer (with hopes of users buying full versions) and Gibson denied that as well. This wasn't rumored, The CEO said it himself on this forum about 2 weeks ago.
http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3698875

So while I do blame Cakewalk, I have to wonder about Gibson's motives.
Cakewalks Momentum was out less than 10 days before Gibson shut it down. Hardly enough time to see if it could reap the benefits on this new software. IMO, Gibson saw more money in a "business bust write off" than they wanted to invest in a company probably breaking even (but had potential).

^^^ This

Nice to see such a balanced view Charlie.

Gibson definitely wouldn't have taken on Cakewalk from Roland if they didn't see it making them some money at some stage in the future (shock/horror - business wants to make money).

The real crux of the matter is surely how they envisaged this was likely to happen.

I'd tentatively suggest that Gibson's two most likely means of recouping both the cost of buying Cakewalk and subsequently bankrolling it would be:
  1. The obvious one - by guiding/overseeing the development of the business until it was no longer losing cash but producing income for both Cakewalk and Gibson
  2. By steering the ship (maybe in similar fashion to 1. above) until Cakewalk was in a fit enough financial state to realise their investment by selling it on to a third party (or even to a Cakewalk management buy-out)
However, it seems that option three (in my humble opinion by far the worse option for every party concerned), i.e. cutting their losses and running (while facilitating as much of a cash-grab as possible?) has been the chosen path.

I doubt we'll ever know the real facts, and speculation will continue to be rife. But business is business, and profitable companies will always outlast failing ones.

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

Maarkr
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 488
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/16 18:03:11 (permalink)
Studio One sounds open to ideas from Sonar users.  Have any of the bakers gone to work for them?  or admit it?   Maybe tweak some Sonar enhancements slightly into Studio One to avoid copyright infringement?  Is their programming done in Baton Rouge? Culture shock Boston to BR, lol.

Maarkr
Studio: SPALT Lifetime/BL Cakewalk, Studio One 3.5, UAD, Z3ta+2, IKM, NI, Waves, iZotope, Melda, Reaper
i7 3770/Giga Z77 mobo, Win10 Pro-64 w16Gb, MOTU Ultralite MK4, Yamaha HS80M wSub, Live: PX-5S, FA-06, Roland Lucina, Epi Les Paul, Ibanez Bass, Amps, e-drums, Zoom R-16...
Latest album release, NEW! Counry Classic at http://genemaarkr.bandcamp.com/
CoteRotie
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1112
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/16 18:55:02 (permalink)
Today's rambling:

My ex-wife worked for Opcode.  I've heard a Henry story or two :)

I still went for the lifetime subscription knowing what was very likely to happen.  Given the pace of upgrades, new features and bug fixes I even started to hope that things would be OK.  Not shocked that they aren't.  You don't get half a billion dollars in debt with no clear path out if you have stellar management.

Still, I don't feel bad that I did my part to support the Bakers, they did a lot of good work and I feel like most of them put in a huge effort.  Personally I don't feel too bad about the lifetime thing.  I understand how others might feel cheated.

SONAR still has some annoying bugs, yesterday I found one working with Vocalign and ARA, and one with automation and Dim solo.  Could have to do with plugs or something else outside SONAR, but I'm moving as quickly as I can to Studio One AND Cubase. I don't want to spend time without official support to track down bugs that  have no chance of ever being fixed if they're really SONAR bugs.

So far I've spent the most time with Studio One and I'm finding it super-easy to work with and stable but lacking in some things I'm used to in SONAR. (Or at least I haven't found out how to do them in S1 yet.) 

For example I'm missing Dim Solo, especially during vocal comping (missing SONAR's vocal comping too!).  Maybe it's there, but I haven't figured out how to activate it yet.  It does have solo follows selection which is kind of nice.

Wait, wait, what key is it in? 

GA-X58A-UD3 motherboard
Intel i7 950 CPU w/12 G RAM
ATI Radeon 4350 graphics
3 cats 1 crazydog
Lynx AES16/Aurora 8
SCA N72 J99 & A12 pres. Adam A7 Monitors
Win 10  
SONAR Platinum 64 bit 
stratman70
Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3044
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/16 19:06:31 (permalink)
Hey Dave

I am with you. I've said this before. Gibson WAS the BIG dog, the daddy in the house, the man, whatever. The buck stops with them....PERIOD. IMHO of course.

lludwick
  • Total Posts : 74
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/16 20:50:48 (permalink)
I just bought a new music computer. First thing I installed was Sonar. So simple just load the command center and have everything install cleanly. Blah ... what a kick in the teeth. Roland will not get much good publicity from this for sure. I will certainly express my opinion of Roland on all my music sites.

