Helpful ReplyLockedCakewalk Announcement

Page: << < ..2122232425.. > >> Showing page 22 of 59
Author
jaxman12
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 32
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/11/23 18:27:37 (permalink)
I've gone through the shock and reality of what has happened.  To say the least, I felt depressed.  But that is turning to moving on.  I have no expectations that someone will buy up Cakewalk and keep it going.  If someone does, that would be fantastic.  If no one does, then so be it.  Albert Ellis wrote a book titled "How to Stubbornly Refuse to Make Yourself Miserable about Anything--yes, Anything"!  In the book it talks about dealing with tragic situations and dealing with them.  The focus of the book relies on the following statement and saying to yourself,  "I wish this had not happened, there is nothing I can do about it, but my life will still go on and I can still be reasonably happy".  

I realize that there is no amount of wishing that will bring Sonar back.  But there are plenty of excellent options out there.  Sweetwater has on their website a Cubase 9.5 Competitive Crossgrade for current owners of a select group of DAW owners.  The list includes Sonar Platinum/Producer.  The Crossgrade is $324.00.  Cubase 9.5 is $545.00 regular price and there is an option for 3 easy payments.  

So in closing, I will say "I wish this had not happened, there is nothing I can do about it, so I bought Cubase 9.5 Competitive Crossgrade for $324.00. My life will still go on,  and I'm going to be REALLY HAPPY"!
nzpaul
  • Total Posts : 36
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/11/23 20:01:39 (permalink)
Jarsve
Should we make a petition page to ask Microsoft rescue Sonar and make it like a Office system? 

It would be great if anyone could continue it, although with Microsoft I'd find it ironic based on the fact I was stung by their dealings with Truespace. I'd invested a lot of time and money in that software, then Microsoft bought out the company, offered the product for free to use with their Virtual Earth setup, then they killed it because it wasn't making any money - Doh!

Mad_Musicologist
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 118
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/11/23 20:02:35 (permalink)
Just was trying to purchase another year of rolling updates when I was redirected to that terrible site telling me Cakewalk has become history. 
Catastrophic for the bakers who gave their best for a splendid software, catastrophic for us users who have grown to so many fine features in Cakewalk. Having to learn a new software from scratch is painstaking, so I hope "lifetime" is meant to be at least the next 20 years. 
When I saw that announcement Cakewalk had been bought by Gibson, I had a strange negative feeling. I thought, Gibson is for guitarists. A DAW isn't specialized. Apparently Gibson doesn't care about the Cakewalk users. They had them as paying clients, but now, we CW users weren't really needed after all.
My feeling is that Cakewalk shouldn't be put in the ground after all the achievements.
nzpaul
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/11/23 20:18:34 (permalink)
Anderton
Mark D.
What we've always pined for is good stability, and improvements in ability to install, re-install, re-authorize in new machines. The Command Center is really an example of that kind of progress. In other words a scaled down Sonar that only updates bug fixes plus further portability and in ease of use and upgrading enhancements, with the only advancements being easier to use edit features, audio engine / quality improvements (if that's even possible, well, when 128 bit comes along, I guess). Those things I would happily as someone who's also bought the lifetime free subscription last year pay $100 per year on an added subscription to maintain.

I don't think I'm alone.

You are not. I suggested putting sonar platinum on reverb.com for $99 "as is." That would be enough to keep some developers on retainer to tweak the program, do bug fixes, etc. Every year, I would see having the updated version available for $99 again. I felt this would keep the program alive, the company in existence, and make it easy to build back the brand at a later date if desired. Of course, it was ignored. But I still think it was a good idea.

You could combine the two suggestions; a subscription for support releases (predictable income) + selling the product on Reverb.  The trick is setting the subscription level to be attractive to all. For $100 a year you might only get a small number of people willing to subscribe for bug fixes, but for $50 a year you might get more than double.

I'm sure there are a lot of people in the community here who would also volunteer to beta or alpha test any releases too. 

How easy is it to set up a petition here?

ØSkald
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1248
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/11/23 20:18:39 (permalink)
nzpaul
Jarsve
Should we make a petition page to ask Microsoft rescue Sonar and make it like a Office system? 

It would be great if anyone could continue it, although with Microsoft I'd find it ironic based on the fact I was stung by their dealings with Truespace. I'd invested a lot of time and money in that software, then Microsoft bought out the company, offered the product for free to use with their Virtual Earth setup, then they killed it because it wasn't making any money - Doh!

That's a bummer. But making a petition to make Microsoft buy out Cakewalk, and make Sonar a paid system like office and office 365. And Music Maker can be migrated to store. I think most of us gladly will pay $15-20 a month for Sonar like for Office 365. I don’t remember the exact sum in $ for Office 365 because I pay in Norwegian Kroner. And of course Microsoft will have to put their own calculated price on this. We might not get monthly updates out of this. Maybe 2 updates a year like Windows, but that is way better than other solutions. Microsoft even has a gigantic insider user base. And by this we can change how Sonar develop in the future. I’m an insider myself and has been since the start. It really works. What we say they listen to. Getting cakewalk under this is a golden opportunity. They might rebrand it. Change file endings *.cwp and *.cwb too. But as Cakewalk did before. Make it backward compatible.

Asus TUF Z370-Pro Gaming, Bugera Trirec Infinium, Cakewalk Platinum, Corsair RM750 750W, Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4x8GB, Gigabyte GTX 960 2GB, Genelec 6010A with 5040A sub, Ibanez AEG10II BK, Ibanez Iron Label RGIR27E BK, Ibanez Iron Label RGIR28FE BK, Ibanez RG550 RF, Ibanez RG570 FMCS, Ibanez SR506 BM, Intel Core i7 8700K, USB, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate with Kontrol S61, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe SSD, Samsung SSDs 840 EVO 1TB, Toontrack EZdrummer 2, Toontrack EZMix 2, Toontrack Superior Drummer 3, UA Apollo Twin Duo, Windows 10 Pro
nzpaul
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/11/23 20:33:08 (permalink)
Jarsve
That's a bummer. But making a petition to make Microsoft buy out Cakewalk, and make Sonar a paid system like office and office 365. And Music Maker can be migrated to store. I think most of us gladly will pay $15-20 a month for Sonar like for Office 365. I don’t remember the exact sum in $ for Office 365 because I pay in Norwegian Kroner. And of course Microsoft will have to put their own calculated price on this. We might not get monthly updates out of this. Maybe 2 updates a year like Windows, but that is way better than other solutions. Microsoft even has a gigantic insider user base. And by this we can change how Sonar develop in the future. I’m an insider myself and has been since the start. It really works. What we say they listen to. Getting cakewalk under this is a golden opportunity. They might rebrand it. Change file endings *.cwp and *.cwb too. But as Cakewalk did before. Make it backward compatible.

I agree, anyone taking over would be a good thing. Just reflecting on my previous post about petitioning Gibson, I suppose the problem is if they're that close to bankruptcy, then we'd just be flogging a dead dog :(

I'm sure the lifetime subscription offer can be dropped as part of the deal. 

We could set up a petition on change.org

It would of course need both parties to come to the table. 

ØSkald
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/11/23 20:44:25 (permalink)
nzpaul
Jarsve

I agree, anyone taking over would be a good thing. Just reflecting on my previous post about petitioning Gibson, I suppose the problem is if they're that close to bankruptcy, then we'd just be flogging a dead dog :(

I'm sure the lifetime subscription offer can be dropped as part of the deal. 

We could set up a petition on change.org

It would of course need both parties to come to the table. 

i made one here Microsoft. Please rescue Cakewalk and Sonar out of Gibson.