I am 70 years old and have had this software from when it was the first beta. I will use it until I can't keep it running. Maybe it will outlast me. However, I can see myself making another DAW selection ... most likely a DAW that is not in the software graveyard.

I am sorry for all of us, especially the younger folks who could have profited from an excellent program with exceptional programmers.

The least they could do is give us a download of everything we have now where we would not have to rely on an online site to recover from a software catastrophe. 

Larry Ludwick

My Music on Soundclick:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=823722

JClosed
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 690
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/16 20:57:38 (permalink)
lludwick
I just bought a new music computer. First thing I installed was Sonar. So simple just load the command center and have everything install cleanly. Blah ... what a kick in the teeth. Roland will not get much good publicity from this for sure. I will certainly express my opinion of Roland on all my music sites.

I am 70 years old and have had this software from when it was the first beta. I will use it until I can't keep it running. Maybe it will outlast me. However, I can see myself making another DAW selection ... most likely a DAW that is not in the software graveyard.

I am sorry for all of us, especially the younger folks who could have profited from an excellent program with exceptional programmers.

The least they could do is give us a download of everything we have now where we would not have to rely on an online site to recover from a software catastrophe. 

Ehh - Roland??  I am sure you mean Gibson yes?
Wibbles
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 404
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/16 21:58:29 (permalink)
I blame Edison. Electrocuting Topsy led to all of this.

I'm off to see the Wibble, the wonderful Wibble of Wobble

daveny5
  • Total Posts : 16934
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/17 01:02:58 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby SteveStrummerUK 2017/12/17 03:27:21
Good point, Steve.... OK, I am pissed at both of them especially Cakewalk for foisting the **** Lifetime Updates on us fully knowing that was their last desperation Hail Mary to make money. Oh, and BTW, today TASCAM updated their driver for the US16x08 audio interface for the new release of Windows 10 and now I'm getting an error in Cakewalk "WDM Sampling Rate mismatch" even though I only use ASIO mode. So now I can only deal with them. If the problem is something in Sonar, I could be screwed. 

Dave
Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
G1Records
  • Total Posts : 10
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/17 02:26:34 (permalink)
Will i ever be able to buy the plugins im yet to own? I rely on cakewalk its too good thats there problem. Aslong as it works and i can set up on another system the world is not over.
G1Records
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/17 02:28:23 (permalink)
Next thing you know they will discontinue the speakers i want before i buy them 👀
daveny5
  • Total Posts : 16934
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/17 13:11:41 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby SteveStrummerUK 2017/12/17 16:15:37
I wouldn't buy anything from Cakewalk or Gibson at this point. 

post edited by daveny5 - 2017/12/18 17:32:46

Dave
Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
deswind
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 952
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/17 15:58:30 (permalink)
I bought a Les Paul just days before the announcement.  I would not have done so, had I known.
anydmusic
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 251
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/17 17:22:24 (permalink)
G1Records
Next thing you know they will discontinue the speakers i want before i buy them 👀

If you are think of KRKs, have you seen the ones designed for Behringer by Keith R. Klawitter?

I know that Behringer are not the most popular manufacturer but they seem to be trying to raise their game.

Graham
Windows 10 64 bit - Intel i7-4790, 16GB, 2 x 256GB SSD
Cubase 9.5
Sonar Platinum (Rapture Pro, Z3TA 2, CA2A, plus some other bits)
Delta 24/96, UAD 1, UA25 EX, 2 x MidiSport,
IKMultiMedia - (SampleTank 3, Miroslav 2, Syntronik, TRacks 5, Modo Bass), Band In A Box, Sound Quest, VS Pro, Kinetic, Acid, Sound Forge, Jammer
Waves MaxxVolume, IR 1, Aphex Enhancer, Abbey Plates
Korg Legacy, VStation, Bass Station
anydmusic
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 251
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/17 17:29:13 (permalink)
daveny5
I wouldn't buy anything from Cakewalk or Gibson at this point. 

There mas be some good deals on a Gibson in 2018 if they go under. Personally I might be tempted if there are but for me the current guitars they make are seriously over priced. At least a guitar does not need the same type of support as software.

Now for me its time to focus on making music and learning Cubase.