Asus TUF Z370-Pro Gaming, Bugera Trirec Infinium, Cakewalk Platinum, Corsair RM750 750W, Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4x8GB, Gigabyte GTX 960 2GB, Genelec 6010A with 5040A sub, Ibanez AEG10II BK, Ibanez Iron Label RGIR27E BK, Ibanez Iron Label RGIR28FE BK, Ibanez RG550 RF, Ibanez RG570 FMCS, Ibanez SR506 BM, Intel Core i7 8700K, USB, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate with Kontrol S61, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe SSD, Samsung SSDs 840 EVO 1TB, Toontrack EZdrummer 2, Toontrack EZMix 2, Toontrack Superior Drummer 3, UA Apollo Twin Duo, Windows 10 Pro
stratman70
Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3044
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/11/23 21:02:34 (permalink)
Well I sure would NOT be happy to pay per month for a software I have paid for for almost 3 decades. 
Best idea is let us re authorize and take our chances with OS. I can run Win 8.1x64 forever (well in my lifetime, I'm old) I can put win 10 on my laptop if i feel a need to. which I don't.

ØSkald
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/11/23 21:05:48 (permalink)
stratman70
Well I sure would NOT be happy to pay per month for a software I have paid for for almost 3 decades. 
Best idea is let us re authorize and take our chances with OS. I can run Win 8.1x64 forever (well in my lifetime, I'm old) I can put win 10 on my laptop if i feel a need to. which I don't.

I understand that. But that is between Gibson and you. And they have to pay you back.

stratman70
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/11/23 21:05:58 (permalink)
garry
Life happens. No more Cakewalk updates. Sucks, but I can live with that. My current version of SPlat works just fine for my needs. All I want is the ability to re-install my lifetime license software without having to phone home to a server that may or may not be running when/if I need it.

Exactly...........This is the Best scenario.    IMHO of course!

stratman70
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/11/23 21:38:18 (permalink)
Jarsve
stratman70

I understand that. But that is between Gibson and you. And they have to pay you back.

No, I do not want\need a refund. I need just what I stated above. Thats all. I also can see how some would pay a subscription price. Just saying. To each his own. I get it...

ProMusic27
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 341
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/11/23 21:53:04 (permalink)
I saw it coming when the VS-700 absurd occured... gladly I got my money refund by Roland Brazil... since them I gradually stoped to pay for upgrades... the last time I've paid was just before the lifetime offer... glad I didn't jump on it... I am on reaper now... such an incredible software... at the end of the day, the only thing that remains as a good thing about Cakewalk is the users... sorry for hear it... I was a user since cakewalk 3.1... sad news indeed.
post edited by ProMusic27 - 2017/11/23 23:22:01

Mauricio Monteiro - Brazil
Intel I7 2.8Ghz 16Gb ram | Win 7 64 | Sonar Platinum 64 | UAD-2 Octo | UAD-2 Quad | VS-700 rack | VS-100 | FaderPort | JBL 4326 monitors | A-88 | Integra 7 | iRig keys 37 PRO | Akai MPD 226 | Full AIRA system | XPS-10 | JP-8000 | Super JV-1080 | R-8 | R-44 field recorder.

ibediggin
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 268
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/11/23 22:03:23 (permalink)

amd 10-6700 apu, 3.70 ghz,24gb 16gb usable.
sonar platinum 64 bit operating system latest upgrades
.komplete audio 6
WINDOWS 10
BigSully
  • Total Posts : 9
Re: Cakewalk Announcement - Access to video and other video and documentation 2017/11/23 22:15:47 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby cparmerlee 2017/11/24 02:06:58
So sad to hear this on Thanksgiving. So Cakewalk/Gibson, what is the possibility of your videos and documentation archives being made available for download? Not that I don't believe your desires to keep the site up, but as this news shows ... things change. Those of us who wish to keep using our software and learning from it could make the option of downloading this to our own drives. Also, verification that we can reinstall when (not if) the servers are shutdown. Some of us not only purchased lifetime subscriptions but have been users and fans for years. I know I don't want to even think of moving to another DAW. That is a compliment to your team! Best wishes to all of you in getting quickly employed. 
Westside Steve Simmons
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 196
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/11/23 22:47:53 (permalink)
Yep
kday
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 206
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/11/24 00:31:38 (permalink)
Honestly, the Cakewalk closure really doesn't hurt or strain my music production on Sonar at all.

I can use the Sonar program I got for the next 20 years of business, and very little will change along the music industry that will finally render the program obsolete.

The only major thing that can render Sonar obsolete is what ? 
SteveStrummerUK
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 31112
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/11/24 01:18:13 (permalink)
Matron Landslide
noynekker

nice advice, thanks for responding . . . live long and prosper Alex

JFYI, I am neither Doktor Avalanche, nor am I Straummy, but I don't mind what I am called or what anyone thinks, it's all good

LMAO!

I can definitively confirm that the good Matron is not me.

And 'she' certainly doesn't seem to fit the persona for CakeAlexS...

... which is nice.

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 729
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/11/24 01:29:13 (permalink)
Matron Landslide
noynekker

nice advice, thanks for responding . . . live long and prosper Alex

JFYI, I am neither Doktor Avalanche, nor am I Straummy, but I don't mind what I am called or what anyone thinks, it's all good

LMAO!

I can definitively confirm that the good Matron is not me.

And 'she' certainly doesn't seem to fit the persona for CakeAlexS...

... which is nice.

Sorry . . . Double post

doh . . . . the secret is out

Intel i7 4790 @3.6Ghz - 32GB Ram - Windows 10 Pro 64bit - RME Fireface UFX+
Studio One 4 Professional, REAPER, CbB-(Couldnb't be Bothered)
More Plugs than Plumbers Warehouse.

Happy Studio One User Since August 2015

"It's the entertainment value, the comic relief . . . plus the Software and Deals Forum"

Straummy
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 113
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/11/24 01:39:28 (permalink)
Matron Landslide

It is now

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

SteveStrummerUK
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 31112
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/11/24 01:40:43 (permalink)
Straummy
Matron Landslide

It is now

Hey, we're talking to myself again 

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

mk31762
  • Total Posts : 20
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/11/24 01:55:04 (permalink)
If the product will continue to work, then why am I suddenly in Demo mode!? The only reason I'm reading this is because I came here to find out if any one else was having the same problem. I paid a lot of money for this package over the years. Is it all going to end like this?
jbow
Max Output Level: -0.2 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7601
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/11/24 02:40:34 (permalink)
Thank you Noel and Company (sans Gibson) for all you have done. I really hope there is a new beginning in this story rather than just an ending. May the road rise to meet you...
Julien

Sonar Platinum
Studiocat Pro 16G RAM (some bells and whistles)
HP Pavilion dm4 1165-dx (i5)-8G RAM
Octa-Capture
KRK Rokit-8s
MIDI keyboards...
Control Pad
mics. 
I HATE THIS CMPUTER KEYBARD!
jbow
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/11/24 03:12:20 (permalink)
Anderton
LJB
I'm a little shocked right now - being a professional engineer who runs my studio totally on Sonar for projects this now forces me to look at other DAWs, learning curves, decisions about how to transition to another DAW, never mind all the Sonar specific plugs that I know like the back of my hand.... wow... much to contemplate.

Same here. I found out Friday that Cakewalk was officially closed down from contacts at other companies, and called Noel on Sunday just to make sure. To me it's like a death in the family.

On the bright side, there are still people using ancient versions of SONAR, so I think it's probably safe to assume I'll get plenty more years out of it before Windows changes to the point where it's unusable.

On the other hand...as I've mentioned before, I also use Studio One Pro for the mastering-oriented Project page functions and Ableton Live for live performance. I've always felt SOP was closest to SONAR, so I guess it's time to learn the Song page functionality and move on.

I'm downloading the Studio One Pro soundsets in the background...

BTW someone might want to hip Gibson to the typo in the "Annoucement" headline.