Graham
Windows 10 64 bit - Intel i7-4790, 16GB, 2 x 256GB SSD
Cubase 9.5
Sonar Platinum (Rapture Pro, Z3TA 2, CA2A, plus some other bits)
Delta 24/96, UAD 1, UA25 EX, 2 x MidiSport,
IKMultiMedia - (SampleTank 3, Miroslav 2, Syntronik, TRacks 5, Modo Bass), Band In A Box, Sound Quest, VS Pro, Kinetic, Acid, Sound Forge, Jammer
Waves MaxxVolume, IR 1, Aphex Enhancer, Abbey Plates
Korg Legacy, VStation, Bass Station
Veets
  • Total Posts : 73
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/17 21:36:48 (permalink)
jtma508
Any chance that those of us that 'bought' the 'lifetime subscription' have the makings of a class action suit against Gibson?  

I have been thinking about that too.  I copied and pasted an email reply from tech support which I decided to buy the lifetime updates.  I ended up purchasing the LT updates on 07/28/16 for $199.99. The issue becomes, how much will it cost me in legal fees to get back $199.99?

This was my email query to CW:

"Thanks. Just curious, if I miss out on this deal, what will the cost be?  I have a ton of things coming up that I may not be able to purchase it.   I was able to upgrade last year for the $149.99 as that was doable but $199.99 is out if my budget for now."

Cakewalk's reply:
"If you don't purchase lifetime updates and the offer were to expire, then you wont be able to update to lifetime updates. After August 31st 2016, I cant say for certain what changes will be made to the upgrade pricing model or if the offer will be perused further. If the offer were to continue after August 31st (which is not necessarily the case, i'm just using it as an example) Then the price would still be $199 for people who own Sonar Platinum currently. If there were no upgrade available for users who currently own Sonar Platinum, then it would all be based around (most likely) a monthly subscription to rolling updates.

Once again I cant say for sure one way or the other what will happen after the expiration date of August 31st 2016."

As I read the reply, the rep said he couldn't say "for certain what changes will be made to the upgrade pricing model or if the offer will be perused further"  I think Cakewalk knew that Gibson was going in this direction, a company just doesn't decide that overnight.

Is anyone else considering legal action?

Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 729
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/17 21:45:12 (permalink)
Veets

Cakewalk's reply:
then it would all be based around (most likely) a monthly subscription to rolling updates.

Well at least they are finally admitting it was a 'Subscription'

Which is exactly what it was right up until you paid your last months payment (if you paid monthly) if you stopped at anytime before that you were left with squat.

Intel i7 4790 @3.6Ghz - 32GB Ram - Windows 10 Pro 64bit - RME Fireface UFX+
Studio One 4 Professional, REAPER, CbB-(Couldnb't be Bothered)
More Plugs than Plumbers Warehouse.

Happy Studio One User Since August 2015

"It's the entertainment value, the comic relief . . . plus the Software and Deals Forum"

Karyn
Ma-Ma
  • Total Posts : 9200
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/17 21:51:42 (permalink)
Let's not start this again,  it was a payment plan.  As with any payment plan you get to keep only if you keep up the payments.

Now keep on topic please.

Mekashi Futo
Get 10% off all Waves plugins.
Current DAW.  i7-950, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, 12Gb RAM, 1Tb SSD, 2x2Tb HDD, nVidia GTX 260, Antec 1000W psu, Win7 64bit, Studio 192, Digimax FS, KRK RP8G2, Sonar Platinum

G1Records
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/17 22:29:50 (permalink)
Not keen tbh the les paul tobbaco burst are the only ones i fancy at the minute. And the fact they're are not popular means i could start a trend or maybe not lol
G1Records
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/17 22:31:21 (permalink)
You cant buy anything from Cakewalk last i checked?
feal
  • Total Posts : 34
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/17 22:31:25 (permalink)
pissed off like so many others I doubt that crowd funding could give us back Sonar since IMO it's rather taylored to one off products like HW toys but not to SW that needs to be updated everynow and then. Gibson should sell the intellectual properties to the left over staff of cakewalk who is willing to go ahead with developing Sonar further.
curious to see what they will offer to those who went for the lifetime subscription.

post edited by feal - 2017/12/17 23:57:01
G1Records
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/17 22:35:36 (permalink)
Its a shame. How long have you been using Sonar?
G1Records
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/17 23:09:40 (permalink)
Speakers?
MelisaNg
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/18 09:39:02 (permalink)
Hoping ROLI swoops in and buys Cakewalk.  Wishful thinking, I know.
Page: << < ..3637383940.. > >> Showing page 40 of 59
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1