Thank you Craig, I was reading.. hoping to find input from you. I’ve looked at several DAWs and S1 P certainly looks like the best bet. I can’t tell if Muxbus is 64bit or just works with it. Cubase, from what I can tell is 32, but I’m not sure S1 P says it is 64bit, that matters to me. Also it’s the most affordable of the bunch though I have not looked at Reaper.
Something I read on a FB Cakewalk users group that jumped out at me is that Gibson is about 350
Million in debt and Cakewalk May have more value to them as a write off loss on their taxes than it would have for them if they sold it. That is something to think about. If someone could get the code, then there are those who would run it but that may not be an option, I dont know.
I do know that I’m glad to know you’re using S1P. I think you’re more of a traditional musician. I’m not looking for something to make beats or electronic music but some synth, VSTs, program drums, play guitar, sing, record. S1P sounds like a deal at $99..I think it’s $199. Cubase is about $350 for a crossgrade and Mixbus (if you get everything) is $300 IIRC. I heard somewhere that Prosonus is talking about a special crossgrade price for SPLAT users. I dont know if it will beat the $199 but I hope it shows in the next 5 days.
Thanks for the help. I’m sticky my with Sonar but going to spend time, more time in S1.
Julien
post edited by jbow - 2017/11/24 04:41:03

Sonar Platinum
Octa-Capture
KRK Rokit-8s
MIDI keyboards...
Control Pad
mics. 
deswind
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 952
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/11/24 03:35:15 (permalink)
If Gibson has a business loss in general, they do not need a deduction for a loss on Cakewalk. 
But Gibson, which I think is doing really well with guitars (they are better than they use to be), should care about its reputation.  And working with other companies to share the Sonar codes would be very helpful.
jbow
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/11/24 04:38:48 (permalink)
You know.. November, just before Christmas may seem a lousy time to hear you don’t have a job BUT it is better than January when you’ve just spent a lot on a nice Christmas because you thought everything was going along fine. Maybe it’s better this way. Now they know to cut back and plan wisely, I dont know.. just a thought. Certainly not defending Gibson. I’ll never buy another Gibson or Epiphone, they used to make great guitars.., in the 50s but those days are LONG GONE and the crappy guitars they peddle now, for too much money (Agile is better), will not sustain them in this time of remixing and loops. Bye Felicia (Gibson)!

Sonar Platinum
Octa-Capture
KRK Rokit-8s
MIDI keyboards...
Control Pad
mics. 
stratman70
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/11/24 04:41:32 (permalink)
@JBow

Curious?  where did you see $99?
Thanks

jbow
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/11/24 04:47:29 (permalink)
deswind
If Gibson has a business loss in general, they do not need a deduction for a loss on Cakewalk. 
But Gibson, which I think is doing really well with guitars (they are better than they use to be), should care about its reputation.  And working with other companies to share the Sonar codes would be very helpful.

Good, sounds good. I hope they care but I doubt it, after all they are GIBSON! Some people just don’t learn or learn everything the hard way. I hope that isn’t the case. I have X3 and current SPLAT but I may jump for S1P because I feel insecure over all this. I’m in the process of setting up (finally) a dedicated studio room and am glad to know this now. I hate change and I really hate surprise change that I don’t understand... but there’s lots of things that I don’t understand but it’ll be ok. It’s just life.
J

Sonar Platinum
Octa-Capture
KRK Rokit-8s
MIDI keyboards...
Control Pad
mics. 
jbow
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/11/24 04:51:01 (permalink)
stratman70
@JBow

Curious?  where did you see $99?
Thanks

I was mistaken. It was $199, I was looking at several options and got mixed up. I think I fixed it, I’ll check. Sorry, if I do see that I’ll surely post it with a link!

Sonar Platinum
Octa-Capture
KRK Rokit-8s
MIDI keyboards...
Control Pad
mics. 
midisync12
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/11/24 05:36:08 (permalink)
Starting a kick-starter campaign sounds like an excellent idea.   The intellectual assets for this product have to end up somewhere. 
SuperG
Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1371
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/11/24 05:45:51 (permalink)
deswind

I'm thinking the same thing. If Gibson, in the short time it has owned Cakewalk has managed to recover some portion of it's acquisition cost, the value might just be in writeoff. Selling Sonar would tend to mess that up.

laudem Deo
Page: << < ..2122232425.. > >> Showing page 22 of 59
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1